PDA

View Full Version : Illithids (3.Xe/PF)

Shpadoinkle
2010-10-07, 07:53 AM
I wa reading Lords of Madness, and when I got to the section about illithids and thier need for so many brains it gave me some ideas, so... Yeah. Here they are.

Everyone knows illithids eat brains, right? Lords of Madness says that a single illithid needs, at minimum, one brain per month. That's twelve brains per year. Conservatively, let's say the average illithid is about thirty individuals. That's 360 brains per year, MINIMUM- 720 would be much better, and 1,440 would be ideal. Now, 1,440 people isn't a lot, but bear in mind that these brains have to be harvested, and according to Lords of Madness, illithids prefer to eat in thier own cities, with an audience (so the audience can psychically experience the pleasure of eating a sentient brain too.)

What I'm getting at is that illithids most likely have some influential people - mayors, barons, heads of the merchant's guilds, and other and other people with a lot of money and power- under thier control. These people would set up and fund 'adventurers guilds' in an attempt to get young people out and, well, adventuring. After all, the brain of an experienced adventurer is a lot more flavorful than the brain of someone who's made shoes his whole life.

They'd also be responsible for setting up poorhouses and homeless shelters and the like- the destitute can be harvested fairly easily and aren't likely to be missed by many, and those who will miss them won't have the money or power to do anything about thier mysterious disappearances.

An adventurer's guild is basically a bank where those setting out on thier new careers can take out loans with minimal interest for modest sums (one or two thousand gold, with maybe half a percent interest per month) with the stipulation that they relate thier tales every so often, making it easier to keep tabs on them.

Obviously, the illithids behind the whole thing would keep closer tabs on those who belong to the guild than they would on the local candlemaker, and when the time is right (once they've gotten a few solid adventures under thier belt) thier brains are harvested- generally this would be from levels 4 to 8. Any higher than level 8 would cause the adventurers to potentially pose a not insignificant threat to thier secret caretakers, and illithids aren't known for taking stupid risks when they don't have to.

This could all tie in to a campaign, with the PCs discovering why thier home city was founded, why nothing ever seems to really be done about the lower classes (and why they tend to have such large families,) why the adventurer's guild exists and consistantly gets funding from the local government, and several other things.

Most settings make it explicit that dwarves, elves, goblinoids, etc. have some kind of racial deity who is directly responsible for thier creation... but humans almost never have a patron deity. This could be the basis for all of human civilization and the explanation for why they're so varied and adaptable- they were specifically bred and guided by illithids to gather in large settlements, and give rise to reckless individuals who become adventurers.

Thoughts?

hamishspence
2010-10-07, 08:02 AM
Does sound like a very good campaign plot to me.

AslanCross
2010-10-07, 08:24 AM
Plausible, creepy, and pretty much in line with what the illithids might do. It works with both the old-school illithids and the Thoon illithids from MMV.

Shenanigans
2010-10-07, 08:34 AM
I agree. That could be the basis for a full 1-20 (or higher) campaign. The PCs start out normally enough at low levels ("Goblin attack? Oh heavens forfend") gather more clues as they get closer to level 8ish, then have the rug pulled out from under them, and spend the rest of the campaign freeing their town, region, and maybe the whole of human civilization.

PairO'Dice Lost
2010-10-07, 01:29 PM
In several of my campaigns, I've had cities where a handful of illithids takes over and offers the people a deal: they will turn all the people into elans (making them psionicists and functionally immortal), teach them psionics, use their own powers to turn the place into a psionically-fueled utopia, etc. The only catch is that each illithid requires one brain a month, so starting once the population reaches a certain critical mass and reproduction rate, each month the 3 or 4 or 5 oldest or most experienced (and thus tastiest) must sacrifice themselves and get eaten, and the people are required to take up several hobbies, adventuring, or other things that makes them more tasty. There's no compulsion at all to enter into this bargain--children are given a choice when they reach the age of reason, and if they don't like it they can leave, simply not becoming elan-ified and gaining psionic powers. If a particular person doesn't want to get eaten, they can substitute someone more interesting/tasty than they are with the consent of the community and the illithids, but should they do so their psionic powers are removed and they are exiled for breaking their "contract"; if they try to avoid being eaten, the illithids can take any measures desired to find them and carry it out.

The general response to that is large families and "advertising"--if every family has 12 kids, eventually there are enough people that any given individual can live a thousand or so years before their time comes, and there are plenty of bards and scholars who'd be willing to give their lives in a century or so if they can have ridiculous amounts of resources and support for their studies. It's always interesting to see the PCs show up, see illithids walking around, automatically assume they're mind-controlling everyone, and have the natives explain the situation and that they're okay with things.

Logalmier
2010-10-07, 03:55 PM
I love this idea. It's very in line with what a society of ithillids would do. Manipulating governments to their own ends is a big thing for Mind Flayers. Nice job.