PDA

View Full Version : Did they ever figure out Haley's code?

Doomboy911
2010-10-09, 04:12 PM
When that hotel blew up and Haley started speaking in code did anyone figure out a translation for it?

Cizak
2010-10-09, 04:18 PM
"They"? Rich knew the codes all along, he wrote them in the books. Also, there's a thread somewhere.

Fargazer
2010-10-09, 04:32 PM
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4909

Crisis21
2010-10-09, 04:38 PM
Also, there was never a single code for Haley's cryptograms. Each strip had a different key.

Steward
2010-10-09, 04:46 PM
Are you asking if the characters in the story ever figured it out? Roy and Vaarsuvius are the only ones who could have, and they didn't.

Dr.Epic
2010-10-09, 05:50 PM
Are you asking if the characters in the story ever figured it out? Roy and Vaarsuvius are the only ones who could have, and they didn't.

How are those two the only ones? In fact, how could anyone figure it out? Comprehend languages didn't work when Durkon cast it.

Marnath
2010-10-09, 05:56 PM
There's a new thread on this every couple months. The search function is your friend.

Cizak
2010-10-09, 06:18 PM
How are those two the only ones? In fact, how could anyone figure it out? Comprehend languages didn't work when Durkon cast it.

By writing down what she says and then do it like we do it?

Dr.Epic
2010-10-09, 07:00 PM
By writing down what she says and then do it like we do it?

Still, those two weren't the always around her. Not to mention they weren't always writing down what she said. Plus other literate people were around her so what's stopping them from doing the same. And the code varied from strip to strip so how could they deduce the code in that way? And we have to consider that they could have spelled the made up words wrong. The English language (or common as this is a D&D strip) has letters that can sound different: "c" can have the "k" or "s" sound. And "ph" makes the "f" sound to name a few examples.

Porthos
2010-10-09, 09:14 PM
Still, those two weren't the always around her. Not to mention they weren't always writing down what she said. Plus other literate people were around her so what's stopping them from doing the same. And the code varied from strip to strip so how could they deduce the code in that way? And we have to consider that they could have spelled the made up words wrong. The English language (or common as this is a D&D strip) has letters that can sound different: "c" can have the "k" or "s" sound. And "ph" makes the "f" sound to name a few examples.

Why would they go through all that trouble when they could just read her speech bubbles and copy it down? :smalltongue:

Dr.Epic
2010-10-09, 09:51 PM
Why would they go through all that trouble when they could just read her speech bubbles and copy it down? :smalltongue:

...:smallmad:...:smallannoyed:...:smallsigh:

Porthos
2010-10-09, 10:04 PM

...:smallmad:...:smallannoyed:...:smallsigh:

Don't look at me like that. It's a joke that's actually been used in the comic. :smalltongue:

I can't recall with 100% certainty if it's been used on the online comic. But it's definitely been used in the books. "How did you know I said 'Zykon'?"/"How did he know I said 'horde'?".

And if they can see the colors of the speech bubbles...

Besides, if fits the whole "breaking the Fourth Wall for the sake of a meta-joke" thing that this comic has going on. :smallwink:

Dr.Epic
2010-10-09, 10:09 PM
Don't look at me like that. It's a joke that's actually been used in the comic. :smalltongue:

I can't recall with 100% certainty if it's been used on the online comic. But it's definitely been used in the books. "How did you know I said 'Zykon'?"/"How did he know I said 'horde'?".

And if they can see the colors of the speech bubbles...

Besides, if fits the whole "breaking the Fourth Wall for the sake of a meta-joke" thing that this comic has going on. :smallwink:

But not reading speech bubbles and accessing the archives is too much breaking the fourth wall. Have some respect for the fourth wall. The guy's not in such great shape with all the jokes from this comic.

Porthos
2010-10-09, 10:22 PM
Have some respect for the fourth wall.

I'll start respecting it when Rich does. :smallwink:

Dr.Epic
2010-10-09, 10:23 PM
I'll start respecting it when Rich does. :smallwink:

Not good enough.

Porthos
2010-10-09, 10:39 PM
Not good enough.

I think you're just jealous that someone came up with an idea that is perfectly in keeping with this comic. :smallwink:

:elan:: I'm really worried, Roy. What if she has something important to tell us?
:belkar: (pointing at V): We could always have Captain Thesaurus over here read her speech bubbles and figure it out for us.
:roy:: BELKAR!
:belkar:: What? It's not like there's anything left of the Fourth Wall after all the abuse we've done to it.
*everyone glares at Belkar*
:belkar:: Fine. Be that way. But don't come running to me when people years from now keep complaining about having to translate all of this.

===

Anyway, I've made my not-so-serious point. So I'll drop it now. :smallwink:

Dr.Epic
2010-10-09, 10:42 PM
I think you're just jealous that someone came up with an idea that is perfectly in keeping with this comic. :smallwink:

:elan:: I'm really worried, Roy. What if she has something important to tell us?
:belkar: (pointing at V): We could always have Captain Thesaurus over here read her speech bubbles and figure it out for us.
:roy:: BELKAR!
:belkar:: What? It's not like there's anything left of the Fourth Wall after all the abuse we've done to it.
*everyone glares at Belkar*
:belkar:: Fine. Be that way. But don't come running to me when people years from now keep complaining about having to translate all of this.

===

Anyway, I've made my not-so-serious point. So I'll drop it now. :smallwink:

:smallannoyed:
I'm not even going to bother to respond in words anymore.

Ranylyn
2010-10-10, 12:04 AM
By the way... did Haley have any points in Language: Writing or whatever it's called in 3rd edition? (Old 2nd edition vet here, well, okay, not old, I started laying 2nd after 3rd came out) Because she could have just written what she wanted to say down... probably.

I mean, in Tales of Symphonia, Colette drew letters into Lloyd's palm for him to read when she lost her voice. Just saying.

Dr.Epic
2010-10-10, 12:07 AM
By the way... did Haley have any points in Language: Writing or whatever it's called in 3rd edition? (Old 2nd edition vet here, well, okay, not old, I started laying 2nd after 3rd came out) Because she could have just written what she wanted to say down... probably.

I mean, in Tales of Symphonia, Colette drew letters into Lloyd's palm for him to read when she lost her voice. Just saying.

3.5 works so that everyone (unless their a barb or took the trait illiterate) can read and write. She wouldn't have to have points in a skill.

Marnath
2010-10-10, 12:07 AM
In 3.5e, everyone but barbarians is assumed to automatically be able to read and write every language they speak.

*edit: Ninja'ed.

Ranylyn
2010-10-10, 12:14 AM
Ah, I really missed out on a lot, then. Mind you, I never played Version 3 on the principle that it violated the canon of the DragonLance series (and thus the world of Krynn,) by allowing cross class/hybridization, even though D&D is a vast multiverse.

It was a childish reason, to be sure, but at the time, I was so engrossed in the books and the lore that the very concept of a wizard not being limited to a staff and silver dagger (and in fact, allowing rogues to learn magic) really turned me off on it.

... but hey, who am I to talk, my first character I ever played was a drunken kender cleric who was the somehow the brightest person in the group with an intelligence of 8. >_<

faustin
2010-10-10, 05:21 AM
Maybe we should ask the Oracle. He already knows about the future traslation and has read all the strips. Only because the Pjs aren´t allowed to abuse his DEM power doesn´t mean WE cannot too. :smallwink:
The only problem is get the gold coins :smallfrown:

Dr.Epic
2010-10-10, 05:48 AM
Maybe we should ask the Oracle. He already knows about the future traslation and has read all the strips. Only because the Pjs aren´t allowed to abuse his DEM power doesn´t mean WE cannot too. :smallwink:
The only problem is get the gold coins :smallfrown:

Or maybe we can just use a free online translation because it's free and doesn't rely on fictional characters.

faustin
2010-10-10, 06:38 AM
Or maybe we can just use a free online translation because it's free and doesn't rely on fictional characters.

Sorry, i though the Forth Wall could be opened in two ways :smalltongue:

Dr.Epic
2010-10-10, 06:43 AM

It's like Terminator time travel rules. It only goes on way (unlike Julia Greenhilt).

Swordpriest
2010-10-10, 09:09 AM
There's a new thread on this every couple months. The search function is your friend.

Although I wish the mods would just sticky one of them ....

Anyway, I believe the whole point of this thread is to wonder if the OTHER OotS members ever figured out Haley's code, and if not, why didn't they just break the fourth wall to find out? I also think it's supposed to be mostly tongue-in-cheek, although some people are taking it seriously. :smallwink:

Kish
2010-10-10, 07:48 PM
It's like Terminator time travel rules. It only goes on way (unlike Julia Greenhilt).
Just as well. If that wasn't the case, Earth would likely be bowing down to Lord Xykon about now.

Gift Jeraff
2010-10-10, 07:53 PM
The door swings both ways, we could reverse the particle flow through the gate.

MrRigger
2010-10-10, 08:18 PM
As for the characters figuring it out, no they didn't. And as someone mentioned above, the translation changed comic to comic, and that was why the group couldn't figure it out. Her speech kept changing so that she couldn't be understood until she broke it herself, by confessing to Elan. Roy probably could have figured it out given time, and V certainly has a high enough Int score to do so with a few Int checks, but given that Haley's speech kept changing, they were unable to do so. Haley was keeping so many secrets, her mind made it so she kept everything secret, constantly changing her speech patterns to make sure no one could find out what she wanted to keep unknown, at the expense of communication.

MrRigger

Dr.Epic
2010-10-10, 10:44 PM
Just as well. If that wasn't the case, Earth would likely be bowing down to Lord Xykon about now.

Wait, would that be such a bad thing. Personally, I'd love to have a fictional comic book character as overlord.

faustin
2010-10-11, 04:54 AM
The door swings both ways, we could reverse the particle flow through the gate.

And only MAYBE that was the true origin of the Snarl, and the world V´s familiar saw inside was truly the Real Wolrd (Pretty similar when Lucifer in Vértigo comics tried to escape from his universe and he saw the comic pages)

As for the characters figuring it out, no they didn't. And as someone mentioned above, the translation changed comic to comic, and that was why the group couldn't figure it out. Her speech kept changing so that she couldn't be understood until she broke it herself, by confessing to Elan. Roy probably could have figured it out given time, and V certainly has a high enough Int score to do so with a few Int checks, but given that Haley's speech kept changing, they were unable to do so. Haley was keeping so many secrets, her mind made it so she kept everything secret, constantly changing her speech patterns to make sure no one could find out what she wanted to keep unknown, at the expense of communication.

Ok, that sounds pretty convincing to me.

Dr.Epic
2010-10-11, 04:57 AM
And only MAYBE that was the true origin of the Snarl, and the world V´s familiar saw inside was truly the Real Wolrd (Pretty similar when Lucifer in Vértigo comics tried to escape from his universe and he saw the comic pages)

Blackwing saw the Real World? Why would a crappy reality show on MTV be inside a rift?

Leecros
2010-10-11, 07:44 AM
Blackwing saw the Real World? Why would a crappy reality show on MTV be inside a rift?

because its his favorite channel?:smallyuk:

Kish
2010-10-11, 09:32 AM
And only MAYBE that was the true origin of the Snarl, and the world V´s familiar saw inside was truly the Real Wolrd
No, Rich clarified in the notes on Don't Split the Party that the world inside the rift is not our world.

Skull the Troll
2010-10-11, 02:30 PM
There just your basic anagram. Not really a difficult code. Heck you can guess most of what she says just from context and the number of letters in the words.