PDA

View Full Version : Yet another Pokemon d20 Project; don't hurt me.

drew2u
2010-10-08, 02:35 PM
I'll try to give the basics and sample pokemon & attacks for someone to try out. I'm also going to assume that whoever is reading this has already grasped some of the basic concepts of pokemon (such as type-effectiveness, STAB, natures, etc)
I'd eventually like to get a website up to put all the info I've written so far.

Description
This isn't "Pokemon for DnD". It uses the d20 system as a base (namely Pathfinder) and adjusts from there to suit the stats from Pokemon.

How to Play
Each player character essentially commands a team of up to 6 creatures to fight for them. Whereas PCs do have their own stats in instances of being attacked by a pokemon, they usually do no engage in battle. (Trainer stats will be covered elsewhere. For now assume the trainer is safe from effects of battles).
Technically Pokemon battles do not end in death (0 HP pokemon are K.O.ed and recalled), but one can play the death clause at -10HP with DMs approval.

Stats
The stats of a pokemon differ slightly from a human's stats. Instead of Strength, Dex, Con, Int, Wis, and Cha; a pokemon has Attack (Atk), Speed (Spe), Hit Point (HP), Defense (Def), Special Attack (SpA), and Special Defense (Spd).
Each species of pokemon starts out with the same stat distribution. This changes when a pokemon evolves or when the player allocates a stat-point every 4 levels. (Evs exist, but it'll be covered elsewhere)
Example
A bulbasaur starts out with the following stats: HP 11, Atk 12, Def 12, SpA 16, SpD 16, Spe 11.
When it is able to evolve at lv. 6, its stats adjust as follows: HP +4, Atk +3, Def +3, SpA +4, SpD +4, Spe +4.
Finally when it evolves to Venusaur at lv. 9, its stats adjust accordingly: HP +5, Atk +5, Def +5, SpA +5, SpD +5, Spe +5.
The final venusaur would have a total stat amount of:
HP 20, Atk 20, Def 20, SpA 25, SpD 25, Spe 20
By level 9, the venusaur would have 2 additional stat points (one from level 4 and another from level 8) to allocate wherever the player wants.

For every +5 bonus a pokemon has in its Spe stat, it gains an additional +5ft. to its movement.
Pokemon, as they level up, gain both a base attack bonus as well as a deflection bonus. The attack bonus is applied to both Physical and Special attacks and the deflection bonus is applied to both Defense and Special Defense against attacks. (Since pokemon do not wear armor pending DM-Discretion, most attacks had pretty much hit and it was whoever hit first tended to win)
Pokemon also gain Damage Reduction (DR) per Physical or Special Attack based on their Atk or SpA modifier. This can only reduce damage down to 1 point. (This was used because attacks were dealing too much damage in our initial playtest. I can nerf attacks but it kind of waters down the epicness of some attacks).
Pokemon still gain a permanent +1 bonus to any stat every 4 levels as well as a feat every 3 levels (plus one at first level)

Moves
At the beginning of each day, a trainer can choose 1 to 4 moves from the list of moves a pokemon may know for it to have for that day. If no moves are chosen, the pokemon has the same moves it had the previous day.
A Pokemon uses moves by subtracting the amount of Power Points (PP) the move requires from its Power Point Pool. A Special-type move uses the pokemon's SpA stat, a Physical-type move uses the pokemon's Atk stat. Status moves are generally percentile rolls if they affect a foe.
A Pokemon's Accuracy is always set at 0 at the beginning of battle and only changes when special accuracy-affecting moves are used to alter it in stages.
Moves have their own Accuracy which are usually not affected except under special conditions. Usually the more powerful of a move, the harder it is to aim or control it to a useful effect.
Range
All moves have a range in which they can be used without incurring an attack of opportunity or attack penalty. Those are as follows:
SELF Only affects the user
centered on the user to a 10ft. diameter + 5/level (max 110 ft)
[Area] centered on the user to a 20ft. diameter + 50ft./5 levels (max 220 ft.)
[Ally] centered on the user. Ally's partners must be within 30 feet of the user when move is activated to gain the benefit, but can move freely after the effect has taken hold (subjected to the duration of the power).
Melee within Pokemon's reach
Close: 10 ft. + 5ft/2 level (max of 60 ft.)
Medium: 25 ft. + 5/level (max of 125 ft.)
Long: 100 ft. + 10/level (max of 300 ft.)
ALL POKEMON IN BATTLE:
Self. Area-effecting. 20ft. diameter + 50ft./5 levels (max 220 ft.)
Both Opponents and Partner:
Self.
Burst. 10ft. diameter + 5/level (max 110 ft)
Both Opponents: Range (C/M/L). For every opponent beyond one, divide damage equally, as long as they are within [30 feet] of each other.
Either Opponent: Odd/Even.
Both of User's Pokemon: Ally's partners must be within 30 feet of the user when move is activated to gain the benefit, but can move freely after the effect has taken hold (subjected to the duration of the power).

DMs Note: Moves may have out-of-battle effects, but it's under DM's discretion. When used out-of-battle, moves do not use up PP. But it is the DM's decision when a situation becomes a battle (and thus start deducting PP from moves).

Abilities
All pokemon also have an ability that can grant them in-battle effects, out of battle effects, or both.

Natures
A Pokemon's nature affects its base stats by giving a +1 boost to one stat and a -1 penalty to a different stat. Some natures do not give any boost or penalty and are said to be neutral.

Battle Calculation:
HP: 1d8+HP mod
DR: Def or Spd modifier
Power Points: 12 every 2 levels

Initiative: 1d20 +Speed mod, +Stage, +Misc

Physical Attacking: 1d20 +Base, +Atk mod, +Move Accuracy, +Pokemon Accuracy, +Stage, +Misc
Physical Defending: 10 +Def mod, +Size, +Evasion, +Misc
Physical Damage: Dice Amount +Atk mod, +Stage, -DR

Special Attacking: 1d20 +Base, +SpA mod, +Move Accuracy, +Pokemon Accuracy, +Stage, +Misc
Special Defending: 10 +SpD mod, +Size, +Evasion, +Stage, +Misc
Special Damage: Dice Amount +SpA mod, +Stage, -DR

[B]Stages: Some attacks increase or decrease a pokemon's stat. This is an amount of +/- 2 points per stage to a maximum of 6 Stages (or +/- 12 points). These reset upon switching from battle or the battle ends.
Increase to attack from stages increases both attack chance and damage.
Decrease to attack from stages decreases damage amount by number of points.
Increase to defense from stages increases both damage avoidance damage reduction.
Decrease to defense from stages increases damage amount by number of points.
Increase to accuracy increases attack chance
Increase to evasion increases damage avoidance.
Increase to Speed increases field movement by 5ft/level as well as initiative.
Decrease to Speed decreases initiative.

NOTE: Due to the wild fluctuations of the base stat scores due to the prevalence of stage-effecting moves, Moves had to be nerfed in power and DR was given based on level just like BaB. DR based on fur, hide, shell, etc. is not taken into consideration; that'd be "Pokemon for DnD". ;)

SAMPLE POKEMON
Blastoise Lv.10
http://archives.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/thumb/0/02/009Blastoise.png/160px-009Blastoise.png
Water-Type
Large-sized, 5’3”, 188.5 lbs
Space/Reach: [??]
PP: 60
HP: 10d8+40 (80 HP)
Nature: [??]
Stats: HP 19+4 Atk 20+5 Def 25+7 SpA 21+5 SpD 26+8 Spe 19+4
Initiative: +4 (+4 Spe)
Speed: 30ft (base 30)
Physical Attack: 10 (+7 base, -1 size, +5 Atk)
Physical Defense: 18 (-1 size, +7 Def, +2 Deflect)
Physical DR 7
Special Attack: 10 (+7 base, -1 size, +5 SpA)
Special Defense: 19 (-1 size, +8 SpD, +2 Deflect)
Special DR 8
Ability: Torrent - When a water-type move is used by a pokemon with this ability and its HP is at or below 1/3rd, the move will do 50% more damage (after weakness and resistance).
Held Item: -

Common Attacks:
Name | Range | Type | Category | Damage | Accuracy | PP | Effect
Bite | Melee | Dark | Physical | 4d4 | 0 | 3 | 30% chance to flinch a slower foe (lose its attack action on its next turn)
Withdraw | Self | Normal | Status | - | - | 1 | User's Def raises by one stage.
Water Pulse | Close | water | Special| 4d4 | 0 | 3 | Chance to confuse the foe 20% (20% chance to attack self)
Aqua Tail | Melee | water | Physical | 1d6/2lvs max 4d6 | -2 | 5 | -

Special: Allocate 2 additional points towards any stat or combination of stats. Choose 4 additional feats. Choose an item to be held. Choose a nature.

Charizard Lv. 10
http://archives.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/thumb/7/7e/006Charizard.png/220px-006Charizard.png
Fire Flying -Type
Large-sized, 5’7”, 199.5 lbs
Space/Reach: [??]
PP 60
HP 10d8+50 (90 HP)
Stats: HP 19+4 Atk 21+5 Def 19+4 SpA 17+3 SpD 21+5 Spe 25+7
Initiative: +7 (+7 Spe)
Speed: 35 ft (plus flying speed - based off of Pathfinder's system)
Physical Attack: 11 (+7 Base, -1 size, +5 Atk)
Physical Defense: 15 (+2 Deflect, -1 Size, +4 Def)
Physical DR: 4
Special Attack: 9 (+7 Base, -1 size, +3 SpA)
Special Defense: 16 (+2 Deflect, -1 Size, +5 SpD)
Special DR: 5
Ability: Blaze - When a Fire-type move is used by a pokemon with this ability and its HP is at or below 1/3rd, the move will do 50% more damage (after weakness and resistance).

Common Attacks:
Scary Face | Medium | Normal | Status | — | -2 | 2 | The user's Spe drops by two stages.
Fire Fang | Melee | Fire | Physical | 1d6+1/level (max 5d6+5) | -1 | 4 | 30% chance to flinch a slower foe. 30% chance to burn the foe (damage is halved from a burned pokemon's attacks. It loses 1/16th of its total amount of HP per round [minimum 1 point]).
Slash | Melee | Normal | Physical | 1d6+1/level (max 3d6+3), 17-20 crit | 0 | 4 | -
Wing Attack | Melee | Flying | Physical | 4d4 | 0 | 3 | -
Description: -

Special: Allocate 2 additional points towards any stat or combination of stats. Choose 4 additional feats. Choose an item to be held. Choose a nature.

Raichu Lv.10
http://archives.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/thumb/8/88/026Raichu.png/190px-026Raichu.png
Electric-Type
Small-sized, 2’07”, 66.1 lbs
HP 10d8+20 (60 HP)
PP 60
Stats: HP 15+2 Atk 22+6 Def 13+1 SpA 22+6 SpD 20+5 Spe 25+7
Initiative: +7 (+7 Spe)
Speed: 35 ft
Physical Attack: 14 (+7 Base, +1 size, +6 Atk)
Physical Defense: 14 (+2 Deflect, +1 size, +1 Def)
Physical DR: 1
Special Attack: 14 (+7 Base, +1 size, +6 SpA)
Special Defense: 18 (+2 Deflect, +1 size, +5 SpD)
Special DR: 5
Ability: Static - If a foe lands a hit from a Physical-type move. There is a 30% chance the foe may become paralyzed (Speed is halved and there is a 25% chance of not being able to attack on its turn)

Common Attacks:
Slam | Melee | Normal | Physical | 1d4/lvl (max 10d4) | -5 | 4 | 10% chance to paralyze the foe.
Thunderbolt | Medium | Electric | Special | 1d6/2 lv l (max 5d6) | 0 | 5 | 10% chance to paralyze the foe.
Double Team | Self | Normal | Status | - | - | 1 | The user's Evasion is increased by 1 stage.
Agility | Self | Psychic | Status | - | - | 2 | The user's Spe is increased by 2 stages.

Venusaur Lv.10
http://archives.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/thumb/a/ae/003Venusaur.png/220px-003Venusaur.png
Grass, Poison -Type
Large-sized, 6’07”, 220.5 lbs
HP 9d8+45 (85 HP)
PP 60
Stats: HP 20+5 Atk 20+5 Def 20+5 SpA 25+7 SpD 25+7 Spe 20+5
Initiative: +5 (+5 Spe)
Speed: 35 ft
Physical Attack: 10 (+6 Base, -1 size, +5 Atk)
Physical Defense: 16 (+2 Deflect, -1 size, +5 Def)
Physical DR: 5
Physical Attack: 12 (+6 Base, -1 size, +7 SpA)
Physical Defense: 18 (+2 Deflect, -1 size, +7 SpD)
Physical DR: 7
Ability: Overgrow - When a Grass-type move is used by a pokemon with this ability and its HP is at or below 1/3rd, the move will do 50% more damage (after weakness and resistance).

Common Attacks:
Sweet Scent | Both Opponents, Medium | Normal | Status | — | 0 | 1 | Any foe in the affected area has its speed lowered by 1 stage.
Growth | Self | Normal | Status | — |— | 1 | The user's SpA increases by 1 stage.
Double-Edge | Melee | Normal | Physical | 1d6/2 lvl (max 5d6) | 0 | 7 | The user receives recoil damage equal to 1/4 dealt to the foe.
Petal Dance | Medium | Grass | Special | 1d6/2 lvs (max 4d6) for 1d2+1 turns | 0 | 5 | If this move misses, the duration ends. The user becomes confused after the duration ends or the move misses. The user cannot use any other attack until the duration ends or the move misses. The user cannot be switched out until the duration of this move ends.

I'm sure I'm forgetting to explain some things for battling basics. Feel free to ask me to clarify anything! :)

Morph Bark
2010-10-08, 06:44 PM
So you plan on statting out each and every Pokémon individually?

That might be a bit hard to do...

drew2u
2010-10-08, 08:28 PM
So you plan on statting out each and every Pokémon individually?

That might be a bit hard to do...

Already did, actually. It really wasn't that hard to do to be honest. I've already statted through the current 5th gen.

The-Mage-King
2010-10-08, 08:34 PM
Already did, actually. It really wasn't that hard to do to be honest. I've already statted through the current 5th gen.

You are now my hero.

EDIT: Wait... how do you calculate the move's damage in dice? Either I missed it, or... Well, it isn't up there...

firemagehao
2010-10-08, 10:05 PM
But you can't have a Lv. 10 Blastoise, Charizard, or Venusaur.

Or is the system of evolution different?

drew2u
2010-10-08, 10:40 PM
EDIT: Wait... how do you calculate the move's damage in dice? Either I missed it, or... Well, it isn't up there...
I did some calculations to get the numbers into dice-equivalencies; then I playtested, re-calculated, etc.

I would like to get a site going where I could put up all the info (such as the Pokedex, etc) for people to read, similar to the d20srd would be fine. As it is, I have a pdf file that's 551 pages XD

But you can't have a Lv. 10 Blastoise, Charizard, or Venusaur.

Or is the system of evolution different?

Sorry, I forgot to mention that as part of the system revamp. It's based on a 20-level progression. It doesn't get into Epic because one can still have a regular pokemon at higher levels than legendary encounters (which is what Epic tends to be about).
You could probably equate a level 10 tabletop pokemon to be a level 50 video game pokemon; or a rough equivalent.
Video game levels: 1-100
Tabletop RPG: 1-20

I then futzed with the levels of evolution until it felt right.

Knaight
2010-10-10, 12:17 AM
So you did them all. Is there any way to gain access to the .pdf file? I can PM my email or some such, and will read through it and have criticism (of the constructive variety) up in a week or two. That said, d20 is not my preferred system by any means.

togapika
2010-10-10, 01:10 AM
What about statting up a togepi?
Also what about the move metrenome?

drew2u
2010-10-10, 10:13 AM
So you did them all. Is there any way to gain access to the .pdf file? I can PM my email or some such, and will read through it and have criticism (of the constructive variety) up in a week or two. That said, d20 is not my preferred system by any means.

The file is too big to send via email. I may give a Megaupload or Rapidshare link instead - if I can upload it. Otherwise I can send it piecemeal per section.
It's still in the Beta stage and as such there's a lot of information that's still being clarified (such as the Skills section and Adventuring/Actions in Combat section). Most of those are pretty much the same as the OGL d20 system.

And I used d20 as a base because it's just what I'm familiar with ;) I'm sure there'd be a better system to use instead.

What about statting up a togepi?
Also what about the move metrenome?

175 Togepi (http://s12.photobucket.com/albums/a249/drew2u/Pokemon/175togepi.png) spike ball pokemon

http://archives.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/thumb/6/6b/175Togepi.png/160px-175Togepi.png
Normal-Type
Size: Tiny, 1'00", 3.3 lbs.
Walk: 15 ft. (all pokemon, regardless how slow, have at least a walking speed of 15ft. )
Happiness: 27
Catch Rate: 85
EV: .5 SpD
Egg Group: No Eggs
Incubation: 2 days
Stats: HP 8, Atk 5, Def 16, SpA 10, SpD 16, Spe 5
Ability: Hustle or Serene Grace
Evolution: 176 Togetic (happiness) -> 468 Togekiss (shiny stone)

Now this stat block is different as it isn't a write-up for a togepi at a specific level, but rather the basic stat information for encountering a togepi. Level dependent changes such as BaB, DR, and feats aren't included. One could encounter a togepi at any level, so this block tells you where to start.
Also included in this stat block are the base happiness number of the species (which is a separate mechanic from, say, Diplomacy to influence the attitude of a creature for a single encounter), its catch rate (how difficult it is to catch in a pokeball), Effort Value information, and breeding information.

Metronome is fairly easy. It's an attack chosen at random barring a list of moves. Pretty much just open up the book at the moves section, flip pages, stop randomly, and point your finger at an attack. This could also be done by the GM instead of the player.
Making a list of all the possible attacks and rolling d% would be overkill since it'd involve multiple rolls.