PDA

View Full Version : is anyone familiar with this spell?

big teej
2010-10-06, 10:33 AM
greetings members of the playground,

a long time back (years ago) I ran across a thread on the GLEEMAX forums about 'epic character deaths' or something similar, we've all seen threads like them.

but one particular death stands out to me, and I recall the story to this day.

a character was "erased"

from what I remember:
the party had tracked down the BBEG (a lich I believe) and was in the process of smiting it to itsy bitsy bits. the dwarf fighter buried his axe in the monstorsity's chest and killed it, but with his dying breath, the BBEG cast "erase" a spell that completely removes a character from existence. their body, their mind, their soul, the memory of the person in the minds of others, essentially, all trace of the dwarf had been removed from existence, not only had he been destroyed utterly, he had been completely removed from the memory of all that had encountered him, including the party....

all that was left was a crater where the BBEG and the fighter had been, and the dwarf's axe...

the party KNEW that they had just lost someone, and they KNEW the BBEG had cast erase.....
but they have no idea who.........

so
my question, as the name of the thread implies, is simple

does such a spell exist within a sourcebook?

regardless of the existence of such a spell in a published source, would you allow such a spell in your games?

thanks in advance

Quietus
2010-10-06, 10:35 AM
Sounds more like a plot thing than anything else, to me. I've never heard of a spell that could do such a thing, so either something the DM made up on the spot, or an epic spell perhaps?

Caliphbubba
2010-10-06, 10:37 AM
almost certainly an epic spell. probably with the Destroy and Conceal Seeds employed.

Zaydos
2010-10-06, 10:39 AM
The closest I can think of is Unname from Tome of Magic which erases someone's true name making it impossible for them to exist. But it doesn't undo memories of them.

And that seems like the kind of power to keep as plot and plot alone.

The_Scourge
2010-10-06, 10:39 AM
Check out Balefire in the Wheel of Time setting. It kills you so hard it erases you from existence.

Il_Vec
2010-10-06, 10:41 AM
Tormenta D20 has that spell.

Knaight
2010-10-06, 10:44 AM
Plus, there is an off chance it wasn't D&D or d20 at all.

Diarmuid
2010-10-06, 10:54 AM
Check out Balefire in the Wheel of Time setting. It kills you so hard it erases you from existence.

Agreed that Balefire was the first thing that came to mind when this was described, though in the case of that particular spell the BBEG would have actually had the grevious wound from the dwarf removed.

Il_Vec
2010-10-06, 10:55 AM
No, this is D&D, really, that is a spell from the Tormenta d20 3rd party supplement. That supplement is used to play on the world of the brazilian comicbook Holy Avenger.
Or it is from another source but does much the same thing.

Mordrigar
2010-10-06, 10:59 AM
I'm not sure but, Programmed Amnesia could do this effect.

big teej
2010-10-06, 12:33 PM
Tormenta D20 has that spell.

Plus, there is an off chance it wasn't D&D or d20 at all.

this is entirely possible, as I said, this was years ago, and I can't swear that it was a dnd game. merely a dnd oriented thread.

now.......
whats tormenta? ^_^

Agreed that Balefire was the first thing that came to mind when this was described, though in the case of that particular spell the BBEG would have actually had the grevious wound from the dwarf removed.

my understanding/memory is that the BBEG cast it with his dying breath, so he was still very dead, and the dwarf was very gone.

Snake-Aes
2010-10-06, 12:39 PM
this is entirely possible, as I said, this was years ago, and I can't swear that it was a dnd game. merely a dnd oriented thread.

now.......
whats tormenta? ^_^

my understanding/memory is that the BBEG cast it with his dying breath, so he was still very dead, and the dwarf was very gone.

A setting from my country. The spell is called "Talude's Total Nullification", and it does exactly what you said: The person is erased from existence, along with its soul and all memories everyone ever had about him. Only Talude himself and the gods (or only Wynna from all 20 gods?) actually knows who the person was.

Il_Vec
2010-10-06, 12:41 PM
now.......
whats tormenta? ^_^

No, this is D&D, really, that is a spell from the Tormenta d20 3rd party supplement. That supplement is used to play on the world of the brazilian comicbook Holy Avenger.
Or it is from another source but does much the same thing.

Quoting myself :smallredface:

Tyger
2010-10-06, 12:48 PM
I'm not sure but, Programmed Amnesia could do this effect.

Nope. First off, it can't actually erase the physical person. Secondly, it would have to effect everyone living creature on the planet (ok, slight hyperbole there, but not too much) so that the target never existed.