PDA

View Full Version : How do you choose a character?

Admiral Squish
2010-10-07, 11:41 AM
I'm running into a problem. Whenever it comes time for me to make a character, is have a really hard time settling on one idea. I've always got like four or five different characters, and when it comes down to picking one over another, I can agonize over it for ages.

So, I'm asking you. How do you pick to play the barbarian over the rogue or the wizard? Is it a decision of power? Is a decision of flavor? Do you play the character the party needs? Do you play the character most like yourself? Least like yourself? Do you go true D&D style and roll it randomly?

Crossblade
2010-10-07, 12:09 PM
First, I check what the party needs; IF it's fun, I'll play it happily. Second I'll check the setting to see what would or wouldn't be appropriate. Finally, and this can override the first too, is if there's something i have an urge to play.
I never bother trying to go for uber power level builds.

Emongnome777
2010-10-07, 12:12 PM
For me, I base it on the party needs. Nobody playing a melee hp sink? Play barbarian. Need skills? Rogue. If they all seem equally appealing, then go with the one that most benefits the party. Depending on your preferences and playing style, you might want to pick the one in the tier closest to the other party members.

That's how I do it, so it may not mean much.

Emongnome

Edit: Ninja'd somewhat. I blame a low initiative roll.

Starbuck_II
2010-10-07, 12:13 PM
I'm running into a problem. Whenever it comes time for me to make a character, is have a really hard time settling on one idea. I've always got like four or five different characters, and when it comes down to picking one over another, I can agonize over it for ages.

So, I'm asking you. How do you pick to play the barbarian over the rogue or the wizard? Is it a decision of power? Is a decision of flavor? Do you play the character the party needs? Do you play the character most like yourself? Least like yourself? Do you go true D&D style and roll it randomly?

Well, it depends on:
1) DMs restrictions (Core only, core + Complete, etc), what is allowed?
-If my character concept will unlikely not be allowed than I'd have to use another.

2) How am I feeling?
-Am I feeling like a damage dealer, caster, in between?
If I have a rogue-like and a Dread Necro, but I don't feel like casting, I'd enter the rogue-like.
-Do I feel like trying something unique: I've never played like a Incarnate?
Then I'd either modify my character to gain Incarnum or just play a Incarnum user.

3) Does DM say that we need optimization:
Then I'd see if I could optimize the rogue or just dip Rogue with a caster to bring it up in power (Spellwarp sniper, etc).

4) Do I feel like a certain theme:
Bearman who summons bears who shoot lazers?
Well than I'd have to be Exalted to be a Sentinel of Bharri: then I can summon bears and summon lazer lightning bolts out of my eyes (Call Lightning Quickened).

John Campbell
2010-10-07, 12:13 PM
I've usually got two or three distinct concepts kicking around, and consult with the rest of the party to figure out what each of us is going to play, and select one of the concepts accordingly.

My current character (an archer-ranger) was actually created for our last campaign, but a couple of last-minute additions to the group filled his roles (an archer-fighter and a druid) without consulting me about it beforehand, so I ended up creating a new character that filled a different role instead and saving the ranger for later. (And then the fighter left to play Rifts instead after a few sessions of incompetence, and the druid got himself killed so he could play a ninja (?) instead, because his druid (!) wasn't powerful enough (?!?). (And then got his ninja killed so he could play a sorcerer instead after he realized that my fighter/rogue was better than his ninja at everything.)) As a result, when we were organizing for our current campaign, I just told them that I was playing my ranger this time, and let everyone else sort themselves into roles that would complement and play well with him.

Strawberries
2010-10-07, 12:14 PM
I have two ways of choosing:

If setting information is avaiable, I go by whatever character strikes me as interesting to roleplay in that setting - the combination of character/setting that "clicks" in my head. Two examples: an urban setting that screamed "rogue who fights the system" at me, and for some strange reason, low magic, paladins-as-witch-hunters setting, that made me think of a paladin who really, really doesn't want to be a witch hunter.

Otherwise, I go by whatever concept I like best - my latest character, a Dryad druid, would be an example of this. Her creation went something like that: "One of these days, I'd like to roleplay some sort of fey...let's see what are the options *checks monster manual*....ooooh, a Dryad would be interesting, with the "tree dependant" thing... hmm, I can totally see a Dryad druid".

Of course, I keep an eye on the composition of the rest of the party, too, but since I only play in pbp that's not so much of a concern (since the characters go through a selection stage, I choose what I want to play and let the DM decide a balanced party - if my character isn't chosen, no hard feelings :smallwink:).

Mordaenor
2010-10-07, 12:16 PM
I generally make a point to try and play something that I haven't played before. I also usually try and come up with the idea of the character without consideration of the system I'm playing, and then try and look for the correct combination of feats/skills/classes/perks/flaws/whatever that will most closely match that concept.

DrWeird
2010-10-07, 12:18 PM
It seems to come down for me, in descending order, of importance vs. preference, as shown:

Step 1.) Party requires certain role? If Yes, build in role. If No, continue.

Step 2.) Have an exciting character concept I really want to try, both for roleplay and design, that fits the setting and campaign and meshes relatively well with the party? If Yes, build on concept. If No, continue.

Step 3.) Ask your DM or party if there's anything they'd like to see happen for a character, ie, some region-specific or setting ideal that would help the DM flesh out things or interest your friends; if Yes, build on suggestion. If No, continue.

Step 4.) Play Grunty the Half-Orc Barbarian.

I love logical steps and conclusions. Of course, I don't use a character unless I can feel it and flesh it out into a living thing, not a static nobody. It's important to me to not only build something by this logical steps, but also by design build something I can give life and emotion to.

prufock
2010-10-07, 12:20 PM
My characters generally start as philosophies, ideals, personalities, and beliefs before stats. I don't necessarily "pick to play the barbarian over the rogue or the wizard" as I try to tailor what the character would be.

Now, that said, character and class definitely overlap, and I also try to fill a niche in the party. But usually, class is negotiable. There are also times I stat out a character just as an exercise, without much thought into their personality, but those characters don't usually make it into an actual game.

Xefas
2010-10-07, 12:22 PM
Well, I sit down with the other players and create a character that will most likely generate interesting conflicts and situations.

So, for instance, if one guy is playing a member of the Nobility with Beliefs like "Caste systems maintain order; I must protect the division between the aristocracy and the plebeians." and "Only true honor may be achieved in battle; I must plunge our nation into war so that I may glorify myself."

I might play a soldier who came from a poor serf family, was drafted into the army 20 years (there was a war going on) and through his own merit rose through the ranks until his achievements granted him a personal commendation from the King and elevated his family to the nobility where they now own land and have serfs of their own. He might have Beliefs like "A solider is nothing without a war to fight; I must find a way to rejoin battle so that I'm worth something again" and "A man should be judged on his own merits, and not on his race, culture, or caste; Bring about the end of the tyranny of the upper class"

So, now, these two characters:
1) Have a reason to interact regularly (i.e. "Be in a party") because they're both valued nobles.
2) Conflict heavily. One hates people who climb the social ladder, and one has successfully climbed the social ladder.
3) Have a common goal. They both want war. They both like war.

It's just awesome waiting to happen.

Pisha
2010-10-07, 12:25 PM
In general I have one class that I prefer to play, and if I've gone through a dry gaming spell lately I'll usually choose that or a variation on it. If I've recently gotten to have fun with that class, though, then it's time to explore! I like looking for classes I've never played before (or even considered playing) - it's a challenge.

Greenish
2010-10-07, 12:25 PM
Depends. Sometimes something in the setting makes me want to play a specific character, sometimes I'll go with what fits the party, sometimes I just go what I feel like, sometimes I notice a cool class/PrC/feat/item/whathaveyou and build around it.

Ravens_cry
2010-10-07, 12:34 PM
1) What does the party need?
2) What have I been playing lately?
3) What do I want to play?
4) Will I be able to play this without antagonizing the party too much?
5) Would this character fit in this campaign?

Quietus
2010-10-07, 12:37 PM
Typically I'll have some bare bones idea for a character I want to play - "Curse/fate necromancer", for example, and I'll troll the pbp forum in search of an open game that'd fit into. But sometimes if I just have the itch to game, I'll look for a game, read up on the setting, and see what ideas that sparks. If nothing comes to mind, well, that's unfortunate, I move on looking for other games. :smalltongue:

Shenanigans
2010-10-07, 01:10 PM
I've usually got two or three distinct concepts kicking around, and consult with the rest of the party to figure out what each of us is going to play, and select one of the concepts accordingly.

This is my basic strategy too. I try not to fall too much in love with one particular character concept, on the chance that it doesn't fit in well with the party and/or campaign.

bokodasu
2010-10-07, 01:33 PM
I have about a billion concepts I'd enjoy playing at any given time, so I go with one of two options:

1) See what the party needs, and pick something that fits and isn't too similar to the last character I played

2) Put together something ridiculous, then optimize it. (Gnome barbarian.)

Option 2 is for campaigns where players are busting out monks because they're superpowerful. I'm not very good at holding back, so I've found it's just easier if I put together a weak character, because then I can play it to its limits and not overshadow anyone else. Plus Buster the Half-Orc Bard is pretty entertaining.

Option 1 does have one odd side effect; because I have rules about how to determine "similar", I sort of tend to rotate through a predictable order of party roles. So there's one GM who's convinced I always play fighters, because it just so happens that whenever it's his turn to run games, it's my turn to play "I hit it with my sword". But really I almost never play regular fighty types.

Cogidubnus
2010-10-07, 01:43 PM
I tend to pick the idea I find most flavourful and know I can build. I also try to play a different concept each time.

Snake-Aes
2010-10-07, 01:44 PM
1) What does the party need?
2) What have I been playing lately?
3) What do I want to play?
4) Will I be able to play this without antagonizing the party too much?
5) Would this character fit in this campaign?
6) Flip a coin.

Duke of URL
2010-10-07, 02:38 PM
When I'm totally in gaming Zen, the character chooses me.

That is, there are some occasions where I just want to play a specific concept, and I roll with it. Sometimes, I look to see where the party needs support and fill the hole. However, some times, when I hear or read the game's premise, a character concept just... happens, and I then find a way to make it work.

Deconstructing the subconscious process, I suppose something in the game's premise sparks an idea of a side plot, a character description and backstory follow from that, and eventually it all crystallizes in an actual character. I'm just not aware of making those steps -- what I consciously know is that "oh, I've got an interesting idea, and it can work as...". I have the outline of a character personality and backstory in my head that meshes with the mechanics.

Now, getting that all down on paper is usually where I lose the thread, but that's another story.

Togo
2010-10-07, 02:48 PM
Generally I discuss with the party, and go with something that's

a) about as optimised as they are playing
b) fits the party balance
c) Isn't duplicating someone else's role
d) fits the setting

In about that order of priority. Over or under powerful characters wreck games. The party is the only thing in the game that's you really know is going to be around all the time, duplicating people really annoys me, and if all else is fine I look to what would suit the plot ideas the DM has for the setting.

I suspect my order of priority has something to do with the way I build my characters though. I tend to flesh out some interesting mechanics first, and then design a character and personality around the interface between that and the game setting. Because of that, my characters are almost always at least fairly flexible for the setting, so it's less of a priority than getting the mechanics right, which i'm more reluctant to change.

Ravens_cry
2010-10-07, 02:52 PM
6) Flip a coin.
Nah, it's the same reason I don't like rolling for stats. Unless I seriously can't decide between two equally valid character possibilities, I like having a sense of agency.

Tyndmyr
2010-10-07, 03:13 PM
It's quite simple really. I use an Oujia board, an apple, three cans of mountain dew, one pencil, seventeen M&Ms(green), a three story building and a handheld laser.

How else would you possible choose?

Greenish
2010-10-07, 03:19 PM
How else would you possible choose?Reading the entrails of a black lamb, butchered during a night of new moon.

Tyndmyr
2010-10-07, 03:26 PM
Well, that's better, I'll grant you, but holding off the campaign for a new moon can be rough.

And doing it by the light of the vampire movie just isn't the same.

the humanity
2010-10-07, 03:37 PM
if you can't decide, can't find a good reason to choose one of them, stat them up. if that helps none, then assign each a number and roll a dice.

Aron Times
2010-10-07, 03:42 PM
I favor the Eldritch Knight archetype with a dash of Rule of Cool. Here are some of the characters that I often play:

D&D 4e

1. Dragon sorcerer with a focus on fire magic. At first glance, I'm a lightly-armored guy (leather armor) with a knife (dagger). However, I can do terrible, terrible damage with my magic and I can burn things made of fire (even those immune to it, like efreeti). At paragon tier, I dual-wield daggers to improve my spellcasting (I roleplay my character as drawing symbols in the air with his daggers to cast his spells).

2. Half-orc assault swordmage. Half-orcs are still commonly portrayed as stupid due to their -2 int in 3.5, and I like playing against type. I wield a bastard sword one-handed like Kenpachi and Ichigo in Bleach and I can teleport all over the place (shunpo/flash step).

3. Tactical warlord/wizard. Basically the equivalent of a fighter/mage/cleric in 2e. I can fight, buff, heal, and blast people to smithereens, and dual-wielding a sword and a wand looks cool.

4. Telepathic psion. At-will mind control at level 3.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fot-PBRFebg

Forcing the solo to gank his minions is a lot of fun.

Snake-Aes
2010-10-07, 03:43 PM
Nah, it's the same reason I don't like rolling for stats. Unless I seriously can't decide between two equally valid character possibilities, I like having a sense of agency.

I mention it because if after deciding on the party's sake and on your record's sake and on your preference's sake, there's no reason to further complicate your thought process. Just flip a coin, you're going to like them all anyway.

Greenish
2010-10-07, 03:44 PM
And doing it by the light of the vampire movie just isn't the same.I'm usually against burning books as a principle, but when you really need to get the character picked before campaign starts, well, what can you do?

dsmiles
2010-10-07, 03:49 PM

Generally, if I'm the last one to the group, I'll do the polite thing and fill the missing niche.
If I'm not, I tend to have a rolodex of "standard character archetypes" in my head and I just spin it and grab one randomly. By "standard character archetypes" I mean: character concepts that I roleplay well. Sometimes it's the CHA-based rogue, sometimes it's the stabbey-throwey rogue, sometimes its the healbot cleric, sometimes it's the *GASP!* monk.

Dimers
2010-10-07, 03:55 PM
I'm usually making a character at the same time as everyone else. Like the OP, I have half-a-dozen good concepts ready to build. And everyone else in the group takes so darn long to pin down a concept themselves that I don't even have the "fill a needed role" option. So I typically make the most generalist of my character ideas -- the one who can do a little of everything and can survive/escape the most problematic situations.

In one of my current games, I joined a group that's been playing for a decade, and none of the existing players were changing characters. So I knew the party roles pretty clearly. They could make the most use of a tank, a buff-caster or a skillmonkey ... and since I'd be starting in at four and a half levels below the most powerful of them, I figured buff-caster would be my only chance to make a real contribution. Strong healing would be a bonus, so I went divine, with a homebrewed class specific to the gameworld.

Horoar
2010-10-07, 04:36 PM
I generally have a few competing ideas. I never bother to optimise, so i just go with what i think will be the most fun.
If that character dies i might make the new one fill a niche.

Traveler
2010-10-07, 05:05 PM
I choose by... (in most important to least)
A: A concept that I would like to try out. (Kobold gladiator, varag ranger, human ninja, etc)
B: What the party needs. Is often over ruled by A.
C: A concept that I am familiar with. While I have been playing for a few years now, I still have many things I would like to try before going to the 'old standby' character.
D: Insert forgotten thing here.

In the event of multiply choices, make a pros and con list based on mechanics and role playing oppertunities. Most points win.

Remmirath
2010-10-07, 05:08 PM
First I'll check to see what the party needs, and if they do need something than I'll try to fit whatever concept I may have to that.

I'll usually have several character ideas knocking around in my head, so I pick one that I think should be interesting to roleplay in that group and (ideally) isn't very much like something I've done recently.

Beyond that it's a matter of staring at the character sheet and thinking until everything comes into place.

And, though I hate to admit it, if I really can't come up with an interesting seeming character at that time, I'll just slap something together (possibly with intended humour value) and hope they die off soon so I can make a character I actually like. This is, however, clearly a last resort.

For my usual game, I don't really have to pick between possible characters as I'll be playing multiple characters anyhow. When I do have to pick that, I usually base it on what I think will be the most fun with the party and setting of that game.

Dr.Epic
2010-10-07, 05:11 PM
Depends what the party needs, although if you decide to go cleric or druid you should be fine no matter what.

Lord Raziere
2010-10-07, 06:55 PM
Design all your characters out in advance, leave enough room in said designs to be flexible to whatever campaign your playing, so that when you sit down, you already have a bunch of characters to choose from and you just to look to what the party needs or something like that to choose what your going to play.

if you're really dedicated, try making a different batch of characters for each setting you play in advance: for example I have one group of characters for Eberron, one group for Dark Sun and one group for generic and homebrew DnD settings.

onthetown
2010-10-07, 07:26 PM
Sometimes I go with what the party needs, other times I go for my own fun -- after all, if they didn't choose the class that we needed, then I don't see why I should force myself to do it. You can always pick up hirelings, minions, cohorts, etc, later on. (Most of my friends and I hate playing clerics, so we usually just hire one.)

Sometimes it's the flavour of the campaign. My best friend and I are playing Temple of Elemental Evil right now. She's playing a shadowy Tiefling Rogue, I'm playing an outgoing Aasimar Bard. We're having a lot of fun with opposites (and, as usual, we picked up the other classes that we needed).

I almost always fall back on magic-users, though, because they're what I'm most comfortable with. So, my answer would have to be that I choose for comfort and fun. I'm not opposed to the idea of playing something totally different, but I have the most fun with what I'm most comfortable with.

I have played about every class from the PHB, so that kind of helps.

Dsurion
2010-10-07, 09:42 PM
If I'm not, I tend to have a rolodex of "standard character archetypes" in my head and I just spin it and grab one randomly. By "standard character archetypes" I mean: character concepts that I roleplay well. Sometimes it's the CHA-based rogue, sometimes it's the stabbey-throwey rogue, sometimes its the healbot cleric, sometimes it's the *GASP!* monk.

This. We usually don't really bother to "fill roles" a lot, because our DM usually has challenges built for our specific group when possible, which definitely adds to the fun. No need to make anyone play a class they don't want. We almost all like Skill-based guys and Fighting-Men over other archetypes. Missing slots are for hired mooks.

Leon
2010-10-08, 12:05 AM

Sometimes on a whim - i always have a lot of PC idea's going and it can be hard to narrow it down so seeing what a group has covered and adapting from that. Also dont like to play a class if there is already another of that type.

Also what Stats i have rolled can factor a class choice as some of the idea's need better stats than others.

Overall most commonly i'll play a Divine caster (Variant Druids rank most highly) or a Sorcerer with a lean to being a Gish.

Current game im in I started as a Archivist as i'd not played one and it looked very good, we had a Cleric at that time so i could contiune to play support from (what i had) hoped was a lot of different angles with the large array of spells but overtime it became obvious that the DM didnt care that the class was all about varied spell option and i was stuck as a very limited cleric.

I have recently converted my PC to Cloistered cleric as the party no longer had a Cleric and we realy needed a good support caster with a flexible list.

Current online game i play a Warblade because i wanted a nice simple hard hitter to play and had been reading Tome of Battle a lot.