PDA

View Full Version : Help a Wizard get some Prestige! [3.0]

Dormammu
2010-10-07, 03:51 PM
Hey I'm playing a 3.0 campaign right now and I'm thinking about taking a prestige class soon.

Unfortunately I found that many of the prestige classes I was aiming for after while flipping through my 3.5 books are different in 3.0.

I also found out, to my mounting horror, that the DM is only going to allow material from:
Tome and Blood, Sword and fist, Song And Silence, Masters of the wild, and Defenders of the faith (all 3.0 edition).

If you are thinking of any cheese assume the DM is a real hard-ass (he is, though the game is excellent).

I'm a Level 6 Halfling Wizard

Feats:
Spell Focus Conj.

Spell Focus Illusion (From back when I thought Archmage was a possibility)

Craft Wonderous

Extend Spell (Perhaps Loremaster?)

Scribe Scroll (free to Wizard)

And my Skill ranks are:
Bluff: 2
Concentration: 9
Diplomacy: 1
Handle Animal: 3 (I ride a special War dog)
Know Arcana: 6
Know Hist: 1
Know Nature: 3
Know Religion: 1
Know Planes: 1
Ride: 2 (I ride a special War dog)
Spellcraft: 9
Tumble:1
Speak Language: 3

I think you can see how I thought I had more wiggle room in the last few levels. So what are my options?

The best I can think is to try for Loremaster at level 9 and then use the extra skill points for Mindbender? Something?

Remember only the books listed can be used and only in their 3.0 versions.

Keld Denar
2010-10-07, 03:56 PM
Iot7V was in 3.0, wasn't it? Gah, my memory of 3.0 stuff is nearly shot. Also, why not Archmage? It was in the 3.0 DMG, IIRC.

Dormammu
2010-10-07, 04:01 PM
Iot7V was in 3.0, wasn't it? Gah, my memory of 3.0 stuff is nearly shot. Also, why not Archmage? It was in the 3.0 DMG, IIRC.

Sadly, you do not recall correctly. Don't feel bad neither did I! No Archmage for this little hobbit!

Also, no Initiate of the 7fold Veil either (at least not in Tome and Blood.)

Keld Denar
2010-10-07, 04:04 PM
How about this? Go through TaB, write down the names of every full casting PrC in there here, and we'll tell you from there?

ranagrande
2010-10-07, 04:47 PM
If you have a familiar, you're only a few knowledge points away from qualifying for Alienist, but it isn't really that good.

If I were you, I would stick with your plan to become a Loremaster. Once you get there, pump all of your skill points into Perform and cross-class into Diplomacy and then become a Virtuoso at the first opportunity.

Or you could start putting points into Scry and become a Divine Oracle instead of a Loremaster.

aeauseth
2010-10-07, 04:53 PM
These are the ones I found that you "might" qualify for with a bit of work. I don't have the Sword & Fist book, so need thoughts from someone who does.

OOZEMASTER (MotW:67)
VIRTUOSO (SS:22)
ARCANE TRICKSTER (TB:47)
BLOOD MAGUS (TB:50) half caster progression
CANDLE CASTER (TB:52)
ELEMENTAL SAVANT (TB:57)
FATESPINNER (TB:58) half caster progression
MAGE OF THE ARCANE ORDER (TB:61)
MINDBENDER (TB:63) half caster progression
PALE MASTER (TB:64) half caster progression

The Elemental Savant and Arcane Order look interesting, the rest not so much. I've not played any of these PrC's so I can't really give a recommendation.

Keld Denar
2010-10-07, 05:05 PM
Eh, any reason why you WANT to PrC? You'd probably be best served just soaking up the bonus feats and spending them on the things YOU want, rather than trying to meet a bunch of prereqs...

Dormammu
2010-10-07, 06:01 PM
Sound Advice!

After reading my copy of T&B I can classify the PRC’s into three groups.

Doesn’t Suck: The only ones I consider worth thinking about
One level dip: These lose caster levels but only on level 2
Total Suck: These lose Caster levels at level 1 or are horrible in other ways.

Doesn’t Suck:
Alienist: I need Know Planes and Arcana 8 Plus Alertness (Granted with Familiar?) and to make contact with another Alienist. This actually isn't so bad in 3.0.
Candle Caster: Need Craft Candle and Great fortitude
Elemental Savant: Need Energy Substitution and Know Planes & Arcana 8
Mage of the Arcane Order: Arcana 8 and Cooprative Spell (a possibility)

One Level dip:
Mind Bender: Need Leadership and 4 ranks in all social skills loses caster level after 1st
Pale Master: Need Skill focus Know Religion (also for Loremaster). Lose caster level after 1st
Wayfairer guide: Arcana 10, Sanctum Spell, Skill focus Geography, loses caster level after 1st

Total Suck:
Acolyte of the Skin: (Loses Caster Levels)
Arcane Trickster: (Need Sneak Attack)
Bladesinger: Elves only
Blood Magus: I haven't died... yet. Loses Caster Levels
Dragon Disciple: No Caster level
Fatespinner: Arcana 8& Any other Know 8 Loses Caster Levels
Spell Sword: Need All weapons and All armor (basically a 1 level dip in fighter) Also Loses Caster level
True Necromancer: Have to be a mid-level cleric

Dormammu
2010-10-07, 06:07 PM
Divine Oracle instead of a Loremaster.

Divine Oracle eh? Where's that?

Il_Vec
2010-10-07, 06:17 PM
These are the ones I found that you "might" qualify for with a bit of work. I don't have the Sword & Fist book, so need thoughts from someone who does.

I have it. Absolutely no Prcs there have any caster levels.

ranagrande
2010-10-07, 09:48 PM
Divine Oracle eh? Where's that?
It's in Defenders of the Faith, and it's one of the rare classes there that does not require you to be a divine caster.

Dracons
2010-10-07, 09:58 PM
Hope you chose Toad instead of any other familiar.

Why the mighty toad you ask instead of others?

Because 3.0 grants a +2 to consitution score.

That means more HPs, more fort save, and more to your concentration skill. Yeah, a whole plus one to your concentration and fort save, but it still a whopping 20 extra HP if you go all the way to level 20. Even at level 6, that still 6 more HPs.

Toad familar is the only familar that keeps giving unlike alll the other familiars.

Dormammu
2010-10-08, 02:22 AM
Hope you chose Toad instead of any other familiar.

Yup!

Just read Defenders of the Faith and I'm surprised no one mentioned Sacred Exorcist. Big Hit Die, Extra 'Domains' full caster progression and even favored enemies!

Dormammu
2010-10-08, 02:58 PM
I'd like to thank everyone for their help. I now have several options to think about!

Douglas
2010-10-08, 03:17 PM
Also, why not Archmage? It was in the 3.0 DMG, IIRC.
Archmage was originally introduced in the 3.0 Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting book. It was also a major part of the save DC inflation that 3.5 made a point of cutting back on, as the 3.0 version of Spell Power added to save DC in three strengths (+1, +2, or +3, each with a different level spell slot cost) and you could explicitly take all three of them for +6 total.