PDA

View Full Version : (3.5) The Tuu'Ugley(race, PEACH)

Ilmryn
2010-10-05, 05:52 PM
The Tuu’Ugley turtlefolk
The Tuu’Ugley are a reclusive race of turtle-like humanoids living in the shallow parts of the Underdark, usually near water. Their society is mainly tribal, they are not very well organized. Their personality as seen by humans is slightly insane, they are prone to being manic-depressive, and often doing random things.
Alignment: Tuu’Ugley are usually Chaotic Neutral due to their slightly insane mindset. Lawful individuals are very rare.
Adventures: As their society is very loose, Tuu’Ugley often become adventurers. In fact, this race likely has more adventures per person that any other race; however, they are rather rare as the race is uncommon.

Racial Traits
+2 Str, -4 Dex, +2 con, -2 wis, -2 cha. Tuu’Ugley are stronger and tougher than humans, but they are rather slow and clumsy. They are ever so slightly insane, and humans tend to regard them as ugly and unsocial.
Medium size.
Base land speed: 20 feet, swim 20 feet
Shell: A Tuu’ugley has a tough shell giving it a +4 natural bonus to AC. It also possesses the ability to retreat into the shell. When fighting defensively, a Tuu’ugley gains the benefits of cover. When taking the total defense action, it gets the benefits of improved cover. The shell makes it difficult and redundant for a Tuu’ugley to wear armor. The shell can be sundered, it has hardness 10 and hit points equal to the Tuu'Ugleys full normal hit points. Sundering the shell reduces the ac bonus to +2(pieces are still attached) and makes the Tuu'ugley unable to use the shell for cover. The shell regains hitpoints at the same rate as the character, shell hp are first regained when other hp is healed. Magical healing will restore hp to the shell if the Tuu'ugley is at full hp. Armor must be specially made at twice normal cost, and provides only half the normal AC bonus. Penalties apply as normal. Magical AC bonuses are not halved.
A Tuu’ugley has a enhanced ability to hold its breath, allowing it to hold its breath up to 1 minute per point of constitution.
Darkvision out to 30 ft.
Automatic Languages: Common and Undercommon. Tuu’Ugley do not have their own language.
Favored class: Fighter.
Level Adjustment: +0

Racial Feat
Immediate Retreat
You can quickly retreat into your shell.
Prerequisites: Dex 10, must have a shell.
Benefit: You can retreat into your shell as an immediate action, gaining the benefit of total cover. If you do so, you cannot perform any actions on your next turn and are treated as dazed. You retain the cover bonus for as long as you remain in your shell, coming out is a swift action.

EDIT-Added darkvision.
EDIT2-New rules for the armor-I'll keep the orginal to avoid confusion. OK, it is an armor bonus. The shell can be enchanted like regular armor, the Tuu'ugley must be present for the entire process.

DracoDei
2010-10-05, 06:00 PM
Don't know about balance, but the overall concept is reasonable. Low-Light vision might make sense if they live in the underdark, if not Darkvision (which might require knocking them to +1 LA or toning down some other aspect).

Should be +4 natural armor, rather than +4 racial.
"rather slow" rather than "rater slow".

Ilmryn
2010-10-07, 03:58 PM
Anyone? I really want some critque on this before the campaign starts...

Fable Wright
2010-10-07, 04:16 PM
My suggestion: make the natural armor bonus just a plain armor bonus; armor is now redundant. Natural armor is just really powerful for an LA+0 race, and your rules on armor are just needlessly complicated. Possibly make it scale like the Dragonscale Husk ACF; give it an additional +1 bonus/4 character levels. This seems like it would be a good, not overpowered choice for a race.

Emperor Ing
2010-10-07, 04:21 PM
This might be off-topic, but did anyone else read this as the "Too Ugly" race?

Andraste
2010-10-07, 04:30 PM

I did. Thought it was going to be something with a really big charisma penalty.

I agree, the armor is too complicated. I suggest lowering the natural armor and making armor work normally, or just make the shell count as just an armor bonus instead of natural armor.

Ilmryn
2010-10-07, 05:50 PM

It is. I made this race up for a friend who had gotten it into his head that he wanted to play a magic knight turtle, with the tragemark of being ugly.

Emperor Ing
2010-10-07, 06:14 PM
In that case i'd eliminate the Wis penalty, give another +2 to Con, and make it -6 Cha if they're THAT ugly.

Kuma Kode
2010-10-08, 01:04 AM
I don't think they're overpowered. They have a net -4 penalty to their stats and an inability to wear normal armor, as well as pretty much nothing else going for them but their shell. Though I do think that the shell should be considered armor, not natural armor. Mage armor essentially makes a suit of armor made of force on you, so anything that would preclude you from using a suit of armor should prevent you from wearing mage armor, as well.

Also, making the shell armor would mean it could be enchanted by spells like Magic Armor or such. Though if you're going to keep the cover, you might want to mention how difficult the shell is to sunder (hardness/HP) and whether or not the creature is physically attached to its shell like a true turtle.

Ilmryn
2010-10-12, 05:30 PM
Did some updating on the armor. Isn't there some race with a similar built-in armor? Warforged?