PDA

View Full Version : Rogue/Opportunist Question

zenanarchist
2010-10-05, 06:36 PM
First, g'day people.

Secondly, Opportunist. It states that you make make an attack of opportunity against a foe who makes a melee attack against an ally. Now it does not say you have to threaten the square the opponent is in to make the attack of opportunity. So... Am I right in thinking that as a pixie rogue with +4d6 SA I can use the opportunist ability to sit back 30ft in combat and each round make one attack (SA) retain invisibility and then take an attack of opportunity with my hand crossbow from 30ft away, dealing SA again?

Help?

Finally, as stated. I am a pixie rogue. Thus my dexterity is extremely....extremely high. However, what methods do I have for remaining unseen when a blasted spellcaster dismisses my invisibilty? (Other than reactivating it again next round)?

true_shinken
2010-10-05, 06:51 PM
Now it does not say you have to threaten the square the opponent is in to make the attack of opportunity.

Well, that's a requirement for attacks of opportunity in general, so it wouldn't work, no.

zenanarchist
2010-10-05, 06:53 PM
Hmmm. That seems to somewhat defeats the purpose of calling it opportunist.

Thanks for the prompt response :smallbiggrin:

Assassin89
2010-10-05, 06:53 PM
I don't think you can because an attack of opportunity is a single melee attack and the use of a hand crossbow probably does not count as a melee attack.

zenanarchist
2010-10-05, 06:55 PM
I don't think you can because an attack of opportunity is a single melee attack and the use of a hand crossbow probably does not count as a melee attack.

... double bugger.

Out of curiousity, anyone know why an attack of opportunity was defined solely as a melee attack? Seems to me it takes less effort to raise your arm and pull a trigger as opposed to raising your arm and swinging a weapon.

Eurus
2010-10-05, 06:59 PM
First, g'day people.

Secondly, Opportunist. It states that you make make an attack of opportunity against a foe who makes a melee attack against an ally. Now it does not say you have to threaten the square the opponent is in to make the attack of opportunity. So... Am I right in thinking that as a pixie rogue with +4d6 SA I can use the opportunist ability to sit back 30ft in combat and each round make one attack (SA) retain invisibility and then take an attack of opportunity with my hand crossbow from 30ft away, dealing SA again?

Well, that's a requirement for attacks of opportunity in general, so it wouldn't work, no.

Yeah, pretty much. You can only AoO an enemy in a threatened square; Opportunist just changes the rules for what type of actions provoke AoOs on people you threaten.

Finally, as stated. I am a pixie rogue. Thus my dexterity is extremely....extremely high. However, what methods do I have for remaining unseen when a blasted spellcaster dismisses my invisibilty? (Other than reactivating it again next round)?

People dispelling your invisibility should be a tertiary concern at best. Think about it: if a spellcaster dispels it, he just used his turn and a spell slot to get a chance (even if it's a good chance) to make you visible, when you can just go invisible again next turn. Unless your party is actually outnumbered by enemy spellcasters or something, that should be a GOOD thing; every turn he spends dispelling your at-will SLA is one turn he's not blasting the party to gooey bits or buffing himself.

A bigger problem is people with See Invisibility/True Seeing, which isn't all that hard to get. For the former, I recommend a wand or a few oils of Blacklight. It'd run pretty expensive, but the ability to generate a field of total darkness that you and only you can see through is pretty nice. They can dispel it, yeah, but see above. For the latter, you're in trouble, since that's a good indicator that you're not dealing with any old mook. Probably easiest to just make hide checks (which, as a tiny creature, you should have a massive bonus on) and have your party caster try to dispel it.

Eurus
2010-10-05, 07:00 PM
... double bugger.

Out of curiousity, anyone know why an attack of opportunity was defined solely as a melee attack? Seems to me it takes less effort to raise your arm and pull a trigger as opposed to raising your arm and swinging a weapon.

Balance, mostly. If a dude with a crossbow could snipe anyone casting a spell (or drinking a potion, or moving) within 500 feet, it might get a little messy.

zenanarchist
2010-10-05, 07:04 PM
Yeah, pretty much. You can only AoO an enemy in a threatened square; Opportunist just changes the rules for what type of actions provoke AoOs on people you threaten.

Fair.

People dispelling your invisibility should be a tertiary concern at best. Think about it: if a spellcaster dispels it, he just used his turn and a spell slot to get a chance (even if it's a good chance) to make you visible, when you can just go invisible again next turn. Unless your party is actually outnumbered by enemy spellcasters or something, that should be a GOOD thing; every turn he spends dispelling your at-will SLA is one turn he's not blasting the party to gooey bits or buffing himself.

....Fair point. As a secondary question, can I hide whilst I am invisible so that upon a dispel invisible I am still hidden? That would nullify my worries a bit.

A bigger problem is people with See Invisibility/True Seeing, which isn't all that hard to get. For the former, I recommend a wand or a few oils of Blacklight. It'd run pretty expensive, but the ability to generate a field of total darkness that you and only you can see through is pretty nice. They can dispel it, yeah, but see above. For the latter, you're in trouble, since that's a good indicator that you're not dealing with any old mook. Probably easiest to just make hide checks (which, as a tiny creature, you should have a massive bonus on) and have your party caster try to dispel it.

You have me intrigued....Blacklight? Do explain this oil. Also, which wand? Darkness?

Balance, mostly. If a dude with a crossbow could snipe anyone casting a spell (or drinking a potion, or moving) within 500 feet, it might get a little messy.

....Okay good call. However, hand crossbow range is 30ft. 45 feet with far shot.

true_shinken
2010-10-05, 07:13 PM
....Okay good call. However, hand crossbow range is 30ft. 45 feet with far shot.
That is a range increment.
Max range is x10 that.

Curmudgeon
2010-10-05, 07:18 PM
Boosts for Opportunist:

Savvy Rogue feat (Complete Scoundrel): as many uses of Opportunist as your Combat Reflexes permit
Ranged Threat feat (Dragon # 350, page 90): threaten within 15' with a ranged weapon, but only one use per round

The best use for Opportunist is if you threaten a large area, such as a Large creature with a spiked chain: 20' melee threat range.

zenanarchist
2010-10-05, 07:22 PM
That is a range increment.
Max range is x10 that.

For the purposes of my question though I was referring to SA, which can only be done at a max range of 60ft. But yeah I see where you're coming from.

Boosts for Opportunist:

Savvy Rogue feat (Complete Scoundrel): as many uses of Opportunist as your Combat Reflexes permit
Ranged Threat feat (Dragon # 350, page 90): threaten within 15' with a ranged weapon, but only one use per round

The best use for Opportunist is if you threaten a large area, such as a Large creature with a spiked chain: 20' melee threat range.

Well I'm a pixie, so that's out. However ranged threat in combination with opportunist, combat reflexes and savvy rogue would be insane.

Boci
2010-10-05, 07:30 PM
For the purposes of my question though I was referring to SA, which can only be done at a max range of 60ft. But yeah I see where you're coming from.

30ft without a feat IIRC. Theres also an exotic crossbow that allows SA with a 30ft range increment, but thats another story.

Well I'm a pixie, so that's out. However ranged threat in combination with opportunist, combat reflexes and savvy rogue would be insane.

Arrow mind allows you to threatan adjacent squares I think.

zenanarchist
2010-10-05, 07:33 PM
30ft without a feat IIRC. Theres also an exotic crossbow that allows SA with a 30ft range increment, but thats another story.

I did mean to add that, heh. Thanks! However, I would like to hear this "story" :smallbiggrin:

Arrow mind allows you to threatan adjacent squares I think.[/QUOTE]

I think I may have to give the AoO a miss it seems. I'll be hanging as far back out of combat as I can. In the oddest places I can find to try and nullify being spotted. 5 foot step shall be my friend.

lsfreak
2010-10-05, 07:48 PM

Ranged threat is 1/rnd, no matter what. Combat Reflexes doesn't help it, unless I'm remembering wrong.

zenanarchist
2010-10-05, 07:49 PM
Ranged threat is 1/rnd, no matter what. Combat Reflexes doesn't help it, unless I'm remembering wrong.

Even one a round would be useful with rogue/assassin SA though.