PDA

View Full Version : Overrun Actually Useful?

Tavar
2010-10-09, 07:03 PM
In a RL game I'm currently in, I'm playing a mounted Druid, using a modification of the UA druid variant where I gain favored enemy (as ranger), swift tracker (as ranger), and the Track feat (as ranger), loosing wildshape. So far it's...okay. Now, I'm looking at my 6th and 9th level feats(I seem not to have picked a 6th level feat....), and in my searchings I found the Cavalry Charger (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20031205a) tactical feat from Complete Warrior. Now, I know that overrun is never going to be an amazing combat option, but seems like this might have some promise. With a Large Horse/warhorse, you take up 10ft, plus a base movemenet speed of 50ft. Add some basic buffs on there(Animal Growth, longstrider), and if you're facing a couple of opponents you could be a real terror. Assuming that your mount can take the AOO, but hey, that's what stoneskin's for. Am I missing anything here, or would this be an effective strategy?

Seffbasilisk
2010-10-10, 02:32 AM
If you can eat the material component cost with each casting, or have some way to circumvent. Prepare for ride and concentration checks.

If you take Mounted Combat, you can replace your 'mount's' AC with your ride check for a round.

Tavar
2010-10-10, 09:31 AM
The group I'm in has some...interesting rules. Namely, you get gold equal to the experience you got each session, and you generally get enough xp to level up twice, if not more. Yeah, gold isn't a problem.

Why the checks, though? And I thought Mounted Combat only worked for 1 attack per round.

Thrawn183
2010-10-10, 11:07 AM
It depends on how many buff spells you're going to have to cast to pull it off. If you spend the first three rounds of combat not doing much productive every fight, I'd say it isn't viable.

Tavar
2010-10-10, 12:16 PM
Longstrider's hour per level, and while animal growth is needed for it to be really good, it's the only one that's really needed. I'm mainly considering stoneskin because we know that our next fight is going to be against and army, so getting some extra DR seems like a good idea.

There are a couple round per level spells that would be useful(body of the sun, maybe thornskin), but those are really only minor additions.

One question, though. What Kind of action is this tactic? Is it my mounts standard and move, or maybe it's Move and my standard? If the latter, could it double move?

And am I right that I'd be able to overrun all foes that my mount would cover?

Greenish
2010-10-10, 12:53 PM
One question, though. What Kind of action is this tactic? Is it my mounts standard and move, or maybe it's Move and my standard? If the latter, could it double move?Who knows? It's your mount making the move, and making the check, so it could be the mount's standard action, but the mounted combat rules being what they are…

And am I right that I'd be able to overrun all foes that my mount would cover?Yeah. Overrun requires you to move through the enemy's square, and Fell Trample lets you Trample several people, so it should work.