PDA

View Full Version : *Grumble* Second Uncanny Dodge Thread *Grumble*

mootoall
2010-10-08, 07:04 PM
So here I am, with the same problem as last time: but a new solution request.

I've a character with a really high touch AC, but when it gets down to being flatfooted ... well, it's not that great. So, Playgrounders, since this time I've got a great touch AC from creation, is there an item that I can get for Uncanny Dodge? If not, how much does the MIC suggest an item that replicates a class feature would cost?

I know there are level dips I can take (Incarnate is a possibility), but I'm looking for an item here. 7th level wealth.

Greenish
2010-10-08, 07:11 PM
MIC states that it intentionally fails to provide rules for custom item creation, since that's something DM has to eyeball.

Steadfast Boots might help a tad, and of course you can pick it up as a feat.

mootoall
2010-10-08, 07:13 PM
MIC states that it intentionally fails to provide rules for custom item creation, since that's something DM has to eyeball.

Steadfast Boots might help a tad, and of course you can pick it up as a feat.

What feat gives you Uncanny Dodge?

Steadfast Boots, if they're the items in this link: http://www.imarvintpa.com/dndlive/items.php?ID=2172 don't help at all ... I want to not be flatfooted.

Greenish
2010-10-08, 07:18 PM
What feat gives you Uncanny Dodge?Planar Touchstone (Catalogues of Enlightenment, Fate domain).

Steadfast Boots, if they're the items in this link: http://www.imarvintpa.com/dndlive/items.php?ID=2172 don't help at all ... I want to not be flatfooted.Those are an old version, but yeah, they do help if the enemy charges you while you're flat-footed (because you get readied action to attack them, and thus you're no longer flat-footed). Yeah, it's not as good, but hey, better than nothing, eh?

Newbieshoes
2010-10-08, 07:26 PM
Updated versions in the MIC.

+4 against trips bullrush and overrun and as long as you're packing a 2 hander its set vs charge.

mootoall
2010-10-08, 07:29 PM
Eh. That doesn't help me much, as my goal is to completely remove the chance of getting hit. Without any items yet (magic or armor), my AC is 24, and 24 touch, with an 11 flat footed ... this is not very good. Should I get rid of being flatfooted altogether, I'd be fairly hard to hit! I know the Boots of (alacrity?) soulmeld is a first level meld that gets me what I'm looking for, but I'd rather not do Incarnate quite yet.

Greenish
2010-10-08, 07:32 PM
I know the Boots of (alacrity?) soulmeld is a first level meld that gets me what I'm looking for, but I'd rather not do Incarnate quite yet.Impulse Boots. You can also pick them up with a feat (Shape Soulmeld).

mootoall
2010-10-08, 07:36 PM
Yes you can. I forgot about this. This would be very good. However, if anyone can suggest an item, that would be even better!

tonberrian
2010-10-08, 10:33 PM
Something that grants you Foresight, as the spell. It's a ninth level spell, though, so cost is through the roof.

mootoall
2010-10-08, 10:37 PM
Yes, it is. Well, what I've ended up deciding to do is just get myself Improved Initiative, use my +6 Dex to get me a +10 to initiative, and hope this DM doesn't like surprise rounds ... viable strategy?

DrWeird
2010-10-08, 10:41 PM
Not to sound dumb if this has already come up, but two levels of barbarian, or four levels of rogue, maybe...? Unless you're really, really set on not taking them; in which case, I'd suggest just a magical item granting Foresight. Good luck with the costs, though.

gallagher
2010-10-08, 10:45 PM
also, see if yo ucan get items that give you luck rerolls. that will help with your initiative. pump spot, listen, hide and move silently so that you get the surprise rounds

DrWeird
2010-10-08, 10:48 PM
Definitely improved initiative. It's a must-have to prevent being flat-footed, and has saved me more than once on classes without Uncanny Dodge.

mootoall
2010-10-08, 10:54 PM
Yeah, I've got an interesting casting path set up using one of the Improved Monster Classes, and the only multiclassing I do will likely be into Incarnate. Barb, Rogue etc. don't really fit with what I'm trying to do with the class.

herrhauptmann
2010-10-09, 01:26 AM
It won't help vs flatfooted, but why not a smoking weapon (lords of darkness). That's a flat 20% miss chance, at all times. So what if your flatfooted AC is 11, they still have a 1 in 5 chance of missing due to you wreathed in smoke. And it's also effective against regular attacks/crits/sneak attacks as well.

mootoall
2010-10-09, 01:29 AM
Well, that's nice too :smallbiggrin: What's the enhancement bonus equivalent on that?

Fax Celestis
2010-10-09, 11:19 AM
Yeah, I've got an interesting casting path set up using one of the Improved Monster Classes, and the only multiclassing I do will likely be into Incarnate.

:smallconfused:

Impulse Boots
Descriptors: None
Classes: Incarnate, Soulborn
Chakra: Feet
Saving Throw: None
[fluff text stuff]
Your impulse boots grant you the ability to avoid dangerous effects. While wearing this soulmeld, you gain the uncanny dodge ability.
[investment and bind stuff, boils down to +e on Reflex saves, Evasion if bound]

mootoall
2010-10-09, 11:23 AM
Yes, I've already said that I know that's a viable option. However, the campaign's just started, and I've not taken Incarnate *yet*. In fact, it's been mentioned before. This is an early-campaign measure. Right now I've got my AC up to 32, 25 Touch and 18 Flat-footed, so ... I guess the issue's been solved for now!

Starbuck_II
2010-10-09, 11:25 AM
Too bad you aren't dipping in 2 levels of Scout. Scouts are never flatfoot: yes the use immediate action type.

Greenish
2010-10-09, 11:27 AM
Well, that's nice too :smallbiggrin: What's the enhancement bonus equivalent on that?It's mere +1, and it also nauseates enemies who try to enter your square (to grapple, for example).

It's from Lords of Darkness, if my memory serves.

mootoall
2010-10-09, 11:30 AM
That is one damn good deal ... I'll be making use of that. Hell, even if I never end up attacking that'd be awesome!

Fax Celestis
2010-10-09, 11:34 AM
Yes, I've already said that I know that's a viable option. However, the campaign's just started, and I've not taken Incarnate *yet*. In fact, it's been mentioned before. This is an early-campaign measure. Right now I've got my AC up to 32, 25 Touch and 18 Flat-footed, so ... I guess the issue's been solved for now!

You could spend a feat on Shape Soulmeld (Impulse Boots). It's the quickest non-level way I can think of.

mootoall
2010-10-09, 11:40 AM
Already been suggested, and I figured that feat slot would be better used for Improved Initiative. Unless Shape Soulmeld can be used to shape any soulmeld. I was under the impression it had to be a specific one.

Greenish
2010-10-09, 11:59 AM
That is one damn good deal ... I'll be making use of that. Hell, even if I never end up attacking that'd be awesome!Yeah, that part is a bit meh. Spellcasters who won't be attacking with their weapons can grab it as a matter of course, but melee has to balance it with other +X's they might want on their weapons…

Already been suggested, and I figured that feat slot would be better used for Improved Initiative. Unless Shape Soulmeld can be used to shape any soulmeld. I was under the impression it had to be a specific one.It is just a specific one (because soulmelds don't unshape automatically, so if you could swap it you could shape all of them given time). Still, it gets you what you want, and you can pick up Evasion with another feat.

mootoall
2010-10-09, 12:01 PM
Yeah, right now I'm playing a pixie enchantress-type, so it'll be basically fly in, Irresistable Dance, fly out. Smoking Weapon + Flyby Attack + Ridiculous AC means I never get hit when I try this. Ever. MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Tyndmyr
2010-10-09, 12:38 PM
also, see if yo ucan get items that give you luck rerolls. that will help with your initiative. pump spot, listen, hide and move silently so that you get the surprise rounds

Speaking of luck rerolls, there's a feat in CS that allows a luck reroll to init. Now, if thats the only luck feat you take, it'll end up being usable only once per day, due to the luck limit...but if you have solid dex to begin with, it shouldn't be terribly frequent that you need to use it.

mootoall
2010-10-09, 01:01 PM
Oooh, luck rerolls are a good idea. I completely forgot about them!

lsfreak
2010-10-09, 01:02 PM
Speaking of luck rerolls, there's a feat in CS that allows a luck reroll to init. Now, if thats the only luck feat you take, it'll end up being usable only once per day, due to the luck limit...but if you have solid dex to begin with, it shouldn't be terribly frequent that you need to use it.

Drow of the Underdark, Ring of Anticipation, 6000gp. Every time you roll initiative, you roll twice and keep the better.