PDA

View Full Version : Spell-list Tweaks

Zach J.
2010-10-09, 06:10 PM
I'm trying to create a spell-list for my new character, a fifth level sorcerer. I have it here, but I'm worried that I won't have enough to do in a fight. I'm looking for suggestions on how to tweak my spell-list so that I have more to contribute during combat. I'm only using the SRD so please keep that in mind.

2: Alter Self, Invisibility
1: Alarm, Expeditious Retreat, Mage Armor, Magic Missile
0: Detect Magic, Light, Mage Hand, Message, Prestidigitation, Read Magic

Saph
2010-10-09, 06:17 PM
The main problem that I see is that 5 out of your 6 non-cantrip spells are defensive buffs of some kind. The only offensive spell you have is Magic Missile. There's not much you'll be able to do in a fight apart from shoot people for some weak damage.

I'd recommend switching out either Alter Self or Invisibility for something more offensive - Glitterdust is usually a good choice. I'd also switch out Alarm and possibly Expeditious Retreat as well - they're too niche. Good 1st-level offensive spells to include instead are Colour Spray, Ray of Enfeeblement, and especially Grease.

Coidzor
2010-10-09, 06:20 PM
Web is another contender for 2nd level slot, but I believe glitterdust edges it out for versatility.

Which is the name of the game for Sorcerers, have to have tools which can be applied to as broad of situations as possible.

Zach J.
2010-10-09, 06:22 PM
How's this look?

2: Alter Self, Glitterdust
1: Color Spray, Grease, Mage Armor, Magic Missile
0: Detect Magic, Light, Mage Hand, Prestidigitation, Read Magic