PDA

View Full Version : a sourcebook question

big teej
2010-10-06, 07:40 PM
what sorts of things are in....

- cityscape

- the Book of Exalted Deeds

- The Book of Vile Darkness

I just had a copy of each arrive in the mail (at home) but I don't get to peruse these works until friday or saturday.....

and the suspense is killing meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

sooo

whats in them?
pleasethankyouloveyoubunches

Thurbane
2010-10-06, 08:23 PM
Well, rather unsurprisingly...

Cityscape - stuff about cities

BoVD - stuff about evil

BoED - stuff about good

:smalltongue:

big teej
2010-10-06, 08:26 PM
thats sooooo helpful :smalltongue:

don't all books come with new feats and stuff?

or are all three of these books just fluffy?

LOTRfan
2010-10-06, 08:35 PM
BoVD has stats for a lot of fiends, evil prestige classes, feats, two new races (vile, of course), evil items, and many other things.

BoED stats out the hierarchies for Archons, Guardinals, and Eladrin (while also adding a considerable amount of creatures to these races), special materials from the Upper Planes, feats, good prestige classes, good versions of poisons (bleh...), and relics.

Cityscape has a bunch of feats, variant class features, and that's all I can think of.

EDIT: Looking at cityscape right now, and it has descriptions of cities by dominant race/location, new spells, politics, organizations, religions, and city districts.

GhoulPolitician
2010-10-06, 08:38 PM
cityscape- invisible spell

BoVD- disciple of dispater

mobdrazhar
2010-10-06, 08:44 PM
BoVD also has some new spells and i believe rules on Torture

Thurbane
2010-10-06, 08:45 PM
...Cityscape also includes a handful of newfeats, a small amount of spells, 3 PrCs (Crimson Scourge, Ebonmar Inflitrator and Urban Savant), a couple of monsters, and a few sample cities. Also, has lots of rules on guilds and affiliations, as well as other apects of city life (trading, law etc.).

I quite like it, but it seemed to receive a luke warm reception when it launched - mainly from people who are only seeking new splat (feats & PrCs mainly) from books.

big teej
2010-10-06, 09:38 PM
first,
these responses made me :smallbiggrin:

I'm just as interested in fluffyness as new toys

thankyou all for ...... making me way to eager for the weekend to get here :smallannoyed:

oh well
:smallsigh:

:smallbiggrin::smallbiggrin::smallbiggrin:

I have a feelin that these books are going to bring home a certain fact of life for my new players....

that fact being "one of the most terrifying statements in the world the DM can utter is "I have rules for this" "

^_^

hamishspence
2010-10-07, 03:33 AM
A lot of people complain about some of the morality in BoVD/BoED- so you might want to pick out what you're making canonical and what you're discarding.

Ravages could be kept in- but instead of being poisons that it's not an evil act to use, you could say all poisons are not automatically evil to use, but, since ravages are supernatural, they exist so PCs can poison creatures like demons, which are immune to normal poisons.

Sanctify the Wicked is disliked because it changes the alignment of the evil target to that of the caster (over a period of a year)- if the players think it represents "lack of respect for the dignity of sentient beings"- it could be modified.

And so on.