PDA

View Full Version : "One Topic, One Thread," and Derailment

Zeofar
2010-10-06, 06:27 PM
I was originally going to PM this to a moderator, but I figured this might be the better place to put it. Hopefully this isn't the wrong thing to do.

In reference to this (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=9434044#post9434044) thread, I've had some concerns.

Frankly, the thing is a bit of a mess. It started out as someone asking for ideas about fumble charts and how to implement them, and its now degenerated into an argument about whether or not fumbles are good or realistic. The OP and other posters have expressed their displeasure at this, but the apparent, to my eyes, derailment of the thread has been continued by people who aren't so interested in the original topic.

I have a few questions:

1. Would making another thread for the "new" topic be appropriate? I was on the verge of creating a thread expressly for the purpose discussing the pro's and con's of critical successes/hits and fumbles/automatic failures and whether or not they are good. Would this be appropriate for me to do, or would it break the "One topic, one thread" rule? It suddenly dawned on me that a mod would have split the thread if it really needed it, but I wasn't sure if any were aware so I decided to just mention this anyway. I didn't report any specific posts because I was wondering this, and there would be way too many to report if that was the correct course of action.

2. Is this actually thread derailment or am I being oversensitive? Would it have been appropriate for me to report posts that seemed off-topic to me, or does the fact that they're all still talking about fumbles make it the same topic? I don't want to waste time looking like a looney reporting posts at a later time if nothing wrong is actually happening.

3. Is this the appropriate place to ask such questions? I'm not really sure what's okay; I'm somewhat new to the forum.

Mystic Muse
2010-10-06, 06:40 PM
I have a few questions:

1. Would making another thread for the "new" topic be appropriate? At this point, I'd say no. Taking it to a different thread is appropriate within a few posts but I think at this point, it'd be too much work for the mods to move the more off topic discussion to a different thread and any newcomers will be confused why people suddenly stopped talking about the validity of fumble rules.

2. Is this actually thread derailment or am I being oversensitive? Would it have been appropriate for me to report posts that seemed off-topic to me, or does the fact that they're all still talking about fumbles make it the same topic? I don't want to waste time looking like a looney reporting posts at a later time if nothing wrong is actually happening. At this point, I'm pretty sure it's too late. I'm also not entirely sure whether this counts as thread derailment. I've seen this happen to a few other threads too that didn't get warnings so I'd say no, but the mods have the final say.

3. Is this the appropriate place to ask such questions? I'm not really sure what's okay; I'm somewhat new to the forum. yes. If it pertains to you specifically, I believe you're supposed to PM a mod instead. If you wish to dispute an infraction, bringing it to this forum is NOT okay. It's between you and the mod who issued it.

happyturtle
2010-10-06, 07:01 PM
Did you report it when it first derailed? The mods don't read every thread you know.

In general, the OP of a thread sets the rules for what the thread discussion should be about, so if they're unhappy, they should report it. How it's handled after it's gone on this long though, I'm not sure.

The Dark Fiddler
2010-10-06, 07:29 PM
In general, the OP of a thread sets the rules for what the thread discussion should be about, so if they're unhappy, they should report it. How it's handled after it's gone on this long though, I'm not sure.

Actually, if I remember correctly, the mods take the point that once you post the thread, it's no longer 'yours'. You set the original parameters, but after that, as long as it stays relatively on-topic and rule-abiding, there's nothing you can do to control it.

Mystic Muse
2010-10-06, 07:51 PM
Actually, if I remember correctly, the mods take the point that once you post the thread, it's no longer 'yours'. You set the original parameters, but after that, as long as it stays relatively on-topic and rule-abiding, there's nothing you can do to control it.

This is correct.

happyturtle
2010-10-06, 07:55 PM
Ah. They let us be a little stricter on things like that in ffrp.

Serpentine
2010-10-06, 09:53 PM
Interestingly, in the case of that particular thread, the "original topic" ended up getting moved to its own thread (1001 Critical Fumbles, I believe it's called), which as far as I know has stuck pretty well to its purpose. So I think, in this case, it has worked out reasonably well, and at this point making a new thread to debate fumbles would be pointless - you'd end up with the already made 1001 Fumbles thread, the new Are Fumbles Fun? thread, and the old thread with... not much in the way of topic at all.

Yes, it is thread derailment.
If in doubt, report.
Yes this is the appropriate place to ask questions.

Zeofar
2010-10-07, 01:16 PM
Interestingly, in the case of that particular thread, the "original topic" ended up getting moved to its own thread (1001 Critical Fumbles, I believe it's called), which as far as I know has stuck pretty well to its purpose. So I think, in this case, it has worked out reasonably well, and at this point making a new thread to debate fumbles would be pointless - you'd end up with the already made 1001 Fumbles thread, the new Are Fumbles Fun? thread, and the old thread with... not much in the way of topic at all.

Yes, it is thread derailment.
If in doubt, report.
Yes this is the appropriate place to ask questions.

Oh, missed the 1001 Fumbles. Thanks for your answers.