PDA

View Full Version : Spellstitched: What.

shadow_archmagi
2010-10-10, 10:52 AM
Spellstiched is a cool idea. I mean, skeletons rule, why not LASER skeletons?

Trouble is, it makes no sense as given.

1. It functions off of the undead's WISDOM score, which doesn't make any sense. Monsters were not assigned WIS scores with "how many lasers should this creature have" in mind.

2. It costs a flat 1000 GP, but 500 times the creatures wisdom score in XP. What.

2A. This means that the base XP cost of making a spellstiched is preposterously high. Minimum of 10 wis means 10x500=5000. For the same 5000 XP, you could craft 125,000 GP worth of magic items.

2B. The cost doesn't scale at all well. The cost of the weakest undead is 5000; the strongest is 9500. A ninth level character, freshly able to cast 5th level spells, could build four powerful undead able to do the very same. A 20th level character could spellstitch 38 skeletons, or nineteen noxious nightshades. (TRY SAYING IT THREE TIMES QUICK I DARE YOU)

Frankly this system makes no sense.

Adumbration
2010-10-10, 11:02 AM
It's almost worth it if you spellstitch yourself at moderately low wisdom score. The spell resistance is decent.

WinWin
2010-10-10, 11:30 AM
It kind of makes sense for a mummy. If you are going to the trouble of burying some priest-king in an elaborate tomb, why not go all out with the lasers?

tahu88810
2010-10-10, 11:48 AM
I am very disappointed.
Here I was, expecting some kind of raving technoghast made up entirely of fluorescent lights and glowsticks because of all the laser talk, and all I got upon looking it up was some undead that can shoot spells from their hands like robots.

Also, I'd take the exp cost to have been a misspelling. I'd assume that they really meant it to be 500xwisdom modifier or something similarly less insane.

shadow_archmagi
2010-10-10, 01:34 PM
Also, I'd take the exp cost to have been a misspelling. I'd assume that they really meant it to be 500xwisdom modifier or something similarly less insane.

There really doesn't seem to be a way that this system can become sane with just one change. Making it wisdom modifier is closer to sensible but still a long ways off.

Otodetu
2010-10-10, 04:47 PM
Yea the monster-manual 2 is full of pearls like this, like the developers where on drugs or something.

love the ELEMENTAL WEIRD.
cr 12, casts spells as level 18 sorcerers.
More than powerful enough without the spells.

SurlySeraph
2010-10-10, 05:42 PM
500 x Wis modifier would make Spellstitched rather too powerful. As is, Spellstitched Necropolitan is a lot like adding 12 levels of Sorcerer casting for 12,500 xp and 4,000 gp. Fewer spells per day, a lot less choice, and requires high Wis, of course, but pretty close.

Take a 6th-level cleric (19 Wis) and throw on Necropolitan and Spell-Stitched. Now that cleric is 2nd-level but can cast a 6th-level spell. He'll be horrendously squishy and bad at melee for a while, but since lower levels take less xp he'll get nearly caught up to the rest of the party before too long. And it's easier than going into Mystic Theurge if you're not going to go past 13th level.

Fable Wright
2010-10-10, 06:01 PM
Quick fix might be 1000gp + 500GP/point of wisdom. 1/25 the cost in xp as normal. Your average skeleton costs an extra 6000 gp, but it gains some SLAs that are worth noting. And it keeps it from the hands of low-level clerics, but it remains a viable mechanic at the lower mid-levels, when it was intended to come into play.

shadow_archmagi
2010-10-10, 06:12 PM
That sounds pretty reasonable. Of course, I doubt I'll ever get to see this in a game, except for the one I dm in which case what do I care what it costs?

Dimers
2010-10-10, 11:42 PM
If you like using symbol spells, the huge XP cost could well be worth it -- as SLAs, the symbols wouldn't cost a thousand gold a pop.

A warlock emulating the Arcane Disciple feat or an arcane caster who actually has the feat could put in some daily uses of desecrate. Handy for an arcane necromancer, eh?

And speaking of "What.", how about phantom steed or grease for a silly-looking spellstitched SLA? Or, of course, there are plenty of spells in the Book of Exalted Deeds that qualify ... :smallbiggrin:

Starbuck_II
2010-10-11, 08:19 AM
It's almost worth it if you spellstitch yourself at moderately low wisdom score. The spell resistance is decent.

Take a huge amount of Wisdom damage then Spellstich yourself?

Malbordeus
2010-10-11, 08:38 AM
nah, bestow curse on yourself (choosing -6 wisdom, you can end the spell any time you like :P) (or mindpoison your party) and do it.

Ernir
2010-10-11, 09:33 AM
Take a huge amount of Wisdom damage then Spellstich yourself?

Brilliant.

Makes sense too. If you're not doped/cursed/drained of all earthly wisdom, it probably is very difficult to hammer a spell into one's own skin.

shadow_archmagi
2010-10-11, 10:28 AM
Why take the WIS damage first? You're already paying around 5000 XP and all the benefits increase considerably by even just kicking it up to 7500

Starbuck_II
2010-10-11, 01:45 PM
Why take the WIS damage first? You're already paying around 5000 XP and all the benefits increase considerably by even just kicking it up to 7500

Because you will heal the wisdom damage and then gain all those abilities for cheaper.