PDA

View Full Version : Orbital Academy IC

Shades of Gray
2010-10-08, 07:30 PM
Wednesday, January 4th, 2120. 7:30 PM

Circling Earth is a massive structure known as Orbital Academy. Consisting of several discs wrapped around a large square building, the Academy is the most prestigious military academy that world has ever seen. Shuttles come in every week from Earth with supplies such as food, water, and fuel. But today the shuttles are carrying more precious cargo: the students.

January marks the beginning of a new term aboard the Orbital Academy. Students are groaning about having to return to school, but they should take comfort in the fact that it is the shortest of the three terms.

The students all convene in the main atrium of Orbital Academy. There the Principal, a rather old and battle-scarred man, gives a speech. It would be remembered as an inspiring and grand recounting of the progress they've been making in the war and the achievements of the students. This memory would be weakened, however, by the fact that he had given nearly the same speech for the previous two years. He ended his speech with the statement "Welcome to a new term, students, and make your countries proud." as he always did.

Being dismissed, the students were informed that their belongings had been brought to their dorm rooms. New students were just now receiving their dorm assignments and roommates, whereas old students kept their rooms from previous years. The students were welcome to mingle in the common area or go directly to their rooms. Classes would begin on the following day, and the curfew was 11:00 PM. Welcome to a new term, students, and make your countries proud.

AmberVael
2010-10-08, 08:06 PM
Alice Abel listens to the speech dutifully, but already she draws similarities between it and the one she heard at the beginning of last term, and so her mind wanders while it is given. It hadn't particularly captured her attention the first time, anyway. When it is thankfully over, she gets up and directly makes her way to the common area, takes a seat, and gets out a magazine to read. After all, she didn't have anything that needed doing, since she already had her room set up the way she wanted it.

She supposes she'll need to meet her new roommate though, but that can wait until she's had time to settle in, and Alice won't be in her way. It'd be more efficient, hopefully a bit more relaxing to her... or would it? Alice considers the possibilities, whether the potential anxiety would outweigh the potential stress of moving in and meeting someone at the same time. Concluding she didn't have enough information about her roommate to make a good judgment, Alice moves closer to the entrance to the dorm halls, and discreetly keeps an eye out anyone who looks like they might be headed towards her room.

Otherwise, Alice ignores the surrounding people, guessing that few of them had interested, or at least positive interest, in her.

Neon Knight
2010-10-08, 08:29 PM
Immanuel Tager doesn't bother to pretend he is paying attention to the Principal's speech. Really, the academy at Berlin had a similar rigmarole to it, and this one was actually rather more boring, which was something of an accomplishment.

Immanuel chooses to lean against the one of the walls of the commons, hands stuffed in his pockets, head inclined downwards. Despite the fact that his uniform was just newly given to him, it already looked a bit wrinkled, dirty, and disorganized. Immanuel's overly long hair (which he had dyed a shade of almost white platinum blonde) fell across his face, obscuring it from the most part, and the glasses over his eyes put yet another barrier between him and the other students. No one approached him, and he approached no one, and that was the way he preferred it, for now. Honestly, this whole day was shot, and tomorrow didn't really have all that much promise either. With a shrug, Immanuel settled back and got comfortable. Might as well take it easy.

Callos_DeTerran
2010-10-09, 01:25 AM
Shari

Another of the returning students found herself drifting off during it, almost nodding off though the abrupt fall of her hat so that it almost fell off of her had makes Shari catch herself. Doesn't help that she gives a great big yawn afterward though. It really was a stirring speech..but after hearing it so many times it just sort of lost it's luster. So as the students began disperse, Shari found herself going to the common room as well, though it wasn't quite for the same purposes as studying or anything.

With a mischievous grin on her face, Shari quickly looks around for any teaches before climbing up unto a table and tips her trademark cowboy hat low over her eyes as if to become more serious.

"Hum hum, now ya'll students make sure ya make yer country proud!" Shari harrumphs out in a remarkable impression of the speech giver, barring her Southern accent, "That means nah foolin' round, rough housin', or raising a caterwaul over a little piece of nuthin'. Ya'll wouldn't want to haf to catch a ride back home, mighty cold outside and it takes a while for the buses to show up!"

Brief show finished, Shari gives a low bow, still smiling to herself as she hops off from her pedestal and, just to make sure, gives another quick look around for a teacher who might have spied her act.

Cunning for a good impression: [roll0]

Purple Rose
2010-10-09, 05:27 PM
Kana

Kana, surprisingly, hadn't slept through the speech. She had sat upright, taking each word, moving her lips in sync with the Old Man as he spoke, reciting from memory as he did the same. It was such a good speech, to Kana. Inspiring. Bold. Killer ending. She grinned as he finished. One day she would deliver a rousing speech that would rouse those who heard it into action. One day she would be up there, before a crowd, holding their rapt attention, the masses hanging on her every word. But first, she needed to get through another term.

She followed the other students that made their way to the common area. She smiled when she heard Shari's southern drawl. The girl made her way across the room and smiled at her roommate.

"Hi Shari. Still working on that impression?"

Neon Knight
2010-10-09, 07:46 PM
Boredom quickly overrode Immanuel's casual detachment, and he started looking around idly. The southern girl just got an eyeroll for her efforts. Yeah, it was a cornball speech. We got it already. Immanuel just tsks and looks around the room, looking for something more interesting.

He spotted the thin girl loitering near the dorm entrance because she was doing the same thing he was doing; ignoring everyone else around her. Paradoxically, that focused his attention upon her. Nonchalantly, he walked over and leaned against the wall near her chair, staring off for a bit. Casually, he glanced over at her magazine. "What are you reading?"

Callos_DeTerran
2010-10-09, 08:28 PM
Kana

Kana, surprisingly, hadn't slept through the speech. She had sat upright, taking each word, moving her lips in sync with the Old Man as he spoke, reciting from memory as he did the same. It was such a good speech, to Kana. Inspiring. Bold. Killer ending. She grinned as he finished. One day she would deliver a rousing speech that would rouse those who heard it into action. One day she would be up there, before a crowd, holding their rapt attention, the masses hanging on her every word. But first, she needed to get through another term.

She followed the other students that made their way to the common area. She smiled when she heard Shari's southern drawl. The girl made her way across the room and smiled at her roommate.

"Hi Shari. Still working on that impression?"

Shari

The southern girl climbs down off of the table, smiling gaily even as she glanced at her sight impaired roommate. That had always seemed like such a curious thing to her. In this day and age, surely SOMETHING could be done about blindness and yet...it hadn't. Or maybe Kanna simply couldn't afford it, that could be it too.

...Or maybe Kanna had already had her vision corrected and was just screwing with her! Quickly the cowboy-hat wearing girl waves one hand in front of her team-mate's face, to see if the other's eyes tracked the motion even as she gave another bright peal of laughter.

"'Still working on'? Hey! Ah thought that was mah best impresseen yet sugah. Ah doubt Ah can even do better then that!" She boasts proudly, brushing back some of her blone-and-dyed hair from her eyes. "'sides, been a fair clip since last Ah heard that speech. Can't do 'is voice right if Ah don't remember it right."

Purple Rose
2010-10-10, 02:18 AM
Kana

Her eyes, not surprisingly enough, fail to follow the hand. She, of course, knew about the various treatments and cures for blindness, but Kana had never seen (hehe) the need for them. As it was, her second sight was, in her opinion, more useful than her original failed vision and it only really kicked in after she had lost the use of her eyes. She smiles at Shari.

"How can you forget it? It's such a classic. The build, the message, the climactic finish! The Principal's opening speech is the best part of every term."

She glances around, and odd behavior considering, but it helps her blend in with the rest of the students. Given how she moves and the fact that her eyes are concealed behind her shades some fellow students never suspect that she is blind at all.

"What do you think of the fresh blood? Any promising young prodigies to take under our wings to be our sidekicks?"

She ***** a smirk.

"Also, don't think I didn't notice you waving your hand in front of my face."

She dips her chin and tips her shades to show off her milky white pupils.

"Still blind as an eyeless bat."

Kasanip
2010-10-10, 08:36 AM
Shia

It was a new world. But not that different. Shia looked around with a neutral look. Everyone was talking in excitement. Was she excited? A little. Maybe it was nervousness too?

But maybe that was not right also. What was the feeling? Shia wondered as she touched the wall. Maybe the gravity was very low here. Could she jump like on the moon? She tried to see.

Then the loud girl began to talk. But Shia could not understand what she said.

How strange. Was her thought.

Of course many people were staring at her and whispering. Maybe it was the uniform. Shia looked at her clothes. No it was not awkward. But it was different than the others. Maybe a little awkward. But it did not show on her face. So when Shia looked at them, quickly they looked away.

What a strange place. Was her thought. She wondered how long she was going to have to be here.

Maybe it was 'culture shock.'

AmberVael
2010-10-10, 08:51 AM
Alice closes the magazine, keeping her place in it with a finger, and holds it up with one hand so Immanuel can see the cover.
NUNE Geographic.
This particular edition seems to be focusing on a certain series of underwater caves, among other things. The photos, as always, are quite exquisite.

"It's an okay read."
She says quietly, with an idle shrug.
"I'm Alice. And you?"
Her hazel eyes flick over Immanuel quickly, but with a thorough, methodical preciseness to it that seems almost mechanical.

Neon Knight
2010-10-10, 09:00 AM
Immanuel, on the other hand, hardly bothers to look to the person he's talking to. He shrugs, his loose mop of hair flopping a bit with the gesture. "Immanuel. Immanuel Tager." He didn't offer his hand to shake or anything, remaining where he was against the wall. "You waiting for someone in particular?" He nods towards the dorms, indicating her apparent interest in that direction.

AmberVael
2010-10-10, 09:25 AM
"My roommate. I haven't met her yet."
Alice looks back to her magazine to memorize the page she was on, then sets it down beside her, so she doesn't have to continue holding it to the proper page.
"You weren't here last term."
She says with some certainty, in the same quiet voice.
"Did you transfer in? You don't look young enough to be new."

Neon Knight
2010-10-10, 09:38 AM
"Yeah, I did. Straight out of the Berlin Academy." Immanuel stood up and picked up the magazine she set about, briefly flicking through the pages.

PhoeKun
2010-10-10, 11:01 AM
Lilya has stars in her eye. She had been extremely excited to finally be joining the academy already, but that speech. It was so... so... she didn't have words for it. And to top it all off, being here just felt right. There's a sense of purpose, and of newness, with none of the nagging doubts and sense of deja vu she had everywhere while planetside.

With a tiny smile, the young woman runs a hand through her short blonde hair, adjusting it a bit to cover up her bandaging a little better. Although try as she may, a bit of the blue cloth pokes through anyway. With a shrug, she takes to what she can only assume is the pastime of this place and glances around, taking in all of the students around her.

There is, of course, the girl with the hat using all of the unusual words. Lilya supposes she must be a top student, or a student council member or something similar, to be drawing so much attention and reiterating the points made in the principal's speech. She makes a note to make a special effort to keep on that one's good side.

Her eye wanders back over the sea of students, catching some and getting nothing but glares in response. She frowns a bit. Finally, she settles on one peculiar sight - that of a girl wearing something other than the stock uniform of the academy. Too young to be in charge of something, so what could that mean? Her curious glance is met with a cool stare from the other. Huh. Well, only one way to find out what that all means. Lilya makes a quiet beeline toward Shia.

"You..." she pauses, lost in thought. Get this right, get this right. She gestures at the other's clothes. "...are different. New? What is name? I am Lilya. Lilya Mieczysława."

She offers her hand in greeting, fighting off the feeling that she hadn't quite gone about that the right way.

Callos_DeTerran
2010-10-10, 01:30 PM
Shari

The, admittedly, loud girl gives a sheepish laugh at Kana's comments about the speech since it was, after all, a very nice speech...just an old one.

"'course it's a fine speech sugah, but it keeps 'bout as well as roadkill ona hot summer's day" she comments off-hand, "'sides, we've heard it what? Twice now? 'E should try shakin' it up a bit with new material!"

Following her room-mate's lead, she looks about the common area idly, trying to make it look more casual even if she was appraising each person carefully with curious blue eyes. The two conversing quietly while one read a magazine looked like they'd be GOOD sidekicks they also seemed...well...a bit dull. A sidekick had to have pazazz and flash!

If for no other reason then to show off to that French brat...

So her attention went to the new kids, or at least the one's she didn't remember, and just...well...stared. Suddenly her cowboy hat and rainbow colored socks didn't seem that outrageous anymore...

"Well some of the new students certainly know how to make an impression...one of them is wearing..well Ah don't even know what to really call it. Ah think it's a jumpsuit almost. The other un talking to 'er seems more normal though...if ya can get past the fact it's a boy in a dress anyway." Shari says softly, to keep the mentioned parties from paying TOO much attention to her running commentary on them. "Dunno if their prodigies though. Just haf to see in practice, huh?"

When Kana tips down her sunglasses though, the normally exuberant Shari can't help but feel a bit embarrassed about pointing out that fact to her friend once more. Jeez, what kind of friend did that after all?

"Ah he he....sorry about that. Doesn't hurt to check though, right?

Kasanip
2010-10-10, 11:44 PM
Shia

Shia blinked in surprise at the approaching student.

Different...

"Yes." She answered simply.

"My name is Shia Kidu. Nice to meet you." She shakes hands.

What was someone to do with a new meeting like this?
Shia tried to think. Shia's different color eyes looked at the girl in front of her.

Different...

Yes, she was. The girl's voice was different too. But so was Shia's gray hair and gold eye. Maybe the other girl was covering herself to avoid this kind of thing?

"I'm from the moon." Shia said simply to explain 'Different.'

"Where are you from?" She asked the question. Earth geography she was not very good at, but she would have to learn.

Purple Rose
2010-10-11, 01:04 AM
Kana

Kana chuckles.

"If I start seeing again, I'll be sure to let you know by commenting loudly on that ridiculous hat of yours."

She crosses arms under her sumptuous breasts and lifts them gently as she laughs, smiling inside at the telltale electric rhythm of speeding hearts she can feel around her.

"Though I know what you mean about the newbies. Getting some... strange vibes off some of them."

AmberVael
2010-10-11, 08:44 AM
"I see."
Alice debates trying to keep the flow of conversation going, but she really isn't sure why he came to talk to her in the first place, nor what to talk about anyway (especially given that she doesn't know him). On the other hand... she can't very well go back to reading the magazine, given that he just took it from her.
Rather awkward, that.
"Is my magazine all that interested you?"
Alice asks, raising an eyebrow.

Neon Knight
2010-10-11, 09:08 AM
Immanuel continued to thumb through the pages rapidly, not answering Alice for a few seconds. "Nah. In fact, your magazine doesn't interest me in the slightest." And with that, Immanuel casually tossed the magazine over his shoulder. It landed in the dormitory hallway, several people turning to look as it smacked off the floor. Immanuel refolded his arms across his chest. "So, what year are you? And what are your scores like?"

AmberVael
2010-10-11, 09:28 AM
With that, Alice instantly recalculates her opinion of Immanuel, or rather, forms one in the first place. Irritably, she rises from her seat and moves to retrieve the magazine and make sure its pages don't get creased, though she doesn't really expect this guy will allow her to, and it isn't like she'll be able to physically oppose him. After all, she's quite a bit younger, and her health isn't exactly the best.

"Is there a reason you feel you can demand information on my schooling?"

Neon Knight
2010-10-11, 09:55 AM
Immanuel doesn't oppose her as she gets up, staying where he was against the wall. "I told you something about me. I'm from the Berlin Academy. Can't I ask something about you in turn?"

PhoeKun
2010-10-11, 11:11 AM
It is Lilya's turn to blink, as best as she is able.

"Students from moon are other uniforms wearing?" she muses aloud. Seconds tick by as the gears churn, and she runs the conversation over again in her head in a more comfortable dialect. Her cheeks flush crimson as she realizes her mistake.

"No! I meant that... clothes, clothes! But also I have not seen person like you, either... ah! I am idiot. Different is good. I am different also. I think I am only one here to come from Russia..."

Lilya shifts back and forth on her feet awkwardly. This isn't going well at all... but it's no time to give up. Effort would win the day from her own clumsiness.

"I... ran away," she explains, evidently expecting that to be satisfactory. Ok, topic shift, topic shift... oh, there's a nice one!

"What is it like on the moon?"

Lilya moves to adjust her hair again. It's being highly uncooperative today, she can tell. Not doing its job of hiding her... imperfections. She winces, and hopes nobody has noticed.

AmberVael
2010-10-11, 02:13 PM
"I think you used up my good will when you threw my belonging across the room."
Alice says coolly, flipping through the pages of her magazine to find her place, and make sure she hadn't missed any harm that might have come to it.

Neon Knight
2010-10-11, 03:40 PM
"You didn't seem too fond of it when you were talking before." Immanuel stepped forward and propped himself by his arms on the back of her chair, looking directly over her shoulder. "Why do you care, anyway? We aren't going to fight the war in underwater caves."

AmberVael
2010-10-11, 03:51 PM
"People should have more to them than being able to pilot a mech."
Alice says, her voice even quieter and colder than before. She turns herself and the magazine in a manner that seems meant to brush Immanuel off, and signify that she is quite done talking to him.

Neon Knight
2010-10-11, 04:17 PM
Immanuel isn't, however, or he at least wants to get in the last word. "There's more to war than fighting a mech. And one day, life will be about everything other than piloting a mech. After the war." Immanuel gets up. "Enjoy the book while you can." Immanuel walks off. That had killed some time, and to be honest had been a little fun, but he really had no more to say to her. Probably wouldn't ever, really, if she kept thinking like that.

Callos_DeTerran
2010-10-11, 04:58 PM
Kana

Kana chuckles.

"If I start seeing again, I'll be sure to let you know by commenting loudly on that ridiculous hat of yours."

She crosses arms under her sumptuous breasts and lifts them gently as she laughs, smiling inside at the telltale electric rhythm of speeding hearts she can feel around her.

"Though I know what you mean about the newbies. Getting some... strange vibes off some of them."

Shari

Kana's words quickly prompt Shari to clutch her hands over top of her cowboy hat, giving a hurt glare at the blind girl even before she replied, "Hey...my hat isn't ridiculous! I'll prove it to you!"

How exactly she intended to do that becomes quickly clear as she storms across the common room to the two new students they had both been eying up in their own ways. In one swift motion she removes her leather hat and holds it out so the two of them could look at it by themselves.

"'ey you two..mah hat isn't ridiculous, now is it?" she cajoles sweetly, switching her gaze from one to the other to try and convey that yes, it was an awesome hat.

I'll show that big-boobed Daredevil-wannabe something about style!

Kasanip
2010-10-12, 08:32 AM
Shia

Shia looked at her uniform. Ah, yes. She was the only one so it seemed strange.

"Russia?" Shia thought of this word. A country to research later.
"Ran away?" She frowned a little. Of course such a thing could not happen on the moon. Maybe it was similar to "Steal" in thought? A bad or uncomfortable thing, Shia thought as she looked at Lilya. Shia didn't mind though. But she wondered how "Ran away" to a space station could happen. Maybe she was a rich princess and had a spaceship?

But Lilya's question stopped her imagination.

"On the moon?" Shia thought. Ah, what was different for her? She jumped, ignoring her skirt.

"Maybe it's more like being a rabbit?" She guessed. "You can jump very far and live in tunnels."

She pushed off of the wall in the gravity and landed again. There are rabbits in Russia yes? Maybe with this awkwardness also, they were even. Maybe almost friends? Shia hoped so.

"Who is your roommate?" Shia asked. She was curious now.

PhoeKun
2010-10-13, 12:18 AM
If Lilya has any difficulties understanding the analogy, it does not show on her face. And indeed, the small demonstration had done more than enough to set the girl's imagination at work. Already she can picture the people traveling without really touching the ground, and comparing the concept of tunnels to what she can recall of the bitterly cold winds of the Russian winter... well, the concept of 24/7 shelter sounds like paradise. Never minding the fact that it was probably still much colder up there than the worst winter on earth could possibly manage, just to be away from the ice and snow... ah!

"Roommate? I do not know, but..." her attention is diverted for the moment to a sheet listing housing assignments. She narrows her eye involuntarily, squinting as though it would help her navigate the document more easily. Through it all she manages to completely miss Shari's introduction and the very important question regarding the awesomeness of her hat. But at the moment, Lilya has a much more important question to answer, which is just where the heck on this swirling list of English characters the approximation of her name was supposed to be.

"I am living with Shi... oh. With you!" she exclaims in surprise.

And honestly she could not have asked for a better arrangement. The others around the academy were, quite frankly, a little bit intimidating, steeped as they are in NUNE culture. But Shia is... different, and with all that entails it makes the moon girl much more comfortable. Yes, this is a very nice surprise indeed. This is...

"...hat?" her attention is finally drawn toward Shari. She folds her arms, pondering the question and how one would appropriately respond to it."Hat is... very American. Like in movies, yes?" She nods.

Purple Rose
2010-10-14, 01:42 AM
Kana

A chuckle escapes Kana's lips as her roommate goes off to pester other student about her hat. The girl had forgotten how much she liked the the crazy cowgirl and her antics.

AmberVael
2010-10-17, 10:51 AM
Alice

Even after Immanuel walks away, Alice feels uncomfortable and offset. The encounter had just been upsetting and awkward, overall, and it was hard for her to recover from it as her mind just kept replaying everything that had happened. After catching herself watching him warily instead of reading her magazine, Alice gives up and heads to her room, hoping to get a bit more peace and quiet there, or at least she might find something to distract her.

Shades of Gray
2010-10-17, 01:14 PM
Alice Abel

When Alice entered room F22, her new home for the next six months, she saw a girl with short pink hair on one of the beds. She was wearing a set of plain white pajamas rather than her uniform, and in her hands was a copy of the very same magazine that Alice had just been reading. Beside her lay a box of tissues. When she heard the door open she glanced up, looking over the magazine at the new arrival.

"Alice, right?" The girl asked as she dropped the magazine into the waste basket beside her bed, previously being only occupied by used tissues. "Welcome to F13. I'm Honoka Emi, and you are my third roommate." She said unceremoniously.

Immanuel Tager

When Immanuel enters room M13 he sees a short, African-American boy with a shaved head using a laptop. He is wearing the uniform, opting for the vest rather than the standard jacket worn by most of the unfairer sex aboard the academy. "Yo." He said simply as he threw Immanuel a can of cola. The boy took out the piece of paper detailing his rooming situation. "I'm Ben. And you must be... Immanuel? Mind if I call you Manny?" He asked as he stumbled over the name.

Neon Knight
2010-10-17, 01:49 PM
Immanuel had decided to go check his room out for the same reason he had bothered Alice; sheer boredom. Immanuel catches the soda easily, without breaking his stride. "Manny? Sure, why not." He eyes the paper Ben holds with a stony glare. "What's that?"

AmberVael
2010-10-18, 07:59 AM
Alice

"They've moved you around a lot then."
Alice says quietly, taking a seat on her own bed.
"It's nice to meet you, Honoka."

Kasanip
2010-10-18, 08:37 AM
Shia

She realized Shari was talking to her and Lilya.

"It is a nice hat." Shia said politely. "But isn't it too big?" She asked. Maybe it would float away with a poke.

Another different accent. This would be difficult to understand everyone- this was Shia's thought. Maybe they could not understand her?

She looked at Lilya and Shari. "My name is Shia. Nice to meet you."

Shades of Gray
2010-10-18, 09:26 AM
Immanuel "Manny" Tager

"Nothing, just the room assignments." He said as he flipped through the pages. His eyes widened and a smile grew on his face. "Turns out that Kana and Shari are just on the other side of this wall." The boy said with interest, knocking on the wall beside him. It seemed to be hollow. He began to mumble incoherently as he drew up some diagrams and wrote up some notes on his laptop. "Sometime this week, I'll be able to get a drill and a webcam. We can get probably... €300 a week from the fan-club. We can split it 70/30."

Honoka Emi

"Yep, I've been switched around so much it's not funny. I've seen two roomies graduate." She sighed. "The sickness sort of gets in the way of things. Don't worry, it's not contagious." Emi reassured her roommate. "It's nice to meet you too, Alice. Hopefully this year we can both graduate. Third time's the charm."

Neon Knight
2010-10-18, 09:47 AM
Immanuel Tager

"Tch." Immanuel wasn't very impressed. He leaned nonchalantly against the wall. "Glad to hear it. I know you'll be happy with your 30." Immanuel leaned over, placing a hand on the table and getting directly in Ben's face. Immanuel's impressive musculature and his rather pointed look made the implied threat clear.

OOC: Only got a 4 for bullying/intimidation. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=9577819&postcount=2)

Callos_DeTerran
2010-10-18, 03:33 PM
Shari

The southern belle, after a fashion, smiles brightly as the two agree with her, giving an affirming nod of her head.

"No such thang as a 'at that's too big!" She says authoritatively, blinking in surprise when the stranger of the two girls introduces herself, "'course, how silly of me. Ah'm Shari!...Ah also need to go back and gloat to my friend. Ah'm gonna keep an eye out for both of ya though, kay? Yer good people!"

And, just like her abrupt entrance into the conversation, she was all but skipping back to her room-mate with a massive grin on her face. "Told ya."

Purple Rose
2010-10-18, 04:48 PM
Kana

The girl snorts an waves a hand dismissively, even while she grins at her roommate.

"Fine. A couple people like your ten gallon. Doesn't mean it isn't also ridiculous."

She pauses then chuckles.

"Fashionably ridiculous."

She smiles.

"Doesn't feel like anything interesting is going to be happening here, for now. Wanna head back to the room and see how it looks?"

AmberVael
2010-10-19, 10:15 AM
Alice Abel

Alice gives Emi a smile.
"I suppose. This is my first time, though. I skipped the other years- my guardians kind of insisted."

Shades of Gray
2010-10-19, 10:44 AM
Honoka Emi

"You haven't been to school before? Homeschooling I presume?" Emi asked with a doubtful expression on her face. She shrugged. "If you average us out then I guess we are third-year students."

Ben Pryce

Ben seemed to be unshaken. "Don't act like you're all hot stuff. You just got here, kid. Don't rock the spaceboat." He said as he closed his laptop. "Fine. 60/40. You get the latter."

Callos_DeTerran
2010-10-19, 11:16 AM
Shari

The southern girl gives a roll of her eyes, plopping her hat down on Kana's head, even as she shrugs.

"Good a thang as 'ny to do. 'sides, after that speech Ah feel like takin' a nice long sleep-cycle!" Shari says off-hand, giving one last wave back at the two new girls who had caught her eye before gently pushing Kana in the direction of their room.

Maybe she could get Kana to unpack for her somehow....

Neon Knight
2010-10-19, 11:21 AM
Immanuel Tager

Tager shrugged. "Tch. Fine. I'm taking a risk here too. If you get caught, I go down with you as an accomplice."

Purple Rose
2010-10-19, 03:59 PM
Kana

Kana laughs and fixes the hat on her head.

"I figure we won't be able to judge any of the newbies till we see them during actual combat training anyways. Besides, you need to help me unpack my stuff."

Shades of Gray
2010-10-21, 10:43 AM
Immanuel Tager

Tager shrugged. "Tch. Fine. I'm taking a risk here too. If you get caught, I go down with you as an accomplice."
Immanuel "Manny" Tager

"We won't get caught, trust me. I have connections." He knocked on the wall once more. "Inside the walls of this school I'm untouchable. And that makes you untouchable by association, count yourself lucky." Benjamin smiled. "If anything those damn fanclubbers are going to get the blame."

AmberVael
2010-10-21, 08:28 PM
Honoka Emi

"You haven't been to school before? Homeschooling I presume?" Emi asked with a doubtful expression on her face. She shrugged. "If you average us out then I guess we are third-year students."

"...something like that, yeah."
Alice says a bit shiftily. Still, she manages to keep a smile on her face, and flops backwards onto the bed. She felt more tired than she thought she should be... maybe it was just a bit of boredom and the warmth of a small room in a large, well populated space station.
She gives a small yawn.

Kasanip
2010-10-22, 11:50 AM
Shia

Shia was surprised the sudden leaving of Shari, but she turned to Lilya too.

"Shall we go see the room? I am a little curious of it." She asks.

Neon Knight
2010-10-22, 05:42 PM
Immanuel "Manny" Tager

"We won't get caught, trust me. I have connections." He knocked on the wall once more. "Inside the walls of this school I'm untouchable. And that makes you untouchable by association, count yourself lucky." Benjamin smiled. "If anything those damn fanclubbers are going to get the blame."

"What's this fan club, anyway?" Immanuel looked at his roommate with an only semi-interested expression.

Shades of Gray
2010-10-24, 09:36 PM
Alice Abel

"Tired?" Alice's ill roommate asked, sounding surprised. "A bit early for sleep, and that's coming from me." The pajama'd girl said as she rolled onto her stomach. "Maybe it's some sort of weird insomnia disorder..." She mused to herself quietly, but still audibly.

Immanuel Tager

"Essentially on the other side of the wall, Kana and Shari live. Those two just happen to be the most beautiful chicks at school by most counts. Whether this is true or not is hard to say." He lay back in his bed, taking a more relaxed appearance. "But the fan-club certainly thinks so. They hang out in one of the dorms, belonging to the leader, and they spend hours simply talking about those two. They've paid top dollar for anything those girls have touched."

Neon Knight
2010-10-26, 08:48 PM
"Tch. Pathetic." Immanuel dismisses the subject with a wave of his hand. "So, what is there to spend money on in this floating tin can?"

PhoeKun
2010-10-27, 08:39 AM
There is a long moment of silence while Lilya's brain attempts to recalibrate. What... what had just happened, exactly? It seemed positive, but it was all so... abrupt. Unannounced. Cryptic. Was it some sort of test? Had she passed?

Lilya is so lost in thought that she almost doesn't hear Shia's suggestion. The seconds tick by without a response, until suddenly she startles, looking at her new roommate with a modicum of embarrassment.

"Ah... yes! I would like to see, as well."

She takes a step forward, stopping when she realizes she's not exactly certain which direction she even needs to be heading. Fishing an informational pamphlet out of her jacket pocket, she refers to it liberally so as not to get lost on her way to the place she would be calling home from now on.

Kasanip
2010-10-29, 10:27 AM
Shia

Shia followed Lilya to the room. Absently she was looking at the station to remember it for later when they walked, but also to become used to the gravity. She could not jump like on the moon, or like in space. Maybe this was what earth was like. It's very heavy.

"Is this your first time to go to space?" Shia asked when they came to the room.

PhoeKun
2010-10-30, 09:52 PM
Lilya shakes her head in response to the question.

"No, this is first time I am here. I am very surprised by everything... is so very different. I did not think Earth would be so blue."

Arriving in the room, she takes a quick stock of things. Beds, chairs, desks, belongings (what few there were)... all check. She steps inside, hovers over a seat for a moment, and then sits down heavily. Another moment passes as she rocks her head from side to side, as if in thought. With a small shrug, she discards her jacket, tossing it onto the desk behind her. With her arms uncovered, Shia can now see a random crisscross of scars running up and down each one. Cuts, maybe burns from long ago and not so long ago adorn her pale skin like so many unwanted guests... she covers one of the larger ones with her hand.

"Do I be excited or nervous? I am not knowing which is best..."

Kasanip
2010-10-31, 06:54 AM
Shia

It was a nice room. Maybe a little big, Shia thought. But to have two people it would be ok. The bed looked comfortable. But the gravity was heavy. Would it be ok? Shia sat down on her bed and was swinging her legs idly. It bounced a little, but not like on the moon. She looked curiously at the scars of Lilya and thought.
It must be such a tattoo? Maybe an accident?

Yes... Earth is very pretty. Someday it would be nice to go I think." She agreed. "I'm also a little nervous and excited."

"Are you ok? Your arms look very painful. Is there no doctors anymore on earth?" she asked now, standing up again to look a little closer. She had her arms behind her back. Shia's own strange eyes and hair color looked a little different too perhaps. But Shia's concern is on the scars of Lilya. On the moon, of course advanced medicine would stop such a thing, she thinks.

PhoeKun
2010-11-08, 03:28 PM
"W-well..."

Lilya shrinks against her chair, hiding her arms behind her back as she looks meekly up at the other girl.

"There is doctors, but... I could not see them. If I go to them every time I have new cut or burn, there is no money for food. So, I am not having a choice. People say that I am ugly, but..."

She trails off, looking down at the floor. After a moment, she reaches for her jacket again, and puts it back on. It seemed strange to don it again so soon, but she didn't feel ready yet, after all. There is a hint of disappointment in her eyes when she finally looks back up again.

"I am sorry. I must be very distracting. I will try not to bother you..."

Kasanip
2010-11-11, 08:43 AM
Shia

Shia shook her head and made a rare smile.

"No it is ok. It looks painful, but I don't think it is ugly. You are very pretty." Shia wondered how people on Earth made a compliment. Maybe it was the same as on the moon? Earth Humans weren't so different like that, she thought.

"It must be expensive for a doctor. On the moon if you are hurt, a doctor will take care of you, so it is first time for me to see such an injury. I am sorry if I said something rude." She stood up and bowed her head and held her hands together like a gesture of apology.

She sat down on the bed again.

"But I don't think it is a problem. Many people stare at me too. I don't see anyone with gray hair, or eyes like me. Maybe it makes me unique." She smiled.
"So it is the same for you I think. Of course this is your room also, so please do not mind me."

Shades of Gray
2010-11-14, 11:20 AM
Thursday, January 5th, 2120. 7:00 AM - Wake-Up Call

The students are awoken by their alarm clocks, built into their desks. Enough detentions have been given out to tell the students that trying to get rid of the alarm is a no-go. New students are given directions to the cafeteria, a large round room directly under the dorms where two different meals are served three times a day. For a school cafeteria the food wasn't particularly good (nothing ever seemed fresh), but not the sludge that was portrayed in most cartoons.

After breakfast they are sent to their various classes.

Thursday, January 5th, 2120. 8:30 AM - First Period: World History

The old man who made the speech on the first day is the History teacher. Through his mouth, half-covered by a bushy mustache, thousands of students have been taught. Currently the subject of History is beginning of the Cold War. He speaks with a passion; history is the only course that he still teaches. The first day is merely an introduction and review, as well as a test that serves the purpose of seeing the class' understanding of the subject so far, it will not be marked.

"Oh, is it that time already?" He asks, surprised when the bell sounds. "Oh, alright, on to your next class." He says, seeming absent-minded. This was a man that enjoyed teaching.

Thursday January 5th, 2120. 10:00 AM - Second Period: Physics

Straight from Russian spies to the laws of momentum, Physics class begins. The teacher is a man in his 40s. He has a heavy German accent when he speaks, however formulae are formulae, so his course is not too difficult to understand despite his voice. He often ignores many questions from the students on purpose; he has zero tolerance for those who act out in his class. One joke or talking out of place gets you a detention. Shari likely learned this the hard way, and it is because of this that the two are not on good terms. His lesson ends exactly when the bell sounds, it's as if he timed these perfectly.

Thursday January 5th, 2120. 12:00 PM - Lunch

The students are dismissed to lunch, an hour and a half of freedom. Students can eat wherever they want, but the usual rules of "no boys in the girls' dorms" and vice-versa still apply. Today, to celebrate the first day back at school, the cafeteria is serving pizza and the dessert is delicious, delicious cake. Usually, however, they serve healthier options at lunch.

At one table sits Fleurette LeBeau, one of the more popular girls at the school, with her usual posse of two girls and two boys. Her four cronies are currently nodding silently to whatever ridiculous tale she is telling about her time back home in France. "And then I 'ad to make a choice between ze three garcons. It was tres mortifying, mon cheri." She says with some amount of drama. " 'ow is a fille supposed to choose?" She asks with a laugh. Her cronies all start laughing as well.

At another table Benjamin Pryce is sitting with four other guys, telling stories from their winter breaks. Most involve getting "so totally wasted".

It is only the beginning of lunch, so many tables are empty. In addition, all the teachers will still be in their classrooms, packing up their things. They will be around for the next ten minutes or so if any of the students have any questions or would like to talk to them.

Callos_DeTerran
2010-11-15, 11:03 PM
Shari

The sludge was a lie. Always it was the first thought to occur to the somewhat sleepy Southern belle whenever she woke up in the morning. Part of her always hoped that the cafeteria worker would slap a ladle-full of some mysterious substance on her tray, merely to make her school experience more like the ones shown on TV.

By the time she had finished eating, Shari had usually realized that actually being able to stomach her breakfast made up for missing the 'authentic' school experience that she might have otherwise had. Besides, she had good company in Kana, even if the presence of two of the 'pretty girls' meant most other people avoided their table. Kept Fleurette away though, that was always good too.

World History was actually a class that Shari found enjoyable. The topic was one that was set in stone (for the most part) and having an enthusiastic teacher meant that even her most random questions usually got an answer. Like how similar the Cold War was to the current situation of global affairs.

Always take the lessons from history to heart, otherwise be fated to repeat them.

She didn't know where she remembered that saying from, but it certainly seemed true! Maybe it was from some vid-drama. In either case, this was a class where the old guy's tendency to go on and on actually seemed useful, which was good since he seemed to have found his place in the universe. Shari spent it writing down what notes actually interested her and the other half doodling on her screen some funny image to pass on to every one else at lunch.

Roll for AWESOME DRAWING!
Skill [roll0]

Detention...again. Because the teacher was a hard-a** who couldn't take a joke to save his life. Shari hated physics..it just seemed so pointless to learn. None of it applied to piloting her mecha! Well...it did, but she didn't need to KNOW the physics in order to pilot! Besides, who actually timed their lecture?

But perhaps her detention was warranted. After all, she had leaped up atop her desk to begin ranting about the tyranny of his classroom and how he had been suppressing her right to voice her opinion. It had gotten her a couple of laughs though.

Fleurette. My arch-nemesis. Look at her...all smug with her mindless 'yes-men and women. Someone really needs to take that spoiled brat down a peg or two! Shari thinks to herself as she moodily picks the topping off of her pizza. Not that she wasn't going to eat the toppings, but she was compelled to take things apart when something was rankling her nerves.

"Kana, watch my back!" Shari mumbles quickly to her room-mate, standing up to stride over to Fleurette's table as a sickeningly sweet smile comes to her face.

"Well ya could have started by un-blindfoldin' them an untyin' the poor boys. The last un to try an' run from ya probably would have been a real keeper." Shari says sweetly as she approaches the French girl from behind, throwing out the verbal barb with remarkable casualness. "Lemme guess though, ya went an' tried ta keep them all? Yer daddy keep them in gilded cages for his little angel?"

Cunning, cause the French girl cannot be allowed to prospser!
[roll1]

PhoeKun
2010-11-17, 03:14 PM
Considering how important a day it was, it began with oddly little pomp. An alarm had sounded, and Lilya had quietly risen to shut it off. She stood in front of her bed for a moment as if trying to remember where she was, and with a shrug turned and began to dress herself. Enough care had gone into getting her uniform perfect that it left insufficient time to properly handle her hair and still make it to breakfast, forcing her to leave it in a messy, ruffled state. Every few steps she would hastily run her hand through it, trying to at least straighten it a little, but the blonde locks were having none of it. The score - Lilya: 0, Unprofessionalism: 1.

History class was certainly a... unique experience, to say the least. While attempting to take what she had believed to be an empty seat, she was quickly rebuffed by a classmate and informed that the seat in question was 'reserved' for someone more important. She had meekly apologized and ducked away into a different seat some ways away. In lieu of assigned seating, the concept of a reserved space seemed unusual to her... it seemed like there would be more for her to learn than she had originally hoped. And quickly, too, if she wanted to avoid a fight. Perhaps she was imagining it, but it seemed as though a faint air of hostility had built up in the room around her as the lecture went on. And, while she dared not raise her hand on the very first day to question a teacher, she was absolutely certain that the things he was saying were not the things that she had been taught. Similar, and yet... so very much wrong. It baffled her.

If history had confused the new student, physics was in no rush to bring her back up to speed. Formulae may be formulae, but the subject held so little practical value to her that even setting aside her natural lack of aptitude for the subject it was difficult to keep on top of things. She watched in puzzlement, and then shock as questions went ignored, as outbursts were disciplined. As the bell rang, Lilya held her head on one hand and was slow to stand and shuffle out the door. This room, she was certain, would become one of her demons.

Of course, not every surprise the day had in store for her was unpleasant. Lunchtime finds her seated quietly and staring at the food in front of her. She'd heard of pizza, of course, but never seen it. Certainly hadn't eaten it. And yet there it was, against all odds (which odds those were is another mystery entirely), a warm and pleasant welcome gift from a far off land. She looks around her and watches the other students eating before at last partaking of her own. A smile creeps its way across her lips.

This is school. This is nice...

Purple Rose
2010-11-18, 10:24 PM
Kana

Augh! The worst time of the day. -_- Getting out of bed was always a hassle, though Kana was very skilled at hitting her alarm clock considering she was blind. She took... a certain pleasure in silencing her loud menace. Unfortunately, after last year, she wouldn't be disabling it again. The extra sleep she got was not worth the many detentions she had earned fooling around with the clock.

Breakfast was... as wonderful as she had remembered it. Certainly not the four star meals she used to wake up to at home. But then, she didn't particularly like those either. Maybe they would have sugary cereal some day.

World History. Kana liked this class. One cannot become a hero of justice unless one learns of the mistakes and triumphs of the past. And nothing typifies both of these more, perhaps, than the cold war. Kana wonders what difference it would have made to have had a hero back then. Somebody to unite the world during a time when it was being pulled apart so starkly. But alas, the period ended and off she went to physics.

Kana had gotten all the physics education she needed as a child, courtesy of some expensive private tutors. To all watching, she sat in rapt attention, her arms folded across her chest and her eyes locked on the teacher from behind those red shades of hers. Of course, she was sound asleep.

She had been called out on this the previous year and had responded by lowering her shades, revealing her pale, sightless eyes, and asking if she needed to watch the board or would be okay just listening. She had been able to perfectly answer the problem the teacher had been demonstrating and had not been awake for one of his classes since.

Lunch... Pizza and treats... The only thing that could ruin this was if her roommate dragged her into a conflict with the "southern belle's" rival....

>.<

She takes a few more bites of her meal before rising to follow the girl. She crosses her arms and quirks her best self assured smile (which is to say a very very good one) and stands behind her ally, looking imposing and all.

Skill to exude confidence and imposition: [roll0]

Kasanip
2010-11-24, 08:32 AM
Shia

Shia fell out of the bed. Earth gravity is painful she decides. Trying again, she lands on her feet like an acrobat.
Breakfast was good. It was very similar to normal food at the last Academy she was at.

Always to learn something new is interesting, Shia thinks. She does not know very much of Earth History, so she takes notes very strongly during this class. Being very studious with a serious expression, this is the atmosphere she seems to have. But Earth history is very dark, she thinks. Looking at her notes about war, it seems very long already, and it is the first day! Shia wondered if the students here were also dangerous like their past.

Being a military school, she reminded herself, of course it was. Maybe that was why she was here- to make the Moon fit in more? But Moon History did not have wars. Or they never talked about them. Maybe it was Earth's fault for this. Why was she here? Shia remembered the training she had before, but some of it was hard to remember.

This is an easy class. Of course this kind of subject they learn on the moon when an elementary school student. Shia can answer any of these questions with only a small thought. She could do it upside-down or in no gravity. But her serious expression and superior feeling maybe makes a few classmates nervous.

Skill (To be Cool): [roll0]

Shia seems to stand out despite her silent attitude. It is of course, her hair, eyes, and uniform difference. But her eyes give a sharp feeling if she looks mildly at someone, so it is that perhaps there is some gossip about her. With a small sigh, she sits down alone. There was a girl who spoke some strange dialect. And now the other girl with a strange dialect also was to have an argument. Was it one of those wars on Earth? The history class made it seem like such a dangerous place.

Maybe she should do something to stop it? Shia thought this absently. Ah, but in Earth gravity, maybe she would have difficulty to stop such a fight. On the moon it was easy to separate such people.

Lunch seemed to be a good time for an incident.

(ooc: can a "Random Event" be made? I want to see something happen (^^;; ) ) [roll1] of Favor point and [roll2]