PDA

View Full Version : Game system for Fairy Tales?

Benejeseret
2010-10-08, 12:26 PM
I need some suggested systems to run a Fairy Tale inspired pnp RPG.

Basics of the world I want is if you took Grim's Fairy Tales, the world from Overlord, and other dark tales and mixed them together. The over all feel is dark humour. I want them to have fun with it and they will either be playing children or Overlord-style minions.

But what system suites? Looking for quick and simple rules that allow a lot of creativity and flexibility, but I'm never comfortable with free-form games and want at least some structure (keeping some limits/balance)

Any suggestions?

More info of what I might want if possible:

Magic = for characters it is not possible inherently (no wizards etc) but can still be available through incantations or plot/quest related actions

Combat = Quick and flexible would be great. Called shots would be ideal. If they kneecap a zombie with a sledgehammer it should get a movement penalty.

XP = received for overcoming obstacles NOT just killing things. If they do kill something or have to/want to fine....but they don't have to and the focus will actually be not to.

Character Advancement = I would really like it if most of the advancement was skill based. Real power improvements would come about through items and equipment if possible. If they go from hitting things with a shovel to using a steampowered chainsaw I would like it to be an obvious power change, but when they run out of coal they are back to shovels (as an example)

Classes (?) = I don't really need the concept of classes at all. I would prefer if PC's are distinguished by personality/character traits, and if possible, character traits actually correspond to mechanical differences.

Does any system you know of model these sorts of things well?

true_shinken
2010-10-08, 12:35 PM
Mutants & Masterminds is good.
If you can read portuguese, check 3D&T.

Ravens_cry
2010-10-08, 01:03 PM
There is actually a SPECIFIC role playing game for this (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grimm_%28role-playing_game%29), though I have never played it so I don't know how good it is.

true_shinken
2010-10-08, 01:15 PM
Also, both Changeling: The Dreamining and Chengeling: the Lost might work.

J.Gellert
2010-10-08, 01:28 PM
Gah, no, Changeling is... not for that.

I don't see why D&D 3,5 can't do it, but you're going to have to do a lot of homebrewing, of course. So in that aspect Mutants & Masterminds is probably superior, because you can avoid making new/generic races/classe, monsters, and magic, and just stat anything freely.

M&M is superior in every other way, too, but I'm not advertising it any more unless they pay me to do it.

jmbrown
2010-10-08, 01:28 PM
As a toolkit, check out West End Games' D6 system which the basic books are now OGC and free to download.

Savage Worlds is about $5-10 and was designed as a skill based, point buy, fast paced role playing system although some people dislike the die-based value of skills.

FUDGE is another (free) toolkit and with the free FATE addition you can do away with traditional ability scores and instead use aspects to define characters and actions. For example, one of Rapunzel's aspects would be "Long Hair" which she can use in game. The GM can challenge these aspects by saying "Your hair gets caught in a trap, etc. etc." so a player's strengths also become their weaknesses. FUDGE and FATE, like with all toolkits, require a great deal of interaction between player and GM so understand that boring players or inexperienced GMs will ruin it.

true_shinken
2010-10-08, 01:29 PM
Gah, no, Changeling is... not for that.

I don't see why D&D 3,5 can't do it, but you're going to have to do a lot of homebrewing, of course.
So, basically, you can homebrew in D&D, but can't do it in Changeling? I'm confused.

Diarmuid
2010-10-08, 02:51 PM
GURPS by it's name is Generic enough that it can really be applied to any setting.

Nanoblack
2010-10-08, 02:55 PM
There is actually a SPECIFIC role playing game for this (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grimm_%28role-playing_game%29), though I have never played it so I don't know how good it is.

I second the vote for this one. It seems like exactly what you're looking for, and I can attest to how much fun it is. It's based off of 3.0 and has all manner of unique abilities as well as some pretty awesome mechanics for using your imagination to alter the world (literally).