PDA

View Full Version : Favorite 2H Weapon?

Black_Zawisza
2010-10-06, 12:05 AM
As the title says. Mine is the Spiked Chain; if not using an exotic weapon, the Falchion.

What yours?

senrath
2010-10-06, 12:06 AM
Probably either the good-old Greatsword or the Guisarme.

Remmirath
2010-10-06, 02:15 AM
Probably the greatsword, although I'm somewhat partial to the greataxe as well. I do tend to prefer swords in general.

Octopus Jack
2010-10-06, 02:25 AM
The Glaive closely followed by the Heavy Flail.

Emmerask
2010-10-06, 02:30 AM
War-Scythe since there is none in d&d (afaik) a Scythe will do :smallwink:

gallagher
2010-10-06, 02:36 AM
i dont remember what it is called, and it may be homebrewed, but i found in a game i played in a hammer that did 1d12 and had reach, and could be set against a charge because it had a spike on the end.

it was pretty much the bomb.

Gavinfoxx
2010-10-06, 02:37 AM
Greatclub if I can convince the DM to let Shillelagh to work on it...

Falchion or Great Scimitar, maybe...

Duom! Yay reach and threaten nearby!

Shademan
2010-10-06, 02:37 AM
lucrene hammer

Skaven
2010-10-06, 03:30 AM
Usually Greatsword, unless i'm a Minotaur at which point its Greataxe for the theme.

Rowsen
2010-10-06, 03:32 AM
Halberd. It makes me feel like a big man.

Farlion
2010-10-06, 03:39 AM
Two-handed Wand of Fireball? :smallbiggrin:

If that doesn't count, Longbow.

Cheers,
Farlion

GoodbyeSoberDay
2010-10-06, 03:41 AM
Composite longbow. If you mean melee, glaive. As you see, I don't often play "in your face" types.

WitchSlayer
2010-10-06, 03:44 AM
Executioner's Axe

HunterOfJello
2010-10-06, 04:11 AM
Fullblade

Elven Courtblade in Pathfinder (since elves get prof. for free)

Spiked Chain

Goliath Greathammer

Mercurial Greatsword

Zen Master
2010-10-06, 04:30 AM
Falchion or greatsword. Of course that's also influenced by race - as a dwarf I'd use a greataxe.

Leon
2010-10-06, 04:51 AM
Exotic
Elven Courtblade - Dual Damage, High Threat, Weapon Finesse.

Normal
Halberd - Dual Damage, High Crit, Multi Purpose

Stephen_E
2010-10-06, 04:57 AM
EXotic - Spiked Chain.

Other - Halberd.
DnD treates it poorly, but it's still cool.

Stephen E

dsmiles
2010-10-06, 04:58 AM
Honestly, the Lochaber Axe, which was thrown out with the rest of the polearms when 2e came along. Soooooo...scythe, I guess.

Psyx
2010-10-06, 05:43 AM
Greatsword. Because greatswords are awesome weapons.

dsmiles
2010-10-06, 05:46 AM
Greatsword. Because greatswords are awesome weapons.

No, they're not awesome weapons.

They're great swords. :smalltongue:

Dusk Eclipse
2010-10-06, 06:24 AM
Spiked chains, kusari-gama (DMG version) and heavy flail have a sweet spot in my heart.
.I am more a light weapon user (love dual wielding :smallsmile: but if I have to choose a thw I would choose either falchion, glaive or Naginata (OA).

DaMullet
2010-10-06, 06:37 AM
Greataxe! D12 Represent!

MarkusWolfe
2010-10-06, 06:44 AM
Greataxe! D12 Represent!

Same here.

Also partial to reach weapons when playing a fighter.

Greenish
2010-10-06, 06:54 AM
War-Scythe since there is none in d&d (afaik) a Scythe will do :smallwink:I've always imagined that the martial weapon is a war scythe. Normal scythe is just a tool for dirt farmers (2d4 S, 20/x2, improvised).

Mine would probably be falchion. I tend to imagine the D&D "falchion" as a gross messer (ie. big, slightly curved, one sharp edge).

Valenar Double Scimitar is a bit silly (especially in the illustrations), but I like it too.

Duke of URL
2010-10-06, 07:17 AM
Well, saying what my favorite two-handed weapon is is probably against forum rules...

My next favorite would be the scythe, especially when paired with the 3.0 weapon master PrC. Crit on 17-20/x5 FTW!

Amphetryon
2010-10-06, 07:55 AM
Guisarme, Halberd, Heavy Flail, roughly in that order. If the DM (foolishly :smallwink:) allows Keen and Improved Crit to stack, add the Great Falchion to the list and go-go Disciple of Dispater.

Ormagoden
2010-10-06, 08:08 AM
full blade

Yes... the full blade.

<PS. Force pikes>

Lhurgyof
2010-10-06, 08:18 AM
I looooove the Duom.

Greenish
2010-10-06, 08:43 AM
Honorable Mention for Quarterstaff (or Club), wand chambered with Wand of Shillelagh. 850gp is pretty decent price for a spare +1 weapon with greatsword damage that can be one-handed. (Of course, it costs a standard action to activate, and requires casting with druid list or decent UMD.)

Shenanigans
2010-10-06, 08:51 AM
I've always loved me the spiked chain and the duom, but for sentimental reasons, the Bohemian Ear Spoon is tops.

Vulaas
2010-10-06, 10:53 AM
Greathorn minotaur hammer :smalltongue:

tyckspoon
2010-10-06, 11:03 AM
Suuglin. Sure, it's horribly suboptimal, requiring you to burn 2 feats just to use it like a normal weapon, and it doesn't have anything really special to it mechanically to justify those two feats. But it is a bunch of antlers tied on a stick- it's as close as you get to an official weapon made by gluing together a bunch of other weapons.

Cogidubnus
2010-10-06, 11:10 AM
The fullblade. a) because it has high damage but more importantly, b) there's nothing more comical than the idea of a halfing with an ENORMOUS sword.

Lhurgyof
2010-10-06, 11:18 AM
Suuglin. Sure, it's horribly suboptimal, requiring you to burn 2 feats just to use it like a normal weapon, and it doesn't have anything really special to it mechanically to justify those two feats. But it is a bunch of antlers tied on a stick- it's as close as you get to an official weapon made by gluing together a bunch of other weapons.

Doesn't it do a silly ammount of damage and give you a bonus on intimidate, though?

Amphetryon
2010-10-06, 12:56 PM
For silly, I still think nothing beats the caber.

Dust
2010-10-06, 01:42 PM
From Dark Sun 4e, the Dragon Paw. It's a staff with blades at each end, as well as a blade over the gripped section so you can punch-stab people who get too close.

Ravens_cry
2010-10-06, 01:56 PM
Great Falchion from Sandstorm. Not only do I like the look of it for a desert campaign, but hitting like a Greataxe while critting like a Falchion is worth it, especially in Pathfinder.

Grynning
2010-10-06, 02:05 PM
I choose option d.) All of the above. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60864)

Shyftir
2010-10-06, 02:31 PM
I homebrewed a weapon for a Paladin character of mine. He was a human paladin of Moradin (raised by dwarves)

For lack of a better name we called it a "Great Hammer"

It did 2d6 damage and had a x3 crit, also it was so heavy that you incurred an armor check penalty if you were wielding one. (-1) It was of course exotic.

Nothing like scoring a crit on an improved smite with that bad boy.

another favorite is from the WoT d20 game. The ashanderei (sp?)
It has two styles of use, either as a 1d8 2h weapon, or as a 1d8/1d6 slash/bludgeon double weapon.

Spiryt
2010-10-06, 02:35 PM
For lack of a better name we called it a "Great Hammer"

It did 2d6 damage and had a x3 crit, also it was so heavy that you incurred an armor check penalty if you were wielding one. (-1) It was of course exotic.

Nothing like scoring a crit on an improved smite with that bad boy.

So it was worse than greataxe or greatsword, and yet exotic?

Or am I missing something?

Optimator
2010-10-06, 02:40 PM
Halberd and Heavy Flail.

T.G. Oskar
2010-10-06, 02:50 PM
Oddly enough, while I am a fan of zweihanders IRL (hand-and-a-half, also known as "bastard" swords (no particular reason why, maybe it's because of their size or the fact that they're in-between a one-hand sword and a two-hand sword?), I usually don't use two-hand swords in-game. Usually go for the sword & board path.

However, if I were to go for those I'd favor, I'd say the Jovar. Same stats as greatsword except you have a 18-20 range, and it deals slashing damage. Elven Courtblade is similar, except is finessable and deals piercing damage. The fact the Jovar has fluff linking it to Celestia is the icing on the cake.

Well, not really. More like the garnish. The real winner is if you manage to get a ribbon version of the Jovar for 2d6 + 1.5 Str damage, 18-20/x4.

Greenish
2010-10-06, 02:57 PM
Oddly enough, while I am a fan of zweihanders IRL (hand-and-a-half, also known as "bastard"Wait, I thought zweihänders were exactly what it says in the tin.

Same stats as greatsword except you have a 18-20 range, and it deals slashing damage.Greatsword does slashing damage too. :smallconfused:

Amphetryon
2010-10-06, 03:03 PM
Elven Courtblade is similar, except is finessable and deals piercing damage.My copy of Races of the Wild says Elven Courtblade deals Piercing OR Slashing damage.

Ravens_cry
2010-10-06, 03:06 PM
I think the zweihander counts more as a Greatsword. Heck, it's name even means " Two-handed sword".

Dr Bwaa
2010-10-06, 03:07 PM
I can't believe it took 42 posts (and then, not even really!) for the fantastic Bastard Sword to come up! Come on guys, it's easily the best weapon, one-or-two-handed, anywhere! As a friend of mine said when designing a prestige class with me for a character of mine:

"You also get bastard sword proficiency."
"What? Why?"
"Why the hell not?"

Plus, it's really just cool to have a two-handed weapon that's light enough that when you aren't actively killing someone with it, you can twirl it in one hand (http://bit.ly/2RkTDa).

T.G. Oskar
2010-10-06, 03:12 PM
Wait, I thought zweihänders were exactly what it says in the tin.

Hand-and-a-half swords =/= zweihanders or two-handed swords.

Hand & half swords are meant to do what the bastard sword does in D&D; it can be used in one hand or in two hands, hence why the hilt was extended from that of a normal one-handed sword. Most one-handed swords could be wielded with two hands by taking part of the blade (where it connects to the hilt) and thrusting as if it were a very short spear; this, however, doesn't make them two-handed swords. Hand & half swords were mostly longer than one-handed swords, but smaller than two-handed swords; sort of an in-between size. Usually, and if my memory does not fail me, hand & half swords worked for mounted warriors who could wield the sword in one hand and handle the mount with the other hand, but on foot they were better used with two swords.

On the other hand, zweihanders were always meant to be used with two swords, and aside from a few, were usually meant for thrusting and hacking rather than the usual two-hand sword fighting style. Hence, why they had an extended hilt over the blade and parrying hooks. IIRC, zweihanders are two-handed swords, but not ALL two-handed swords; see the two-hander Claymore, which has a size that definitely extends beyond a hand-and-half sword but was used with a more traditional swinging style in mind. Not to mention that, again IIRC, the Spanish fencers used two-hand swords every now and then. However, their tactics weren't as those from German and Swiss zweihanders, which were used closer to how pikes were used and then when range was closer they resorted to hacking.

Of course, I could be wrong, but that's how I recall how they worked. The name for "bastard" swords, however, or at least as they are known currently, is "hand-and-a-half sword" (pointing at the versatility of one-handed or two-handed combat)

Greatsword does slashing damage too. :smallconfused:

Minor brain failure. I was thinking about the Elven Courtblade when I wrote about the Jovar, even though I know that the Jovar's only difference towards the Greatsword is being exotic and the increased threat range. Elven Courtblade has the same range but lesser damage, and it deals piercing damage (though I believe it also deals slashing, as it's "piercing or slashing")

Greenish
2010-10-06, 03:12 PM
I can't believe it took 42 posts (and then, not even really!) for the fantastic Bastard Sword to come up! Come on guys, it's easily the best weapon, one-or-two-handed, anywhere!Longsword is the same thing, except it doesn't require a feat.

Outside D&D, I'm not even sure what the difference between the two is.

[Edit]:
Hand-and-a-half swords =/= zweihanders or two-handed swords.Ah, that's what I thought, which is why I was confused when you seemed to say that they're the same thing.

Grynning
2010-10-06, 03:13 PM
The bastard sword is one of the most pointless weapons in 3.5. No reason to ever use it over a greatsword for 2h, and not worth a feat to use one-handed over a longsword (ooohhh, a 1-point increase in average damage).
In 4th ed, it became slightly better, as multiple weapon powers were generally improved by a higher weapon die.

As for the "twirling in one hand thing" - you can do that with two-handed weapons too, even IRL. It's just fluff.

Mordaenor
2010-10-06, 03:15 PM
Two-bladed sword, although I've never gotten to play a character who used one.

Spiryt

Bastard sword is a longsword that was better optimized for wielding in one hand than "average" longsword.

Popular mostly in 15th century AFAIK, although very first longswords in XII or XIII century were probably "bastardish" - slightly larger swords with longer grip.

Sipex
Mordenkrad, 4th edition version (since that's what I play).

2d6 Brutal 1 damage? Yes please.

Amphetryon
2010-10-06, 03:16 PM
The bastard sword is one of the most pointless weapons in 3.5. No reason to ever use it over a greatsword for 2h, and not worth a feat to use one-handed over a longsword (ooohhh, a 1-point increase in average damage).
In 4th ed, it became slightly better, as multiple weapon powers were generally improved by a higher weapon die.

It's useful (read: required) if you're aiming for a dip into Ronin for Banzai Charge, but otherwise, I concur.

Ravens_cry
2010-10-06, 03:17 PM
I choose option d.) All of the above. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60864)
That's pretty cheese for a charger due to the fact that bonus damage multiplies.

Grynning
2010-10-06, 03:21 PM
Mordenkrad, 4th edition version (since that's what I play).

2d6 Brutal 1 damage? Yes please.

I also like the Execution Axe, because it's an Axe and lets you use the Headsman's Chop feat, which is simultaneously messed up, hilarious, and effective.

Sipex
2010-10-06, 03:23 PM
I also like the Execution Axe, because it's an Axe and lets you use the Headsman's Chop feat, which is simultaneously messed up, hilarious, and effective.

I have not heard of this feat.

I may have to look into this.

Grynning
2010-10-06, 03:24 PM
It does 5 extra damage to prone targets any time you hit them with an Axe. For Barbarian and fighter knock-down builds it's pretty sweet.

Dr Bwaa
2010-10-06, 03:24 PM
Longsword is the same thing, except it doesn't require a feat.

Well yes, but longswords are just so BORING. Just tell your DM the argument you just told me, and get him to give you proficiency with this sub-par weapon for free :smallbiggrin:

As for the "twirling in one hand thing" - you can do that with two-handed weapons too, even IRL. It's just fluff.

The fluff is all I want. For example, my current bastard-sword wielder is a hilariously unoptimised Abjurer/Abjurant Champion/Incantatrix. I needed it to be a bastard sword so I could bastardize the thing even further--the sword is also my staff.

DrGonzo
2010-10-06, 03:25 PM
Flamethrower..

Deflect that, damn jedi!

T.G. Oskar
2010-10-06, 03:25 PM
Longsword is the same thing, except it doesn't require a feat.

Blame that on a myriad of definitions.

In D&D (RL weapon/D&D equivalent):
Longsword = one hand sword
Bastard Sword = hand-and-a-half sword. The idea of wielding the sword in one hand is essentially translated as Exotic Weapon Proficiency, but you can wield it on two hands if you want.
Greatsword = two-hand sword, mostly of the Claymore variety. A real Zweihander as the Germans or Swiss used them would be "piercing or slashing".

However, in RL (D&D version/RL version equivalents):
Short sword = short sword, but also saber in most occassions. Generally when speaking of cutlasses and similar weapons.
Scimitar = scimitar/shamshir, some military sabers with thinner curved blades, and a few others such as Kilij and Polish karabela.
Longsword = one-hand sword, typically a straight sword with two edges. Mostly seen as the knightly sword of Medieval age.
Bastard Sword = hand-and-a-half sword, but usually they are known as "long swords". Really, go to Wikipedia and look for "long sword"'; you'll be set to both hand-and-a-half swords and two-hand swords.
Greatsword = two-hand swords; again, they are also called "long swords" so that provides a bit of confusion.

Translating RL weaponry into their D&D equivalents can be a bit difficult without some unified definition, since you'll be confusing the RL long sword with the D&D longsword, which is the RL one-hand double-edge straight sword, and sabers come in many kinds such as short sabers, straight-edge sabers and curved sabers; the unifying point is that the saber generally holds a hilt guard while the D&D longsword generally doesn't.

Hmm...that reminds me; while not THAT powerful or interesting, the Two-Bladed Sword. Just because it's awesome (how practical it may be is another story).

Sipex
2010-10-06, 03:28 PM
It does 5 extra damage to prone targets any time you hit them with an Axe. For Barbarian and fighter knock-down builds it's pretty sweet.

Oh, I'm a Cleric so it doesn't really apply as much.

The Glyphstone
2010-10-06, 03:29 PM
I like the Duom, mainly because it makes almost as little sense as the Spiked Chain. Also, the minotaur greathammer for 19-20/x4 goodness.

Ruinix
2010-10-06, 03:29 PM
melee: hallberd
ranged: great long bow./ dual hand crossbow.

Greenish
2010-10-06, 03:31 PM
Well yes, but longswords are just so BORING.It is the most beautiful and elegant weapon ever designed, versatile and powerful.

And whether that's represented by d8 or d10 damage die doesn't make much difference, at the end of the day.

Grynning
2010-10-06, 03:50 PM
I like the Duom, mainly because it makes almost as little sense as the Spiked Chain.

The name is familiar, but I can't recall exactly what a Duom is, or what book it's from. Anyone care to refresh my memory?

Coidzor
2010-10-06, 03:56 PM
The name is familiar, but I can't recall exactly what a Duom is, or what book it's from. Anyone care to refresh my memory?

Dragon 331 is the best I can find. Piercing Polearm that is both reach and adjacent.

Master Thrower
2010-10-06, 03:56 PM
Mercurial Greatsword closely followed by spiked chain. reach and attacks adjacent squares yes thank you

Grendus
2010-10-06, 04:14 PM
For dwarves, the Urgrosh is always a fun weapon. Kind of a downer that it's exotic, but it's actually a halfway decent one handed weapon with the useful ability to defend against a charge. Kind of suboptimal though.

The two bladed sword is always fun. Again, kind of lame that it requires a feat just to use it, but it's not bad.

If you didn't have to be a gnome to use the thing, the hooked hammer would be an awesome weapon. Tripping weapon with x3/x4 critical and you can get weapon focus for both your main and off hand weapon with a single feat? Not too shabby. Shame it's a gnome weapon, and gnomes usually aren't melee.

Other than that, the greatsword is always a good choice. Great damage, good crit range, slashing damage, what else could you want.

Greenish
2010-10-06, 04:17 PM
For dwarves, the Urgrosh is always a fun weapon. Kind of a downer that it's exotic, but it's actually a halfway decent one handed weapon with the useful ability to defend against a charge. Kind of suboptimal though.You can swap a dwarf's racial proficiency from waraxe to Urgrosh, as per CWarrior.

If you didn't have to be a gnome to use the thing, the hooked hammer would be an awesome weapon. Tripping weapon with x3/x4 critical and you can get weapon focus for both your main and off hand weapon with a single feat? Not too shabby. Shame it's a gnome weapon, and gnomes usually aren't melee.What stops non-gnomes from using it?

Ryu_Bonkosi
2010-10-06, 04:28 PM
I will go with the flamberge from mercenaries. Only x3 crit but has 2d8 damage. Putting it, in my book, better than the scyth. Because if you just laminate it (same book) it gets a x4 crit also.:smallcool:

Greenish
2010-10-06, 04:29 PM
I will go with the flamberge from mercenaries. Only x3 crit but has 2d8 damage. Putting it, in my book, better than the scyth. Because if you just laminate it (same book) it gets a x4 crit also.:smallcool:Which book is that?

Amphetryon
2010-10-06, 04:33 PM
Which book is that?

AEG's Mercenaries, I think. 3rd party.

Ryu_Bonkosi
2010-10-06, 04:33 PM
Which book is that?

The eighth word in the first sentence.

Greenish
2010-10-06, 04:35 PM
The eighth word in the first sentence.Ah, it wasn't capitalized so I read it first as "I will go with the flamberge for mercenaries". :smallbiggrin:

Dusk Eclipse
2010-10-06, 05:05 PM
Might ask here, just to avoid posting another thread.

Wha the hell were WotC thinking when they sttated up the Drow Scorpion chain (awesome name BTW).

It is exactly the same as an spiked chain, reach and can be used against adjacent foes, the bonus to trip and dissarming, the only difference is that it deals 1d6 slashing damage.

I mean the Kusari-gama (DMG version) is exactly the same except it is a light weapon (so you can dual wield them).

Any idea on how to fix this weapon?

Greenish
2010-10-06, 05:14 PM
It is exactly the same as an spiked chain, reach and can be used against adjacent foes, the bonus to trip and dissarming, the only difference is that it deals 1d6 slashing damage.Doesn't it have some poison-related ability? Also, I think drow can gain proficiency for it and a bunch of other racial weapons with a feat, though I might be confusing it with something else.

Dusk Eclipse
2010-10-06, 05:17 PM
Doesn't it have some poison-related ability? Also, I think drow can gain proficiency for it and a bunch of other racial weapons with a feat, though I might be confusing it with something else.

Let me check my copy of Races of Eberron... but IIRC the posion was a racial feat of the Drows.

Edit: yeah the drow skikirimisher feat gives profficiency in xen'driks boomerang, drow long knife and drow scorpion chain the ability to use some feats for spiked chains and shortswords for scorpion chains and drow long knife... oh and a +1 to damage rolls if you move at least 5 fts.

Greenish
2010-10-06, 05:30 PM
Edit: yeah the drow skikirimisher feat gives profficiency in xen'driks boomerang, drow long knife and drow scorpion chain the ability to use some feats for spiked chains and shortswords for scorpion chains and drow long knife... oh and a +1 to damage rolls if you move at least 5 fts.Yeah, maybe they we're thinking about that. The long knife isn't worth a feat alone, chain is strictly inferior to a core weapon, boomerang is only useful with Boomerang Daze… but when you can get all three proficiencies and then some, it's not that bad.

The Glyphstone
2010-10-06, 05:48 PM
Dragon 331 is the best I can find. Piercing Polearm that is both reach and adjacent.

Correct. It's a polearm that looks like a longspear with three points on the head - one points forward, two point back towards you to the sides, so you can stab adjacent enemies...somehow, while still having reach. Oh, and it's a martial weapon.

amaranth69
2010-10-06, 05:57 PM
3.5: the spiked chain is awesome. It has reach and threatens adjacent enemies, trip, and disarm. Add in combat reflexes and you can keep the enemies off of the squishies.

4: Execution axe all the way to the bank. D12, vicious and brutal

Joshinthemosh
2010-10-06, 06:33 PM
Well, saying what my favorite two-handed weapon is is probably against forum rules...

Class act there. Well played good sir.

Well, not really. More like the garnish. The real winner is if you manage to get a ribbon version of the Jovar for 2d6 + 1.5 Str damage, 18-20/x4.

I would be eternally grateful and my DM will eternally hate you if you could lead me to where I can find this weapon.

drakir_nosslin
2010-10-06, 06:41 PM
Favorite 2h would probably be Dwarf.

When it comes to 1h I prefer Halflings, easier to throw as well.

:smallbiggrin:

Greenish
2010-10-06, 06:47 PM
I would be eternally grateful and my DM will eternally hate you if you could lead me to where I can find this weapon.Jovar is Planar Handbook. Kaorti Resin (from which Ribbon weapons are made) is from Fiend Folio (and can be found here (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/re/20031014a)).

balistafreak
2010-10-06, 06:56 PM
Correct. It's a polearm that looks like a longspear with three points on the head - one points forward, two point back towards you to the sides, so you can stab adjacent enemies...somehow, while still having research. Oh, and it's a martial weapon.

:smallconfused:

Speaking of research, I am unable to find an image of this weapon. It sounds hilarious in practice, but googling "duom" yields some hilarious NSFW results, and basically zero of actual weapons, sooooo...

There's one image, with duom mentioned in the accompanying text:

http://www.gothosenterprises.com/images/sheva.gif

Please tell me that is not a duom. :smallconfused: Seriously, what is that.

Joshinthemosh
2010-10-06, 07:10 PM
Jovar is Planar Handbook. Kaorti Resin (from which Ribbon weapons are made) is from Fiend Folio (and can be found here (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/re/20031014a)).

Thank you very much sir. I just got told by a friend that his Christmas present is going to be Tomb of Horrors. You had better believe this weapon is coming with me.

On topic. Gots to love some Elven Courtblade(we've beaten this one to death but it's still great). The Goliath Greathammer(1d12/x4) is awesome, Great Falchion(1d12 18-20/x2 YIKES!), Talenta Sharrash(1d10 19-20/x2). And speaking of things that no one has mentioned the Drawven Warpike from Races of Stone(2d6/x3)

The Glyphstone
2010-10-06, 07:25 PM

Speaking of research, I am unable to find an image of this weapon. It sounds hilarious in practice, but googling "duom" yields some hilarious NSFW results, and basically zero of actual weapons, sooooo...

The temptation to abuse my mind contromod powers and edit the quote is overwhelming.

dgnslyr
2010-10-06, 07:40 PM
Greatsword. A boring, effective weapon for a boring, effective character.

Lances are fun, too.

Emmerask
2010-10-06, 07:52 PM

Wow, this is just stupid. I´m a bit uncertain how you could attack with the 2 backwards spears, other then impaling yourself... even if one doesn´t use fumbles this weapon really deserves a fumble-chart :smallwink:

/edit and even if you somehow hit with one of the backwards things how are they supposed to penetrate anything with the twigs they are mounted on?

mangosta71
2010-10-06, 07:54 PM
I like things that either crit a lot or crit for absurd amounts of damage. Falchion, mercurial greatsword, or scythe.

Snake-Aes
2010-10-06, 08:11 PM
Spears and Falchions.

Leon
2010-10-06, 10:00 PM
4e
Urgrosh - While the 3.5 version is a big loaf of Meh the 4e one is one of my favourite weapons from that version of the game.

Doomboy911
2010-10-06, 10:02 PM
As a bard I like to beat the people with my guitar.

senrath
2010-10-06, 10:02 PM
Wow, this is just stupid. I´m a bit uncertain how you could attack with the 2 backwards spears, other then impaling yourself... even if one doesn´t use fumbles this weapon really deserves a fumble-chart :smallwink:

/edit and even if you somehow hit with one of the backwards things how are they supposed to penetrate anything with the twigs they are mounted on?

Those aren't twigs, those are metal.

dgnslyr
2010-10-06, 10:42 PM
As a bard I like to beat the people with my guitar.

You mean your Kabonger, right? His name wouldn't happen to be El Kabong, by any chance?

dsmiles
2010-10-07, 04:28 AM
You mean your Kabonger, right? His name wouldn't happen to be El Kabong, by any chance?

El Kabong is the greatest Bard evar.

Also, did I mention the Lochaber Axe?
http://www.tierracelta.com.ar/militaria/lochaber_axe_gr.jpg

FelixG
2010-10-07, 04:31 AM
spiked chain all the way!

Lhurgyof
2010-10-07, 07:56 AM
Great machuitl?

Lajatang or Kusari-gama.

KiltedGrappler
2010-10-07, 09:48 AM
Bohemian Earspoon

Mathis
2010-10-07, 09:55 AM
Great Axe. Even if I don't use it half as much as I want to, or half as much as I should, I love to roll some D12s. Represent!

The Glyphstone
2010-10-07, 10:39 AM

Have I mentioned that it's the only Martial reach-strike-adjacent weapon in the game?

thompur
2010-10-07, 10:43 AM
Bohemian Earspoon

Darn it Kilted, I was gonna say that!

O.K. then... Ransuer. Way back when, I was in a campaign, and a new player took the Ransuer, but misread it in the AD+D PHB, and called it RANGOR. So every time he attacked with it he shouted "RANGOR!!" Eventually, his character name became Rangor.

KiltedGrappler
2010-10-07, 10:53 AM
Darn it Kilted, I was gonna say that!

O.K. then... Ransuer. Way back when, I was in a campaign, and a new player took the Ransuer, but misread it in the AD+D PHB, and called it RANGOR. So every time he attacked with it he shouted "RANGOR!!" Eventually, his character name became Rangor.

Back when I was playing 2e, I played a Paladin named Sir Ransuer. Heard someone else say the word at some point and thought it'd make a great character name, especially for a knightly, sword-and-shield paladin.

It was only after we started playing that the DM and I found out it was the name of one of the many polearms. If an NPC ever brought it up or asked about a man named after a glorified spear using a sword, he'd tell them he had no idea what they were talking about. It was amusing enough that it'd pop up every few months or so.

Psyx
2010-10-07, 10:54 AM
Well yes, but longswords are just so BORING..

/jawdrop.

But...
they're...
gorgeous...

Why else would you want a character to wield a weapon?

Ravens_cry
2010-10-07, 10:58 AM
/jawdrop.

But...
they're...
gorgeous...

Why else would you want a character to wield a weapon?
Aye, it's not just the smiths of Old Nippon who made great swords. You don't have a warrior class work at killing each other for almost a thousand years without a demand for well made weapons.