PDA

View Full Version : Confused about how two feats would work together

randomhero00
2010-10-09, 01:17 PM
If I already have romilar's gambit (make AoOs anytime I'm attacked) is it pointless to get close quarters fighting (make AoOs anytime I'm grappled and add damage to DC to grapple me)...? If I make an AoO during a grapple attack wouldn't I already add the damage to the DC? (I always get confused on how grappling works exactly...)

Reis Tahlen
2010-10-09, 01:31 PM
If I'm not mistaken, a grappling fails if the grappler takes even 1 damage during the grappling attempt.

Snake-Aes
2010-10-09, 01:34 PM
1) Grapplers that take damage on their touch attacks (the bit that provokes AoO) fail if they take damage from the AoO.
They alleviate this by eliminating AoOs with Improved Grapple. Close-quarters Combat puts the AoO back there, and those who have Imp Grapple now provoke anyway, and their grapple check is penalized based on the damage

2) Robilar triggers on any incoming attack when it is active.
While grapplers normally provoke AoOs, Robilar should trigger on the necessary touch attack even if the person has Improved Grapple. This is because Robilar states that any time you are attacked you get an AoO. This does not distinguish between different attacks. As long as it is an attack it will trigger the AoO.
(Technically this isn't even restricted to melee. The wiz that used scorching ray on you from 30' away has just provoked a Robilar AoO).

It is unclear how they should interact. My personal choice would be to simply not let them stack at all.

randomhero00
2010-10-09, 01:46 PM
I'm not asking if they stack...I wouldn't get 2 AoOs anyways, can't for the same action. I just want to know if close quarters fighting is needed if I already have romilar's gambit. It sounds like its not needed.

Kaww
2010-10-09, 02:10 PM
It isn't. You can't attack the grappler again. And you have an AoO anyhow.

Snake-Aes
2010-10-09, 02:11 PM
I'm not asking if they stack...I wouldn't get 2 AoOs anyways, can't for the same action. I just want to know if close quarters fighting is needed if I already have romilar's gambit. It sounds like its not needed.

Robilar covers it, yeah. As I said in 2, the only trigger for a Robilar AoO is an attack.
Not a weapon attack. Not a melee attack. Not an attack made by monsters with the extraplanar subtype. Not a ranged touch attack caused by disintegrates cast by Mel Gibson. Just attacks. If it qualifies as an attack, Robilar can poke it.
Since grapples start with a touch attack, they trigger Robilar.

randomhero00
2010-10-09, 02:20 PM
Not a ranged touch attack caused by disintegrates cast by Mel Gibson.

lol

ten more characters