PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] help with a 20 lvl OP tank build

Blood_caller
2010-10-08, 02:59 AM
well I have been invited to join a campaign and must make a charekter, the thing is I have never played a 20 lvl charekter and neighter used that much optimation and usualy play the healer or utillity caster...

But the mostly need a Tank so im trying somthing else but the real problem is that all the players + the npc's and monsters are preaty OPede...

so without more I give you the creation rules...

-40 points buy for stats (7=-1 and 6=-2)
-any non evil (ok to be a race with the evil subtype if ones allignment just is non-evil)
-max 2 disadvanteges (somthing from UA I think)
-ECL 20
-standart starting monny for a lvl 20
-uses forgotten realms (but with planescape cosmotologi)

now I was adviced by the GM to skyrock my AC to get miss chance and general just go for nearly broken, to remember immunityes to crit, disendegrate and 4-5 more things i have forgotten...

My idea as off right now is..
Elan Egoist/Slayer who uses metamorfis on self+crystal
but dont think i can OP it myself or even if it can be OPedet anof for what they are expecting so any advice on this or other lvl 20 tank build is appresicated

Essentials

Race: Elan
Stats:
STR: 10(2p)
DEX: 10(2p)
CON: 10(2p)
INT: 23(16p)+5lvl
WIS: 18(16p)
CHA: 8(2p)-2racial
Class: Psion[Egoist] 8/ Slayer 10/ Warshaper 2
Feats:
1P
5P
Powers:
Gear:

Eloel
2010-10-08, 03:17 AM
If you want OP melee, try Lightning Maces + Aptitude Keen Rapiers. Or 1d2 crusader, but that's cheese.

Eldariel
2010-10-08, 03:43 AM
DMM: Persist (Cloistered (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#clericVariantCloistere dCleric)) Cleric 20 would be the easiest. You can scale it up or down as necessary, and just stack enough buffs to be just as strong as necessary. And being a Cleric, you're quite self-sufficient.

Blood_caller
2010-10-08, 03:49 AM
just to tell a litle about the group... both of the above builds are already in the group the lightning mace thing is the DPS and the cloistred cleric(off cource with the mystra extra cheecy)are the clearicilla... so looking for other builds not nessecary as cheasy but somthing that can carry its part

Eldariel
2010-10-08, 04:08 AM
just to tell a litle about the group... both of the above builds are already in the group the lightning mace thing is the DPS and the cloistred cleric(off cource with the mystra extra cheecy)are the clearicilla... so looking for other builds not nessecary as cheasy but somthing that can carry its part

...how exactly does the group resolve combat? Does it use a computer program or does the Lightning Mace player actually throw ~10000 dice per turn?

Anyways, using something like a Psion on that level would require lots of system mastery. How experienced are you with 3.5 in general or psionics in specific?

Blood_caller
2010-10-08, 05:03 AM
a dice roller is used for the maces...

im fairly much into all off the 3.5 the problem is I have mostly been the DM and never been much into the OP, dips for power and so...

Me love psions so yes i know the book also why it was my first idea, its the corner of the game i know upside down (or so i used to think until i saw the new group)

Edit: were also thinking of trying somthing from tome of battle(7 swords thingy) but it so long ago i have had a player go there that those rules are a little rusty

FelixG
2010-10-08, 05:07 AM
My recommendation:

A first level paladin with optimized Knowledge: Planes...you can figure the rest out :D

Eloel
2010-10-08, 05:15 AM
Truenamer. Complete with Item Familiar & custom item of +30ness. Or alternatively: a Wizard. Summon your pet Balors.

Blood_caller
2010-10-08, 05:31 AM
My recommendation:

A first level paladin with optimized Knowledge: Planes...you can figure the rest out :D

not realy and if its a joke im not getting it :smallredface:

Truenamer. Complete with Item Familiar & custom item of +30ness. Or alternatively: a Wizard. Summon your pet Balors. i have read tome of magic (ages ago) and don't wanna read up on a whole add on why im also dropping tome of battle

but were thinking of going pokomon handler(having a Pet/mount/summoned do the job) but then that woulden't be me being the tank just the handler

Cespenar
2010-10-08, 05:53 AM
Straight up Druid?

Amphetryon
2010-10-08, 06:21 AM
not realy and if its a joke im not getting it :smallredface:

"Pazuzu, Pazuzu, Paz****".......Third hint: He's the original reason to play a kobold.

Blood_caller
2010-10-08, 06:55 AM
am i understanding this right if is a build of pun-pun were he goes super nova cheasy as pala 1 becaus then its a build i havent seen... if its some lingiustic joke I must admite that english aint my natural language (I took it as a bonus Language :smallbiggrin:)

have editet 1 post to put details on my currend idea... still open for other ideas

Eloel
2010-10-08, 06:59 AM
am i understanding this right if is a build of pun-pun were he goes super nova cheasy as pala 1 becaus then its a build i havent seen... if its some lingiustic joke I must admite that english aint my natural language (I took it as a bonus Language :smallbiggrin:)
Try this (http://tinyurl.com/28l3nrt)...

aeauseth
2010-10-08, 04:59 PM
But they mostly need a Tank..

You stated you already had a DMM Cleric. A DMM Cleric with persisted Divine Power makes a pretty good stand in for a Fighter. So what does the party need a the Tank to do?

Some typical tank roles/styles:

Plug the hole and don't let anything thru.
Battlefield control (tripper/standstill)
Mess with casters (Mage Slayer)
Do lots of damage
HP sink
Archer
Taunter (goad/Defensive Rebuke)
Flank for rogue
Protect weak party members (similar to taunt + Shield Block / Iron Guard’s Glare)

I'm sure I missed a few, but it would be helpful to expand on your definition of a tank, specifically what role the party needs filled.

aeauseth
2010-10-08, 05:05 PM
I've always wanted to try building The Colossus of War (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/22080093/The_Colossus_of_War).

Keld Denar
2010-10-08, 05:36 PM
You'll want some form of spellcasting, simply because NOT having it will cause you to be left behind.

I'd suggest something like a Sorcadin or other gish build, or some kind of build involving Suel Arcanamach.

Sorcadin is:
Paladin2/Sorcerer4/Spellsword1/AbjurantChampion5/SacredExorcist8
generally on a Human or Gold Dwarf chassis

My favorite Suel Arcanamach build is:
Aeshkrau Illumian (Races of Destiny)
Barbarian1/Fighter2/Duskblade2/Warblade1/SuelArcanamach4/AbjurantChampion5/Spellsword1/DragonDisciple4

This gets you bonus spells based off your Str score, which you should pump as high as possible. AbjChamp's Martial Caster combined with Suel's Tenacious Spells and Illumian Krau sigil makes you virtually undispellable, a very strong quality to have at high levels. Lion Totem Barb gets you pounce, Duskblade gets you the skills and feat you need for Suel, Suel gets you the abilty to cast a ton of Transmutation, Abjuration, and Illusion buffs to help you avoid getting dead. Some real winners there are Fly, Greater Mighty Wallop, Greater Mirror Image, Greater Blink, Bite of the Werewolf, Shield, and as many other no-save and buff spells you can find. Dragon Disciple, while odd, works well here. You've already reached 10/10 SA casting, but DD gives you extra spell slots, meaning you can actually have more spells per day than a normal Suel Arcanamach. Its a good thing. DD also gives you some nice ability bonuses to Str and Con that stack with everything else. All for the price of 1 BAB.

GoodbyeSoberDay
2010-10-08, 06:37 PM
To be honest, the Sorcadin might not be optimized enough in a group with Slayer/Lightning Mace/Cheater of Mystra. I don't even think they really need a tank. I suggest something more drastic, like abusing Earth Spell for Shadow Miracles, or PaO to qualify for Beholder Mage.