PDA

View Full Version : Tripping question...

Shenanigans
2010-10-06, 11:55 AM
If a baddie provokes an AoO by movement, and my character trips them (via Knockdown, if that matters) where do they end up prone? In the square they were originally in, or do they still actually complete the movement? I thought the original square, but I can't find a hard rule.

Thanks!

Kaww
2010-10-06, 11:58 AM
I'd say in the square in which he was when you attacked him, but that is just what I think. There might be a RAW rule about it.

Keld Denar
2010-10-06, 11:59 AM
Since an AoO happens immediately prior to the action that provoked it, the guy would fall prone in the square he was trying to leave (IE the square he was origionally in, not the one he was moving into).

Ruinix
2010-10-06, 12:04 PM
in the square in wich he provoke the AoO.

no matter if the enemy start his movement in or out ur threat zone. if he provoke an AoO from you is because somehow he enter in ur zone and provoke it, in that very square in wich the enemy enter or alredy is there and provoke the AoO is in where he fall prone.

Shenanigans
2010-10-06, 12:07 PM
Since an AoO happens immediately prior to the action that provoked it, the guy would fall prone in the square he was trying to leave (IE the square he was origionally in, not the one he was moving into).Thanks. Is that reading taken from the PHB rule that AoO's interrupt the actions that provoke them?

Keld Denar
2010-10-06, 12:29 PM
More or less. I don't have the exact text in front of me, but its right there in the AoO description rules text.

Il_Vec
2010-10-06, 12:35 PM
An attack of opportunity "interrupts" the normal flow of actions in the round. If an attack of opportunity is provoked, immediately resolve the attack of opportunity, then continue with the next character’s turn (or complete the current turn, if the attack of opportunity was provoked in the midst of a character’s turn).

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/attacksOfOpportunity.htm

Shenanigans
2010-10-06, 12:50 PM
Thanks folks; that clears it up nicely!

Ruinix
2010-10-06, 12:51 PM
More or less. I don't have the exact text in front of me, but its right there in the AoO description rules text.

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/attacksOfOpportunity.htm

the question was, where the enemy fall prone from a knockdown attempt and succed in a AoO.

and i guess the confusion is about if the enemy provoke an AoO when start out of our zone and pass throught

Diarmuid
2010-10-06, 01:19 PM
The action that provokes the AoO is "leaving a square you threaten", not entering a square you threaten". So the square they started in is where they would try leaving from.