PDA

View Full Version : chronotherapy in the playground?

nihilism
2010-10-09, 11:09 AM
well here i am again in the state of depressing isolation and constant minor sleep deprivation known as chronotherapy. basically when you screw up your sleep cycle and cant fix it you reset everything by advancing forward around the clock.

right now im in the worst part. up all night, asleep all day. the nights are horribly isolating boring and i never sleep enough during the day. nothing to do to tired and depressed to do much work, not much to do apart from work. I can never concentrate on reading and im bored as hell.

i had some friends stay 2 nights ago and played d&d until they fell asleep at the table which was fun and its nice going for walks at 5 am, but mostly its just mind numbingly depressing, isolating and boring

any other chronotherapyers in the playground? any tips for sleeping during the day? stuff to do?

IthroZada
2010-10-09, 11:16 AM
I've wound up in the same position, I even got it fixed until last friday when I stayed up for a game of D&D, so right now I am staying up until I collapse. Basically fixing my schedule through sleep deprivation.

Eldan
2010-10-09, 01:23 PM
During pretty much all holidays, I end up going to bed at 5am and then sleeping all day. It just happens.
However, I don't try moving around the clock, I go for shock therapy: staying awake for 30+ hours, then going to bed on time before midnight.

Zeofar
2010-10-09, 03:01 PM
Wow... It seems pretty sucky to be absolutely stuck like that. I hope that you can get back to a better cycle at stick with it.
As for things to do? Well, if reading/playing single player games is boring and you're really craving personal attention, you could try social games like MMORPG's, or team-based games like Team Fortress 2 and you'll be pretty much guaranteed to have some sort of interaction with someone. I know at least one chronic insomniac that seems to enjoy TF2 quite a bit. A microphone would probably help as well. There's almost always some number of people playing online on Magic Workstation if you like Magic: The Gathering. You could try joining a live online tabletop game with people living in Australia or Europe, but that might be a bit troublesome since you're trying to move on from that cycle. Chatroullete and Omegle are options... But you'll be getting some weird requests, in all likelihood.

shadow_archmagi
2010-10-10, 08:26 AM
Yeah, TF2 is great for when you're all alone.

MST3K is also good for that.

Forevernade
2010-10-10, 04:30 PM
Why are you drawing it out, and not just staying up until your new bedtime? I presume you have already tried doing that, and still don't sleep, then end up being epic tired and epic crash at some random time throughout the day?

snoopy13a
2010-10-10, 09:08 PM
Whenever my sleep schedule went off gradually and I found I wasn't getting to bed until 4 AM or so, I'd just pull an all-night and stay up until 10 PM the next day.

nihilism
2010-10-11, 07:52 AM
staying up all night never works staying up for 2 days just becomes staying up for a third day. it only works gradually.

well getting closer 1 pm today and its great when its over

2010-10-11, 06:33 PM
videogames: something addictive, preferably turn based (the C word works well)

walking at five AM is shiny

Extra_Crispy
2010-10-12, 01:36 AM
I kinda do something like this multiple times a week. I work nights 12 hour shifts, but only 3 days a week. To be able to get things done during the day I have to switch my sleep schedule multiple times. I usually try to work monday, tuesday, and friday nights so sunday I go to sleep at about 12 am get up around 9 am monday, take a nap from 2-5, to be to work by 7pm Monday. Get home Tuesday usually around 7:45 am, in bed by 9, sleep till 5, back to work by 7pm. Get home Wednesday around 7:45 again, take a nap at 9 or 10 for 3-4 hours, stay up the rest of the day (even run an evening game) then go to bed about 11 or 12. get up at 9am Thursday and do what I need to do during the days. Friday is like monday, and Saturday is like wednesday except that I am usually up saturday till 2 am or later and sleep ill 10 am on sunday.

Repeat week after week. So used to it now I think my circadian rythem has just decided to give up and forget about trying to force sleep times on me.

hobbitkniver
2010-10-13, 08:59 PM
I got the nastiest case of this during summer. The way I fixed it was by having someone relentlessly bother me in the morning to keep me up like no alarm can and after a while, you'll be so pooped at night from so little sleep that you'll be forced to fall asleep at night.