PDA

View Full Version : Immortality

Admiral Squish
2010-10-07, 12:03 PM
We all know the traditional ways of getting out of aging. Most involve becoming undead of some sort. Vampire, lich, what have you. But those seem rather tired, and I'm pretty sure most of them don't work on a (pseudo)dragon. So, I'm looking for alternatives. Is there any other way to turn my character immortal? I don't think she'd have a problem with evil methods, but I'd like to avoid anything that would cost too much in terms of leveling.

The-Mage-King
2010-10-07, 12:05 PM
Go elan.

Turn yourself into a warforged.

Turn yoursekf into a different sort of construct.

Keld Denar
2010-10-07, 12:11 PM
Reincarnation keeps you young, if you don't mind changing race every 60-500 years. It explicitly brings you back as a young adult of whatever race you become. So, make friends with a druid and buy yourself a nice, shiney sacrificial dagger to fall on when you start to feel the weight of years burdening your shoulders.

Crossblade
2010-10-07, 12:14 PM
Dracolich.

Greenish
2010-10-07, 12:17 PM
Wedded to History.

Admiral Squish
2010-10-07, 12:21 PM
Go elan.

Turn yourself into a warforged.

Turn yoursekf into a different sort of construct.

Race has already been chosen, I'm playing a power-hungry pseudodragon.

Reincarnation keeps you young, if you don't mind changing race every 60-500 years. It explicitly brings you back as a young adult of whatever race you become. So, make friends with a druid and buy yourself a nice, shiney sacrificial dagger to fall on when you start to feel the weight of years burdening your shoulders.

Problem is the Monster Manual says pseudodragon has a lifespan of fifteen years, so this would have to repeat rather quickly. I'm looking for a more permanent solution.

Dracolich.

Where do I find that? I know what it is,but never really looked close at it.

Wedded to History.

Where do I find that? I've never heard of it before.

hamishspence
2010-10-07, 12:23 PM
Dracolich is in Draconomicon.

Wedded to History is a feat in Dragon Magazine. 354 (April 2007) to be precise. It also had a 9th level spell that did it, and an Extraordinary Trait (Endless) that did it.

Aharon
2010-10-07, 12:33 PM
And here's a list: Link (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=5996.0). Somebody compiled lots of ways over at Brillantgameologists :smallbiggrin:

Fun Fact: D&D includes a reference to the picture of Dorian Gray (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Picture_of_Dorian_Gray). It's an artifact, though. Not available without DM-intervention :smallannoyed:

Diarmuid
2010-10-07, 12:33 PM
Research a new spell

Eldan
2010-10-07, 03:57 PM
Live on the Astral Plane.

dsmiles
2010-10-07, 04:18 PM
Disbelieve time?

Ilmryn
2010-10-07, 04:21 PM
I belive the Dragon Ascendant PrC(draconomicon) would do the job. It essentially involves you becoming a god. However, it is a bit hard to get into if i remember correctly.

Keld Denar
2010-10-07, 04:26 PM
Disbelieve time?

Iron Heart Surge time? Time has a duration, right?

Raimun
2010-10-07, 05:04 PM
Level to 20+ levels, move to a place where you can and will fight an eternity and always choose Extended Life Span when you get Feats.

That's the true man's immortality.

Shhalahr Windrider
2010-10-07, 05:58 PM
Problem is the Monster Manual says pseudodragon has a lifespan of fifteen years, so this would have to repeat rather quickly. I'm looking for a more permanent solution.
So? The lifespan of your starting race only matters for the first time around. After 14 years, you sacrifice yourself. Get reincarnated. Hey! You lucked out and got the body of a 129 year old elf, now. That’ll give you another 215 years, minimum, before you have to worry about pulling the same trick again.

Admiral Squish
2010-10-07, 06:22 PM
So? The lifespan of your starting race only matters for the first time around. After 14 years, you sacrifice yourself. Get reincarnated. Hey! You lucked out and got the body of a 129 year old elf, now. That’ll give you another 215 years, minimum, before you have to worry about pulling the same trick again.

I would prefer staying as a pseudodragon, though, you see.

Chrono22
2010-10-07, 06:26 PM
Make some clones (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/clone.htm).
Store them in a secure location.

J.Gellert
2010-10-07, 06:31 PM
Steal Life from Book of Vile Darkness should fit with the power-hungry theme.

DarkEternal
2010-10-07, 06:38 PM
There's one prestige Class, Ulruath or something that has a special thing about it that basically moves you back an age category, giving you all the bonuses of old age and erasing all the penalties off it. Not much, but it's a start!

Admiral Squish
2010-10-07, 10:02 PM
Steal like probably WOULD work, but the character is a warlock. I thought 'sold her soul for power' would fit the theme quite nicely. I guess I can try to talk my DM into some sort of dark invocation that does similar.

One Step Two
2010-10-07, 10:47 PM
As a warlock, with your ability to trick magic items, you can make a scroll of Steal Life.

Claudius Maximus
2010-10-07, 11:38 PM
Well you only need to cast it a few times a month at most (probably much less if you just want to break even in age). A 1/month item of it could be cheaper, but that'd be a custom job.

Admiral Squish
2010-10-07, 11:39 PM
That would certainly work. I mean, it's not like I'd be draining anyone without some special considerations. Sting could put them to sleep for long enough to get a good head start on the life-sucking.

Still, it seems to be a rather temporary solution. You could take off a bit more than a year with each casting if you have a guy with all 10s. I could see this as quite workable if I had some way to extend my lifespan a bit.

dsmiles
2010-10-08, 04:36 AM
Iron Heart Surge time? Time has a duration, right?

If somebody took the time to work this out in a mathematical equation for a game, I'd probably just give it to them. Mostly because they've got way too much time on their hands.

kamikasei
2010-10-08, 04:43 AM
If your character is already a warlock, try taking some levels in cleric and then in eldritch disciple. They get timeless body but without the clause about dying when you reach your maximum age.

Go elan.
Becoming an elan doesn't do much to make you immortal. It makes the elan that you turn in to, with none of your memories or abilities, immortal. Perhaps this is metaphysically different to just killing your character and rolling up a new one, but in practical terms...

LibraryOgre
2010-10-08, 10:58 AM
It's not explicitly in the rules, but it IS a unique solution:

Use Leadership to become a familiar to a very long-lived race... like an elf or something. It's not covered in the rules, but familiars usually have life-spans tied to their "masters", rather than their natural species.

Check with your DM and see if he'll allow it.