PDA

View Full Version : spell/item bonuses to int & level up! help plx.

Raendyn
2010-10-08, 05:47 AM
Here 's the thing.

I 've got a player that claims he has read on an official dnd book, that if you have an item that gives you a bonus to INT score, and you keep wearing it during the whole lvl, you should get more skill points when you lvl up.

His point is that since this whole time he was much more bright than he would normally be, he had a wider variety of interests & so he traind on more skills that he would otherwise do.
He insists he read that but can not find the book right now.

So i deciced to save, him some time & save me my mental health...

Anyone got any info?

Thanks in advance mates! :smallwink:

kamikasei
2010-10-08, 05:51 AM
He insists he read that but can not find the book right now.
Sucks to be him, then. If he can't produce a source, the standard rule is as per the headband of intellect (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#headbandofIntellect):

This enhancement bonus does not earn the wearer extra skill points when a new level is attained; use the unenhanced Intelligence bonus to determine skill points.

It's plausible that he read something to the effect you describe in the FAQ or Sage column (there's precedent in using bonuses from items to qualify for e.g. feats, losing access to the feat temporarily if you lose the item), but those are suggestions and guidelines, nothing to which you're beholden. And of course, ultimately, it's up to you as the DM anyway.

WinWin
2010-10-08, 06:49 AM
I can confirm reading something to this effect on the Wizards website. Pretty sure it was Skip Williams' Sage coloumn, which makes it 3.0

Retroactive skill points and item bonus contributing to skills is a fairly common houserule, but it is not RAW.

Douglas
2010-10-08, 08:47 AM
Truly permanent bonuses, such as from a Tome of Clear Thoughts, do count towards skill points. Bonuses from a Headband of Intellect or Fox's Cunning explicitly do not affect skill points no matter how much you use them. Bonuses from other items and spells could potentially affect skill points because they typically don't address the issue, but it's up to the DM.

Tyndmyr
2010-10-08, 09:04 AM
Here 's the thing.

I 've got a player that claims he has read on an official dnd book, that if you have an item that gives you a bonus to INT score, and you keep wearing it during the whole lvl, you should get more skill points when you lvl up.

He is wrong.

Point out that if every temporary int change modified his skill points, he would have to recalaculate all his skills if he suffered intelligence damage. Chuckle fiendishly at this point, then say you're willing to play that way if he is.