PDA

View Full Version : Fred the Diplomancer?

Dubious Pie
2010-10-07, 10:44 AM
The original thread was swallowed into the abyss of the WotC forums, does anyone have a copy?

dextercorvia
2010-10-07, 12:20 PM
The original thread was swallowed into the abyss of the WotC forums, does anyone have a copy?

I don't remember this particular one, but it isn't too hard to accidentally 're'create something pretty absurd.

Binder and Marshal are the vital dips.

Edit: You got me curious, so this is what I found:

Fred, the Diplomancer.

Drawn up for a recent campaign, Fred is a 6th level character. Using RoD, MiniHB, PHB, CA, CV, UA, BoED, the DMG, and various Dragon magazines, Fred is capable of stopping pretty much any fight before it even starts. I present - Fred:

Race: Venerable Magic-Blooded Half Elf Alignment: Chaotic Good
Flaws: Inattentive, Noncombatant
Traits: Polite, Honest

Level Class Feat(s)
1 Half Elf Bard Substitution Level 1 Sacred Vow, Negotiator, Extra Music
2 Marshal 1
3 Bard 2 Item Familiar
4 Warlock 1
5 Cleric(evangelist option) 1
6 Half Elf Paragon 1 Leadership, Complementary Insight(B)

Stats of Importance:

Charisma: 18
Intelligence: 16 or higher
Dexterity/Constitution: Generically good for any character.

Equipment:

Wendsday's Left Eye (6,000gp)
Ring of Diplomacy +8 (6,400gp)
Mwk Diplomacy Tool [makeup kit] (500gp)
Anything Else (100gp)

His cohort must have at least 9 Wisdom, 11 Intelligence, and 18 Charisma before age adjustments:

Level Class Feat(s)
1 Cleric(evangelist option) 1 Sacred Vow, Negotiator, Skill Focus: Diplomacy
2 Cleric 2
3 Cleric 3 Complimentary Insight
4 Warlock 1

Cohorts check:
7 ranks
7 Charisma
9 Synergy
2 Evangelist cleric
2 Mind domain
2 Herald domain
7 Motivate Charisma (+2 with eagles splendor on main char)
6 Beguiling influence
2 racial
2 negotiator
2 sacred vow
2 Mwk tool
3 skill focus

+53 total (+55 with ES on)

He casts Eagle's Splendor on the main character, and uses the Aid Another rules from Complete Adventurer to roll a Diplomacy check to modify his master's check. He'll get a 65 on average, or +6. He can get between +5 and +7.

Mathematical Breakdown of Diplomacy Check:

9 ranks unnamed
9 Charisma unnamed
9 Synergy synergy
3 Skill Focus unnamed
9 Motivate Charisma unnamed
2 Racial racial
2 Sacred Vow perfection
2 Evangelist cleric unnamed
2 Mwk tool circumstance
6 Beguiling Influence enhancement?
5 Friendly Face circumstance
4 Wednesday's Left Eye unnamed
9 Item Familiar unnamed
4 Herald Domain unnamed
2 Mind Domain unnamed
2 Negotiator unnamed
8 Custom item competance
1 Polite trait unnamed
1 Honest trait unnamed
5 to 7 Cohorts aid another check

1d20+94 to 1d20+96 Total

Summary:

At a mere 6th level, Fred has a minimum of +94 on his diplomacy check. He has soothing voice, so he can stop fights as soon as they start, and he has tons of class goodies. Even with a -20 circumstance penalty on his check, he still automatically converts a creature from hostile to friendly. 7 times per day, Fred can stop fights that have already started just by talking with his Soothing Voice ability (Will DC 104 average negates). And best of all, Fred isn't specific to any campaign setting.

Edit: Bumped it up to +94.

dsmiles
2010-10-07, 04:12 PM
Edit: You got me curious, so this is what I found:

Fred, the Diplomancer.

Drawn up for a recent campaign, Fred is a 6th level character. Using RoD, MiniHB, PHB, CA, CV, UA, BoED, the DMG, and various Dragon magazines, Fred is capable of stopping pretty much any fight before it even starts. I present - Fred:

Level Class Feat(s)
1 Half Elf Bard Substitution Level 1 Sacred Vow, Negotiator, Extra Music
2 Marshal 1
3 Bard 2 Item Familiar
4 Warlock 1
5 Cleric(evangelist option) 1
6 Half Elf Paragon 1 Leadership, Complementary Insight(B)

Stats of Importance:

Charisma: 18
Intelligence: 16 or higher
Dexterity/Constitution: Generically good for any character.

Equipment:

Wendsday's Left Eye (6,000gp)
Mwk Diplomacy Tool [makeup kit] (500gp)
Anything Else (100gp)

His cohort must have at least 9 Wisdom, 11 Intelligence, and 18 Charisma before age adjustments:

Level Class Feat(s)
1 Cleric(evangelist option) 1 Sacred Vow, Negotiator, Skill Focus: Diplomacy
2 Cleric 2
3 Cleric 3 Complimentary Insight
4 Warlock 1

Cohorts check:
7 ranks
7 Charisma
9 Synergy
2 Evangelist cleric
2 Mind domain
2 Herald domain
7 Motivate Charisma (+2 with eagles splendor on main char)
6 Beguiling influence
2 racial
2 negotiator
2 sacred vow
2 Mwk tool
3 skill focus

+53 total (+55 with ES on)

He casts Eagle's Splendor on the main character, and uses the Aid Another rules from Complete Adventurer to roll a Diplomacy check to modify his master's check. He'll get a 65 on average, or +6. He can get between +5 and +7.

Mathematical Breakdown of Diplomacy Check:

9 ranks unnamed
9 Charisma unnamed
9 Synergy synergy
3 Skill Focus unnamed
9 Motivate Charisma unnamed
2 Racial racial
2 Sacred Vow perfection
2 Evangelist cleric unnamed
2 Mwk tool circumstance
6 Beguiling Influence enhancement?
5 Friendly Face circumstance
4 Wednesday's Left Eye unnamed
9 Item Familiar unnamed
4 Herald Domain unnamed
2 Mind Domain unnamed
2 Negotiator unnamed
8 Custom item competance
1 Polite trait unnamed
1 Honest trait unnamed
5 to 7 Cohorts aid another check

1d20+94 to 1d20+96 Total

Summary:

At a mere 6th level, Fred has a minimum of +94 on his diplomacy check. He has soothing voice, so he can stop fights as soon as they start, and he has tons of class goodies. Even with a -20 circumstance penalty on his check, he still automatically converts a creature from hostile to friendly. 7 times per day, Fred can stop fights that have already started just by talking with his Soothing Voice ability (Will DC 104 average negates). And best of all, Fred isn't specific to any campaign setting.

Edit: Bumped it up to +94.

That's just sick. :smallyuk:
Why on earth wold you want to stop a fight? :smalltongue:

grarrrg
2010-10-07, 07:15 PM
That's just sick. :smallyuk:
Why on earth wold you want to stop a fight? :smalltongue:

Well, with those numbers, you could probably first talk the opponent into giving you all of their stuff, and then talk them into killing themselves, or at least beating themselves down to negatives so you can finish the job for the XP.

Of course, this is assuming that you, the player, are still concious after the DM goes Master Book Thrower on you...

Lhurgyof
2010-10-07, 08:18 PM

Where is this, and can one be made for bluff?

Skorj
2010-10-07, 08:27 PM
Per the magic item creation guidelines, a +skill item is only 100gp * bonus^2, so an item that adds 8 to any specific skill would be 6400gp.

Lhurgyof
2010-10-07, 08:33 PM
Per the magic item creation guidelines, a +skill item is only 100gp * bonus^2, so an item that adds 8 to any specific skill would be 6400gp.

Holy crap... if I get that, and a wand of glibness, my bard will force people to make DC 70+ will saves every time he talks to them.

Skorj
2010-10-07, 08:50 PM
These items give a competence bonus, so double-check the stacking, but Glibness is untyped so no trouble there.

The creation guidelines set no limit on how much of a bonus that you put on an item, which just means the DM will set that limit. +8 seems totally reasonable to me: though core skill items give +5, there are core elixers that give +10 to skills.

Lhurgyof
2010-10-07, 08:55 PM
These items give a competence bonus, so double-check the stacking, but Glibness is untyped so no trouble there.

The creation guidelines set no limit on how much of a bonus that you put on an item, which just means the DM will set that limit. +8 seems totally reasonable to me: though core skill items give +5, there are core elixers that give +10 to skills.

Holy crap....

Lets see, I got a feat that adds int to bluff, illiterate (bluff), Dishonest, and maybe another thing that adds to bluff... Skill focus, Another feat that gives me +3, Influential (whatever the +2 feat is), two different class features that add half my class level to bluff, synergies, high int and cha, as well as a circlet of persuasion....

So, I have like a 54 bluff check without all this stuff, even though the DM doesn't let me use it to it's cheesy maximum (because even with my -20 I can still persuade most people of the most ridiculous things no matter what I roll).

I could literally tell just about any NPC or PC that they're in a great debt to me and they'd believe me.

dextercorvia
2010-10-07, 10:31 PM
The truly sick thing is that Fred doesn't even take a level of Binder for standard action penalty free diplomacy, and the ability to take 10 when threatened.

Naberius isn't just for Hellocks.

Endarire
2010-10-07, 11:01 PM
From what I recall, +30 is the max skill bonus you can get on an item pre-epic.

dsmiles
2010-10-08, 04:34 AM
From what I recall, +30 is the max skill bonus you can get on an item pre-epic.

It would have to be +29. The "epic" skill bonus items start at +30.

BobVosh
2010-10-08, 03:30 PM
It would have to be +29. The "epic" skill bonus items start at +30.

Grants an enhancement bonus on a skill check greater than +30. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/magicItems/basics.htm)

My Emphasis

randomhero00
2010-10-08, 07:20 PM
I could literally tell just about any NPC or PC that they're in a great debt to me and they'd believe me.

For one round or less...

Lhurgyof
2010-10-08, 07:30 PM
For one round or less...
I was talking about the normal use of bluff, but the subject gets a +20 to their sense motive for me telling an outrageous lie.