PDA

View Full Version : Nasty things to do to your players

WarKitty
2010-10-08, 10:25 AM
Here's one of my favorites:

The players were meeting with a representative of the mage's guild. I had described him as a man in dark robes. Figuring there would be trouble, they very carefully set out all the concentration-disrupting effects they could...and promptly got stabbed by the assassin.

So what nasty tricks have you pulled on your players?

valadil
2010-10-08, 10:36 AM
I've posted it before, but this (http://gm.sagotsky.com/?p=75) is my crowning achievement as a game master. Long story short, I decided one of the PCs was schizophrenic and managed that in a way that he had no idea his reality was distorted. Nobody figured out what was going on until the very last session.

Il_Vec
2010-10-08, 10:40 AM
I don't remember pulling any nasty tricks, but by the title of the thread I remember a nasty thing that I did as a DM:
I'll spoiler this because some people might find it disgusting. As in dirty disgusting.

The players where searching something that was lost in a city's sewer. For me, it was only natural that somewhere there was a trap that locked the passage and tryied to drown them... In excrements.

Shenanigans
2010-10-08, 10:42 AM
I don't remember pulling any nasty tricks, but by the title of the thread I remember a nasty thing that I did as a DM:
I'll spoiler this because some people might find it disgusting. As in dirty disgusting.

The players where searching something that was lost in a city's sewer. For me, it was only natural that somewhere there was a trap that locked the passage and tryied to drown them... In excrements. Well it could be worse...it could have been the ever-feared Excremental.

DaMullet
2010-10-08, 10:54 AM
In a dungeon magically darkened and populated entirely by creatures who hunt without sight, I finally managed to make use of the Gelatinous Cube's "near-invisible if standing still" quality to make my blaster caster look very sheepish. A gelatinous cube was standing in the doorway, and a room full of juicy targets lay behind. He threw a fireball, which struck the cube; since the entire party was crowded near the doorway, and since he minmaxed his save DCs up the wazoo, the entire party learned what munchkin fire tastes like.

mangosta71
2010-10-08, 11:02 AM
I once put a vorpal scimitar in the hands of an NPC dervish. First attack roll was a nat 20 on the party cleric.

That whole campaign was filled with nastiness that I pulled on my players. I had them framed for an assassination, made them inadvertently cause a civil war, had bounty hunters chase them out of the country, they ran into a goblinoid army (that, again, set them fleeing for their lives)... Oh, and the BBEG was a half-white dragon mind flayer psion (telepath)/thrallherd. One of his thralls was a werebear monk - the other was the doppleganger assassin that framed them in the beginning.

FMArthur
2010-10-08, 12:40 PM
The frail old emperor, who always hid behind his powerful minions and appeared at all times to be the kind of villain who's just resourceful and manipulative rather than good in a fight, was actually a Beholder Mage in disguise the whole time. Well, he only had 4th-level Beholder Mage casting (in an Erudite/Cerebremancer build), but it was still easily one of the nastiest surprises I've pulled. It would have been a TPK if he hadn't decided he could still make use of them and instead just took them prisoner.

Pisha
2010-10-08, 01:52 PM
From the other side of the table, the worst thing a GM ever did to me…

Ok, here’s the set-up. We’d been struggling for months, in-game and out, to clear the evil influences out of this stupid city. We’d been beaten and burned and drowned. We’d been magically forced to turn on each other. We’d been killed, raised as undead, and killed again. We’d burned through so many Raise Deads, we’d be in debt to the local church for years – and when they stopped offering credit, we’d turned to the druids in the woods for Reincarnations (which turned out about as well as you’d expect.) We were tired. We were angry. And we were determined to save this city one way or another, come hell or high water.

When the army showed up, we thought the cavalry had arrived. Wrong. Their leader was a Lawful Jerk paladin, determined to eradicate evil at any cost, and he informed us they’d come to raze the city to the ground (killing everyone in it), because it was the only way to get rid of the evil inside it. We argued, of course, and won a reprieve: one week. We had one week to fix it ourselves, or they’d fix it their way.

And somehow… somehow we did it. We’d finally beat the underlings who had thwarted us so many times, and made our way to the main bad guys, the masterminds behind it all. With a day left to spare, we were at the final battle at last.

Ready? Ok. Scene opens…

The fighter was dead. The cleric was paralyzed. The sorcerer was wandering in the back room, enfeebled and insane and naked. (Look, don’t ask.) And the paladin – our paladin – had just had his brain ripped from his head and devoured by the mind flayer. Who was now coming for me.

So there I was, a squishy little elf rogue. No backup, no healing, no one to flank with, just me and a rapier and a mind flayer. As he closed in on me, I panicked and did the only thing I could think of – I pointed behind him and shouted “Look over there!” Yes, that’s right – when faced with a super-intelligent opponent with psychic abilities, I tried the oldest, most tired trick in the book.

So I rolled my Bluff check. And hit a nat 20.

And he looked.

With a cry of triumph, I sprang forward to deliver stabbity, sneak-attacky death. Several impressive damage rolls later, he was swaying on his feet, about to fall. (Read: 0 hit points exactly.) And just as I moved in for the well-earned and long-anticipated kill…

…his ogre mage ally, whom I’d thought was dead, ran up, grabbed them, and teleported them both away to safety. And lo, the city’s foundations trembled from my howls of rage and despair.

We never saw them again.

Two days later, when the army of Paladin McJerkyface was greeted by cheering crowds as “the heroes who saved the town,” it was just salt in the wound…

WarKitty
2010-10-08, 01:58 PM
From the other side of the table, the worst thing a GM ever did to me…

Ok, here’s the set-up. We’d been struggling for months, in-game and out, to clear the evil influences out of this stupid city. We’d been beaten and burned and drowned. We’d been magically forced to turn on each other. We’d been killed, raised as undead, and killed again. We’d burned through so many Raise Deads, we’d be in debt to the local church for years – and when they stopped offering credit, we’d turned to the druids in the woods for Reincarnations (which turned out about as well as you’d expect.) We were tired. We were angry. And we were determined to save this city one way or another, come hell or high water.

When the army showed up, we thought the cavalry had arrived. Wrong. Their leader was a Lawful Jerk paladin, determined to eradicate evil at any cost, and he informed us they’d come to raze the city to the ground (killing everyone in it), because it was the only way to get rid of the evil inside it. We argued, of course, and won a reprieve: one week. We had one week to fix it ourselves, or they’d fix it their way.

And somehow… somehow we did it. We’d finally beat the underlings who had thwarted us so many times, and made our way to the main bad guys, the masterminds behind it all. With a day left to spare, we were at the final battle at last.

Ready? Ok. Scene opens…

The fighter was dead. The cleric was paralyzed. The sorcerer was wandering in the back room, enfeebled and insane and naked. (Look, don’t ask.) And the paladin – our paladin – had just had his brain ripped from his head and devoured by the mind flayer. Who was now coming for me.

So there I was, a squishy little elf rogue. No backup, no healing, no one to flank with, just me and a rapier and a mind flayer. As he closed in on me, I panicked and did the only thing I could think of – I pointed behind him and shouted “Look over there!” Yes, that’s right – when faced with a super-intelligent opponent with psychic abilities, I tried the oldest, most tired trick in the book.

So I rolled my Bluff check. And hit a nat 20.

And he looked.

With a cry of triumph, I sprang forward to deliver stabbity, sneak-attacky death. Several impressive damage rolls later, he was swaying on his feet, about to fall. (Read: 0 hit points exactly.) And just as I moved in for the well-earned and long-anticipated kill…

…his ogre mage ally, whom I’d thought was dead, ran up, grabbed them, and teleported them both away to safety. And lo, the city’s foundations trembled from my howls of rage and despair.

We never saw them again.

Two days later, when the army of Paladin McJerkyface was greeted by cheering crowds as “the heroes who saved the town,” it was just salt in the wound…

That...just sounds mean.

Starbuck_II
2010-10-08, 02:00 PM
We never saw them again.

I love it. Really gripping.

Pisha
2010-10-08, 02:13 PM
That...just sounds mean.

Oh, absolutely. Just a crap thing to do. But then again, this is the campaign we're still telling stories about seven years later, and if I ever went back to NC or that GM came to Florida, I would pay money to play in one of his games again. So, y'know... there's that.

(Also, the second-worst thing that happened to me in that campaign was not his fault. The bribe of shrimp cocktail was offered and accepted, and accordingly the blow that could have left me invisible and dead instead just left me invisible and unconscious. So, y'know, he gave me a chance. Not that it mattered when the sorcerer (unknowingly) chose to target the fireball right on top of me...)

Logalmier
2010-10-08, 05:43 PM
Well there was the time I encased them in Jello...

Pisha
2010-10-08, 05:55 PM
Remember, kids, any Jello you find in a dungeon is not good for eating...

mabriss lethe
2010-10-08, 06:18 PM
The Assassin Double-tap is still one of my favorites.

The setup: The party (all evil) had just performed/botched an assassination on a wealthy noble. (that story, in and of itself is a bit of an epic fail on the players' parts.) They did it without sanction from the Assassin's Guild (the noble was paid up on his insurance) So the assassins weren't going to take that kind of insult lightly. The players got wind of the price on their heads after the assassins figured out who was to blame. So the pcs bolted. The assassins tracked them down a few sessions later.

The party gets jumped by what looked like a scry n' die attempt. The assassins (all with really nice gear) teleport in and jump the party. The party mows through them and takes their loot, all stuff that almost looked custom tailored to the needs of each individual player. They didn't even bother to check it out, they simply grabbed it all, put it on, and kept running.

A few sessions later, they've gotten used to all their new gear and toys. The assassins come back, this time a wizard accompanied by two hexblades and a spellthief. They sneak in under the cover of illusion and darkness, then spring the attack. The party gets hit hard, the dread necro is burning through his spells with little effect (courtesy of a globe of invulnerability coupled with an empowered touch of idiocy spell) The Cleric got hit with a feeblemind, The vampire rogue was getting outmaneuvered by the spellthief and the party tank was close to death.

They rallied, though, managing to kill two of the hexblades. That's when the wizard whispered three little words that still bring fear into the eyes of my players. "Pretty. Pink. Princess." Those three words were the triggers to all the cursed loot that they party had equipped without ever bothering to identify.

I have never seen so many swear words uttered in such a brief span of time. the boots of dancing completely disabled the dread necro along with bracers of helplessness (he got greedy), the -2 sword nerfed the tank, I don't remember what the cleric had, but it didn't matter since she was still a drooling idiot. The rogue saved the day, though. She'd gotten the helm of opposite alignment and made her save when it fired off. She managed to fight off the wizard (through luck mostly.) and they managed to escape.

Epilogue: The wizard came back the next session to "try to finish the job solo" and they killed him, but not before (using a custom spell) body hopped into the comic relief NPC. Ungh, the wighted Orc sailor. (who had also wighted one of the hexblades.) The campaign went on for months before Ungh found a chance to betray them.

Tharck
2010-10-08, 06:27 PM
Some simple evilness i've done is have a few adventures based around navigating a swamp (many miles wide) that constently pumped put Cloudkill and was full of undead. Last fight included some lich Warlocks and a Wizard who used Project Image and Walls of Dispel to good effect.

One of my more favorite things was an Artifact Cursed Ring which made a player insane by making him think he was a God. To do this I told all the PCs except the one who got the ring what was going on with their character (he did not know the ring would make him insane) and since we had to hold off gaming for a couple weeks due to the Holidays I ran a few sessions on the side with the PC that had the ring. During these sessions he learned he was the son of a God and ect. Long plot short, he did amazing things and the ring was his father's father who was a God and if he could figure out the puzzle of the ring he would become one as well.

When we did do the next gaming session I asked the PCs if they would mind putting on a side-show and *play along* to his craziness. Simply put, he would say all the stuff he found out and they would go on a quest to empower him and entirely agree to his babble. At the very end of the session one of the PCs had to convince him everything he thought about the ring was false and fake (this was a sudden thing at the end... going along with everything and then turning and saying "It's fake, take the ring off its fooling you." and only because they led him into an area with anti-magic.

Another was they were going up against a powerful demon trying to obtain demi-god status with a ritual. He had power over people's minds and illusions.

Basically I did 9 rounds of combat with only 1 PC at a time in the room. If the PC disbelieved it wasn't good enough, they had to let the illusion kill them without trying to do anything to save themselves. Thus if there was a wall of fire and they stood in it, I would explain to them they burned and took damage. If they didnt try healing, or moving, just disbelieving - they would snap out of the illusion/mind control and actually be able to fight the demon. If they went all 9 rounds without doing it, they were controlled by him for the fight and had to fight against the other PCs.

So round 3 John stated the spells and traps and **** was bull**** and he didnt believe any of it and stood still. He died to the illusion and thus snapped out of it and got to remain at the table for the rest of the other PC's rounds. When they came in I would explain their character died (and how) and it didnt matter if they remained since they died.

In the end from the 9 PCs I had 7 made it and 2 were turned and controlled. Was a fun fight.

TheEmerged
2010-10-08, 06:50 PM
System is HERO. Genre is superheroes. PC's are supervillains of the "bother authorities" class, not the world-conquering type.

One of the players had challenged me to create a superhero whose purpose was to prolong the battle instead of damaging the PC's. The end result was Annoying Man!

That howl of horror you just heard? From the players :smallbiggrin: I'm under threat of comical death if I even THINK of breaking him out again.

Let me put this in perspective. It is rare in HERO for a combat to go beyond 12-16 segments (players generally act every 2nd segement). This fight was closing in on segment 120 when we had to quit.

Essentially he was built primarily around misdirection, with redunant Image & Invisibility powers combine with Teleportation and Duplication. Add limited Desolidification, stir, and the chaos begins.

He disappeared, then appeared in another square! He can teleport!

Wait, my attack passed through him. Can he go desolid? Or is that an illusion?

Wait, he disappeared again, and three of him showed up. Hmm, those two are visible to sight and sound but my radar sense isn't detecting them... the third one must be the real one! Wait, my attack went right through him... and the second one just successfully hit me?

Wait, I'm detecting someone that isn't visible to sight or sound, THAT must be the real one... wait, the one my attack went through just succesfully attacked me.

Wait, he just disappeared again... and there are 4 of me on the battlefield. Obviously I haven't moved so... wait, what do you mean that attack just hit me!

And it got worse than that :smallredface:

DiscipleofBob
2010-10-08, 08:10 PM
My fiance is currently in the 4e game I'm running as a very frustrated (in more ways than one) noble rogue. The BBEG of the campaign a powerful red dragonborn (actually an ancient red dragon with shapeshifting and other abilities) whose main goal is to find some sealed primordials and release them. The campaign is basically a race to find said sealed primordials so either the BBEG can release them or the party can find a way to secure them.

There's a DMPC named Gordan who appears to be some sort of a fire sorcerer, hired by a lady friend of the party to be both a bodyguard to her and to be a liaison with the rest of the party. The rogue has taken a liking to Gordan (again, in more ways than one) and is considering a serious relationship with him. My fiance believes Gordan is a personal DMPC and a way for the two of us to hook up in game. I've been careful to hint this in any out-of-game talk without revealing anything specific.

What neither she nor the rest of the party knows:

Gordan is actually the BBEG in another shapeshifted form, his goal being to infiltrate the party and use their leads to his advantage. Gordan being an anagram of Dragon and all.

One day, there will be a doghouse in front of our apartment, and I will be in it, and it will be because I finally revealed this little surprise. And it will have all been worth it.

amaranth69
2010-10-08, 08:45 PM
Running them through the Temple of Elemental Evil in 2nd ed. Also I am using a critical hit chart which allows for severing limbs and the like.

DeathsHands
2010-10-09, 05:34 PM
Well, I had an interesting one a few sessions ago.

We were running the pre-made endeavour for Rogue Trader (first time GM, so I wanted to settle in with something I just had to spoon feed), and there's a particular section where the Explorers get attacked by Orks.

Thing is, one of them was an Explorator, who starts out with a Power Axe and Power Armour; he was pretty much untouchable by the Orks. I had three of them fire full auto at him and hit him six times for it to all not get through the armour or toughness bonus. So he charges into melee, and starts ripping them apart. To make it even better, I botched the rolls on half of the Orks and they jammed, so I had them charge him with choppas. Again, the damn Power Armour was tough.

So he swings at another one and happens to screw up his roll real bad; 98. I saw a good opportunity. Queue him getting his axe stuck in some rubble because he missed, and the Ork deciding that his axe would be a lot better than his choppa.

Long story short, he ended up in Crit 3 in one hit.

big teej
2010-10-10, 11:44 PM

if you haven't already, do you mind if I put this in my 1001 bits of adventuring advice? I plan on printing out said list and giving it to my players..

anyways,
the nastiest thing I have ever done as a DM....
probably haven't had it yet
BUT
if I had to pick
I would say it would was killing my buddy's paladin with an evil gnome and a ballista....

most evil thing a DM has done to me?
I finally played a rogue, a dwarf rogue, with a war axe (1d10+d6 sneak attack? yes please)
so our hook was to 'capture NOT kill' a local bandit gang... so my dwarf spent the entire encounter walking from tent to tent (and other incapacitated peoples) and sneak attacking them with a SAP. a SAP to render them unconcious...

eventually.... the watch arrived to mop up/arrest them/etc....

they began to butcher them all.

I nearly strangled the DM didn't respond very well to that. .........

Amiel
2010-10-10, 11:48 PM
Have the players venture into a pit liberally coated in honey; it doesn't have to a pit, a maze will do just as nicely.
Introduce rabid wasps and/or other insects.
Close the pit and introduce violently aggressive bears.

DragonOfUndeath
2010-10-11, 12:58 AM
Have the players venture into a pit liberally coated in honey; it doesn't have to a pit, a maze will do just as nicely.
Introduce rabid wasps and/or other insects.
Close the pit and introduce violently aggressive bears.

*tips hat* you win this thread

Amiel
2010-10-11, 01:22 AM
Bows :smallsmile:

Even better, prepare another pit.
Entice the players to enter said pit; the pit is full of diamonds, priceless artifact can be found within the pit, et al.
Said pit is a gigantic gelatinous cube-black pudding hybrid (actually the gelatinous cube-black pudding is the pit), that secretes an extra strength digestive enzyme.

Lunix Vandal
2010-10-11, 01:39 AM
I joined my current gaming group partway through a rather nasty storyline -- the PCs were infected by a (highly contagious) (homebrewed) disease called Florosis that permanently robbed them of a healing surge unless they passed a save after each extended rest they took. As a plot-armor-slash-railroading measure, the DM ruled that the disease's level was high enough as to guarantee instant death if we attempted Remove Affliction, and anyone killed by Florosis instantly polymorphed into the form of a massive rosebush in full bloom -- making Raise Dead impossible. We didn't get a shot at the (only) cure until fourteen levels later. Which involved killing the disease's creator. Who was, naturally, the same level as her godsforsaken disease. Also incidentally one of the four incarnations of the shattered personality of that campaign's equivalent of the Chained God.

We won, miraculously enough.

Two sessions later we had the pleasure of fighting another personality-shard. Who turned out to have a (slightly-lower-level) carbon-copy of Orcus' instant-death attack. His closing move (delivered two minutes before we were planning to adjourn for the night, no less) was to vaporize the party leader. We came back the next session to learn that my warlock (the only Ritual Caster in the group) had somehow botched the Raise Dead, and brought back our yuan-ti warlord as a gnome hybrid paladin-warlord. Angry words were said.

More angry words were said once the rest of the party found out that the warlord's player and the DM had been planning for this to happen several sessions in advance.

And then there's this year's campaign ... I've taken over as DM (mostly because half the group graduated last year and no one else wanted the job). I decided to start the year's campaign with Quest For the Tavern (http://store.schlockmercenary.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=B-QFT), reassuring my players that "No, unlike John, I'm not explicitly out to kill as many of you as possible. Yes, you can play classes that earned a reputation for worthlessness in 3.5, and not feel like I'm punishing you for it." Then I started building 4e versions of the module's NPCs, and may soon have to eat my words, particularly if the party stumbles onto one of the "nasty" random encounters arbitrary action times (they haven't yet). Did you know that, as written, a 5th-level NPC Barbarian with a d12 high-crit weapon can instagib (or at least drop from full to 0) at-level "squishy" PCs if he crits on a 3[W] power? It's tru-ue!

Eric Tolle
2010-10-11, 01:51 AM
Sleep with their girlfriends?

Ah, to be young again....

Dust
2010-10-11, 01:59 AM
Killer DM filled the sewers under the city with literally hundreds of Invisible Wights for later plot purposes, when we were more prepared to handle that sort of ridiculous challenge. Alas, by the second game session we needed a quick escape from the town's militia.

FelixG
2010-10-11, 05:27 AM

I can just picture a creature with swallow whole chasing down a G-cube

Also meanest things i have ever done to my players: Face Hugers...nuff said

kestrel404
2010-10-11, 11:34 AM
From a recent one-shot:
I had the PCs trying to recover a magical artifact from a heavily guarded fortress. Dimension Anchor was amongst the wards used on the fortress, preventing the party from teleporting in (or anywhere within a mile).

Their second to last encounter in that castle was a fight against a pair of mid-level NPCs. One was a ghost (the main baddy's cohort from undead leadership), and the other one was a swordsage specialized in Shadow Hand techniques. Which meant that both of them had the ability to effectively teleport around at will, since the Shadow Jaunt technique descendents aren't affected by Dimensional Anchor, and the ghost could still manifest and unmanifest within the bounds of the ward.

I almost TPKed the party when I had the ghost use Malevolence (effectively Soul Jar) to take over the party's Frenzied Berserker, initiate a frenzy, and then hop out to use her various lockdown techniques (yes, she was a lockdown build based ghost) to keep the druid from subduing the berserker with a spell. Meanwhile, the swordsage was staying hidden and teleporting around the party, pretending to be several invisible enemies simultaneously while not giving the berserker a target. And because the berserker was a natural weapons specialist (Feral Gorebrute Shifter with a couple of soulmelds to give him bite and tail attacks, for a total of Claw/Claw/Gore/Bite/Tail) he couldn't hit the ghost at all.

Which basically meant that the berserker had no targets to berserk against...except the party.

Reynard
2010-10-11, 12:01 PM
Made them pay for the pizza.

Dornath
2010-10-11, 12:47 PM
Worst thing our DM has ever done to us...

We're nearing the end of Shackled City. Spoilered now.

We had taken some scrolls from the Cagewrights that we had killed. One of these was a scroll of Raise Dead from a cleric of Nerull. We continue along our way, never once thinking that it might be booby trapped, or that a scroll prepared by an evil cleric would be any different than a Good cleric. A few weeks later, our Bard dies while in the process of fighting 12 barbarians. We may have been level 15, but DAMN. He had no chance. After we finished that fight we whip out the scroll to bring him back.

The scroll works, but with a twist.

Don't you love it when DM's decide to pull out Hero's of Horror?

Our bard is now Marked by Nerull, and has to perform a service for him. Whatever he asks, whenever he asks.

TroubleBrewing
2010-10-11, 01:03 PM
I regularly run Call of Cthulhu with inexperienced players. Is that mean enough?

But seriously. The phrase "Yes, I read the book. Why do you keep asking if I'm sure?" made me laugh so hard I had to leave the room.

Delwugor
2010-10-11, 01:17 PM
Adventure where the party was going through a cave system originally design by Bacob as a test for wizards to enter the highest levels. Specifically designed to challenge a wizard in all aspects of their strength and weakness.
The party gets through to the end where the "prize" was - an ancient burnt out staff of Bacobs, encased in a crystal cover on a pedestal. On the pedestal are 3 differently colored buttons and a sign "Choose wisely or face the consequences of your actions".
The party spends time investigating the buttons, the container, the pedestal, the whole room just like you could expect. Couldn't find a thing, so they decide to take some risks. A player comes up and pushes a button zap down to one hit point, others try with other nasties - nothing directly lethal though. They spend time healing up and doing more investigating, attempt to break the crystal and do another round of buttons with more random nastiness.
After almost 2 hours one player decides to be direct "I lift up the container." "It lifts up real easy and there is the staff". No one was happy with me in the least.

The final test was a trap for a smart wizard to out think himself and the party fell for it. Of course the "Choose wisely" part was really "Don't push any of the buttons because they're a trap".

lord pringle
2010-10-11, 01:33 PM
ether the empty dungeon in the woods with only 2 traps a magically angry beehive and a trap that made the party members allergic to bees

or Dr. Heimenscrobber the secret vampire in a low magic setting.

DragonOfUndeath
2010-10-12, 12:47 AM
ether the empty dungeon in the woods with only 2 traps a magically angry beehive and a trap that made the party members allergic to bees

or Dr. Heimenscrobber the secret vampire in a low magic setting.

vampire doctor just for the terrible name :smalltongue:

panaikhan
2010-10-12, 07:35 AM
The one thing I did that was mildly evil, was in a Rifts campaign.
The party were trying to track down the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse, before they met up and became something truly terrible...

On the way, they met up with a young lady claiming to be the Fifth 'Horseman', Kaos. In typical party fashion, they launch their attack.
The lady in question had Heroes powers - two of which were the ability to absorb and redirect Kinetic and Energy attacks.
Lasers? Energy. Railguns? Kinetic. Explosives? Kinetic, and Energy.

About the only thing that could actually do any damage, was Magic. Guess what the party was short on...

Psyx
2010-10-12, 07:52 AM
I once swapped the sugar and salt over, by the kettle. And I throw pencils and dice at them sometimes.

Oh... you mean the player characters?

It was pretty low when I killed off a character in a random encounter as he was on his way home to retire and marry his sweetheart.

Pisha
2010-10-12, 01:05 PM
if you haven't already, do you mind if I put this in my 1001 bits of adventuring advice? I plan on printing out said list and giving it to my players..

Sure, but I want a copy of the list :smallbiggrin:

That one's right up there with "Never pick up a duck in a dungeon!" (our group's shorthand, stolen from Munchkin, for "don't start donning the loot before we've had a chance to check it for traps and curses!" That poor monk...)