PDA

View Full Version : [3.0, 3.5, PF] Might Crossbows

Wannabehero
2010-10-08, 05:45 PM
Here is a little homebrew that my players enjoy and seems to make sense, at least to myself.

We instituted a mighty crossbow rule, wherein crossbows could be constructed in a similar manner to composite bows, to include +STR modifier to damage. These types of bows are treated the same as mighty composite bows, where the strength rating bonus only applies to damage dealt and not to hit.

The cost modifier of constructing a mighty crossbow is the same as a mighty composite bow, +100 gp per point of strength rating.

Unlike composite bows, mighty crossbows do not incur a penalty to hit if a character does not meet the strength requirement. Instead, mighty crossbows require a strength check to load effectively. In essence, the crossbow in question requires a strength check with a DC of 10 plus the strength rating of the bow in order to load. If the player's strength modifier is equal to the strength rating of the bow, it is an automatic success.

A character whose strength modifier is lower than the strength rating of the bow could potentially still use the crossbow, but with the strong likelihood of wasting actions trying to reload it.

In addition, the type of crossbow in question that is modified to be a mighty crossbow effects the modifier to damage. These modifiers are:

Heavy Crossbow - 1.5 * Strength rating of crossbow
Light Crossbow - 1 * Strength rating of crossbow
Hand Crossbow - 0.5 * Strength rating of crossbow

That's about it. Thought I would share

Cheers

Fake Edit: In posting this information, I came across a similar idea at Brilliant Gameologists (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=6796.0), though with a slightly different implementation. Posted in order to provide due diligence.

Real Edit: A similar concept was posted by Ashtagon here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=146134), included in a full bow revision. The premise was similar, but implementation very different. Thought I would be nice a link to it regardless.

Fizban
2010-10-09, 06:30 PM
Sounds good, but how does it work with Repeating Crossbows, Quick Loading, and other loading time reducers?

Cidolfas
2010-10-10, 12:16 PM
Assuming it would follow the same rules as those linked, it probably wouldn't work with repeaters due to the lack of manual loading. Unlike the others, however, this doesn't specify an increase in load time. I approve of this, since I think crossbows are greatly maligned by current SRD rules. I would suggest (if this is not already the intent) that someone with the proper Strength score can load without fail regardless of the action required. Failing a Strength check to reload could then increase the load time required (swift to move, move to full-round) instead of counting as a failed reload.

Sort of like active reloads from Gears of War.

Altair_the_Vexed
2010-10-11, 04:46 AM
I would suggest (if this is not already the intent) that someone with the proper Strength score can load without fail regardless of the action required. Failing a Strength check to reload could then increase the load time required (swift to move, move to full-round) instead of counting as a failed reload.
I second this suggestion.

DueceEsMachine
2010-10-11, 08:27 AM

I like that different crossbows deal with strength differently, but my first thought was: what about a great crossbow?

Yes, it's exotic, but following the logic, would they get a 2 x str rating bonus?

arguskos
2010-10-11, 05:50 PM

I like that different crossbows deal with strength differently, but my first thought was: what about a great crossbow?

Yes, it's exotic, but following the logic, would they get a 2 x str rating bonus?
Same question but for the Icechucker? What about a Repeating Crossbow? What about Double Crossbows (from a web enhancement for... Races of the Dragon, IIRC)? Lots of crossbow-like objects that aren't covered here.

ajkkjjk52
2010-10-14, 11:35 PM
This also opens up a vulnerability of a very high-dexterity character just hiring an orc hireling to load crossbows and hand them to him/her, combining their dexterity with an effecting strength score much higher than their own.

That said, I do guns the same way in my game: you need a feat to be able to load them but firing them is a simple weapon, and I haven't had any abuse.

Wannabehero
2010-10-15, 11:50 AM
...I would suggest (if this is not already the intent) that someone with the proper Strength score can load without fail regardless of the action required. Failing a Strength check to reload could then increase the load time required (swift to move, move to full-round) instead of counting as a failed reload.

That was indeed the intent. It might not have been very clear, but in the OP it states that a character whose strength bonus equals the strength rating of the bow in question automatically succeeds on the reload attempt.

I like the notion of the strength check failure potentially lengthening reload time rather than outright causing loss of the action, a very good idea. Maybe some thing like:

Failure by 5 or less = increasing reload action time by one step (free or swift -> move, move -> full round, full round -> two rounds).
Failure by more than 5 = loss of action, must reattempt

As for other types of bows, such as great crossbow, double crossbow, icechucker, ect. My players don't really use these enhancements all that much. I guess we would deal with them on a case-by-case basis as makes sense.

I'm not familiar with the stats for these weapons, so I would need to review them before making any judgment calls. Anyone have suggestions?