PDA

View Full Version : good idea?

DragonsAion
2010-10-05, 01:49 PM
I'm getting into a lvl 10 gestalt game and I was thinking of playing a half-vampire shadowcaster/ranger type.

some of the fixs for the shadowcaster that my DM is allowing is that they get armored mage (light) at first lvl and that their casting is based off INT.

Tyndmyr
2010-10-05, 01:56 PM
Well, put the LA on the non-caster side of the gestalt.

Why ranger?

Boci
2010-10-05, 02:56 PM
So your aiming for an unltimate undead stalker? A lot depends on how LA is being handled. If its a single side it could work. If its split on both sides best to avoid. If its apply full to both sides then avoid like the plague.

The two classes have little synergy and the shadowcaster is a tad underpowered, but there are fixes, including an unofficial one by the class's creator.

Optimally, a necropolitant / rogue 4 / swashbuckler 6 (or swordsage 1 / Swashbuckler 9) // shadowcaster 10 would probably be better, and if the DM insists on keeping the SC as it is, you might want to consider swapping it for a different full caster and just focusing/refluffing for shadowy spells. If you're okay with refluffing, the beguiler could be a good choice.

Person_Man
2010-10-05, 03:15 PM
Shadowcaster? Other then Flicker, what is it that you hope to gain by being one, as opposed to a Tier 1 or 2 caster?

Same question on Ranger. There's mechanically not much of a reason to be one given the existence of the Totemist, Incarnate, Factotum, Binder, Swordsage, Warblade, etc.

Same question on Half-Vampire. +2 Str/Dex/Cha/NA, slam attack, limited Fast Healing 1, limited Energy Resistance, and one meh ability, for +2 LA?

What are your build goals and books allowed.

DragonsAion
2010-10-05, 03:18 PM
Well, put the LA on the non-caster side of the gestalt.

Why ranger?

*full BAB
*favored enemy
*combat feats
* "dark creature" animal companion

However I may just go with rogue as the shadowcaster seems to mix better with it.

Tyndmyr
2010-10-05, 03:25 PM
If not using partial BaB, take a full BaB class for level 1 on one side, with a casting class on the other side.

Then, take a casting class on the first side. The +1s will alternate.