PDA

View Full Version : Need help building a monster

Doomboy911
2010-10-07, 08:21 PM
Basically the monster is going to act as a minor annoyance to the party leader (a barbarian who is pretty tough) It's supposed to look like http://www.weirdworm.com/13-of-the-worlds-most-bizarre-plants-and-fungi/ number four and be nice. The idea is it follows him around constantly trying to climb onto him which slows his movement speed by 10. I'm looking for some abilities I can attach to it to make it kind of hard to kill so when the dude tries to kill it, it simply comes back later. It isn't going to have any kind of attack and it's going to work more like a pet .

Ability wise I want it to have all the kinds of energy resistance (so he can pick it up and use it as cover or armor, maybe carapace ) a slow movement speed, adhesive so at times it will stick to him and he can't get it off (regeneration for when it gets ripped to shreds) and does anyone know if their is any ability that causes a creature to grow with water or some other substance non magical?

Also for anyone wondering what this indestructible thing is called his name is Mushi Mushi since that's the only noise it makes.

Debihuman
2010-10-07, 09:02 PM
Which game system and which edition?

Debby

Doomboy911
2010-10-07, 09:14 PM
3.5 and ebberon

blackjack217
2010-10-07, 09:41 PM
regen + soul hidey place

Doomboy911
2010-10-07, 10:19 PM
regen + soul hidey place
I concur with the regen but I don't think mushi can be a lich. He's kind of like that fungus thing mixed with a sheep dog.

Cidolfas
2010-10-08, 10:27 AM
What if you have something like Improved Grab, except that it applies when the opponent attacks the creature in melee? Similarly, it could prevent returning weapons from coming back and make a free disarm check whenever attacked with a melee weapon. If it draws a creature in with he grapple, it can engulf them and then the creature takes damage with the creature whenever it is attacked, perhaps as a shield other spell or maybe the creature takes full and the engulfed victim takes half. It may not be too much of an impediment to a wizard, but it seems to me like it would piss the hell out of a barbarian.

Doomboy911
2010-10-08, 09:38 PM
I was thinking more that he'd carry it as they have significant reason to do it since it has a great defense. To balance things I made it so it can't really fight, no biting or crushing. Totally keep carapace and regen to avoid spells and to keep it dying. Since making it indestructible would be unfair I made it so cold freezes it (it's mostly water and protein) and poison makes it sick.

Feat wise I gave it track (only able to track things with water or bodies of water). Intelligence wise it's smart enough to avoid traps but not smart enough to looking for them to avoid.

Cidolfas
2010-10-09, 10:18 AM
It sounds more like a parasite than anything else if it's trying to climb onto him all the time. :smallbiggrin: Even if it couldn't make attacks normally, shouldn't it at least have some kind of reactionary defense? It seems rather cruel to have a monster that bugs the hell out of your party and then offers nothing when the fighting starts; if the impediment outweighs the benefit, there's no reason for them to keep it.

Doomboy911
2010-10-09, 11:32 AM
It does have the benefit that it makes for decent armor that is carrying it around defends from most things. Since the party lacks a wizard I was thinking at the very least I could give it detect magic so it's kind of like a harmless bloodhound.