PDA

View Full Version : (3.5) A question about making a new character and gold

Socko525
2010-10-06, 10:46 PM
So in our upcoming session, I'm planning on killing off my current character and making a new one. This character will be starting at level 5, and my question is this: Do I just get the starting gold listed in the class descripotion or would I get the gold listed in the table in the DMG?(page 135 I believe)

I realize that this is ultimately the DMs choice, but in your opinion how should this be handled?

Thanks for the help.

Diarmuid
2010-10-06, 10:50 PM
As you suggested, ask your DM as utlimately it's his decision. Going to him with "A bunch of guys on GitP think I should get XYZ" only makes you seem like you're trying to get extra.

Especially considering you're planning on killing your char to make a new one. You'd be better off talking to the DM about why you arent enjoying your character and maybe he can work in some way to write out the old char IC and then have a good way for your new char to get worked into the game.

Then you're also not dealing with the whole dead characters extra gold/equipment being distributed to the leftover group and then you coming in with a new char and his gear/money thus possibly shifting the power level to one the DM didnt want.

Gabe the Bard
2010-10-06, 10:53 PM
It depends on how much gold and items the rest of the party has. If the amount listed in the DMG would give you a big advantage over the other players, it may be more fair to get the average amount of gold among the rest of the party.

KillianHawkeye
2010-10-08, 06:51 AM
The entire point of the chart on p.135 of the DMG is for creating characters at a level higher than 1st.

That being said, if the rest of the party is severely over- or under-equipped for their level, it would make a lot of sense to have you start out with a different amount of equipment. Of course, it is well within a DM's rights to have you start out with no equipment at all if he wants. That's why that information is in the DMG and not the Player's Handbook.

WinWin
2010-10-08, 07:00 AM
WBL is important. Your character should have about 9k worth of gear. Having said that, retiring your character may be better than just getting ganked. Most DM's react poorly (read : overreact) if they think you are trying to scam some free loot.

The DM has a say on what gear is available. The suggested allocation is that no more than 25% of WBL is spent on a single item. That means a 5th level character can start with a +1 weapon (barely).

I would suggest putting together a basic list with costings, then presenting it to your DM as a suggestion. Unless the DM has other idea's, you'll probably get the majority. Your DM may even work with you to select a few choice items for an upcoming adventure.