PDA

View Full Version : Tomb of Horror character building time!

Joshinthemosh
2010-10-08, 02:17 AM
So Playground my friend got the brilliant idea to run the Tomb of Horrors after I led him to this thread http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=170547. Okay my bad. But now that we're past that I need YOUR help. The DM is telling everyone to bring several characters (in my case four) to the table. I need help building four kick ass characters to help me survive this.

I'm pretty locked in on races and classes(but not PrCs_ but I can be convinced to change. Bascially all books are fair game. No Raptorans unfortunatly. Level 9 campagin.

1st character-Goliath Barbarian wielding a Ribbon Jovar.
2nd character-Water Halfling Spellthief
3rd character-Tortle Druid
4th character-Human Swordsage

Thanks in advance for the help and ideas.

jebob
2010-10-08, 04:01 PM
I've no help for your characters, but (http://imagemacros.files.wordpress.com/2009/06/its_a_trap.jpg)...

Nanoblack
2010-10-08, 04:18 PM

Seems like you've got everything handled pretty well. If you're competent enough to mix and match races and classes like that then you should be able to make your own characters just as well. I apologize if that sounds rude, but you aren't offering much to work with. :smallamused:

Starbuck_II
2010-10-08, 04:28 PM
So Playground my friend got the brilliant idea to run the Tomb of Horrors after I led him to this thread http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=170547. Okay my bad. But now that we're past that I need YOUR help. The DM is telling everyone to bring several characters (in my case four) to the table. I need help building four kick ass characters to help me survive this.

I'm pretty locked in on races and classes(but not PrCs_ but I can be convinced to change. Bascially all books are fair game. No Raptorans unfortunatly. Level 9 campagin.

Thanks in advance for the help and ideas.
Just in case, 5th character- Lumi race Multiheaded (2, Lanearn) Incarnate 3.
You can stop now. You are no longer killable. Barring Disintegrate spell. Pretty sure that isn't used that much in that module (it perfers just killing you and [Death] effects)

Lumi is an outsider race with 2 La and 2 HD in Monster Manual 3.
Multiheaded is in Savage Species.
I had a real hard time thinking up class.

Dr Bwaa
2010-10-08, 05:06 PM
There is no help for you. All I can do is provide you with some sentences that amuse me.

Don't make a divine caster, because if your DM is running ToH, there is no God. Not even in your D&D world.
Astral Project.
Every character needs a handy haversack and two of every mundane item in the book.
Don't worry about a way to sleep. It won't come up.
The more sourcebooks you use, the longer you can delay your deaths by looking things up in them.

amaranth69
2010-10-08, 05:42 PM
Just be sure to carry two sources of extra dimensionality (bags of holding etc.) so you can put one inside the other in a final act of defiance. lol.

Jack_Simth
2010-10-08, 08:20 PM
Which version of the Tomb? You could always make a trapsmith / demolitionist build; something like...

Dwarf Druid-9
Feats:
Heighten Spell
Fiery Burst (Complete Mage)
Magic Sensitive (Complete Mage)
Summon Elemental (Complete Mage)

Make sure to prepare a Fire spell in a 5th level slot, a Divination spell in a 5th level slot, and Summon Nature's Ally IV (yes, even though you can spontaneously cast it, you still need to prepare it as a prepared caster to use the feat).

Make sure to pick up all of the elemental languages.

Then just spam both Summon Elemental (to trigger traps... from 230 feet away (double-move of an Air elemental, summoned at 30 feet)), Magic Sensitive (to locate magical traps), and Fiery Burst (burn the traps to ash).

Just make sure not to pick anything up, or manipulate anything, directly. Oh yes, and be sure to find a way to survive without air. And no, you don't actually need natural spell.

Necroticplague
2010-10-08, 08:31 PM
You can stop now. You are no longer killable. Barring Disintegrate spell. Pretty sure that isn't used that much in that module (it perfers just killing you and [Death] effects)

That reminds me of a question, what is the LA of the learnean template anyway?

Starbuck_II
2010-10-08, 08:52 PM
That reminds me of a question, what is the LA of the learnean template anyway?

Multiheaded = (+1 head, so 2 heads) +2 LA.
Lenearn adds +2 more LA.

So, I was wrong, you would be a Incarnate 1 not 3 (my mistake).

Jack_Simth
2010-10-08, 09:04 PM
Multiheaded = (+1 head, so 2 heads) +2 LA.
Lenearn adds +2 more LA.

So, I was wrong, you would be a Incarnate 1 not 3 (my mistake).
Warning: The template also includes racial hit dice.

Starbuck_II
2010-10-08, 09:22 PM
Right so:
2 Base HD + 2 Template HD = 4HD.
2+2=4 from Multi/L template.
2 Lumi LA.

Right that makes it no class levels. I forgot to include head HD.
My bad.

Lhurgyof
2010-10-08, 09:50 PM

Kinda takes the fun and purpose out of the tomb, don't it? :smallconfused:

Jack_Simth
2010-10-08, 09:55 PM
Kinda takes the fun and purpose out of the tomb, don't it? :smallconfused:
That implies there's one to begin with.

Oh yes, and just because you can't die-die doesn't mean you can't run across things you can't come back from....

Lhurgyof
2010-10-08, 09:57 PM
That implies there's one to begin with.

Oh yes, and just because you can't die-die doesn't mean you can't run across things you can't come back from....

Yeah, but there's only going to be like, 2 things that'll off him if he's playing the 3.5 version.