PDA

View Full Version : The Temple of Marthull

Duke of URL
2010-10-08, 09:20 AM
The Salty Dog is the largest tavern in Sutthaven and, unsurprisingly, the closest to the docks. It’s a popular spot for sailors and pirates for drinking, womanizing and spending their hard-earned booty.

The lights and sounds of the tavern remind you of any one of a hundred different such pubs. The smoky room is loud with sailors looking for a drink, a game of dice or a warm body to hold. The bard playing in the back croaks out some old sailors’ tune you don’t recognize, several men and women throw daggers at targets painted on the walls and a few more cheer loudly at a table occasionally exchanging coins. Several grimy individuals sit at the bar, which is tended by a black haired human woman of some beauty. The worn floorboards creak and shift slightly under your weight as you move about the room; you can’t help but notice that they are already slick with spilt drink and other unsavory fluids.

Duke of URL
2010-10-09, 11:26 AM
You spot your contact at a table in the corner furthest away from the games. Given the general nature of the Salty Dog, there seems little need to be quiet and discreet, yet nevertheless you complete your business fairly quickly. You pass along the goods, and get the gold, and your contact leaves soon after, leaving you at the table with your drinks.

Two things strike you as just a little off in the tavern. One, you could swear for a moment that over at the bar, a drunk half-orc was watching your transaction, but he no longer seems interested in you at all. Perhaps it was just a trick of the light, or maybe he was looking at something else... maybe even your contact.

The other odd thing is that despite the fact your ship came in, the normal hub-hub associated with an arriving ship isn't present. Granted, The Pink Jellyfish is a lousy name for a ship, and it isn't an impressive-looking specimen, but it seems as if the locals are far more interested (or even concerned) over a previous arrival -- The Judith.

FyreByrd
2010-10-09, 02:03 PM
"Quiet in here tonight?" Carlin remarks to his companions. He shrugs, "Not that I mind I guess, better that we get our business finished before the drunks..." He smirks at his companions, to playfully let them know he means them, "...Wreck up the place!"

He gazes around the tavern, more for his eyes to do something than any other reason, "I think I could handle a nice quiet night tonight, after the last few weeks, I could use the rest."

Chambers
2010-10-09, 05:11 PM
Emra

Leaning back in his chair Emra stretches his arms and yawns, holding an arm out against the wall to keep from falling over. "I'm already glad we're back. That ship had the worst excuse for hardtack I've ever had to stomach. And that murky water they passed off as ale...ugh!" He shudders, learns forward and swallows the last bit from his tankard. He pushes around a few leftover scraps on his plate, then pushes it away. "Full. Couldn't eat another bite. Well, maybe one more." He grabs a crust of bread and chews on it.

"Don't look over..." He says in a low voice, half-garbled by the chewing, "...but that orc fellow was eyeing us earlier. Doesn't seem so interested now. Be wary." His eyes flick over to the half-orc for a brief moment and then he locks onto the barmaid. "Miss! I've had enough ale - could you bring some water please?"

Sense Motive on the half-orc fellow.

Sense Motive [roll0]

Samm
2010-10-09, 09:07 PM
Jorden

Jorden stares into his ale. And runs his finger around the rim of the tankard. When the contact leaves, he sighs, "Why couldn't they give us real food?". He looks around the room behind him, suspicious of the half-orc. "I swear he was watching us. I swear."

Jorden stretches his arms out, "Having a good lie down, to me, sounds like a great idea."

Duke of URL
2010-10-10, 06:27 AM
Careful observation of the half-Orc leads you to believe that he isn't nearly as drunk as he seems, and that he seems to be keeping an eye on just about everything that goes on in the tavern.

At the moment, he seems interested in the group wagering on their dagger-throwing ability.

Chambers
2010-10-10, 04:35 PM
Emra

Hmm. Not just us, then. Watching the crowd, perhaps waiting for something. Emra's head perks up a little as someone mentions the Judith. "Hey, hear that?" He says, his voice low. "Anyone have news of the Judith?"

Listen - to overhear whatever people are saying about the Judith.

Listen [roll0]

FyreByrd
2010-10-10, 06:08 PM
Carlin shrugs, "I've not heard of the Judith, but then ships are meant for others with better sea legs than me!" He sniffs loudly, "This place is getting a bit rural for me," he stands and stretches, "I may take some fresh air," He says the latter loudly, while slyly winking at his comrades, Then walking out towards the door, he takes a good look around the room. Before standing at the entrance, breathing in the sea air.

Rolls:

I'll do a spot check, for anything out of the ordinary, as I walk past, specifically trying to see if the Half-orc notices my leaving.

Spot:[roll0]

Samm
2010-10-10, 08:52 PM
Jorden

Jorden thinks to himself, slightly perplexed, "Acting drunk? He wants to watch without being watched. Why? I'll bet he's after something."

He then speaks out loud, "The Judith? Not much. I'm wondering whether I should go over to that half-orc and shake him up a bit, you know, to see where he stands. "

Duke of URL
2010-10-11, 08:03 AM
The barkeep comes over, as she was beckoned. "Water, eh?" she says with a hint of a smile, "are you sure? The beer is likely more fit to drink, as we don't get the freshest water down here at the docks. Unless you like salt and fish guts in it."

The half-orc doesn't seem to take any special interest in Carlin's departure. However, outside, Carlin spots a group of four men, two of whom are arguing fiercely; the argument is so loud that the end of it even reaches Emra and Jorden's ears inside the building.. One, a tall dark-skinned man wearing a rich red surcoat, holds up his hands in a peace-making sort of gesture. The other, a light skinned man sporting a black eye patch, seems particularly enraged. The man in the eye patch turns toward his compatriots and all three head down the main road, away from the Salty Dog.

The man in the red coat takes a few steps after them and yells. "Fine! Do what you want but you were warned!" He watches them go for a minute, then turns around and strides into the tavern.

FyreByrd
2010-10-12, 03:39 AM
Carlin watches the disagreement between the men, then turns to walk back into the inn, and sit down again. "Curiouser, and Curiouser?" he mutters to himself.

Samm
2010-10-13, 02:07 AM
Jorden

Jorden nods, "Yep. You don't happen to have any idea of what that fight was about right?"

FyreByrd
2010-10-13, 03:21 AM
Calin shrugs, "Rich noble, disagreeing with street thugs!" he laughs mirthlessly, "I should imagine he paid them to do a job, they took the money, and then didn't do the deed. Amatuers!" he sighs mournfully.

Duke of URL
2010-10-13, 06:02 AM
The man in the red surcoat looks around the tavern and then seems to recognize the half-orc at the bar. He goes over to the bar and talks to him, and the the half-orc nods in your general direction and also over at the corner where the dagger-throwing contest is occurring.

The man comes over to your table and introduces himself. "Gentlemen, my name is Malcolm, master of the Judith. Teagrh, over yonder at the bar rail, has indicated to me that you might be the very persons who can assist me with a task of information-gathering and whom might be open to an offer of gainful employment." You get the sense that Malcolm is trying to use 'fancy' speech in order to impress.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1227739/malcom.jpg
Malcolm the Quick

"There is an ancient, disused temple some 3 days journey hence," he continues. "I seek a team of skilled excursionists to journey to the shrine and investigate it for me. I would venture there myself, but I have certain obligations that require my presence at hand to my vessel. Does this prospect produce a measure of interest for you fine gentlemen?"

FyreByrd
2010-10-13, 06:18 PM
"Do these Obligations, include dealing with those other people that you were arguing with outside?" Carlin asks wryly.

Samm
2010-10-14, 01:46 AM
Jorden

Jorden looks up at the man, "Just cut to the chase please. What we do we need to do and how much are you willing to pay? Then we can talk."

Duke of URL
2010-10-14, 05:39 AM
At the mention of the argument, Malcolm's face seems to fall slightly. "They are members of my crew, and they are being... foolish," he says resignedly. "They wish to leave, but I fear the consequences will be dire."

He proceeds in a slightly more businesslike manner. "I have reason to believe that my crew is under a curse, and I seek a means to lift it. To this end, I would like you to reconnoiter a temple three days ride out of Sutthaven a few miles off the northwest road. The temple is likely to have a superfluity of water. I am specifically looking for any information relating to a curse or the name Rellistair. Any lucre you find therein that does not so relate, you may keep for yourselves. For this service I will pay you 500 gold pieces, half up front."

"My ship will departs in two weeks, so you will need to revert back to me within that time frame. I will meet you here or on the dock. Do not come aboard on my ship."

"Given the nature of the mission, it would be seemly to have one well versed in matters religious to assist in your researches. Are any of you so trained?"

Chambers
2010-10-14, 08:01 AM
Emra

Some damn rich fool thinks he can just talk fancy and throw money around to get others to do his dirty work for him. Emra scowls at Malcom and scrapes his chair back. "I've heard the real thing, so you can drop the court speech. So what you're basically saying is that you want us to go to a flooded temple, root around for someone or something related to a curse or the name Rellistar, and get it back to you before two weeks. Sounds easy enough."

Emra stands up, flexing and stretching, more so from a desire to get the kinks out than impress. "So it probably won't be. I don't mind putting myself in danger - it's what I know, how I get paid. But if I find out you're just throwing us to the wolves here...you might not want to be here when we get back." He glares at the shipmaster for a moment and then looks back at his companions. His face softens and he shakes his head. Damn! Great job Emra. Easy money walks up and you throw it away. At least give em a chance.

He grunts something incomprehensible and sits down again, picking at the scraps of food at his plate.

Samm
2010-10-15, 01:13 AM
Jorden

Jorden laughs, You want us to stuff about in a flooded temple, that you're probably scared of, for just 500 gold pieces? You're joking.

Jorden pauses, he enjoys danger, he enjoys adventure, "I'd do it. but for maybe a little more than 500 gold pieces."

FyreByrd
2010-10-15, 05:37 AM
Carlin smiles at the negotiations, flooded temples didn't sound great, and if they'd need a religious expert, then they may have to hire one which would cut into their own profit margin even more.

"I think my friend is right," he states slowly and calmly, "I think a little more recompensense is necessary."

Duke of URL
2010-10-15, 05:42 AM
"I am no coward, but I am not required to explain my actions to you. As for the assignment, I do not know that you will find anything of importance, so I am assuming a rather sizable risk myself by offering this fee."

"Still," he continues, "I do desire to know if aught can be found, but as I am unable to go myself and none of the local residents seem willing, you do have me at a disadvantage. I will raise the sum to 1,000 gold, but no more."

Samm
2010-10-15, 05:47 AM
Jorden

Jorden leans forward, a little suspicious. He says in a low tone, "Why don't any of the locals want to be part of this expedition? Is there something you're hiding from us?"

Sense Motive:[roll0]

Duke of URL
2010-10-15, 08:12 AM
"Honestly, most of them are ill-equipped to handle such a task. They are merchants and seafarers, not adventurers. Teargh," he waves vaguely toward the bar, but the half-orc has actually left and is over talking to some of the people gambling on the dagger-throwing, "over there, tells me that you fellows look more the part, and he has an outstanding reputation for accuracy in his evaluations."

As Malcolm speaks, one of the group (a human female) from the dagger-throwing starts walking your way. She is a half-orc, a handsome woman despite her orcish traits, with a silver symbol around her neck fashioned like a ship's wheel (Emra and Jorden recognize it as the symbol of Gilean, the Sailor, a local minor deity of sailors and other travelers). She turns back for a second to say something, which provokes hearty laughter that she joins in with, and then she comes over to the table.

"Aye, you must be Malcolm," she says. "The name's Daegola... Teargh says you wanted to talk to me?"

Malcolm replies, "yes. I am attempting the recruit these gentlemen for an expedition to the old temple up north," at this Daegola looks somewhat hesitant, "but Teargh believes that they are likely lacking the religious education to help make sense of what they find." He looks back at the three of you, "I assume Teargh is once again correct in his assessment?"

Chambers
2010-10-15, 02:32 PM
Emra

Standing up as Daegola walks over he smooths his hair and nods his head to her. "Evening, ma'am." He turns to Malcom. "Yah, we're not priests. I've got the sword, he's got the skill, and he's got....Carlin, what is it you do again?" He says grinning.

He holds out his hand to the half-orc. "I'll be honest, I'd feel a lot better about wading through a flooded temple with a priest of the sea watching my back. Be glad to have you with us, at full share." He glances back at Jorden and Carlin, one eyebrow raised. "Right fellas?"

FyreByrd
2010-10-16, 04:30 AM
Carlin smirks at Emra. "What do I do...well this I guess."

casts arcane mark on Emra's forehead...just for the giggles!

Carlin turns his attention to the newcomer, "A priest of the sea, may well be helpful, especially when I try to drown Emra's comedy backside!"

Samm
2010-10-16, 06:42 PM
Jorden

Jorden leans back and says in a snarky tone, "Yeah. Obviously. It'd mean we'd be investigating a flooded temple with someone who stands a chance of knowing what we're doing in there."

Tyndmyr
2010-10-18, 11:04 PM
Daegola grins. "You all seem like a fun lot. I'd be happy to accompany you to the temple."

Samm
2010-10-19, 12:13 AM
Jorden

Jorden sighs, "Well, it looks like we've got ourselves a team together. Where's the temple? And when should we start?"

Duke of URL
2010-10-19, 05:59 AM
Malcolm seems pleased that his offer has been accepted. "My ship will remain here for a fortnight. The information I have received says that the temple is some three day's march each way from here, which should give you ample time to journey there and back and still have time to explore the temple thoroughly. If you need a day or two to prepare before leaving, that should not cause an undue delay, but one never knows what you will find and what it will mean for your schedule."

"Travel by the road that leads northwest from Sutthaven. There will be a salt water stream with a small stone bridge -- leave the road and follow the stream westward to the coastline. There should be a small island not far off the coast where the temple is located. I have tried to sail to the island from the sea side, but currents and shoals make it impossible to approach from that direction."

"More than that I cannot tell you. The locals may have more information, but if so, they haven't told me," he adds, wryly. "As promised, the fee for your services is a thousand gold, and here is the up-front payment." He pulls out a pouch and counts out fifty pieces of platinum, tucking the now much emptier pouch back inside his tunic.

Chambers
2010-10-19, 12:45 PM
Emra

Rubbing at the mark on his head, he frowns at Carlin for a moment. "Oh right. Jokes. Funny. Now take it off." Shaking his head slightly his eyes widen a bit at the pile of platinum on the table. "Well...that should be useful. On an island, you said? I don't feel like dragging a boat across land for three days. I thought I heard of some token that transforms into a boat or somesuch. We should probably get one of those...unless you all have a better way to get to the island."

He leans back and yawns. "Three day march? How about we start tomorrow? I'm bushed, and all of us could use a good night's sleep before heading out."

Feather Token: Swan Boat [450 gp, lasts one day]

Samm
2010-10-19, 11:28 PM
Jorden

Jorden stares at the platinum on the table. "Right... Tomorrow sounds like a reasonable idea. There are four of us right? How are we going to divide that platinum on the table? Jorden shrugs, I'm not sure, but I'll bet the water level varies a lot in the temple. Tides and the like. Could be a problem for us. But I'll bet we've got bigger fish to fry."

FyreByrd
2010-10-20, 03:24 AM
Carlin wipes his mouth fastidiously, "Mmmm I've never been a fan of lots of water. Lets sleep on it, pick up anything we need in the morning and head out."

He snickers at Emra, "It'll fade by morning!"

Samm
2010-10-20, 03:35 AM
Jorden

Jorden chuckles, "Unless you're going to do it again or something." He finishes off the rest of his meal, and wipes his mouth.

Tyndmyr
2010-10-20, 05:24 PM
Daegola raises an eyebrow. "There's a swamp off that side of the road there. Heard it's a nasty piece of work. I don't suppose any of you know of any way around or over it...not that the temple is likely to be much better. At any rate, I'd advise crossing it in the daylight, and a raft or small boat might be worth considering, what with that much water involved. "

He paused for a moment, then continued, "At any rate, I suppose we can pick up any supplies we need in the morning before heading out. Might as well get off to a quick start."

Samm
2010-10-21, 12:34 AM
Jorden

Jorden shrugs, "Yeah. I guess that might make things take a bit longer, but we should be able to deal with it."

FyreByrd
2010-10-22, 06:01 AM
Carlin stands, "Right, Bed-time for me I think." He stretches a little then wanders upstairs to his room. He doesn't get to sleep straight away but lets his mind process the events of the day first.

Duke of URL
2010-10-22, 06:22 AM
Morning arrives, and any shopping for supplies happens quickly and efficiently. It's a nice day, weather-wise, with just enough cloud cover to keep the sun from bearing down, and a light sea-breeze blowing in.

The road to the northwest, and adventure, perhaps, beckons.

Chambers
2010-10-22, 03:15 PM
Emra

Standing outside the inn Emra shoulders his pack and adjust the straps, tower shield is slung across it within easy reach. He breathes in deep and stretches. "I'm going to miss that bed." He sniffs the air and smiles. "Oh well. The miles aren't going to walk themselves." He says. "Everybody ready?"

Samm
2010-10-22, 07:54 PM
Jorden

Jorden climbs out of bed. He wolfs down a quick breakfast and heads outside to meet with Emra, "Well it looks like it's time to get this show on the road. I'm ready when you are."

FyreByrd
2010-10-23, 03:24 AM
Carlin rises, slightly later than planned, but sorts his stuff out quickly and meets the others downstairs. "Lets Rock!" he says. Then looking at their expressions of disbelief that he actually said that out loud, "Sorry...I just...I...Sorry."

Samm
2010-10-23, 04:48 AM
Jorden

Jorden's jaw drops. He says in disbelief, "Why did you say that? Why?"

FyreByrd
2010-10-23, 04:52 AM
Carlin looks around seeking any possible way out, but can't see one, "I uhhhh... look lets just forget it shall we, it was a moment of madness, it won't happen again."

I appreciate that at the moment my style in this game is a little more jokey than it is usually, if anyone is having a problem with it just say, and Carlin will suddenly become more serious!

Tyndmyr
2010-10-24, 04:38 PM
Daegola ponders his words before deciding it's best to pretend nothing out of the ordinary happened. He spoke, saying "Well, if that's all settled, then perhaps we should be off? It's a long trek, and if our benefactor is only going to be here for a week, we'd best make haste to get there and back again so as not to delay him."

Nah, Im down with jokes, I enjoy a bit of goofing off.

Samm
2010-10-25, 12:36 AM
Jorden

Jorden, nods his head in agreement. "Let's go then" Jorden starts walking along the path, his backpack weighing him down somewhat.

FyreByrd
2010-10-25, 02:13 AM
Carlin takes the rear of the procession, trying to stay out of sight for a few hours after his embarresment.

Duke of URL
2010-10-25, 06:44 AM
The road is well maintained and free of difficulties. Late in the afternoon of your third day's march, you find the bridge and stream Malcolm had mentioned. Sure enough, the stream westward seems to be heading into a large swamp.

Chambers
2010-10-25, 03:35 PM
Emra

"Ah, here it is." Emra says as the looks at the swamp in the distance. "Seems like as good as time as any to put these on." Sitting down a nearby tree stump he takes out the muck boots and puts them.

He looks at everyone and raises an eyebrow. "Go ahead and laugh if you must. But when the swamp sucks off your boots and you get the rotting leg disease, don't come crying to me."

Tyndmyr
2010-10-26, 09:20 PM
Daegola has no problem taking point, unless someone else prefers to lead the way.

He glances at Emra, his eyes twinkling, and says "Rotting leg disease, eh? Yknow, I believe that's the very same ailment my young nephew said would surely befall him if he had to do his chores. I imagine it's quite dreadful. Likely kill us all."

Samm
2010-10-26, 11:57 PM
Jorden

Jorden waves his hand in disdain, "Whatever... we probably should keep moving." And with that, he moves off into the swamp.

FyreByrd
2010-10-27, 04:19 AM
Carlin, a little displeased at having to trudge through a swamp, follows slowly, muttering to himself all the time.

Duke of URL
2010-10-27, 08:27 PM
Not long after leaving the road the stream widens out. You find yourself in a salt marsh, with moss-covered mangrove trees growing out of knee-deep muddy water. You hear no birds as night falls, the moon providing enough light to make navigation somewhat possible.

The whole place reeks of carrion. With the stream gone, only the the distant sound of the sea offers some promise of an end to the mire.

Emra, with his muck boots, may be a bit more comfortable than the rest, but it's still slow going even for him, as the swamp makes each step seem like several.

Chambers
2010-10-27, 09:13 PM
Emra

"Auugh! This place is foul!" Emra says as he pushes a branch out of his way. He glances back at the rest of the group, half a grin on his face. "Still...least I'll be able to drag you all back to civilization once your legs have rotted off." He sniffs, then almost gags. "Gah. Explain to me again why we can't use the boat token here?"

Spot [roll0]
Initiative [roll1]
Knowledge: Dungeoneering (Untrained) [roll2]

Samm
2010-10-28, 12:53 AM
Jorden

Jorden, grimaces at every step he takes. It's very tiresome work, trudging through the swamp. But he's got better things to do than complain. "Well. It's night time, and we're in a swamp. I suppose we should keep a look out for things that might appear"

Spot: [roll0]
Listen: [roll1]

FyreByrd
2010-10-28, 03:28 AM
"And just think," Carlin mutters, "We've got a whole flooded temple to have fun in after this." He looks around, more out of something to do than out of any real desire, or expectation of seeing anything.

Spot:[roll0]
Listen:[roll1]
Init:[roll2]
Know(Dungeoneering):[roll3]

Duke of URL
2010-11-01, 07:02 AM
Through the trees, you catch a glimpse of something snakelike. Before you can react, it casts a spell and a blast of fire surrounds all four of you.

Fireball, [roll0], Reflex DC 16 for half.

The swamp is difficult terrain, so no running or charging. For you, at last.

Initiative order: Jorden, Emra, Daegola, Carlin, Enemy

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1227739/map.jpg
Colors roughly match your text colors. The black and yellow squares are trees (impassible).

Samm
2010-11-03, 01:42 AM
Jorden

Jorden trudges through the swamp, he hustles towards the snakelike beast as fast as he can, even in the difficult terrain. While he does this, he draws both his swords. "Damn swamp", he mutters to himself.

Jorden should have moved 4 squares diagonally, towards the beast.

FyreByrd
2010-11-03, 09:19 AM
"Be wary, comrades. That's a Spirit Naga, it is both a fearsome spellcaster, and comes equipped with poison." Carlin shouts as he moves forward purposefully, and gracefully weaving his hands around him speaks a command word to send two flaming rays towards the beast.

move: 3 squares south-east (if that puts me in range, if not, move me until I'm in range/have LoS)

Standard Action: Cast scorching ray(2 rays)
Concentration Check if necessary: [roll0]

Ray 1:
ranged touch attack: [roll1]
Damage [roll2]

Ray 2:
Ranged touch attack: [roll3]
Damage [roll4]

Chambers
2010-11-03, 01:42 PM
Emra

"I hope the temple at least smells better than this pl - Arggh!" Emra's words turn into a cry as the fire rolls over him. "What the hell was that?!" Unslinging his tower shield from his back he straps it on his left arm, trudging forward through the muck. He draws his longsword as he moves. "Draw it towards me!" He says, clanging the hilt of his longsword against the tower shield, making a lot of noise.

Move Action: Draw and equip Tower Shield.
Move Action: Move 15ft towards snake-thing, drawing longsword as part of move action.

HP: 50/77
AC: 28

Duke of URL
2010-11-09, 07:35 AM
Reacting quickly from the surprise, Jorden and Emra draw weapons and head toward the naga. Daeogla somehow misses the worst of the blast of fire but still roars with fury at his burns, moving swiftly and outpacing the others. Carlin finds a gap in the trees to aim through and returns fire with fire, scoring a pair of hits.

The naga screams in pain and moves northeast through the trees, casting another spell that makes it difficult to pinpoint its precise location.

Daegola's rage triggered on receiving damage, lasting 6 rounds (5 remaining).

DC 18 spellcraft check to identify the spell: displacement

Round 2 commences...

FyreByrd
2010-11-09, 08:51 AM
"Stupid Beast!" Carlin mumbles, as it moves, and then casts a spell, "Damn thing is attempting to confuse us!" he shouts to his comrades, as he moves north-east in an attempt to get a good line of sight on the beast, once more moving his hands and issuing a word of command, to fire a number of missiles at the beast.

move: north-east around 20ft to put me in range and LoS of the naga, if I'm not and I can be, please move me as appropriate.

Standard Action: Cast Magic Missile(4 missiles, all targeted at the naga))
Concentration Check if necessary: [roll0]

@DM
Not sure if you'll rule that Magic Missile strikes a displaced creature, so I've included a d100 roll for miss chance for each missile, using >50 = HIT. If you want as DM to roll that yourself - that's fine!

Missile 1: [roll1]
Miss Chance(>50=HIT): [roll2]

Missile 2: [roll3]
Miss Chance(>50=HIT): [roll4]

Missile 3: [roll5]
Miss Chance(>50=HIT): [roll6]

Missile 4: [roll7]
Miss Chance(>50=HIT): [roll8]

EDIT: Well if the DM wants to roll the Miss Chance himself he can....PLEASE!

Samm
2010-11-09, 11:36 PM
Jorden

Jorden mutters, "I don't know if I'll be able to catch up with this guy..." as he moves towards where he believes the creature to be.

2 move actions, 30ft towards the Naga.

Chambers
2010-11-11, 06:18 PM
Emra

"Damn! It's..." He pauses as he struggles through the muck. "Uhn. Some kind of...snake magic?" Holding his blade high and flat against the top of his shield, he waits for the snake to come to him.

Move action - move 15ft towards snake.
Standard action - readied action to attack (Hamstring attack) if the snake comes within his reach.

(rolling ahead of time - if the readied action isn't triggered then ignore)
Attack [roll0]
Damage [roll1]
If Crit (17-20), Confirm [roll2]
Add Damage [roll3]

Hamstring - Fort DC 15

Duke of URL
2010-11-12, 12:56 PM
As the others attempt to close in on the naga, Carlin lets fly a barrage of force missiles that elicits another scream from the beast. It tires to shift away from the faster approach and returns the favor with some magic missiles of its own.

NPCing Daegola again, taking a double move to try and reach the naga.

Carlin takes [roll0] damage from the magic missiles.

Samm
2010-11-12, 08:32 PM
Jorden

Jorden moves forward trudging through the swamp desperate to get to grips with his opponent. He's aware of it's large size, it's threatening presence, but he's undaunted. He knows without support he's going to have to be defensive. But at the moment instead of going straight for the kill, his goal is to tie the Naga up - to be a nuisance.

Jorden steps forward, and attempts to stab the Naga with his rapier. "It's probably not going to going to work, but it's worth a shot."

Move Action: Move up to the Naga diagonally.
Standard Action: Attack:
Damage: [roll1]

Note: I'm using 2 points of Combat Expertise, so my AC is now 26.

If Threatening a Critical, ie. 28-30:
Confirm: [roll2]
Damage (if confirmed) :[roll]1d6+

If for some reason, I get to use my Precise Strike ability ie. I'm flanking it, it's flatfooted, or denied it's Dex to AC:
Sacrificing two damage dice to perform Blinding Strike for 2 rounds.

Other two damage dice: [roll3]

FyreByrd
2010-11-13, 08:34 AM
Carlin screams in pain as the missiles impact on his defensless body. "Heeelllppp me..." he moans loudly. He just about manages to walk backwards a few steps, then move his hands and speak slowly, to cast a spell

Action:

Move Action: 3 squares South-West to take me away from combat
Casting Mirror Image: [roll0] images of me.
Concentration check if needed: [roll1]

ooc @ALL:
I am now on 4(four) HP, so if our healer (Whether DMPC'ed or not)could take care of that next round?! :)

Chambers
2010-11-17, 01:19 AM
Emra

Damndamndamndamn! Emra struggles through the muck, trying to get close to the monstrous snake. Carlin, fall back! Daegola, Carlin needs...Daegola? Aw great! Damn healer's frothing at the mouth!

Double move [15ft each], should bring me adjacent to the snake

Duke of URL
2010-11-17, 01:35 PM
Jorden's swipe misses, as Emra and Daegola close in, hemming the naga in, while Carlin backs off and casts an illusion to hide behind imaginary decoys of himself. The naga snaps a bite at Emra, but misses badly.

Chambers
2010-11-17, 04:21 PM
Emra

"Uhn!" Emra grunts as he dodges in the thick muck of the swamp. "There! Don't let it get away!" He shouts as he brings his sword down on the snake.

It's flanked, whee.

Full-Attack (threaten critical on 17-20)

Attack [roll0]
Damage [roll1]
Confirm If Crit [roll2]
Add Damage [roll3]

Attack [roll4]
Damage [roll5]
Confirm If Crit [roll6]
Add Damage [roll7]

FyreByrd
2010-11-18, 04:57 AM
Carlin seeing his companion's mighty strike, sinks to the floor, trying to keep his profile small enough that the Naga will avoid him

Duke of URL
2010-11-18, 07:15 AM
Not being fooled by the beast's illusions, Emra strikes true and deeply, causing the creature to collapse into the muck of the swamp. Daegola, eyes still a bit glassy, continues hacking at it until it is a bloody pulpy mass before coming to his senses and finally noticing Carlin's dire straits, and so he starts to channel healing energy.

Samm
2010-11-19, 01:38 AM
Jorden

Jorden inspects himself and the others, he's fine, but the others aren't. He's presently annoyed that the resident healer was more intent on bashing the Naga to a pulp than healing. "Well, I'm fine. Can't say the same about the others." He then turns to Daegola and gives him a disapproving glare.

Chambers
2010-11-20, 01:25 PM
Emra

Sticking his blade into the body of the snake up to it's hilt, Emra draws it out and grimaces. "There. Shouldn't be getting up again." He trudges to the nearest tree and leans against it, wincing as his clothes and armor moves against his burned skin. "Daegola...I could use some help here. Damn snake got me with his fire."

FyreByrd
2010-11-22, 05:18 AM
As Carlin feels the cool wash of healing pass through his body. He straightens, and his cocky attitude returns, "Well that was fun!" he states, with a smile and a nod to Daegola.

Samm
2010-11-23, 02:24 AM
Jorden

Jorden looks dissaprovingly at Carlin. "You nearly died. How can you say that?"

Chambers
2010-11-24, 12:25 AM
Emra

Keeping an eye out for anything else that might attack from the darkness, Emra grins and says, "If there isn't the threat of horrible death and dismemberment he doesn't feel like it was exciting enough." He winks at Daegola. "That's why we don't let him choose the missions." He scans the swamp again. "Now, how's about we get out of this muck and onto some dry land?"

Samm
2010-11-24, 01:25 AM
Jorden

Jorden nods his head, "Yes. Emra, that's why we do it democratically, I believe." He then points presumably in the right direction (according to the map if we have one...) and says, "Yeah, let's clear out."

FyreByrd
2010-11-24, 06:25 AM
Carlin smiles, "The wonder of sarcasm is that only the most intelligent find it amusing!"
He scratches his head, "Yes let us get to this temple."

Duke of URL
2010-11-24, 01:05 PM
Deciding that valor is the better part of discretion, you decide to soldier on toward your goal. Resuming your direction is simple -- even if you had lost your bearings during the fight, you can faintly hear the sounds of the ocean from where you are.

Picking your way among the concealed roots takes time, but as you go you see more and more rocks jutting out of the swamp. Eventually the mangroves give way to a large rocky promontory that shelters the marsh from the open sea. Scrambling onto the promontory, you spot a rocky island perhaps three-quarters of a mile offshore. The bright tile roof of some structure beckons from beyond the island’s rocky shore, but what truly catches your attention is the strip of sea before you. The waters churn in turbulent, white currents. Savage whirls and eddies conflict over which way they should flow.

This is no ordinary body of water, and the prospect of sailing across it in an open boat is not encouraging.

A brief glance at the waters around explain why this was the route suggested to you -- your current position is easily the closest point of approach. The disturbance extends at least triple the distance in other directions away from the island, if your eyes do not deceive you. That still doesn't make the prospect of the trip any more appealing.

Samm
2010-11-24, 11:53 PM
Jorden

Jorden looks seawards and notices that the currents are very strong at the moment. It's night time, and crossing a turbulent stretch of water doesn't seem like a great idea. He folds his arms, shakes his head and sighs, "I don't like the look of this. I really don't." He turns around to face his comrades. "Do you want to call it a night?"

Chambers
2010-11-26, 01:13 PM
Emra

"That....is a good idea." He shakes his head at the violent water. "They never tell you what you really need to know."

Sitting down and pulling off his muck boots he says, "So, standard watches?"

Samm
2010-11-27, 06:47 AM
Jorden

Jorden nods, "Well, we can't really do that. There's four of us. I say we break the nights into four, and we take watches for each of those quarters."

Duke of URL
2010-12-07, 07:18 AM
Eventually, a watch rotation is chosen, and the others manage to get some rest while Carlin takes the first shift. A rather uneventful few hours, with little to see by moonlight and the sound of the churning water making hearing anything difficult. Still, Carlin gets the impression that he's being watched, although nothing happens.

As dawn breaks, Carlin goes to sleep while Jorden takes over. With the daylight and Carlin's warnings, he does spot some figures circling in the air in the distance. It looks like two of them, and they appear to be coming toward the adventurers a bit, pausing as if they were observing, and wheeling back further into the distance.

When Emra takes his turn, he manages a slightly closer look and believes that the figures are a pair of harpies. Daegola doesn't spot anything else of use, but neither do the creatures approach during the final watch.

Everyone is fully rested, and has a chance to prepare themselves for the upcoming day.

Samm
2010-12-07, 06:36 PM
Jorden

Jorden arises from his slumber. He sits up and waits for the others wake. He's unsure of what he saw. Something was out there, definitely something, something circling them, something watching them. "I wonder if anyone else saw what I saw?"

FyreByrd
2010-12-08, 04:23 AM
Carlin rises slowly, and stretches, before spending a few moments in silent contemplation of the day. Once done, he stands, and potters about the camp to see if there's any breakfast around.

He comments aloud to the group, "I got the strangest feeling of being watched last night, but didn't see anything."

Spells refreshed

Duke of URL
2010-12-08, 10:53 AM
Apparently noticing the activity in the camp, the creatures start wheeling closer. As they approach, it is quite clear that they are indeed a pair of harpies. They get as close as the tree-line, and gesture toward you as if they wish to approach peacefully.

They are armed and armored, but their weapons are stowed for now.

Chambers
2010-12-08, 02:03 PM
Emra

Strapping on his armor while he chews on a piece of jerky, Emra nods his head to Carlin and swallows. "Saw some flying things early this morning. Kept their distance though..." He glances over and sees the harpys nearby. "...much like they're doing now."

He tightens the last strap and looks up at them, his hand on the hilt of his sheathed sword. "If you come to talk...we can talk."

Samm
2010-12-09, 12:58 AM
Jorden

Jorden shrugs. "I don't know. I don't know if we really can trust 'em" He then mutters under his breath, "Harpies, what could they want?"

FyreByrd
2010-12-09, 06:20 AM
"Nothing good!" Carlin mutters under his breath. "I think after last time, I'll take the rear." he says a little louder.

Duke of URL
2010-12-09, 12:19 PM
The larger of the two harpies approaches in the lead. She wears dragonhide leather with studding, carrying a longbow stowed across her back. The smaller follows behind; she wears a chain shirt with a mace hanging from her belt.

The leader closes to speaking range, though keeps a wary enough distance. She speaks in a broken, pidgin Common. "You here why? Goings to..." here she seems to struggle for a word, eventually giving up and pointing to the island. "Bad place. Hard gettings. You swim?" The last question is asked with a strong amount of incredulity.

Samm
2010-12-09, 05:20 PM
Jorden

Jorden looks to his comrades, to see their response to the harpies attempts to communicate. He shrugs, after a moment in thought he says, "Guys, I think they're trying to warn us. Who wants to do the talking?"

Chambers
2010-12-10, 12:22 AM
Emra

He shrugs at Jorden and turns to the harpies. "We've got a boat. Unless you know of a secret underground tunnel?"

FyreByrd
2010-12-10, 05:56 AM
Carlin stands forwards and speaks up, "We would appreciate knowing everything you know about yonder place."

Not sure on everyone else's skills but I've got +15 in diplomacy, so I'm happy to act as face if everyone's OK with that!

Diplomacy [roll0]

Duke of URL
2010-12-10, 07:25 AM
At the mention of a boat, the harpies look around as if they're expecting to see one. Not seeing any, they appear confused. "Water bad. Not safe. Place bad. No huntings. We no go. You go? We helps maybe. We helps if you payings, yes?"

Samm
2010-12-10, 09:00 PM
Jorden

Jorden, concerned about the financial aspect of the deal the harpies are proposing, decides to voice his concerns as succinctly and coherently as possible. "How much?"

Duke of URL
2010-12-11, 09:41 PM
"You has magics? We likes magics."

Samm
2010-12-13, 09:14 PM
Jorden

Jorden slightly aggravated by their lack of understanding grits his teeth and asks, "How Much Gold?"

Duke of URL
2010-12-14, 07:31 AM
"No likes gold. No eat gold. No use gold. Likes magics. Magics help with hunt, keep safe."

Samm
2010-12-14, 09:10 PM
Jorden

Jorden sighs, disappointed he speaks to the rest of the group, "They want magic, what do we want to offer?"

Chambers
2010-12-14, 09:15 PM
Emra

"Course. What would they do with gold out here?" Emra says and takes two potions out the belt strapped across his chest. "Here." He nods to the harpies and steps forward, places them on the ground and then steps back a few paces. "One will protect you from arrow attacks, the other will distort and blur your form for a time. Both good for the hunt."

Potion of Protection from Arrows and a point of Blur.

Duke of URL
2010-12-15, 08:23 AM
The harpies whisper among themselves for several seconds before the lead creature addresses you again. "Lasting magics... is better. You have?"

Chambers
2010-12-15, 09:53 AM
Emra

"None that I can give up." He shakes his head and thinks for a moment. "If you can get us across the waters safely, I'll bring you some magics back from the temple. Deal?"

Duke of URL
2010-12-15, 10:03 AM
The harpy starts to say something when the one behind places a claw on her shoulder. The two step back and have a heated, but whispered discussion. After a minute or so, they come back and the lead one says, "we agreeings. Take bottles now, carrying you over water. You want leavings island, you have payings ready," she says with heavy stress,"then you calls us over. We watching."

Samm
2010-12-17, 02:37 AM
Jorden

Jorden shrugs, he doesn't want to part with his loot, but at the same time, a lift from the Harpies over the stretch of water sounds enticing. Reluctantly, he agrees, reasoning that he can always get loot later and that the Harpies can't ask for too much.

"Whatever you say, I just don't want to have to paddle across that." Jorden mutters, pointing across the stretch of water.

Duke of URL
2010-12-22, 08:55 AM
Having reached an agreement, the harpies take the potions and the first two volunteers over the stormy water, then return for the second pair. "We do good, yes?" says the harpy spokesman. "Maybe you havings food for givings for good flying?"

Though the side of the island facing the coast is rocky, the rest is a single sandy beach with only a few copses of trees and beach grass. Partly sunken into the sand from neglect, the temple’s sea green and foam white tiled roof dominate the picturesque scene. Its green walls darken in hue as they descend, becoming nearly black before meeting the bright white sand. There is no movement on the island except a few sea birds hopping along the surf, pecking at the sand to find baby crabs to eat.

The water is calm at the edges of the island, but you can see the stormy, choppy waves extending out in all directions. Shoals and reefs out toward the seaward side explain why Malcolm would likely not dare to sail a ship in from that direction.

Samm
2010-12-22, 10:04 PM
Jorden

Jorden objects to the idea of giving the Harpies food, in effect paying them twice, but he doesn't want get on their bad side. On the beach, he whispers in Emra's ear. "Haven't we already paid them? I'm just saying."

Chambers
2011-01-14, 09:25 PM
Emra

"Yeah...but I'd like to keep them friendly." He whispers back to Jorden. Taking two packs of rations from his bag he puts them on the ground and says to the Harpies. "There you go."

Strapping on his tower shield, Emra checks the fittings while eyeing the temple. "How do you want to do this? You want to scout Jorden, or you want me to take point?"

Samm
2011-01-14, 10:25 PM
Jorden

Jorden, pauses in thought, speaking from past experience he says, "Well... I'm better at sneaking, and you're more alert. I probably should go first, but don't get too far away on me. "