PDA

View Full Version : Bone Knight

Socko525
2010-10-09, 11:13 AM
Alright so my decision has been made and I am officially going to be making a paladin of tyranny(perhaps a different neutral variant, but will still have the paladon of tyranny class features) 4/bone knight 1
Ability scores(due to my DMs crazy rolling roles)
Str 17
Dex 13
Con 24
Int 11
Wis 17
Chs 24(23+1 from lvl 4)

Here's where I need help:
Feats:
1-(mercantile background? Perhaps dreadful wrath?)
Human-power attack
Flaw-divine might
Flaw-divine shield?
Lvl 3-?

My role in the group is going to be tank/melee, so I was thinking of using a greatsword. I'll have a bonecraft full plate as well. If I went mercantile background I was possibly thinking of getting an animated tower shield to help boost my AC, which may lead to me not needing divine shield as a feat(unless I'd want a ridiculous 30 AC while its active, although not a bad decision)

I'm going to need to be either LN, CN, or NN because we have a CG character in the group and the DM is pretty strict when it comes to alignments.

I've considered going LN and then taking law devotion to get an additional boost to attack/AC. At level 6 I'll be gaining a skeletal mount so there is also the possibility of mounted combat feats. Also since power attack is a requirement for divine might, it opens up the option for cleave/great cleave. I won't have much in the way of spell casting, at least spells per day and options-wise(although I am going to be getting a copy of the spell compendium, so perhaps I'll have more options than I think) but Battle blessing may be a nice touch.

As far as class advancement, I have been toying between the divine crusader prc or the ordained champion of hextor prc. With OC I can worship Hextor but still maintain a neutral alginment, and that would give me access to the war domain, and will mean I'll need to take a feat for weapon focus (heavy flail). Divine crusader means I have to be the same alignment as my diety, and I get to pick a domain and gain those spells and domain ability. I would probably go for something with the wrath domain bc of the domain ability it grants. And again I would need weapon focus (diety's favored weapon) I have toyed back and forth of being LE and dipping one level in each class but it would a pretty big hassle roleplaying-wise from my DM to justify me being a LE cxharacter and traveling with a CG aasimar cleric.

Anyway sorry this description is so long, I can never seem to make these things short. Anyway I'm open for any suggestions/feedback so let me know!
Thanks

Snake-Aes
2010-10-09, 11:21 AM
Battle Blessing is Righteous Crack.
Cleave and Great cleave only see non-farfetched use if you are fighting swarms of weak mobs.It's fun but by the time you can behead 8 kobolds with 1 sing, you don't really need it.
And...take a feat? Don't the war domain give you the feat? Or maybe i'm thinking backwards here?

Greenish
2010-10-09, 11:40 AM
I think you're not proficient with Tower Shield. Anyhow, with that huge charisma, I would really consider Divine Shield + Parrying Shield or Shield Ward combo if you're going to use a shield. Parrying Shield (LoM) adds your shield AC to touch AC, Shield Ward (PHBII) does the same and also gives you a bonus to resist trips, grapples and other combat maneuvers equal to your shield AC. Shield Ward requires Shield Specialization as a prerequisite though.

Notice that even without mounted combat feats, a lance still deals double damage on charge. Slap Smite on that and you have a nice alpha strike.

Socko525
2010-10-09, 01:13 PM
Sorry for the confusion-youre right war does give you the weapon proficiency, and weapon focus for your diety's favored weapon, although I thought that was a pre-req for ordained champion. If you have the war domain I think it gives you another one and I believe spontaneous casting for that domain. I'll have to double check that when I get home. Also good advice on cleave, I didn't think about it that way. Usually I'm always wishing for cleave at low levels, but never have it.

And as far as tower shield's I believe bone knight gives you proficiency with tower shields. If I can get an animated shield early, still use a greatsword and rack up those shield feats, I'd be fairly unhittable.

Guess I've got a few things to think about. Any other ideas/feat combos are welcome! I though of persistent spell and DMM persist but i didn't come across too many spells that it would be useful for. I'm sure there's some great combinations out there, I just haven't found one yet

EDIT: I also thought if I'm looking for feats, perhaps tomb tainted soul to make use of the deadly touch ability(from paladin of tyranny). I've also toyed with heavy armor optimization, but I figure its not worth a feat for +1 AC.

true_shinken
2010-10-09, 01:20 PM
Battle Blessing is Righteous Crack.

That was awesome.

Greenish
2010-10-09, 02:07 PM
Sorry for the confusion-youre right war does give you the weapon proficiency, and weapon focus for your diety's favored weapon, although I thought that was a pre-req for ordained champion.WF for your deity's favoured weapon is the requirement for OC.

If you have War domain when you enter OC, you gain another of your deity's domains, and spontaneous casting from the war domain.

Susano-wo
2010-10-09, 05:40 PM
If there is a way to syphon stats into your dex, having a +2 or 3 dex mod, combat reflexes, and stand still, is pretty nice for tanking, in the sense that MMO's use it. If you mean big tough guy who keeps foes busy by hitting them with his kill stick, then you can disregard that :P