PDA

View Full Version : low lvl Totemist Advice [3.5]

Partysan
2010-10-06, 07:31 AM
Once again out on a quest of character optimization, I come to the boards.
This time I have an existing character, a level 3 Skarn Totemist. Now I already know and read the Totemist Handbook and I know that Totemists are (mechanically) about going crazy with natural attacks, but my problem is: what to make of it at levels 1-6?
I mean, I can only use 3 differents soulmelds a day and I have just my totem chakra to bind. So what melds are useful without being bound and what is my best bet for the totem bind?
Up until now I was using the blink shirt for utility and the rage claws for essentially doubling my HP, but now I can't really decide what to use the totem bind on, since there's a lot of useful totem effects. For the record, I'd prefer melee for now, so the manticore belt will be something I'll be using when I have more melds available or I'll know I specifically need it.
Second problem: I have absolutely no idea what feats to take with this character. Multiattack comes to mind for 3rd level if I can get enough natural attacks by using the totem chakra, but I'm not sure there. No idea what to take for first level.
Can please anyone point me to feats and soulmelds for low level totemists?

PrGo
2010-10-06, 07:38 AM
Girallon's arms. That along with Multiattack and a Barbarian dip for pounce will give you some insane numbers early, and will still be useful later.

Greenish
2010-10-06, 07:48 AM
If you want melee, bind some claws to your totem, shape wormtail belt for AC and your third shape can be something for utility, for example a blink shirt.

Spinx Claws are two 1d8+e+Str
Girallon Arms are one 1d4+e+Str and 3 1d4+e+Str
Landshark Boots are, as far as I can decipher, two 1d6+e+Str or when combined with movement and jump check four 1d6+e+Str

If you have Multiattack, good strength and/or Expanded Essentia Capacity, Girallon Arms probably come ahead of Spinx Claws as long as you can make full attacks (though the difference with just single attack isn't that large).

If you can move and make the jump check (DC 20, or 40 if you don't move at least 10'), Landshard Boots draw ahead, but note that you can't use your spines when doing the jump maneuver.

At level 6, rejoice and bind Spinx Claws to hands for Pounce, with probably Girallon Arms for Totem.

drakir_nosslin
2010-10-06, 08:00 AM
For feats you probably want to throw in Expanded Soulmeld Capacity, as it really can make a lot of difference at early levels, and keep being useful all the way.

As for soulmelds, I agree that Girallon Claws or Landshark Boots are probably your best bet.

If you're a charger, go for landshark, otherwise, Girallon Claws can be great when facing lone, large opponents, as you can easily outgrapple most opponents.

Greenish
2010-10-06, 08:05 AM
For feats you probably want to throw in Expanded Soulmeld Capacity, as it really can make a lot of difference at early levels, and keep being useful all the way.Oh yeah, I think I got the name wrong.
If you're a charger, go for landshark, otherwise, Girallon Claws can be great when facing lone, large opponents, as you can easily outgrapple most opponents.Useful note: you can't actually combine the 4-claw attack of Landshark Boots' totem bind with Charge action. (The former requires Move + Standard, the latter is a Full-round.)

Amphetryon
2010-10-06, 08:08 AM
Rage Claws. Needs moar Rage Claws. The ability to keep fighting in negative HP is gold, even when they are not bound to a chakra.

drakir_nosslin
2010-10-06, 08:12 AM
Oh yeah, I think I got the name wrong.Useful note: you can't actually combine the 4-claw attack of Landshark Boots' totem bind with Charge action. (The former requires Move + Standard, the latter is a Full-round.)

Yea, but what I meant was if that he's constantly charging, he can use the landshark boots instead for better effect. Until you bind sphinx claws to your hands, that is. Then girallon claws are awesome :smallbiggrin:

Partysan
2010-10-06, 08:20 AM
Thanks, that seems all useful to me. I guess I'll go for the girallon arms, since the jump DC isn't realistically to make on a frequent basis without tweaking my jump check quite a bit.
Do you maybe have advice for my first level feat? (which I was allowed to wait with since both me and the DM were unexperienced with Incarnum).

drakir_nosslin
2010-10-06, 08:25 AM
Thanks, that seems all useful to me. I guess I'll go for the girallon arms, since the jump DC isn't realistically to make on a frequent basis without tweaking my jump check quite a bit.
Do you maybe have advice for my first level feat? (which I was allowed to wait with since both me and the DM were unexperienced with Incarnum).

Expanded Soulmeld Capacity, easy. Combined with Totem Chakra Bind you'll be able to invest 3 essentia into your totem meld, if that's girallon arms, then you have +3 to attack, +3 to damage, +8 to climb and grapple. Pretty decent bonuses I'd say. For level 3 take multiattack if your DM allows it, then you have a nasty attack routine.

Partysan
2010-10-06, 08:29 AM
Expanded Soulmeld Capacity, easy. Combined with Totem Chakra Bind you'll be able to invest 3 essentia into your totem meld, if that's girallon arms, then you have +3 to attack, +3 to damage, +8 to climb and grapple. Pretty decent bonuses I'd say. For level 3 take multiattack if your DM allows it, then you have a nasty attack routine.

Well, I think I will follow this advice, although I don't see the use of it for me at lvl 3, since I only have 2 essentia to invest at all :smallbiggrin:

Greenish
2010-10-06, 08:32 AM
Thanks, that seems all useful to me. I guess I'll go for the girallon arms, since the jump DC isn't realistically to make on a frequent basis without tweaking my jump check quite a bit.Oh ye weak of faith! Landshark boots boost your Jump check by 4+2e, and if you use them you'll want to have them fully pumped. Jump is a class skill, and you should have points to fill it. You'll have a high strength, too. At level 2, you can get 5 (ranks) + 10 (souldmeld, 4+[3*2]), and probably around 3-5 from Strength. With 18 Str, you'll auto-succeed the moving jump.

Do you maybe have advice for my first level feat? (which I was allowed to wait with since both me and the DM were unexperienced with Incarnum).Expanded Soulmeld Capacity is excellent. Multi-Attack is probably next on the list, but I doubt you could take it, and anyhow it's not useful prior to level 2.

drakir_nosslin
2010-10-06, 08:39 AM
Well, I think I will follow this advice, although I don't see the use of it for me at lvl 3, since I only have 2 essentia to invest at all :smallbiggrin:

Ah, sorry, only time I've played a low level totemist I was an Azurin, and they have one extra point of essentia, and I don't have the book here, so I was going of memory :smallsigh:
But, yea, Expanded Soulmeld Capacity is still one of the best feats for a totemist, and with a few incarnum feats you can have a lot more essentia :smallwink:
No flaws btw?

Partysan
2010-10-06, 08:40 AM
Oh ye weak of faith! Landshark boots boost your Jump check by 4+2e, and if you use them you'll want to have them fully pumped. Jump is a class skill, and you should have points to fill it. You'll have a high strength, too. At level 2, you can get 5 (ranks) + 10 (souldmeld, 4+[3*2]), and probably around 3-5 from Strength. With 18 Str, you'll auto-succeed the moving jump.
True, I didn't think of the essentia bonus. However while I could probably wiggle around my skill points to max up jump I'd have to cease wearing armor, which on low levels is surprisingly useful.

Expanded Soulmeld Capacity is excellent. Multi-Attack is probably next on the list, but I doubt you could take it, and anyhow it's not useful prior to level 2.
Yeah, I'm gonne take ESC on 1st and MA on 2nd. However I still find it amusing that there's no use for me right now in taking ESC, since it gives me a capacity of 3 while having only 2 essentia to distribute.

EDIT: About flaws, well I didn't think of getting extra feats while not knowing what to do with those I had. Besides, most flaws have quite uncomfortable effects and since my Totemist is a flexible character I don't want to shoehorn him into pure melee by taking shaky, so besides maybe murky-eyed there'd be no flaw I would want to take I guess.

Greenish
2010-10-06, 08:51 AM
True, I didn't think of the essentia bonus. However while I could probably wiggle around my skill points to max up jump I'd have to cease wearing armor, which on low levels is surprisingly useful.ACP for light armour is 1-2. Shields don't combo with claws. That's no biggie.

Yeah, I'm gonne take ESC on 1st and MA on 2nd. However I still find it amusing that there's no use for me right now in taking ESC, since it gives me a capacity of 3 while having only 2 essentia to distribute.Oh yeah, forgot that not all races from MoI get bonus essentia.

EDIT: About flaws, well I didn't think of getting extra feats while not knowing what to do with those I had. Besides, most flaws have quite uncomfortable effects and since my Totemist is a flexible character I don't want to shoehorn him into pure melee by taking shaky, so besides maybe murky-eyed there'd be no flaw I would want to take I guess.Vulnerable is quite minor. Still, you don't need to take flaws if you don't like the idea, you'll be plenty strong anyhow.

Amphetryon
2010-10-06, 08:54 AM
Unless you're considering a Manticore Belt in the future, Shaky is a fairly pain-free Flaw.

Partysan
2010-10-06, 09:01 AM
Unless you're considering a Manticore Belt in the future, Shaky is a fairly pain-free Flaw.
Unfortunately, I AM considering it :smallwink:

By the way, if I should come to the conclusion that I will gain one or two feats from flaws, which feats would be useful (possibly also by providing extra essentia)?

drakir_nosslin
2010-10-06, 09:03 AM
EDIT: About flaws, well I didn't think of getting extra feats while not knowing what to do with those I had. Besides, most flaws have quite uncomfortable effects and since my Totemist is a flexible character I don't want to shoehorn him into pure melee by taking shaky, so besides maybe murky-eyed there'd be no flaw I would want to take I guess.

The thing with incarnum feats is that you get more essentia, which is quite nice. Frail or Vulnerable are flaws I like for the Totemist. Both can be roleplayed as a person who pays no heed to his/her own safety and instead charges straight into battle fully intent on bringing down the enemy. This can either be a barbarian type character, or a more educated one that believes in 'the best defense is a dead enemy and a soft bed' philosophy. These two flaws can also be offset by investing essentia in certain soulmelds, but allows you to fine tune your character. When you want high AC that is possible, but if you need more skills just re-adjust and there you are.

But then again, if you feel that flaws are not for this character, or this game, then don't take them.

Master_Rahl22
2010-10-06, 09:07 AM
All of the soulmelds suggested so far are good, pick something that looks fun and go with it.

Expanded Soulmeld Capacity is definitely worthwhile and will stay that way your whole career. Pick a signature meld you'll want to bind most days to your Totem and go nuts.

Have you thought about where you want to go with your build? I really like the Totem Rager which gives you free Essentia when you're raging. You can start the day with Essentia in your Cobalt Rage feat equal to the max - 1/2 your Totem Rager level, and then when you gain 1/2 your Totem Rager level in free Essentia for raging, you bump it up to max. That way you get the benefit of a nifty but situational feat without tying up a bunch of Essentia for the whole day.

Partysan
2010-10-06, 09:09 AM
Well, with a starting Con of 18 I guess I could survive Frail or Vulnerable, especially since at higher levels AC seems to matter either not at all or be optimized into oblivion.

Greenish
2010-10-06, 09:13 AM
Expanded Soulmeld Capacity is definitely worthwhile and will stay that way your whole career. Pick a signature meld you'll want to bind most days to your Totem and go nuts.You can swap the feat to whichever 'meld you want when you're shaping your melds for the day.

Person_Man
2010-10-06, 09:15 AM
My 2 cp:

Consider a 1 level dip in Sorcerer when you hit 6th level. In addition to allowing you to use Sorcerer wands and staffs without UMD, it gives you a Familiar. Familiars share your BAB and have 1/2 your hit points, and with the Share Soulmeld feat they gain the effects of your soulmelds as well as long as they stay within 5 ft. This essentially doubles your power.
Similarly, Totemist 2/Incarnate 3 is more powerful then Totemist 5. You end up with an extra soulmeld, a better selection of soulmelds, and a higher essentia capacity, since the Incarnate's Expanded Soulmeld Capacity ability applies to all soulmelds. The only caveat to this and the Sorcerer dip is that it could delay your chakra bind slot progression if you don't enter a prestige class.
Skarn is a cruddy race. You may wish to undergo the Dragonborn ritual. In addition to better racial features, you get the Dragonblooded subtype, which opens up some excellent soulmelds from Dragon Magic. Specifically, Dragonic Tail and Claws of the Wyrm soulmelds add natural attacks without chakra binds.
Chaos Roc's Span soulmeld: Gain 2 Wing Buffet attacks (unbound). Dragon Magazine 350 pg 87.
Basalisk Mask soulmeld: Flesh to Stone at will when bound to Totem. Only lasts 1 round, but if you have any other melee oriented PC in the party, they can Sunder your enemy after they fail a Save. (And if you have a familiar, then he can do it too!) An interesting alternative to doing the natural weapon spam every day when you know that you're going to fight a caster or fey or anything else with a weak Fort Save.

Arbitrarity
2010-10-06, 12:57 PM
Uh, Person, dipping Incarnate 3 for extra soulmeld capacity doesn't work. I looked this one up a while ago, I'll see if I can cite it properly, but somewhere in "how soulmelds work for multiclass characters", it specifies that all abilities applied to soulmelds from a class only apply to soulmelds from that class.

Ah. Page 20, Multiclass Meldshapers. "Class abilities you have that improve your soulmeld capacity only apply to soulmelds you shape from that class's soulmeld list"