PDA

View Full Version : Fatigue Syndrome and I

KenderWizard
2010-10-09, 02:41 PM
I have a fatigue syndrome, and I'm really really really bored and tired. I'm getting better, which is why I'm typing instead of lying in bed, but I'm getting better really slowly, and I keep missing things.

I've just started third year at college, finally doing a subject I love full time (Geology). The start of the year was a field trip for all the third years to an island off the coast of Scotland, which cost no inconsiderable amount of money, and which I went on. Out of the 8 field days, I completed only the first, and it was the revision day, so I learned nothing new. The second day I was at the doctor's, the third and fourth days I stayed in the remote hostel by myself to rest, the fifth day I was left at a ferry terminal on the island and made my own way home through Scotland back to Ireland. The sixth day I spent in hospital, then I stayed in my parent's house, resting.

Now I'm well enough to have moved to my own apartment in Dublin, but not really well enough to do anything. The first day of classes, I got up and went to class, but I was completely exhausted by the effort by the time I arrived at the door of the lab, and I had to go home after an hour.

Has anyone been here before? Apparently fatigue syndrome is quite common, especially after glandular fever, but also after other viral infections.

Apparently I have been here before, when I was four, but my four-year-old self quite enjoyed skipping school, quickly caught up on the key colouring-between-the-lines and reciting-the-alphabet core modules she'd missed, and casually blew off concerns that she'd have to make up enough credits to pass the year. She's not helping.

Does anyone have any advice? Horror stories? Tricks for telepathic learning? Is telepathic learning an exertion? If it is I probably don't have the energy for it... Zzzzzz....

WarKitty
2010-10-09, 03:15 PM
See if you can get lectures recorded for you?

Haruki-kun
2010-10-09, 03:43 PM
Talk to your teachers. See if they can upload the material to the internet. That's what I usually ask them for, anyway.

Willis888
2010-10-09, 05:16 PM
One of my friends has Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (not sure if it is the same thing?). To me it seems as if he meditates 15 minutes out of every hour, but I don't really keep tabs on him so it might not be that much. Once or twice a day I'll cover his phone calls while he takes a 15-30 minute power nap.

At meetings he'll lay down on a yoga mat, alert but prone with his eyes closed. Maybe if you talked to your professors they would let you do something similar during lectures?

I see him riding a bike from time to time, and assume getting some amount of exercise is important. You might want to talk to a doctor about healthy ways to increase your energy levels. There is a university-sponsored support group in my area where people with the syndrome share techniques - there may be one in your area too.

happyturtle
2010-10-09, 05:41 PM
Try here (http://www.cfidsselfhelp.org/library). I really really really hope for you that it's just a temporary post viral fatigue and not full blown CFS/ME. The most important thing you can do for yourself is rest a lot. Don't use your full energy in the day because your body needs some reserves for healing and recovery. If it is CFS/ME, there is research that suggests that the people who have the worst odds of recovery are the ones who push themselves too much in the early stages of the illness.

For CFS/ME, exercise can actually be harmful, so definitely don't do that unless you have a doctor's okay. Basically, treat your body with excessive gentleness and care, even if it means housework doesn't get done or grades fall, because your body has to last you your whole life.

bluewind95
2010-10-09, 07:13 PM
I don't have a fatigue syndrome per se, but I do have a chronic (... and progressive...) condition that, among other things, causes me real nasty fatigue.

For advice, I guess that the best thing is to know your limits. If you try going beyond them... well... you'll suffer for it.

Mercenary Pen
2010-10-09, 07:51 PM
One of my sisters has had chronic fatigue syndrome for a few years now... Problem is that there's not enough known about it, nor is there a cure... It simply clears up when and if it chooses to, and without us simple human beings having any idea why...

My sister's doing a good job of getting exercise when she's able to, but the time's she pushes herself slightly too hard or goes on with something for slightly too long, she ends up paying for it for longer than I could've ever imagined possible before she came down with it (which was getting on for five years ago now). She has now recovered to the point that, rather than needing a wheelchair, she now uses a seated walker to get around the house, and can stay upright for short periods with even less support than that.

Aidan305
2010-10-10, 06:01 AM
My condolences, I know exactly what you're going through having been going through it myself since childhood. Firstly, make sure that all of your lecturer's know about your condition. I would also suggest going to the disability office as well with a letter from your consultant to explain the situation to them. If they know about it they can work to help you out, especially in terms of things like exam provisions.

Secondly, try and get some rest during the day, sitting around doing very little or even getting a nap in is a good way of keeping your energy levels up so that you can finish off the day alright without collapsing completely.

As Bluewind said, learn your limits and don't try to go beyond them. Staying up all night to finish an essay is a no-no unless you'd like to spend the next week unable to do anything. Learn to manage your time efficiently and effectively. It's difficult, because sometimes you can't do things you were going to because you don't have the energy, but if you try to keep to a rough schedule then life will become much easier.

KenderWizard
2010-10-10, 09:12 AM
Thanks, everyone!

Mostly I'm just staying at home and resting a lot. I went to one class on the first day, but I knew that I couldn't do more, so I went home and went to bed. I should have a doctor's note on Monday, so I know I won't get in trouble or anything for missing all the classes, I'm just worried about having to play catch-up afterwards when I'm better again.

The doctor didn't seem worried about a chronic fatigue thing, he was more worried that it was actually a heart condition that looked like a fatigue syndrome, so I got lots and lots of tests and that was all clear.

He said it would be a few weeks before I was completely better. I know it's hard to tell but it feels like I'm barely making any progress at all. I guess I just have to be patient.

Aidan305
2010-10-10, 10:17 AM
He said it would be a few weeks before I was completely better. I know it's hard to tell but it feels like I'm barely making any progress at all. I guess I just have to be patient.

That's good to hear. Good luck with the recovery.

Kislath
2010-10-10, 11:39 AM
I thought that I had this, but it turned out to simply be the effects of sleep apnea. One CPAP machine later, I'm fine.