PDA

View Full Version : Magic and Detection Spells

Diarmuid
2010-10-08, 03:18 PM
So the thread about the phylactery got me thinking about detection spells.

Spells like Fire Trap and the various Glyph spells specify what the DC's for a Search check would be to identify them in place.

Would a simple Detect Magic spell find them as well? My DM has houseruled that it doesnt, but that's because we've got a warlock in the party who uses Detect Magic in every room before we go in and he wanted to somehow be able to use magical traps against us at some point. The houserule doesnt bother me too much, but I'm curious if there are official sources that deal with this? Seems like a lvl 0 spell shouldnt really have the ability to neuter a whole line of spells.

Similarly, if a non-magical item were made invisible via the spell, would Detect Magic find the spell in effect making the object findable?

Tyndmyr
2010-10-08, 03:19 PM
By raw, yes, a detect magic spell will detect auras from magical traps and the like.

There are ways to fix this, and you don't know exactly WHAT the spell is, either. So, not really a big deal.

Diarmuid
2010-10-08, 03:41 PM
What are the ways to fix this?

Well, given enough study and time you could discern the school which helps identify the type of magic involved.

So the spell Magic Aura...if used to hide the magical properies of an item....would still itself be detectable via Detect Magic. This seems...odd to me.

ericgrau
2010-10-08, 04:22 PM
I don't think magic aura would show up under a detect magic under RAMS (rules as make sense). Concealing an aura is a specific function of the spell. Even by RAW the spell merely alters the target aura for a set period of time, and isn't necessary an effect that stays on the object in any other way. So even "RAW" requires some wonky RAI to make it show up on detect magic.

Most magic traps would only show up as abjuration effects, and it would take 3 rounds of concentration to pinpoint it. You'd also need a wand of detect magic or detect magic at will to do this often. I don't see it as a big deal to let people find magic traps this way. Even if they walk right into the trap it does some minor damage which they immediately heal up... unless they're under some sort of pressure like a fight or a chase. And if they're under pressure then they don't have 3 rounds plus w/e it takes to get around the trap.

jmbrown
2010-10-08, 05:39 PM
Magic Aura can hide a magical aura, detecting as if it were nonmagical and no, a detect spell wouldn't pick up that it's an illusion. Keep in mind that multiple or stronger auras can fool detection spells. Lets say a fire trapped chest has a lock created by a permanent image spell. Detect magic would pick it up as a moderate illusion which masks the faint abjuration of fire trap.