PDA

View Full Version : Good 3.5/Pathfinder prewritten adventures?

KenderWizard
2010-10-06, 07:18 PM
So I'm hoping to start running a game in the next couple of weeks, using Pathfinder, and starting from level 1. In an ideal world, I'd like to write my own adventure, but I've got a fatigue syndrome which has totally wiped me out, and when I do start getting back some energy, I'll have to catch up with college work before I do anything else!

So, I'm wondering if anyone has come across any 3.5 or Pathfinder prewritten stuff that they really enjoyed. I'm looking for a couple of short (1-3 session) modules to start off with, but if someone has come across a really good long campaign I'd love to hear about it too. I haven't decided on a specific setting or anything, so I'm open to any suggestions.

The players have little to no experience, so I'd prefer something that could be run reasonably light on rules. They're all excited about playing "real D&D" so it doesn't matter if it's startlingly unoriginal in plot, they haven't come across any of the cliches! I'm looking for stuff that's well written and easy to run.

So, what have you enjoyed running or reading, or playing in?

Dust
2010-10-06, 07:24 PM
I'll start with the obvious. Have you played or heard of the Age of Worms campaign?

HunterOfJello
2010-10-06, 07:32 PM
A Dark and Stormy Night (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/oa/20030530b&page=1) gets my highest recommendation. I started a campaign with this adventure for a group of 3 newbies and it went great. (You can download it for free from that link to the WoTC website.) It can fit into any setting and is short enough to get players interested in the game while not forcing them into a long drawn out plot line right off the bat.

It starts with a fight against a bunch of weak monsters, then allows the players to choose between 3 paths to follow. The first is a room with a trapped chest in it. The second is a room with weak outsider in it. Along the third path is a group of hobgoblins, a small corridor to a monstrous spider encounter and a final boss room with a Bugbear Zombie.

The adventure is quick, sweet and simple. It allows the characters an opportunity to meet one another in a non-aggressive situation that isn't in a tavern (!!!) or allows them the option of knowing eachother beforehand.

It has a few good opportunities for role playing, especially at the beginning before the big event happens and afterwards when they have to collectively decide on which paths to take and how to proceed down those paths.

I think this module is a great learning experience for new players and new DMs since it contains many different game mechanics and scenarios in a compact, easy to understand package.

~

The starting adventure from the back of the Eberron Campaign setting is also a good one if you're playing in an Eberron Setting.

Jallorn
2010-10-06, 07:38 PM
I just started playing it, but the pathfinder Kingmaker campaign path looks fun.

Salbazier
2010-10-06, 08:20 PM
Paizo's adventure paths looks golden. I've yet to play any them so you may takes my word with a grain of salt but it is fun reading them. Kingmaker is great but I suggest ignore the whole kingdom building if all the players are new (unless they want it). I'd suggest Rise of the Runelords myself. Free stufs at Wotc are fine too. I have some fun before with the Burning plague (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/oa/20000801a)

KenderWizard
2010-10-07, 06:44 AM
@Dust: No, I don't know much about it, haven't played it. Is it good for an inexperienced group of players?

@HunterOfJello: That sounds great, I'll definitely check it out. It's especially good that you've run it with some newbies, just what I need!

@Jallorn, Salbazier: I've heard good things about the Paizo stuff alright, but just kind of vaguely. I was thinking of getting some of them for our games society anyway (I'm president) sometime in the next few months, so maybe I'll do it now and see if I can use them for my game too.

Thanks a lot guys, that's really helpful! :smallsmile:

Zherog
2010-10-07, 09:29 AM
0one Games (http://0onegames.com/catalog/index.php?manufacturers_id=18) has a series of six interconnected urban adventures. They were written for 3.5, but the link includes free conversions to Pathfinder.

The adventures are based in the company's campaign setting -- The Great City (which, incidentally, the player's guide won a Gold Medal at this year's ENnie Awards in the "Best Electronic Book" category), but as I recall the adventures are written such that they could be dropped into any major urban environment and execute just fine.

I'm partial to the first adventure in the series -- The Skullcrackers. Probably because I wrote it. ;)

Wagadodo
2010-10-07, 02:26 PM
I like the Kingmaker series from Paizo. If your players like sandbox type of adventures. A lot less railroading than your typical adventure set. I am trying to run the Council of Theives series right now, and it has some really neat background for a complete city adventure. Who doesn't love a play that the characters have to act in. But again a lot more railroady than the Kingmaker series.

Tyndmyr
2010-10-07, 02:34 PM
Kingdoms of Kalamar have a great deal of low level stuff, starting at level 1.

However, I must warn that it caters to a very specific taste. Low magic, extremely high degrees of detail. If you like action, pulp adventure, or high fantasy, they will make you unhappy. Very much a taste issue.

When are starting your campaign, and do you have any preferences on style and setting?