PDA

View Full Version : Help me pick a weapon, and explain stuff plz

TechnOkami
2010-10-07, 06:47 PM
I'm playing a beguiler, and I know that picking a weapon isn't as necessary (or maybe it is, I don't know) for a beguiler due to their spell casting abilities, but I want a backup. I'm trying to choose between...

a. Elven Court Blade

b. Dual wielding Kukris

c. Dual wielding Rapier and Kukri

d. Something better?

Is TWF even that important or useful as a backup, or am I making too much fuss about picking something for this character to wield?

SurlySeraph
2010-10-07, 06:50 PM
TWF is only really useful if you have a good source of bonus damage, usually Sneak Attack. Of the options you listed, I'd go with the Court Blade, though a non-exotic weapon would be better because there's no point in spending feats on weapon finesse and a finessable two-handed weapon when you could be spending those feats on your spells and actually having an impact.

Plus a lot of DMs don't let you cast spells with somatic components while dual-wielding.

Frosty
2010-10-07, 06:56 PM
Grab a Scythe. And a Short Bow. You don't care about non-proficiency penalty for the Scythe because it will typically be swung after a "Hold Person" or "Sleep"

Il_Vec
2010-10-07, 06:56 PM
I've been playing a beguiler/wizard/ultimate magus for a while. I carry around a Spear. I've NEVER used it. EVER.

Pick the one you think is coolest looking.

Brendan
2010-10-07, 06:57 PM
dual wielding is extremely inefficient and weak compared to other methods. It is also feat intensive which means that to even be decent in TWF, you will need to use up feats that would be better spent on really any other method. just go for a single rapier or any easily learnt weapon.

Keld Denar
2010-10-07, 07:17 PM
Carrying around a long spear is actually pretty useful. You'll get to trigger a fair number of AoOs just because you have reach. As a 3x crit weapon, its also pretty decent for delivering a CDG, should you knock a foe out and need to resort to that. Also, if you blind a foe with Glitterdust, you can poke them with your spear and they won't know which square you are in. NORMALLY, when a foe attacks you from an ADJACENT square, you'll know what square they are attacking you from. Since you aren't adjacent though, they won't. Its kinda a neat loophole.

Sure, it won't really do a lot. Get an Energy Assault Augement Crystal or such, and maybe eventually upgrade it with Spellstoring so you can load a Whelm or such into to for a little extra oomph, but for the most part, its just a couple of points of free damage simply for standing there and looking pretty.

EDIT: Also, casting spells while duel wielding is crappy. You have to sheath one weapon or drop it or burn a feat on Somatic Weaponry. With a 2handed weapon, you simply take one hand off, cast the spell, then put the hand back on the weapon. No actions required.

HunterOfJello
2010-10-07, 07:39 PM
Beguilers usually have much better dexterity than strength. So, you're going to want to go with a ranged weapon and/or a finesseable weapon. You already have to spend a feat on Weapon Finesse to hit anything so doing two weapon fighting or an exotic proficiency isn't a good idea.

That leaves you with a xbow or bow and possibly a rapier if you have to get close.

MarkusWolfe
2010-10-07, 08:59 PM
Go with the longspear. It'll encourage enemies to keep away from you.

Leon
2010-10-07, 11:11 PM
d. Something better?

I making too much fuss about picking something for this character to wield?

Yep as much as I like the Courtblade having a nice simple weapon like a Morning Star would proabaly be a better and cheaper option. Its a Dual Damage, Decent Damge dice and Simple to use.
A long spear is also a great weapon to have if you want to help in melee but not be at as much risk

true_shinken
2010-10-07, 11:15 PM
You already have to spend a feat on Weapon Finesse to hit anything so doing two weapon fighting or an exotic proficiency isn't a good idea.

You could just use a feycrafted weapon.
TWF is still a bad choice, though.