PDA

View Full Version : Frenzied Berserker Help/Questions

Master Thrower
2010-10-07, 09:15 PM
Currently I am making a frenzied Berserker and was wondering how my build looks.

Class levels
1 Barbarian
2 Barbarian
3 Barbarian
4 Fighter
5 Fighter
6 Tribal Protector (Random tribal stuff that doesnt matter)
7 tribal Protector (Wild Fighting)
8-Frenzied Berserker

Feats
1st- Power Attack, Cleave. (Level 1, human)
3rd Destructive Rage (level 3)
4th Improved Toughness (Fighter)
5th Great Cleave (Fighter)
6th Intimidating Rage, Exotic Weapon Pro. (Level 6, Tribal Protector)
Die Hard (Bonus Feat from FB)
Adamantine Mercurial Great sword +1 5600
Mirthril Full Plate 10500

Also does the extra attack from frenzy and wild fighting stack to give me 4 attacks with a full attack?

Il_Vec
2010-10-07, 09:55 PM
What books to you have acess to?
I believe the attacks do accumulate. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

Awnetu
2010-10-07, 10:00 PM
Look at Steadfast Determination. And yes.

herrhauptmann
2010-10-07, 10:01 PM
Question, is the great cleave a requirement for FB? If not, I'd suggest not using it, dump it instead for steadfast endurance (the one that lets you get con to will save).
Everyone makes a big deal about making a saving throw to end your frenzy, I'd say the bigger issue is making the saving throw that ensures you don't frenzy involuntarily (such as taking damage from a trap or ranged attack.) Combine the two of thoughts, and ask yourself if you really want to frenzy from a poison dart trap and take out half your party just with cleaves.

Il_Vec
2010-10-07, 10:04 PM
Great Cleave is requirement for Tribal Protector.
I asked about the books because this looks a lot like a 3.0 FB build, and that means a lot of the usual FB tricks are out.

Awnetu
2010-10-07, 10:04 PM
Question, is the great cleave a requirement for FB? If not, I'd suggest not using it, dump it instead for steadfast endurance (the one that lets you get con to will save).
Everyone makes a big deal about making a saving throw to end your frenzy, I'd say the bigger issue is making the saving throw that ensures you don't frenzy involuntarily (such as taking damage from a trap or ranged attack.) Combine the two of thoughts, and ask yourself if you really want to frenzy from a poison dart trap and take out half your party just with cleaves.

Not an issue, give your party 3 bags of marbles, dont let them have you scout ahead, and take Steadfast Determination to help with the little parts.

maybe have a party member keep some small number of rats and the quickdraw feat :).

Dr.Epic
2010-10-07, 10:11 PM
You can get there by level 6 which I would recommend because the best part of frenzied berserker (deathless frenzied) comes at level 4.

Bobbis
2010-10-07, 10:12 PM
My most successful frenzied berserker was one where I had managed to pump his willsave up (either through party buffs like owls wisdom, items, or even owls wisdom.) The main downside of the class is burning a frenzy and offing your party when an arrow hits you from a trap. Get your save up high enough, and you practically negate that issue.

Il_Vec
2010-10-07, 10:18 PM
If you can acess Complete Warrior and Complete Adventurer, this:

Feats
1st- Power Attack, Cleave
3rd Destructive Rage
4th Great Cleave
5th Improved Bull Rush
6th Intimidating Rage, Shock Trooper
9th Leap Attack

And if you can use Complete Champion, the Lion Totem Barbarian AFC for pounce.

Remember that Steadfast Determination has Endurance as a Pre-requisite.

Awnetu
2010-10-07, 10:50 PM
I would say shock trooper can wait, I'd consider the will save to be in need of a serious shot in the arm, charm/dominate/etc, are all a problem, as well as that DC 20 Will Save req as soon as you get your first level.

Myth
2010-10-08, 05:14 AM
It could be argued that Iron Heart Surge can negate Frenzy, in which case you better get your hands on the ToB.

I love Frenzied Berzerker, going for charge optimization is the best way because of his stronger PA class feature.

FelixG
2010-10-08, 05:29 AM
What you really need is a bucket of water for when you get deathless frenzy... :smallbiggrin:

Starbuck_II
2010-10-08, 06:02 AM
It could be argued that Iron Heart Surge can negate Frenzy, in which case you better get your hands on the ToB.

I love Frenzied Berzerker, going for charge optimization is the best way because of his stronger PA class feature.

You can't Iron Heart because you are suposed to treat allies as foes. If you'd Frenzy vs any foe, you can't not frenzy vs allies.

Master Thrower
2010-10-08, 07:05 AM
Stopping the frenzy isnt an issue. i plan to keep an average will save and just have the cleric use calm emotions. what weapon should i use? currently im using the mercurial great sword, but im not sure if its worth the feat. and i have access to core+first four completes+ the 3.0 versions of them+ Arms and equipment guide

Awnetu
2010-10-08, 09:54 AM
Greatswords are probably the best way to go, if you like big crits, maybe a Scythe?

I hope the DM does not ever try to dominate you.

Il_Vec
2010-10-08, 11:05 AM
I strongly believe the mercurial greatsword is not worth the feat.

Last Laugh
2010-10-08, 11:11 AM
Stopping the frenzy isnt an issue. i plan to keep an average will save and just have the cleric use calm emotions. what weapon should i use? currently im using the mercurial great sword, but im not sure if its worth the feat. and i have access to core+first four completes+ the 3.0 versions of them+ Arms and equipment guide

I think you should have a back up plan to stop the frenzy. the copy of calm emotions I have (only have 3.5 may be different enough that it doesn't matter) merely suppresses the frenzy and ends if you take damage. I also don't think you can benefit from mindblank aaaand calm emotions. (Mindblank is a wonderful spell for lower will saves)
Tell to rogues to keep wands of grease (or scrolls, whatever) and the wizards to have at least 1 grease spell prepped.

(there are still issues where the cleric has acted for the round and can't calm you before you 1shot the rogue tho...)

Fouredged Sword
2010-10-08, 11:19 AM
Iorn Heart Surge would be a great to take as a feat. It is an offensive ability (it grants a to hit bonus on your next attack), so it would be considered a option to use even during a frenzy. You can decern friend from foe while frenzied, you just have to keep attacking even if all foes are gone. IHS allows you to end your frenzy whenever you wish, but it takes a standard action, so it isn't something I would considerer unbalanced in any way.

It also works wonders on most enchantment effects and domination. I had a character who used IHS every day several times just to make sure there was no enchantment spells on him he didn't know about.

herrhauptmann
2010-10-08, 04:32 PM

Have you asked the cleric if he's okay with the fact that he'll need to prep calm emotions several times a day solely for your character idea? Yes it's a good idea from optimization/party tactics viewpoint, but just expecting that out of party members can be really irritating to the player who has to do the casting.
Perhaps at character creation you could purchase a wand of it and just hand it to the cleric before play starts. Also if the cleric gets killed/incapicitated, someone with UMD would have a chance of calming you down.

edit: Oh yes, I'd recommend the minotaur greathammer from MM4 as a potential weapon for a FB. If you're looking for a weapon that says "I do lots of damage in a hit, and no I'm not compensating for anything," that 60 pound hammer you picked off of the overgrown minotaur would do nicely.