PDA

View Full Version : So how much noise does a G-cube make?

jpreem
2010-10-08, 11:36 AM
The thing that makes a gelatinous cube dangerous is that is extremely transparent and thus nearly invisible. So adventurers are in danger of walking into it.
Still what about sounds? If a cube stands still i guess there should be none.
But if it moves it should make some, no ranks in move silently for oozes :smallbiggrin:. Still how much should that be - as much as a listen check to "notice a guard approaching"? I think that an ooze oozing :smalltongue: should make a little less noise than footsteps.

ericgrau
2010-10-08, 11:42 AM
They're unintelligent so they don't get a move silently check. Instead it's either going to be easy to hear (DC 0 or no roll) or a flat DC (higher number), assuming it's moving at all.

Psyx
2010-10-08, 11:49 AM
I'm not sure that jelly makes much noise...

Eloel
2010-10-08, 11:52 AM
Does a jelly still make a sound if there's noone around to hear it?

Nanoblack
2010-10-08, 11:54 AM
Use your imagination then compare the result to the dc's listed in the PHB under listen. Should be accurate enough.

Violet Octopus
2010-10-08, 11:56 AM
Presumably it has a wet surface and makes good airtight seals, so as it moves over stuff, it sets up partial vacuums or compresses air which escapes. A kind of splortching, flatulent sound.

Thrud
2010-10-08, 12:02 PM
Maybe it makes a sound a bit like water dripping as the ooze hits the ground in front of it and is picked up off the ground behind it.

If not just water dripping, maybe also a sound like someone slapping a puddle of water with their hand. Something somewhat innocuous in a dungeon. That way once it has happened a few times, the party can maybe figure out the sound, and be on the guard for it.

The first couple of times it comes as a complete surprise, just because it doesn't sound anything like someone walking. That way you get around the problem of the DC checks for moving silently. The party probably hears it, they just don't know what it means.

Of course, if someone has some kind of appropriate skill for knowing about monsters, then they could of course roll THAT to know what the sound means.

Nanoblack
2010-10-08, 12:02 PM
Presumably it has a wet surface and makes good airtight seals, so as it moves over stuff, it sets up partial vacuums or compresses air which escapes. A kind of splortching, flatulent sound.

*shudders* I won't even begin to imagine what sort of horrifying cacophony an advanced cube would make.

Lysander
2010-10-08, 12:31 PM
I think a DC 10 listen check is appropriate. That's the difficulty of hearing "An unarmored person walking at a slow pace (15 ft./round) trying not to make any noise." 15ft/round is a cube's speed, and it's probably evolved to move quietly, so that seems perfect.

grarrrg
2010-10-08, 01:51 PM
Still what about sounds?

Step 1: Buy Jello
Step 2: Prepare Jello
Step 3: Place Jello on a plate
Step 4: Shake the plate and listen
Step 5: ????
Step 6: Profit

ericgrau
2010-10-08, 02:15 PM
Use your imagination then compare the result to the dc's listed in the PHB under listen. Should be accurate enough.

The transparent G-cube is crafted for stealth, so maybe it wouldn't splortch as much as normal, instead gliding along the floor. Even mages who like their dungeons clean don't like to hear splortching all day. So, just as a guess, how about whisper volume? DC 15. Also matches their spot DC, which seems fair. Don't forget the +1 per 10 feet and more through a wall or door.

As for what it sounds like in that case, I'd peg it as a kshchhh sound like jello sliding against stone or against a dinner plate.

Vonotar
2010-10-08, 02:20 PM
Make some jelly in a largish bowl, place some string inside, with a length outside the jelly. Allow to set, carefully remove from mould. Using your leash walk the jelly, listen carefully.

ericgrau
2010-10-08, 02:47 PM
You'll only pull the string out. Try tying the string to a spoon or butter knife left sideways inside the jello.

Vonotar
2010-10-08, 02:55 PM
Huh. That or use a ball of string, and just unwind it enough for your purposes. For best results prepare several and use them on varying surfaces such as you believe your G Cubes may be encountered on.

thompur
2010-10-08, 03:39 PM
Could a jelly or an ooze be awakened. If so, could you eventually get a jelly-mage? Or a G-Cube swordsage? hmmmmm I'll have to think on that....

Swooper
2010-10-08, 03:43 PM
Damn you, now I want jello. :smallfrown:

Starbuck_II
2010-10-08, 03:44 PM
Could a jelly or an ooze be awakened. If so, could you eventually get a jelly-mage? Or a G-Cube swordsage? hmmmmm I'll have to think on that....

No, but you can Fiendish/Celestial it.
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/eo/20060922a

Or use Sentry Ooze in Dungeonscape.

hamishspence
2010-10-08, 03:48 PM
There's also the Gelatinous template in Savage Species.

These are Int 1 and Aberrations rather than Oozes though.

subject42
2010-10-08, 03:58 PM
There is actually an "Awaken Ooze" spell somewhere. I'm away from my books, but it does what it says on the tin.

ericgrau
2010-10-08, 06:09 PM
No, but you can Fiendish/Celestial it.
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/eo/20060922a

Or use Sentry Ooze in Dungeonscape.

I like the fiendish G-Cube monk boosting its speed to 45 feet. Not to mention deflect arrows, stunning fist, improved trip and the many years of meditation and solemn training as it intentionally exposes itself to fire and cold to build up its tolerance.

Foryn Gilnith
2010-10-08, 07:24 PM
I'd suppose it's making untrained Move Silently checks, and (for the sake of simplicity) taking 10. The same thing is used to calculate the DC to hear "An unarmored person walking at a slow pace (15 ft./round) trying not to make any noise." So DC 10, -5 for Dexterity, most likely -5 for not slowing down, comes out to DC 0 to get a gelatinous cube schlorping around. Ericgrau suggested a similar DC earlier, though for different reasons.

Crossblade
2010-10-08, 08:46 PM
Why has nobody posted this yet?

The Mind Flayer's Interview (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_q3s4_Ku5rw&feature=player_embedded)

Gives you your answer right there.

Violet Octopus
2010-10-08, 10:12 PM
The transparent G-cube is crafted for stealth, so maybe it wouldn't splortch as much as normal, instead gliding along the floor. Even mages who like their dungeons clean don't like to hear splortching all day. So, just as a guess, how about whisper volume? DC 15. Also matches their spot DC, which seems fair. Don't forget the +1 per 10 feet and more through a wall or door.

As for what it sounds like in that case, I'd peg it as a kshchhh sound like jello sliding against stone or against a dinner plate.
Good argument. You've convinced me that they don't splortch. Black puddings on the other hand...

Darrin
2010-10-09, 11:32 AM
There is actually an "Awaken Ooze" spell somewhere. I'm away from my books, but it does what it says on the tin.

Dragon #304.

Kaww
2010-10-09, 11:39 AM
Step 1: Buy Jello
Step 2: Prepare Jello
Step 3: Place Jello on a plate
Step 4: Shake the plate and listen
Step 5: ????
Step 6: Profit

Step 7: Eat Jello, don't walk it... :smalltongue:
No, not even on a leash...

Dimers
2010-10-09, 11:34 PM
The thing that makes a gelatinous cube dangerous is that is extremely transparent and thus nearly invisible.

Yeah, they're transparent ... and unreflective, despite being made of a fluid ... and with an extremely low degree of refraction, not bending light as it strikes their surfaces, despite being a very different material from any surrounding air. Sheesh. "Invisibility" is such a huge pile of problems if you try to explain it in any way other than "it's magical".

I agree with other posters on the DC 15 (plus distance) Listen check.

ericgrau
2010-10-10, 12:00 AM
Transparent things are still hard to see. It is perhaps harder for the surface to be shiny than not, especially looking at it head on. Refraction doesn't really change anything. I mean the sword floating in the G-cube seems to be 1 foot closer than it is, or ditto for the wall of the hallway. Big deal. Maybe it would look slightly skewed if you're all the way on one side and looking at a sharp angle... and then during those few seconds of careful close up observation you get engulfed anyway.