PDA

View Full Version : What to put on a DM Screen? [3.5]

Dusk Eclipse
2010-10-10, 02:08 PM
For my birthday a friend got me a DM Screen, the thing is that she got me the 4e screen, and I (try to) DM 3.5, so what do you guys think I should put on the inside of the screen?

HunterOfJello
2010-10-10, 02:11 PM
pictures of the players heads on nude bodies. if they ever sneak a peak behind the screen, you'll be able to tell from their reactions

Dusk Eclipse
2010-10-10, 02:13 PM
pictures of the players heads on nude bodies. if they ever sneak a peak behind the screen, you'll be able to tell from their reactions

That, while amusing is not really what I was hoping for....might keep it in reserve if I ever get to the point where I must make sure they don' see behind the screen

Dubious Pie
2010-10-10, 02:13 PM
No, that goes on the outside. :smalltongue:

Raistlin1040
2010-10-10, 02:18 PM
CR addition table (CR X+CR Y=CR Z), and CR/XP tables in general. Loot table. Any houserules you play with. Any rules you use but don't have the book for. Important NPCs, and an NPC name generator table. Those are things I would use if I had a screen.

Greenish
2010-10-10, 02:18 PM
Spikes, upon which to impale the character sheets of the fallen characters.

More seriously, cheat sheets of the rules you don't remember by heart (such as grapple rules), probably a sheet with AC, Saves, Spot and Listen modifiers and so forth of the PCs, and the following text, on large, friendly letters: Don't panic.

Eldan
2010-10-10, 02:32 PM
Two things are the most important for me:
A list of 20-30 NPC names in different styles (short names for gang members, impressive names for nobles and so on), because I can't for the life of me make up a name on the spot.
A short summary of the saves, important skill modifiers and AC of all characters.

Often, I' also pinned up a map of the relevant area, and since I often DM Planescape, a summary of magical and environmental conditions on different planes.

Dusk Eclipse
2010-10-10, 02:42 PM
Ok, I think I'll go with the CR tables, the loot table (probably will use the ones on MIC).
....probably some random names becuase yeah I suck at them too (even for my characters).

Would a flow-chart of how I expect the adventures to go be ok?

And I will definetly print the grapple rules...

Cubey
2010-10-10, 02:52 PM
This (http://verdoux.files.wordpress.com/2009/06/all-work-and-no-play-makes-jack-a-dull-boy.jpg). Typewritten, not printed.

Tyndmyr
2010-10-10, 02:59 PM
Yes. Do that. If the players discover it and act like it's unusual, say that you HAVE been thinking of a new sentence, and it's ever so kind of them to volunteer to do it for you.

Pechvarry
2010-10-10, 03:50 PM
The only other thing I think might be worth adding is a list of what does and doesn't provoke AoOs.

Tyndmyr
2010-10-10, 03:52 PM
I actually find the CR/XP and random loot charts quite handy. Any random generation table you use frequently, really, because looking up tables sucks pretty badly for slowing down gameplay.

The 4e pictures on the DM screen do look cool, too.

valadil
2010-10-10, 08:53 PM
1) Rules I'm unlikely to remember, but expect to need. Grappling/tripping/disarming etc.

2) Random names. If the players see me think about a name they know the NPC is a nobody. I'd rather not give them the chance to metagame. I include male names, female names, last names, town names, tavern names, and assorted titles.

3) Character specifics. I have a chart of who has what skills trained. I've also highlighted unique skills (so that if a player needs a chance to shine I can look up what skills only their character has) and party untrained skills, so that if I wanna make the players look like chumps I can ask for skills they don't know. In other systems this is where I'd also record flaws, advantages, phobias, etc.