PDA

View Full Version : Bonus spells due to high ability score

maysarahs
2010-10-07, 03:22 PM
Do the bonus spells due to high ability score allow characters to apply metamagic feats and use those slots? Eg: could a wizard level 2 with an intelligence of 20 apply a metamagic feat to a first level spell to make it a second level spell, and use his bonus second level slot to cast it?

Urpriest
2010-10-07, 03:23 PM
...yes. Why wouldn't it work that way? (Not asking to be rude, asking because since you're doubting this there's something major you're misunderstanding, which it would be good to clear up).

Edit: Oh hadn't noticed the Wizard 2 mentioned. Tynmdyr is indeed correct.

Another_Poet
2010-10-07, 03:23 PM
Bonus spells just dictate what extra spell slots you have available per day, not what you prepare in them. Use them like normal slots. Metamagic is fine.

edit: Ah, I didn't see "wizard level 2." I am wrong. No, you may not do it.

Also, be aware you don't get extra spells known, just spells per day. I realise this is irrelevant to your question, but it's a common misunderstanding so worth mentioning.

Tyndmyr
2010-10-07, 03:24 PM
Do the bonus spells due to high ability score allow characters to apply metamagic feats and use those slots? Eg: could a wizard level 2 with an intelligence of 20 apply a metamagic feat to a first level spell to make it a second level spell, and use his bonus second level slot to cast it?

No. You do not get bonus spells of levels higher than you can cast.*

*Occasionally, there is a 0 in the spells per day of a class. At that level, you do get bonus spells for that spell level.

tyckspoon
2010-10-07, 03:27 PM

No, because he doesn't have 2nd level slots at all yet. The bonus slots aren't.. I suppose 'active' would be a good word.. until your class progression gives you spells of that level. It's the difference between having - spells of a given level and having 0, as in the Paladin and Ranger spell progressions; when they have 0, they can use any bonus slots they get.

Another_Poet
I think Tyndmyr is misunderstanding. If you are asking whether you can use a bonus 2nd level slot to prepare a [First level spell with +1 level metamagic adjustment] in that slot, ignore his answer.

If that's wrong, then I'm misunderstanding, and you should ignore my answer.

Ah, I didn't see "wizard level 2." I am wrong. No, you may not do it.

Zeofar
No. You do not get bonus spells of levels higher than you can cast.*

*Occasionally, there is a 0 in the spells per day of a class. At that level, you do get bonus spells for that spell level.

Tyndmyr is right. I think the other people misunderstood your question, or didn't realize when Wizards got 2nd level spells.

Douglas
2010-10-07, 03:31 PM
I think the first two replies here misunderstood what the OP asked. Yes, you can use the bonus slots for anything that normal slots could be used for. That is not being questioned.

The question is whether you get those bonus slots right from the start at level 1 even though you don't yet have normal spell slots of that level yet. The answer is no, you only get bonus spell slots for spell levels that your non-bonus progression has reached. In some cases, such as Bard and most other half-casters, there are points where you get 0 spell slots of a particular level, and this is specifically pointed out as being different from "-" spell slots because it allows you to get your bonus spell slots for that level.

Edit: Heh, ninja-edited by both of the first two replies editing in acknowledgment of their mistake.

maysarahs
2010-10-07, 04:06 PM
Thank you all, sorry for the confusing wording. I was just arguing with one of my (experienced DM) players about whether or not it is possible, thank you for the Bard/Ranger/Paladin slots to refer to as proof of my argument (that it isn't possible). Thank you again!