PDA

View Full Version : 3.x Wizards+ Familiars +Permanency

EvilJames
2010-10-09, 01:41 AM
Ok so I have a Gnome Archivist/Wizard/Fleshwarper with a Medium sized centipede familiar and I figure it's time to buff him up with greater magic fang + a few other spells now my question is if I cast Greater magic fang so it affects both of us can I then do the same with Permanency, and if I can, do I only pay the exp cost once or do I have to pay it twice even though I'm only casting it once?

Eloel
2010-10-09, 01:57 AM
Permanency is cast on the spell, and not the creatures.
There will inevitably be 2 ways of thinking here.
1- The spell you are permanencying is a single spell effecting 2 creatures.
2- The spell you are permanencying is a spell split into 2, effectively being 2 spells.

Which one of those is the case is, afaik, not RAW, when it comes to familiars. Thus the discussion about whether Dispel Magic kills the whole spell or just the targeted one in familiar/wizard combo.

EvilJames
2010-10-09, 09:43 AM
So this is something I'll need to get my DM's thoughts on. It would save me some XP if he agree's with the former and not the latter.

Quietus
2010-10-09, 10:21 AM
Do note that it's only shared if you're within 5 feet of your familiar. Soon as that distance is broken, the shared spell breaks on the "piggybacking" recipient.

EvilJames
2010-10-12, 11:28 AM
Oops you are correct. I guess that pretty much makes the question moot. Casting it twice it is then.