PDA

View Full Version : Darth Malack

cdstephens
2010-10-08, 03:30 PM
So, as you all have probably noticed, there's been a ton of Star Wars references going on in the past few comics, specifically concerning those of Elan and his father of course. One character it seems may have escaped the scrutiny of most, that is Malack.

IMO, his name could be a vague reference to Darth Malak, the antagonist to the very popular game Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic.

If correct, this could actually have a profound impact on the story. In KOTOR, the story goes like this: Darth Malak takes his chance on securing power by betraying his master, Darth Revan. This opens up the possibility that Malack actually betrays Tarquin if, for example, Tarquin decides to side with Elan at some point.

Thoughts?

Thorcrest
2010-10-08, 03:33 PM
A possible theory... I believe it has been thrown on here before, but not necessarily because of the Darth Malack angle... but yes, people have mentionned that their names are the same and with all the other star wars references... I'm too lazy to look it up right now, but I'm sure someone will have a link to it being mentionned.

Dr.Epic
2010-10-08, 03:37 PM
Seems unlikely. It's just a name. The main protagonist is named Roy but I don't expect him to become an alchemist that specializes in Flame attacks and joins the military. Besides, unless it was in a film, most people wouldn't get it's a Star Wars reference. And the Star Wars references have died down a little.

cdstephens
2010-10-08, 03:38 PM
The main protagonist is named Roy but I don't expect him to become an alchemist that specializes in Flame attacks and joins the military.

Of course not. He's Roy from Fire Emblem.

DaveMcW
2010-10-08, 03:41 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mal
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malak

It's not that hard to put the two together to get the name of an evil magic-user. Neither the Giant nor George Lucas were the first to do it.

Xykeb Zraliv
2010-10-08, 09:21 PM
Not that I agree with that theory, because I don't really have an opinion on the matter, but I feel I should point out that many of the people that think this have noticed that "Kotor the Paladin" is one of Malack's Macebook friends.

Zevox
2010-10-08, 09:22 PM
Has been suggested before. I think it's possible (though I think your suggestion that it would impact the story at all is ridiculous), but it rests on the assumption that the Giant has in fact played KotOR, which we really can't be sure of.

Zevox

Ranylyn
2010-10-08, 10:11 PM
Well, I can certainly see Malack being a villain, for multiple reasons:

- The first syllable, "Mal" is not only french for hurt/harm/bad (depends on context/suffixes) but also used in some english words such as "Malicious" or "Malpractice" This alone is not enough to substantiate a Malack = antagonist theory, but is interesting to keep in mind.

- Albino. Don't get me wrong, albinos rock, but they are also staple villains in many JRPGs. True, you may have the odd albino protagonist, such as Haseo from .hack//G.U. However, most albinos in games are antagonists or at least supporting/recurring foes. A few examples from more recent games include Duke from Tales of Vesperia, Shuzuru from Phantasy Star Portable 2, Selvaria from Valkyria Chronicles, and I really needn't continue.

***Please note that the two major albino characteristics are the white/silver hair and RED eyes. Please don't lop characters into this discussion that only have the haircolor, as many Sephiroth, Genis (Tales of Symphonia, party member,) Allegretto (Eternal Sonata, party leader,) and so on fans tend to do. These characters aren't albino and are thus irrelevant to the stereotype.

Honestly, there's a lot more, but I'm too tired to type it all tonight. I guess I'll leave it off with "may return as a recurring villain" after being inspired by the idea of "a pilgrimage to learn more about the other races" and using it as a front while travelling, looking for (insert goal here)

Dr.Epic
2010-10-08, 10:32 PM
- Albino. Don't get me wrong, albinos rock, but they are also staple villains in many JRPGs. True, you may have the odd albino protagonist, such as Haseo from .hack//G.U. However, most albinos in games are antagonists or at least supporting/recurring foes. A few examples from more recent games include Duke from Tales of Vesperia, Shuzuru from Phantasy Star Portable 2, Selvaria from Valkyria Chronicles, and I really needn't continue.

Felicia Day.:smallannoyed:

Acero
2010-10-09, 12:44 AM
I just hope Malack has some domain that allows lightning bolt.

BTW, Mal goes back to the ancient Latin malus, which ment bad(and apples. Hence how in the Garden of Eve story, the fruit is often an apple.)

and Latin leads to You're French Mal words, English Mal words, and many others, including Spanish mal, which sipmly translates into just bad.

Gift Jeraff
2010-10-09, 01:01 AM
At first I chalked it up to pure coincidence, but after the paladin named Kotor (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0739.html), I don't know anymore...

I think between Tarquin/Tarkin, Malack/Malak, and Kotor, there's a good chance that at least one of them is an intentional Star Wars reference. Of course all of them, 2 of them, or none of them are also possible. :smalltongue: Maybe it'll be touched upon in the commentary. He has settled pop culture references in those before (Fruit Pie and the roach's Green Lantern joke spring to mind).

cdstephens
2010-10-09, 01:25 PM
At first I chalked it up to pure coincidence, but after the paladin named Kotor (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0739.html), I don't know anymore...

I think between Tarquin/Tarkin, Malack/Malak, and Kotor, there's a good chance that at least one of them is an intentional Star Wars reference. Of course all of them, 2 of them, or none of them are also possible. :smalltongue: Maybe it'll be touched upon in the commentary. He has settled pop culture references in those before (Fruit Pie and the roach's Green Lantern joke spring to mind).

What's funny is that I didn't even notice that before.

So much win...

Cisturn
2010-10-09, 03:17 PM

You forgot Pete Wisdom from Venture Brothers

Dr.Epic
2010-10-09, 04:00 PM
You forgot Pete Wisdom from Venture Brothers

His last name is White. He, like all characters on the show, have a symbolic last name.

Fargazer
2010-10-09, 04:16 PM
So, as you all have probably noticed, there's been a ton of Star Wars references going on in the past few comics, specifically concerning those of Elan and his father of course. One character it seems may have escaped the scrutiny of most, that is Malack.

IMO, his name could be a vague reference to Darth Malak, the antagonist to the very popular game Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic.

If correct, this could actually have a profound impact on the story. In KOTOR, the story goes like this: Darth Malak takes his chance on securing power by betraying his master, Darth Revan. This opens up the possibility that Malack actually betrays Tarquin if, for example, Tarquin decides to side with Elan at some point.

Thoughts?

It may have been a reference, but I doubt it will have any effect on the story. By the same token, you could claim that he had his mouth taken off, and thats why he wouldn't eat in public.

Also, on your signature. I'm pretty sure Donna didn't take her wall down just because of you.

Dr.Epic
2010-10-09, 05:52 PM
It may have been a reference, but I doubt it will have any effect on the story. By the same token, you could claim that he had his mouth taken off, and thats why he wouldn't eat in public.

"Had his mouth taken off"? How is that possible? A mouth is a hole. You'd have to like sow it up and even then the hole would still technically be there.

Fargazer
2010-10-09, 06:26 PM
"Had his mouth taken off"? How is that possible? A mouth is a hole. You'd have to like sow it up and even then the hole would still technically be there.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Darth_Malak

Specifically, there's a picture of him with his "jaw casing" removed. He got his mouth cut off by his master's lightsaber.

Kish
2010-10-09, 06:44 PM
Jaw, Darth Malak lost his jaw.

Dr.Epic
2010-10-09, 06:47 PM
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Darth_Malak

Specifically, there's a picture of him with his "jaw casing" removed. He got his mouth cut off by his master's lightsaber.

Looks like his jaw was removed. Malack, as we've seen, has all the elements of his skull intact (unless his hood is hiding something).

Swordpriest
2010-10-10, 09:42 AM
Well, my personal opinion is that it's a direct reference to Darth Malack, but that doesn't mean that the story will develop the same way (Tarquin's and Elan's interaction hasn't corresponded to the movies -- it wasn't "Elan, I am your father!" "Noooooooooo!", after all).

cdstephens
2010-10-10, 02:27 PM

Also, on your signature. I'm pretty sure Donna didn't take her wall down just because of you.

Was referring to Michelle Archer, not Donna. I'd tell you the story, but it's a bit off topic.

The Giant
2010-10-10, 04:27 PM
I've never played Knights of the Old Republic. The name was originally going to be Malachi, but I decided at the last minute that I didn't want names that were too closely related to any real-world religion. So I dropped the "hi" and slapped on a "k", which happily gave me a unique name.

And his "friend" Kotor was just random. I picked sounds that sounded like an ancient Conan-type warrior to me.

cdstephens
2010-10-10, 07:31 PM
I've never played Knights of the Old Republic. The name was originally going to be Malachi, but I decided at the last minute that I didn't want names that were too closely related to any real-world religion. So I dropped the "hi" and slapped on a "k", which happily gave me a unique name.

And his "friend" Kotor was just random. I picked sounds that sounded like an ancient Conan-type warrior to me.

But....but....it was so perfect.....Malack....KOTOR....the Star Wars references.....

http://www.nooooooooooooooo.com/

Mando Knight
2010-10-10, 07:40 PM

If there isn't some kind of "law of unintentional references," I'm gonna have to write one up. I caught Howard Tayler (http://schlockmercenary.com/) on an unintentional Portal reference (http://www.schlockmercenary.com/d/20071207.html) a couple years back...

Zevox
2010-10-10, 07:45 PM
If there isn't some kind of "law of unintentional references," I'm gonna have to write one up.
There is. It's called "coincidences."

Zevox

Gift Jeraff
2010-10-10, 07:50 PM
(Tarquin's and Elan's interaction hasn't corresponded to the movies -- it wasn't "Elan, I am your father!" "Noooooooooo!", after all).
If anything it's the reverse, they started off on a good start while Luke started off hating Vader. Unless you want to count those few minutes where Elan thought he was just an evil general.

And thus people will still debate about Tarquin/Tarkin.

Who am I kidding? Malack and Kotor, too.

Still, good to have some clarification from Mr. Burlew. :smallsmile:

Fargazer
2010-10-10, 11:13 PM
Was referring to Michelle Archer, not Donna. I'd tell you the story, but it's a bit off topic.

PM. Meh, Meesh/Archer attracted enough attention anyway.

There is. It's called "coincidences."

Zevox

But it seemed so likely! Ah well, all the best coincidences are I suppose.

Xykeb Zraliv
2010-10-10, 11:47 PM
Coincidences are frightening and dangerous things.

Swordpriest
2010-10-10, 11:49 PM
Coincidences are frightening and dangerous things.

Especially ones of this precision .... :smalleek:

The Giant
2010-10-11, 11:05 AM
And thus people will still debate about Tarquin/Tarkin.

Tarquin is named after the king of Rome. It's a different name altogether, there's nothing to debate about.

JoeSkull
2010-10-11, 01:32 PM

wow..., well, that sucks... I mean it all fit so perfectly, but..., *sigh* :smallfrown:

well at least we have the answer..., I think Im gonna pretend that this post never happened.

Timberboar
2010-10-11, 04:25 PM
One unintentional reference can easily be written off as coincidence.

Three stretches credibility.

Or maybe Star Wars has grown to such a level that it's hard NOT to find parallels anymore. :smallbiggrin: I mean, Wookieepedia is up to 80,000+ articles now.

F'r example:
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Elan

ChowGuy
2010-10-11, 07:51 PM
there's nothing to debate about.

When has that ever made any difference? :smallwink:

Gift Jeraff
2010-10-11, 08:53 PM
One unintentional reference can easily be written off as coincidence.

Three stretches credibility.

Or maybe Star Wars has grown to such a level that it's hard NOT to find parallels anymore. :smallbiggrin: I mean, Wookieepedia is up to 80,000+ articles now.

F'r example:
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Elan

I guess that's just what happens when something expands enough.

I'm sure there are unintentional "references" to large franchises everywhere. Also, the whole thing where the mind looks for patterns and stuff which aren't there, etc. Keep in mind that all of these were "stretches". (If their names were actually Tarkin and Malak, then, yeah, that would be a really freaky coincidence. And if the paladin was named KotOR then I think we would have one of the biggest coincidences ever.)

Swordpriest
2010-10-11, 10:15 PM
I would still say that it has to be one of the top 10 coincidences of all time. I mean, we get Darth Vader quotes, Boba Fett quotes, and various other Star Wars references. Then, at the same time, we get --

Tarquin -- like Grand Moff Tarkin
Malack -- like Darth Malak
Kotor -- like KotoR -- Knights of the Old Republic

It's like having the characters bring out all kinds of references to Star Trek -- "Beam me up, Scotty!" and "the dilithium crystals can't take much more of this" -- then having characters named Kerk, Spuck, and Bones, and saying that the names of those characters actually have nothing to do with Star Trek. :smallconfused:

I'm really, really confused at the moment. :smalleek:

Xykeb Zraliv
2010-10-11, 10:44 PM
I would still say that it has to be one of the top 10 coincidences of all time. I mean, we get Darth Vader quotes, Boba Fett quotes, and various other Star Wars references. Then, at the same time, we get --

Tarquin -- like Grand Moff Tarkin
Malack -- like Darth Malak
Kotor -- like KotoR -- Knights of the Old Republic

It's like having the characters bring out all kinds of references to Star Trek -- "Beam me up, Scotty!" and "the dilithium crystals can't take much more of this" -- then having characters named Kerk, Spuck, and Bones, and saying that the names of those characters actually have nothing to do with Star Trek. :smallconfused:

I'm really, really confused at the moment. :smalleek:

The theory's dead, Jem.

SadisticFishing
2010-10-11, 11:28 PM
Quite possibly Malack was a coincidence, and though he's never played it, his subconscious mind recognized the name and stuck "Kotor" beside it.

It's like IRL epileptic trees :D lots of fun.

Though, tbh, that's my real guess. The mind is an interesting and hilarious thing.

Swordpriest
2010-10-11, 11:48 PM
Yes, I figure it has to be subconscious associations. It's like the time I was writing a short story, and only later realized that I had copied over part of a line from the Worm Ouroboros by Eddison, verbatim, without realizing it at the time I was writing. :smalleek:

Xykeb Zraliv
2010-10-12, 12:21 AM
Yes, I figure it has to be subconscious associations. It's like the time I was writing a short story, and only later realized that I had copied over part of a line from the Worm Ouroboros by Eddison, verbatim, without realizing it at the time I was writing. :smalleek:

That happened to me once, only I was writing a love song and the line in question came from Hello Kitty: Island Adventures.

....Wait, did I say that out loud? I meant, errr, I can't believe this whole thing is just a coincidence!!!!

Kish
2010-10-12, 12:22 AM
How could there be subconscious associations if the author never played KotOR?

SadisticFishing
2010-10-12, 05:14 AM

For one thing, I'm fairly sure our author is a nerd. One cool thing about nerds is that we often hang out with other nerds.

I know that at my D&D table, for example, I hear far too much about HoN.

It's actually far more likely that it's subconscious this way - if he HAD played it, he'd recognize it.

Swordpriest
2010-10-12, 05:18 AM
For one thing, I'm fairly sure our author is a nerd. One cool thing about nerds is that we often hang out with other nerds.

I know that at my D&D table, for example, I hear far too much about HoN.

It's actually far more likely that it's subconscious this way - if he HAD played it, he'd recognize it.

Agreed. The interesting thing is, I've never played KotoR either. However, I still recognized the names. :smallwink:

Timberboar
2010-10-12, 03:41 PM

That's the great thing about mass media and popular culture -- it's hard to avoid.

I've never heard a Miley Cyrus song... but I certainly know who she is. Same goes for Lady Gaga. That stuff just kind of seeps in (a process I lovingly call brain osmosis).

FrankNorman
2010-10-13, 01:53 PM
I find it easy to believe that the apparent StarWars references were accidental, as I've seen things like that before.

There was an online roleplay-story thing, in which things from various fictional universes were thrown together. One of the people taking part had a Vulcan character, who noticed a "Subspace Eddie" floating by just outside his ship - so he put on a spacesuit, lent out of the airlock, and had a conversation with it.

Another poster at first took for granted that this was a witty reference to "Crazy Eddie" from Larry Niven's Known Space universe. But this was not the case - the first poster had never heard of Crazy Eddie, when he invented "Subspace Eddie". It was just a play on the concept of a subspace eddy - a sort of ripple in spacetime.

Glancing at the sensors, S'Tranak noticed a nearby Subspace Eddie. Idling his ship nearer, he donned a spacesuit and leaned out of the airlock. "Hello there. Ed!" The Eddie was startled.. "Hey careful.. if we're seen talking to each other there'll be Big Trouble. In fact your own people would probably put you in the funny farm!.. what do you want, anyway?"
"Well, Edward, is there anything you can tell me?" "Plenty! Did you know there was another ship here? One from another universe in fact!" "There was?" "Yeah.. check your logs! I'm surprised none of you noticed! Gotta go now!".. and the Eddie rippled away.

Siosilvar
2010-10-13, 10:42 PM
The theory's dead, Jem.

There are four wights?

cdstephens
2010-10-19, 09:51 PM
A bit off topic, but I personally think the author really needs to play KOTOR. :smallannoyed:

Kish
2010-10-19, 10:06 PM
A bit off topic, but I personally think the author really needs to play KOTOR. :smallannoyed:
That wouldn't retroactively make Malack and Kotor KotOR references, you know.

zyborg
2010-10-20, 07:49 AM
That wouldn't retroactively make Malack and Kotor KotOR references, you know.

I think he means that the Giant is missing out on a good game? That's what I got from that, anyways. I've never played KoTR before either.

PopcornMage
2010-10-20, 08:46 AM
We can't buy him a copy.

"Finish the latest strip, or play around with my JEDI powers..."

We don't want that.

cdstephens
2010-10-20, 11:35 AM
I think he means that the Giant is missing out on a good game? That's what I got from that, anyways. I've never played KoTR before either.

It's one of the best Star Wars games in existence basically, since most of them are crap. Plus, it is Bioware.

Also, *points at avatar*

Liwen
2010-10-21, 07:45 AM
Hold on here. You guys are now proposing that, even after the giant himself descended in this thread to explicitly (twice) mention Malack is not a Kotor reference, that it might actually be a SUBCONSCIOUS kotor reference based of the assumption that the giant hangs out with people who mentioned to him at least one time that a character name Malak is the main antagonist of the first Kotor game?

Just so I can make a valid point on my new theory here, how many of you believe Belkar is good and Miko will come back?

Edit : oh and that Belkar will not die.

Kondziu
2010-10-21, 11:17 AM
Eh, yes? What's wrong with that?

Two unique, near-KotOR names appear in the comic while tons of other Star Wars references are around. Yeah, the pure coincidence scenario is the most probable.

Oh, forgot the [sarcazm].

EDIT: And while I believe that Belkar will die, is CE and Miko is dead for good, I still refrain myself from implying that people who believe otherwise are idiots.

Nimrod's Son
2010-10-21, 11:21 AM
Hear that, Rich? Turns out you were wrong; it WAS a Star Wars reference after all. I know you think you decided to just do a few obvious references to the original trilogy, but some murky part of your brain decided that the opportunity to sneak in a load of unrelated shout-outs to obscure EU stuff that you're not even familiar with was just too good to pass up.

:smallsigh:

Kondziu
2010-10-21, 11:29 AM
I'm not arguing that it was a reference. Right now, as a non-native speaker, I'm not sure of the word's definition, so I don't know if references can be unintentional. If they can - then it was a reference nontheless. If they can't - it obviously wasn't. Simple as that.

What I am arguing is that yes, it's in the realm of probability that those names were at least mentioned in Giant's presence, and that and Star Wars theme made it more likely for them to pop up rather than two other names.

Dear Nimrod's Son, there's probably a good reason it's called subconcious.

cdstephens
2010-10-21, 01:34 PM
Hold on here. You guys are now proposing that, even after the giant himself descended in this thread to explicitly (twice) mention Malack is not a Kotor reference, that it might actually be a SUBCONSCIOUS kotor reference based of the assumption that the giant hangs out with people who mentioned to him at least one time that a character name Malak is the main antagonist of the first Kotor game?

Just so I can make a valid point on my new theory here, how many of you believe Belkar is good and Miko will come back?

Edit : oh and that Belkar will not die.

What I wish and what I think will happen are two completely different things.

I'll always love you Miko!