PDA

View Full Version : Lovecraftian Superheroes: Truth, Justice, And The Infinite Horror of the Cosmos

Leliel
2010-10-06, 06:54 PM
This is not my idea. It's actually a transplant from RPGnet because, well, it's awesome.

I have an idea for superhero campaign where all the super-powered people in the world gain their powers from elder gods and other lovecraftain creatures. It would be something different unique for me anyways. Does sound something interesting and cool? I am needing ideas and suggestion powers, stories and anything else that might help.

Personally, I would use such a setting to deconstruct the idea that the Mythos, sans creepy atmosphere, is a for some reason a hopeless, crapsacky place.

As in: "Hang on, if we are just meaningless specks in this universe, and all morality is ultimately pointless...doesn't that mean that cruelty and oppression are pointless too, and that we can truly make our own way?"

But that's my opinion. What about you?

Vilyathas
2010-10-06, 09:35 PM
See: The Thanos Imperative. (http://www.weeklycrisis.com/2010/06/thanos-imperative-primer.html)

An alternate universe to Marvel comics universe, but with its heroes all worship the Cthulhu Mythos entities, and, get this, apparently got rid of DEATH, so now everybody from that universe can't die. And now, with the entities completely filling up their universe, they're coming for the mainstream Marvel universe, kill our DEATH, and do the same thing all over again.

Welcome to the Cancerverse.

Love how they designed the alternate Marvel heroes. Everybody is rocking some kind of occult look. Even Captain America is sporting a pentagram.

One idea I have tossing around my campaign is that the Mythos entities have replaced the gods of *insert your campaign world here*. So, every Cleric or Favoured Soul you encounter are occultist who would sooner sacrifice you than heal you (or heal you first, THEN sacrifice you :smalltongue:). Every position of authority are subverted by agents of the Mythos. Every temple worships the Mythos entities. The common people are already numb to this fact and think that any kind of resistance is futile.

The PCs in this world could be agents of the deposed gods, or simply Rebels fighting a guerilla war against the Empire. Their worst enemies are not monsters in the deepest dungeons, but the authority in every city they go to.

Leliel
2010-10-07, 12:34 PM
See: The Thanos Imperative. (http://www.weeklycrisis.com/2010/06/thanos-imperative-primer.html)

An alternate universe to Marvel comics universe, but with its heroes all worship the Cthulhu Mythos entities, and, get this, apparently got rid of DEATH, so now everybody from that universe can't die. And now, with the entities completely filling up their universe, they're coming for the mainstream Marvel universe, kill our DEATH, and do the same thing all over again.

Welcome to the Cancerverse.

Love how they designed the alternate Marvel heroes. Everybody is rocking some kind of occult look. Even Captain America is sporting a pentagram.

One idea I have tossing around my campaign is that the Mythos entities have replaced the gods of *insert your campaign world here*. So, every Cleric or Favoured Soul you encounter are occultist who would sooner sacrifice you than heal you (or heal you first, THEN sacrifice you :smalltongue:). Every position of authority are subverted by agents of the Mythos. Every temple worships the Mythos entities. The common people are already numb to this fact and think that any kind of resistance is futile.

The PCs in this world could be agents of the deposed gods, or simply Rebels fighting a guerilla war against the Empire. Their worst enemies are not monsters in the deepest dungeons, but the authority in every city they go to.

Hmm....Interesting.

Which is my excuse for a bump, but still...

Tiki Snakes
2010-10-07, 12:40 PM
I like a more x-men inspired take on the concept, personally. Which is to say, well. I just imagine pseudonatural wolverine being all;

"So, the universe is impossibly vast, cold, uncaring and there are things out there that could, would and might try to devour the earth itself just for the giggles...and you think that means we're going to lie down and let you have your way? Bub, you really don't know us very well, do you?"

TL;DR - The Lovecraftian superhero setting IS a crapsack, hopeless place. But that isn't going to stop them messing your face up if you try to mess with the Earth's junk.

Deth Muncher
2010-10-07, 12:44 PM
Man, now I just want to see Shoggoth-Man.

JonestheSpy
2010-10-07, 12:48 PM
Well, one has to remember that the Mythos isn't just about us being meaningless specks etc. There's all sorts of existentialist and related philosophies with the same point of view, and none of them involve tentacles.

The Lovecraftian universe is filled with malevolent, incomprehensible beings that don't like us very much. In their morals-free cosmos, humans are either a minor nuisance like ants in the pantry, or squatters in your summer house you haven't visited for a few aeons. Or perhaps interesting test subjects if one wants to take te trouble to put their brain in a jar and carry them off to Pluto.

The universe isn't just unconcerned with you, it's actually out to get you if it bothers to notice you.

Leliel
2010-10-07, 01:18 PM
Man, now I just want to see Shoggoth-Man.

Shoggoth-Man, Shoggoth-Man,
Does whatever a shoggoth can do,
Can he swing, on a web?
No he can't, he's a shapeshifter
Look out, here comes the Shoggoth-Man.

-Greatest Hits of the BCs, Ones Deep In Love

Deth Muncher
2010-10-07, 01:25 PM
Shoggoth-Man, Shoggoth-Man,
Does whatever a shoggoth can do,
Can he swing, on a web?
No he can't, he's a shapeshifter
Look out, here comes the Shoggoth-Man.

-Greatest Hits of the BCs, Ones Deep In Love

Hm...I'm not sure if that wins a jar of cookies or a jar of Internets.

Morph Bark
2010-10-08, 03:21 AM
That Thanos Imperative looks worthy of investigation...

Hm...I'm not sure if that wins a jar of cookies or a jar of Internets.

An internet of jars, maybe?