PDA

View Full Version : CL boosting tricks

Shade Kerrin
2010-10-09, 07:59 PM
So, I am looking to boost the CL of Force spells, in particular the 3rd level Chain Missile. I already have Arcane thesis and the two Reserve Force feats up for a total of 4, are there any other ways to do this?

Preferably something not dependant on race.

The-Mage-King
2010-10-09, 08:04 PM
So, I am looking to boost the CL of Force spells, in particular the 3rd level Chain Missile. I already have Arcane thesis and the two Reserve Force feats up for a total of 4, are there any other ways to do this?

Preferably something not dependant on race.

The spellgifted trait (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/buildingCharacters/characterTraits.htm#spellgifted), for the school of magic it's from... The only downside is a reduction in CL for all spells from other schools...

SurlySeraph
2010-10-09, 08:44 PM
Here are some ways. (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19872350/Raising_Caster_Level)

dextercorvia
2010-10-09, 08:58 PM
The link is nice, but these are some of my favorites.

Spell Thematics is nice. +1CL to one spell of each level, and you can change it when you gain new spells.

Wild Mage dip + Practiced Spellcaster adds 1d6 each time you cast the spell, and you have one CL left over to offset the Spellgifted penalty

Reserves of Strength is a Dragonlance feat that lets you boost the CL by 1-3, but you are either stunned for 1-3 rounds, or take damage if you are immune to stunning. Only really useful if you have crazy CL since it arguable removes the CL cap completely.

UMD a Bead of Karma -- Better for Buffs.

If a wizard take Spontaneous Divination and levels of Ultimate Magus. You get a CL bump at 1,4,6, and 10, IIRC. Spontaneous casters can take Arcane Preparation instead.

BTW, some of these play well together. Wild Mage and UM both have UMD as a class skill.

Greenish
2010-10-09, 09:03 PM
If a wizard take Spontaneous Divination and levels of Ultimate Magus. You get a CL bump at 1,4,6, and 10, IIRC. Spontaneous casters can take Arcane Preparation instead.Arcane Preparation won't work, since UM specifies that the spells must be prepared from a spellbook. :smallyuk:

Shade Kerrin
2010-10-10, 12:52 AM
Thanks, gotta love the fast response time.

So from what I've got from here, I can achieve a CL of 20 at 10 without too much difficulty, which is enough for my needs