PDA

View Full Version : d20 Modern in Pre-Modern settings

Jimmy Corrigan
2010-10-09, 01:54 PM
This is my first post on the forums- I'm a fan of the comic and have done some lurking, and this seemed like the friendliest/most knowledge community to pose my question to.

In one of the gaming article, Rich comes up with the idea of modifying d20 modern for a low-magic fantasy setting. Has anyone here tried this? It's something I'm interested in doing for a campaign, but I have limited experience with tabletop games (mostly 3.5 D&D) and my experience with d20 modern has been a less-than-successful attempt to run a zombie apocalypse scenario with a friend of mine (which failed for reasons independent of the system) and playing in a Star Wars campaign (the system seems like it's d20 modern with sufficiently advance technology and the force, which suggests that the system is somewhat malleable).

Any thoughts? Is this a good idea, or are there better ways to run a low-magic fantasy campaign?

Urpriest
2010-10-09, 01:57 PM
d20 Past already exists. It's a fun system, and while it doesn't quite run into the low medieval, it can do a decent low-magic musketeer era campaign, for example.

Rappy
2010-10-09, 03:04 PM
Urban Arcana has most of your archaic arms and armor needs fulfilled, and also has most of the races you'd need for your low fantasy. It also has some good advanced classes for such a campaign. Since it's in the MSRD, you thankfully don't have to go out and buy it unless you want it for the D&D to d20 Modern conversion chapter, which isn't hugely special.

The third party book Blood and Time might also interest you. While mostly about time travel, it also has a lot of historical items from the Stone Age to the Industrial Revolution.