PDA

View Full Version : Swordmage vs. Caster test (theterran)

Jarian
2010-10-05, 12:59 PM
Since I offered the challenge, I'll leave the map choice up to you. If you don't have anything, I suggest we take something from the Arena thread, if you're familiar with it.

theterran
2010-10-05, 01:03 PM
Doesn't matter to me...pick which ever you like...

Jarian
2010-10-05, 01:07 PM
http://i876.photobucket.com/albums/ab330/ArenaManager/Arenas/08-kyaces_glass_arena.png

Would you prefer to have one buff round, or zero?

theterran
2010-10-05, 01:11 PM
Again, this is for your benefit, what ever you feel like the Swordmage needs, go for it :smallwink:

Jarian
2010-10-05, 01:14 PM
Zero buff rounds.

Initiative: [roll0]

Your opponent for today is a two-foot tall, yellow-and-platinum scaled kobold with leathery wings twice again as wide as he is tall. Aside from a very light set of leather armor, he doesn't seem to have any means of defending himself.

" 'ey boss, looks like I forgot to bring my weapon. Go easy, wouldja?"

Edit: Starting position, B-13.

theterran
2010-10-05, 01:20 PM
:smallbiggrin:

Your opponent is a black scaled kobold of similar stature...

"Don't worry, I seem to have left mine at home as well...oh wait...I can lend you one of mine...I have too many!"

[roll0]

As an aside, I have the Mindsight Feat, so if you come within 100ft of me...I'll know your exact location, your type (which is kobold, though I'm not sure if you're dragon or humanoid at this point), and your Int Score..:smallwink:

Starting in Y13 with 2 greatswords on the ground beside me and a dagger in one hand and a bead in the other......

Jarian
2010-10-05, 01:23 PM
Type: Dragon.

Int: 11.

Proceed.

I assume you'll be starting with Steeldance? :smalltongue:

theterran
2010-10-05, 01:29 PM
Terran - Round 1

Don't assume :smallwink:

I activate the prayer bead in my hand and place it in my pocket.
[roll0] (Assuming DC is 20 for bead of Karma)

Your turn. :smallsmile:

Jarian
2010-10-05, 01:36 PM
Oh, okay then.

Swordsy McMage, round 1

Swordsy swings an empty hand as if stabbing the air with a dagger - and suddenly a blade of force appears in his hand. It disappears an instant later, but he seems to move faster now.

Move to M-7, end turn.

theterran
2010-10-05, 01:39 PM
Terran - Round 2

Cast a spell.
Steeldance.

The greatswords begin spinning around me.

Your turn. :smallsmile:

Jarian
2010-10-05, 01:40 PM
I'd bother trying to spellcraft that, except that I know exactly what it is. :smalltongue:

Which square did you start in, by the way?

Derp.

Jarian
2010-10-05, 01:50 PM
Swordsy McMage, round 2

Swordsy disappears momentarily, reappearing in R-13 stabbing the air with a dagger of force.

He then draws a halberd of force out of the air and leaps towards Terran, attempting to skewer him.

Observers:Dragoon Leap, auto pass jump check to reach his square.

Attack: [roll0]
Damage on hit: [roll1] force damage.

If it hits, make a fort save or be knocked back ten feet.

Turn not complete, need to see what happens.

Jarian
2010-10-05, 01:51 PM
Right, attack is treated as an automatic critical, so...

Bonus damage: [roll0] force damage.

Edit: I AM SO SMART AND I CAN TOTALLY READ ACTIVATION TIMES.

...this one is a standard, not an attack action. Disregard entirely. :smallredface:

theterran
2010-10-05, 01:52 PM
:smallsmile:

Immediate action: Wings of Cover...:smallwink:

Jarian
2010-10-05, 01:53 PM
Figures, but I made a mistake. See above edit.

Actual action coming in a sec.

Will continue as I would have before, since I shouldn't know about WoC.

Jarian
2010-10-05, 01:58 PM
Stepping out of his daydream of being completely broken, Swordsy instead draws a bow of light out of the air and takes aim at Terran.

Damage: [roll1] force damage.
If it hits, make a fort save or be dazed for 1 round.

Not done.

Jarian
2010-10-05, 09:12 PM
Should have clarified that I was waiting to see what you do before I finish my turn.

theterran
2010-10-05, 09:13 PM
:smallsmile:

Cast a spell: (Spellcraft DC17)
Wings of Cover

Your attack does not seem to strike home...

Jarian
2010-10-05, 09:20 PM
Immediate action as you begin to cast your spell: Swordsy draws a bow of electricity and force and fires an arrow at you.

Damage: [roll1] force damage, plus [roll2] electric damage.

If it hits:Dispel magic counterspell attempt: [roll3]

And yes, I know that WoC is an immediate action casting time. Disruptive Discharge specifically allows counterspelling no matter how short a casting time the spell has.

theterran
2010-10-06, 05:47 AM
Lovely...so I need to make a Fort Save then...:smallsigh:

[roll0]

What's the DC? :smallconfused:

And what's your location?

Jarian
2010-10-06, 08:33 AM
DC 19.

Position, R-13.

Attack 3: Swordsy draws a dagger of lightning out of thin air and hurls it at you.

Damage: [roll1] force + [roll2] electric, plus an additional [roll3] electric, reflex DC 21 halves.

If it hits: Fort save, DC 21 or50% chance to take no actions next round.

Turn complete either way.

theterran
2010-10-06, 08:42 AM
:smallconfused:

I'm dead...

Explain to me how exactly that works? :smalleek:

And care to try again? :smallamused:

Jarian
2010-10-06, 12:31 PM
Well, to be fair, we're supposed to be playing with pulled spell damage. Assuming you took half damage from all of the attacks so far, are you still up?

theterran
2010-10-06, 12:55 PM
[roll0] I believe so...

I'm just curious to know how you're attacking/casting multiple times like you are...

(edit)

And are you holding any weapons when it's not your turn? (I.E. is there some way for you to take AoOs?)

Jarian
2010-10-06, 01:02 PM
Many Swordmage incantations are attack action activation, not standard. The ones closer to being on par with spells damagewise (Dragoon Leap, amongst others) take either a standard or a full-round to activate. I'm using Quickblade for an extra attack per round, resulting in a total of 3 possible incantations used per round.

Note that Swordmages function like Martial Adepts, so I can't keep doing this for long without recovering.

Swordmages threaten any spaces they could reach with a melee-range incantation they have readied but unexpended. No, I'm not holding a weapon, but for a Swordmage, that doesn't mean much.

theterran
2010-10-06, 02:36 PM
I will cast a spell. Spellcraft DC17
Alter Self

I morph into a tiny dragon (a shadow dragon if you know arcane stuff). Then I will fly to M1 and end my turn.

Jarian
2010-10-06, 03:31 PM
Attack action 1: Daggerhail at junction of N9/O10, +15 elevation. Minimum damage is enough to shatter all the glass on the ceiling in the 10ft burst.

Attack action 2: Grappling Hook to edge of glass on the border of N-9/N-8 +20, using "Pull Self to Target" option.

Attack action 3: Blink Dagger to N-1 +20.

Fall for failing to maintain forward momentum. Auto-pass checks to reduce falling damage to 0.

Your turn.

theterran
2010-10-07, 07:01 AM
Lovely...

First off, since you're next to my, my whirling swords both get hits against you.

Sword 1
[roll0]
[roll1]

Sword 2
[roll2]
[roll3]

Now, I 5ft step to L-1

Cast an Immediate spell (Spellcraft DC19)
Greater Mirror Image [roll4]
Seven copies of me spring to life about me and intermingle with me, making it difficult to know which is the real me.

I then cast another spell (Spellcraft DC19)
Wings of Flurry

Dragon Wings of Force appear all about and pummel you for [roll5] Force Damage. Reflex Halves (DC 21)

Then I turn it back to you.

Jarian
2010-10-07, 11:11 AM
Close-eyed AoO with Silence Glaive when you cast your Wings of Flurry:

Blind Misschance: [roll0] [roll1] Result of 1 on either indicates a hit.
Attack: [roll2]
Damage: One half of [roll3] force damage + [roll4] sonic damage.

On hit,You are affected by a targeted Silence effect. The Incantation technically allows no save, but that's ridiculous for a nearly at-will ability in my opinion. Will save or be Silenced until further notice.

theterran
2010-10-07, 12:09 PM
Alright, blind miss chance? What exactly is that?

And this class seems incredibly over the top imho...

Jarian
2010-10-07, 04:47 PM
Mirror Image (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/mirrorimage.htm)'s chance to hit a different target only applies if they can see you. Swordsy closed his eyes and swung blindly, incurring a 50% misschance. He has the Blind-Fight feat, allowing him to roll the miss chance twice.

Level's 6-11 are the class's prime power level, but you're right. Changes do have to be made. Quickblade can't allow you to get another Incantation attack, Silence Glaive needs to allow a save, etc. I'm not playing this to say "Ha! I win!", I'm doing it to find out what needs changing to bring the class in line with others.

theterran
2010-10-07, 04:51 PM
I understand...I was just pointing out that it's incredibly powerful...even to a fault...

And I'm dead again...:smallwink:

If you'd like to try again...I won't mess around with the steeldance stuff :smallwink:

And I'd like 1 buff round :smallwink:

Jarian
2010-10-07, 05:18 PM
Go for it. I'll be playing with the above proposed changes, which means I'll be changing my Incantations Readied slightly.

Jarian
2010-10-07, 05:21 PM
Durr, right, should probably roll init. :smalltongue:

[roll0]

Starting location, B-13.

theterran
2010-10-08, 05:49 AM
:smallbiggrin:

[roll0] - Note that the character I'm using is now banned due to the usage of the Draconic Rites...and I'm switching out a few spells that are just underwhelming all around...
Y13 I will start in.

theterran
2010-10-08, 06:56 AM
Alright 1 buff round.

Standard action: Activate Bead
[roll0]

Swift Action: Cast a Spell (Spellcraft DC16)
Karmic Aura

Round 1

Cast a spell: Spellcraft DC17
Alter Self

Morph into a Tiny Shadow Dragon, fly up and around, ending at T-13 (+20ft), and having enough movement to keep my forward momentum.

Your go.