2010-10-09, 06:48 AM
They ARE dangerous! RUN!!!

http://www.wivb.com/dpp/news/erie/Workers-trapped-in-collapsed-gazebo

Siegel
2010-10-09, 07:03 AM
The dreaded Gazebo strikes again !

Morph Bark
2010-10-09, 07:32 AM
Good thing it did not have spikes, or those workers would have been in a... dire situation.

Lev
2010-10-09, 07:58 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eric_and_the_Gazebo

ashmanonar
2010-10-09, 08:36 AM
Good thing it did not have spikes, or those workers would have been in a... dire situation.

http://www.freshdv.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/09/csi_miami_caruso_lines.png

YEEEEAAAAAAAAHHHH!

Paladineyddi
2010-10-09, 09:18 AM
There will come a day when the gazebo's will attack and we will all be either slaves or dead and the nerds are the only ones who saw it coming

Thurbane
2010-10-10, 02:22 AM
I always throught the whole gazebo thing was that someone mixed the name up with glabrezu (http://dndsrd.net/monstersDtoDe.html#glabrezu-demon)?

Maerok
2010-10-10, 02:28 AM
I didn't know it had Improved Grab!

Shenanigans
2010-10-10, 02:42 AM
I didn't know it had Improved Grab!Only the dreaded Tonawanda subspecies of Gazebo has it. :)

Telonius
2010-10-10, 03:51 PM
Only the dreaded Tonawanda subspecies of Gazebo has it. :)

Given the toughness that Tonawanda gazebos require to survive the harsh winters, it doesn't surprise me. (I think they appear in Frostburn, don't they?)

Cieyrin
2010-10-10, 04:06 PM
I always throught the whole gazebo thing was that someone mixed the name up with glabrezu (http://dndsrd.net/monstersDtoDe.html#glabrezu-demon)?

It's actually in reference to an old Knights of the Dinner Table strip about the party having encountered a gazebo and, being trigger happy adventurers who assume it's some monster and not a structure, trying to take it out and finding it to be much more durable than expected.

At least, that's how it was popularized, if not the original source.

herrhauptmann
2010-10-10, 04:08 PM
But knights of the dinner table are referencing an older story, Eric and the Gazebo.
Someone's already linked it I believe.
edit:
I think the story I prefer for gaming legend is probably the Head of Vecna though. Partly just because the party ended up killing one another for it.
But the Gazebo, and Lanky's "Worst Dm ever," and Tuckers Kobolds are all awesome.

Starbuck_II
2010-10-10, 04:24 PM
But knights of the dinner table are referencing an older story, Eric and the Gazebo.
edit:
I think the story I prefer for gaming legend is probably the Head of Vecna though. Partly just because the party ended up killing one another for it.
But the Gazebo, and Lanky's "Worst Dm ever," and Tuckers Kobolds are all awesome.

Well, except for Lanky as he was almost killed in hisw second story. So I doubt he found it awesome. But yeah, it was a good reason.

The Glyphstone
2010-10-10, 04:31 PM
Well, except for Lanky as he was almost killed in hisw second story. So I doubt he found it awesome. But yeah, it was a good reason.

Third story, technically. Second story was the imposter.

Thurbane
2010-10-10, 04:34 PM
Hmm, maybe I just assumed the gazebo/glabrezu confusion then...

Starbuck_II
2010-10-10, 04:36 PM
Third story, technically. Second story was the imposter.

Oh, right. I confuse those two.
Has Lanky write a fourth yet?
First was bad DM
Second was Imposter.
third was girlfriend and new friend fight dealing a game session.

The Glyphstone
2010-10-10, 04:41 PM
Lanky hasn't logged on in...a long time. I can't even find him on the Members list.

Kaun
2010-10-10, 04:45 PM
I think i missed Lanky's third story, does anybody have a link?

Thrawn183
2010-10-10, 04:47 PM
I love that the comments on the story mention the gazebo encounter.

Starbuck_II
2010-10-10, 04:50 PM
I think i missed Lanky's third story, does anybody have a link?

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=95189

Back to Gazebo:
I wonder how many Gazebos hurt people each year.

herrhauptmann
2010-10-10, 05:36 PM
Most of them are probably hurt during construction of the gazebos.

I'd lash out at the guy hammering nails into me, wouldn't you?

Kaun
2010-10-10, 06:16 PM
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=95189

Back to Gazebo:
I wonder how many Gazebos hurt people each year.

Wow how did i miss that one.

avr
2010-10-10, 08:35 PM
There's a number of people in the UK who go to hospital due to injuries caused by tea cosies - each year. Gazebos have to be more dangerous.

herrhauptmann
2010-10-10, 08:56 PM
There's a number of people in the UK who go to hospital due to injuries caused by tea cosies - each year. Gazebos have to be more dangerous.

Supposedly, of all household appliances, the one that puts people in the ER the most often, is the vacuum. For eyeball related injuries.
Bob: "The vacuum seems to be clogged, lemme see if I can see the problem." Looks straight into vacuum hose while trying to angle more light into the nozzle.
Mary: "Anything?"
Bob: "not yet."
Mary: "Keep checking. How about if I put it in reverse?"

Lhurgyof
2010-10-10, 11:36 PM
I don't believe I've ever read the second story, link?

And oh boy... Our family friend got a Gazebo. Haven't been there since.

ToySoldierCPlus
2010-10-11, 01:22 AM
Link to second story: In which the worst session comes back to haunt him. Sort of. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=93633) You know, I'll be honest. The way he handled the worst session and its aftermath, and the way he handled this, I'm really impressed with. He was a lot more calm about all of it than I would have been. But the third part irks me, because it could have been avoided if he had just thought, "Hmm, my girlfriend doesn't like it when I flirt with other girls, even in the context of a roleplaying game, maybe I shouldn't do that when she's around." As far as I'm concerned, he definitely deserved a slapping (though never a stabbing) after that one, but this is off-topic.

On-topic: Eric and the Dread Gazebo was one of the first D&D Legends I ever heard. It's arbitrarily my favorite. I'll actually point out gazebos and warn people to be careful around them, basically acting like Durkon does around trees, just because of how much I like the story.

Jan Mattys
2010-10-11, 02:48 AM
Most of them are probably hurt during construction of the gazebos.

I'd lash out at the guy hammering nails into me, wouldn't you?

So, Gazebos are Constructs now?
:smallbiggrin:

Starbuck_II
2010-10-11, 08:15 AM
So, Gazebos are Constructs now?
:smallbiggrin:

Yes, but more like natural animated objects: they have Hardness (instead of DR).
Which is why the arrow did nothing. :smallbiggrin:

herrhauptmann
2010-10-11, 03:44 PM
Yes, but more like natural animated objects: they have Hardness (instead of DR).
Which is why the arrow did nothing. :smallbiggrin:
Yup, hardness 21+ due to repeated castings of any number of transmutation spells. (I forget which ones raises hardness of metal/wood).
Thought that your adamant shortsword or dagger was a canopener you could hide to get yourself out of anything?? HaHAH! Not anymore. Good luck dealing enough damage to hurt it.

Cieyrin
2010-10-11, 03:54 PM
Yup, hardness 21+ due to repeated castings of any number of transmutation spells. (I forget which ones raises hardness of metal/wood).
Thought that your adamant shortsword or dagger was a canopener you could hide to get yourself out of anything?? HaHAH! Not anymore. Good luck dealing enough damage to hurt it.

This is why you build your sunder monkeys with Sense Weakness, so you can reduce and then pierce hardnesses up to 24 with your standard adamantine implement of sequence breaking. :smallbiggrin:

herrhauptmann
2010-10-11, 03:56 PM
This is why you build your sunder monkeys with Sense Weakness, so you can reduce and then pierce hardnesses up to 24 with your standard adamantine implement of sequence breaking. :smallbiggrin:

No worries, a single extra casting of that spell boosts hardness by another 1/ 3CL or something along those lines. Doesn't have a high material costs or drain xp, and it's a duration "instantaneous" so Id on't even think it can be dispelled.

What/where is 'sense weakness'?

Ormur
2010-10-11, 04:03 PM
I remember playing SimCity 3000 as a kid and wondering what the heck those Gazebo's that popped up in wealthy neighbourhoods were.

Good thing I looked them up before I started playing D&D.

Cieyrin
2010-10-11, 04:29 PM
No worries, a single extra casting of that spell boosts hardness by another 1/ 3CL or something along those lines. Doesn't have a high material costs or drain xp, and it's a duration "instantaneous" so Id on't even think it can be dispelled.

What/where is 'sense weakness'?

I'd have linked from Realms Help but I can't get there for some reason...

Anyways, Sense Weakness is from the Draconomicon and allows you to ignore 5 points of hardness or DR. I remember it requires Combat Expertise and I think perhaps Weapon Focus and you have to use said weapon to use Sense Weakness but I can't say for sure right now, since I'm AFB and, since I can't get at RealmsHelps for whatever reason...:smallfurious:

Asheram
2010-10-11, 04:42 PM
edit:

Ah.. the infamous Head of Vecna. (Some things just can't be explained away with "it's magic" They weren't thinking with their heads there.)
Anyhow, if memory serves me right, there were atleast three deaths involved with that one, all of them self-inflicted.

herrhauptmann
2010-10-11, 05:27 PM
Ah.. the infamous Head of Vecna. (Some things just can't be explained away with "it's magic" They weren't thinking with their heads there.)
Anyhow, if memory serves me right, there were atleast three deaths involved with that one, all of them self-inflicted.

Wasn't it also held on April 1st as well?

Cieyrin: No worries on not linking. I'm inclined to think that teh giant wouldn't want us linking to there, just like he doesn't want us linking to C*****l K**p with all the compilation pdf's.
Thanks for the info too, I now have one more thing I can use for my sunderers.

Kris Strife
2010-10-11, 05:39 PM
Uh... With the Lanky Bugger stories... Was the stabbing done by the same girlfriend he said this about?

Yeah, so if my bloated corpse shows up in a Toronto sewer, it's probably about a 50/50 shot that this guy or my girlfriend did it. For the record.

I mean, Tammy alone is enough to cause some some consternation. If Nadine flirts with me even half as much, my girlfriend is going to freaking kill me.

And Kuruld... Please, for the love of God, don't! Tempting Fate like that is just begging for it. Do not tempt her, lest she strike me down!

Cieyrin
2010-10-11, 06:03 PM
Cieyrin: No worries on not linking. I'm inclined to think that teh giant wouldn't want us linking to there, just like he doesn't want us linking to C*****l K**p with all the compilation pdf's.
Thanks for the info too, I now have one more thing I can use for my sunderers.

No prob. Also, Realms Helps is back and I confirmed the Weapon Focus bit is actually there. So, kind of annoying that you need to specialize but, otherwise, still rather nice. Just grab an adamantine Goliath Greathammer and go forth to breaking down adamantine doors everywhere! :smallbiggrin:

grarrrg
2010-10-11, 08:14 PM
There will come a day when the gazebo's will attack and we will all be either slaves or dead and the nerds are the only ones who saw it coming

Slaves or dead?

Dude... We have FLAMETHROWERS! They may get some of us, but they sure as heck ain't getting us all.

ToySoldierCPlus
2010-10-11, 09:32 PM
Uh... With the Lanky Bugger stories... Was the stabbing done by the same girlfriend he said this about?

I do believe it was. Which is why, like I said, he lost a lot of points with the stabbing with me, because he knew it was going to be a problem, and he did it anyway. But, once again, my opinion, no bearing, blah blah, off-topic, blah.