PDA

View Full Version : Newbie is new

zyborg
2010-10-10, 04:09 PM
I'm new to Dungeons and Dragons. I've only played one successful scenario with my gaming club, and that was with pre-made characters. I recently bought the starter set for Dungeons and Dragons (pretty sure it is version 4), and it helps me make fighters, wizards, clerics, and rogues. However, I'm looking to make other characters, and am looking for other resources. Any idea what websites I should be looking at, and where I can find a "newbie's" scenario to play with others?

Dusk Eclipse
2010-10-10, 04:23 PM
I don´t know for 4e (but I believe someone has a link to free 4e on his/her sig, but for 3.5 you can try the d20SRD (http://www.d20srd.org/) which has almost all the core rules, plus a few other things (like psionics)

zyborg
2010-10-10, 04:30 PM
... I LOVE this site. I've been getting responses almost instantaneously. Thanks so much.

Ravens_cry
2010-10-10, 04:41 PM
It's a newbie!:smallsmile:
Welcome, good gentlebeing, welcome!
I started out just as you have done, I even started with a pre-genned character fourth edition character. I played a rogue. With the way 4th edition works, if you want different kinds of characters you are going to have to buy more books or borrow them from friends.
But welcome, I hope you enjoy this hobby as much as many of us have.

Dusk Eclipse
2010-10-10, 04:47 PM
Now that I remember, I think you can download a 4e basic character builder from wizards site... IIRC you can only build up to level 3 characters

zyborg
2010-10-10, 04:56 PM
Thanks for all of your help. The link was very helpful, and I will be sure to check out the official site as well.

Flickerdart
2010-10-10, 05:07 PM
If you can get your hands on the Free RPG Day version of Dark Sun (it should be all over the internets) it had something like 8 different 1st level characters and a little module to go with them.

dariathalon
2010-10-10, 05:11 PM
The biggest advice I would give is don't try to learn both systems at once. 3.5 edition is very different from 4th edition. Both systems have their merits, but for someone just learning, it will be very confusing trying to keep them straight. The editions are not at all compatible with each other. Decide which system you're interested in learning first and go to it. Later you can always try to come back and look at learning the other one.

For 3.5 the best website to learn from is probably d20 srd that was already linked. In my experience this system is more complicated (though that could be because I personally haven't delved too deeply into how complex 4e can get).

For 4e, I would recommend the wotc website. They have d&d insider. It is a subscription based system, but has everything you'll want to build a character and the like. I would also recommend getting your hands on at least the three basic books, just so you know how the rules of play work once you have a character made.

Morph Bark
2010-10-10, 05:42 PM
... I LOVE this site. I've been getting responses almost instantaneously. Thanks so much.

This I imagined being said with the voice of the gnome from the 4E cartoons. For that reason, I already like you!

So then, welcome to GiantITP and to DnD! :smallsmile:

zyborg
2010-10-10, 06:09 PM
Cartoons? What cartoons? Only one I know of is the old one...

Dusk Eclipse
2010-10-10, 06:16 PM
Cartoons? What cartoons? Only one I know of is the old one...

Enjoy (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4UqFPujRZWo) this masterpiece of web animation:smallwink:

dariathalon
2010-10-10, 06:23 PM
I prefer the demogorgon and the gnome (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5KqjOGdOMtA&feature=related).

mobdrazhar
2010-10-10, 08:16 PM
i reiterate Dusk Eclipe's idea of downloading the character builder from the wizards site. The trial version which you dl does only allow you to create upto level 3 characters and is limited in what you can use as it isn't patched to the latest updates but even with what it has it's really useful to someone just starting out in 4e.

I would also recommend unlocking the rest of it with the once off $10 DDI account as it will give you access to almost all the books as well as almost all the dragon ariticle releases.

Drenn
2010-10-10, 08:46 PM
I've been DMing 4e games for about two years now, so if you have any edition specific questions I may be able to help you out.

If you're GMing, I highly recommend the site roleplaying tips (http://www.roleplayingtips.com/) for their news letter. It's not 4e specific, but it has tons and tone of great ideas.

Dusk Eclipse
2010-10-10, 08:51 PM
i reiterate Dusk Eclipe's idea of downloading the character builder from the wizards site. The trial version which you dl does only allow you to create upto level 3 characters and is limited in what you can use as it isn't patched to the latest updates but even with what it has it's really useful to someone just starting out in 4e.

I would also recommend unlocking the rest of it with the once off $10 DDI account as it will give you access to almost all the books as well as almost all the dragon ariticle releases.

If you do decide to buy the subscription to DDI for one month, I suggest you wait to the 12th, since I believe then is when WotC will make a mayor update of the builder, including Darksun Campaing setting, D&D Essentials and Psionic powers (and all the other books + Dragon magazines that have been released up until now)

In fact I am doing that.

TheThan
2010-10-10, 09:29 PM
i posted this in some other thread a while back. but i think it bears repeating

Thethan’s guide to starting roleplaying games:

part one- So you want to be a role player.

So you’re interested in this weird thing called role-playing. Well first thing is that you need people to play with. Friends come to mind first of all, but if you don’t have any (or don’t have any that are interested in it), then your next course of action is to try to get into an existing group. There are lots of different ways to go about this, libraries, college hobby clubs, local gaming stores etc. If you can’t find one then your last recourse is to go online.

Now you need to decide on what rules you want to use. I recommend DnD 4E, the books are easy to find (local bookstore should have some handy), and it is very new player friendly. But its not the only game out there, there are plenty of other systems to choose from. Now that you have some books and hopefully some people to play with, you need to decide on who’s going to be the DM. Since you’re initiating the whole thing, its probably going to be you.

The Dm is the one in charge of the game, he provides the encounters, directs the general action and provides a story, and not to mention he’s in charge of making sure everyone is having fun. The Dm should have a lot of knowledge about the system that you’re using.

After that you’re going to need to get some , if you’re playing dnd, you’ll need [b]polyhedral dice. There are seven of them, 4 sided, 6 sided, 8 sided, 10 sided, 12, sided, 20 sided, and lastly the percentile dice, which are two 10 sided dice, with one representing the 10s digit and the other, the 1s digit. You can easily order them online or download a dice roller (though part of the fun is rolling your own dice) if you can’t find any place that sells them. Now if you’re not using dnd, a lot of other systems use standard 6 sided dice, which you can get from just about anywhere (board games come to mind).

There are tons of other gaming aids out there, grid maps and paper, miniatures, all sorts of things come up. You’ll probably want to start getting this stuff in the future, but right now the only other item you’ll need is a few pencils (preferably with erasers) and blank paper. All and all this should run you about $100, as the books cost a bit of money and you’ll need the “core three” to start with. They are the dungeon’s master’s guide the player’s handbook and the monster manual. You might be able to find the books on Amazon.com or Ebay at a discount so that might be a good place to look. There are plenty of supplemental books that you can look into, but I wouldn’t bother until you get a good grasp of the system.

After you’ve gathered this stuff its time to start learning the game. This means you get to do a lot of reading. I’d start with the first to or so pages of the DMG (dungeon master’s guide), or whatever the equivalent is as it should give you a good understanding of what your getting into, though if your reading this then I suspect you already have an idea. Take your time there is no need to rush, the important thing is that you understand what you’re reading. Now if you haven’t noticed the DMG guide doesn’t really have a lot of information on the system, well at least none that you’re likely to understand right away. That’s because the PHB is where all that’s written, which happens to be the next stop. Each chapter of the book should deal with a different aspect of the system. You can read them in any order you like. I would start with the first chapter, then skip down to the adventuring chapter, combat chapter, then I would go back and read the chapters that deal with characters, lastly any equipment or magic chapters as they’re not important to understanding what your doing. After you have read all this, and understand at least the basics of it, then its time to go back and read the rest of the DMG.

Now that you have a basic understanding of roleplaying and a basic understanding of the system, you can try your hand at actually doing something. I’m talking about character generation here. Open up your
players handbook and follow the directions it gives you. When you’re done you should have a level 1 character. Feel free to show it to other gamers if you’re not sure about it, he/she should be able to point out any glaring mistakes you make (this site is helpful in that regards). Now the most important thing is to not worry about mistakes, you will make them. it also pays to constantly read the books, the more you read it, the better you'll grasp the system.

now that you have an understanding of the rules, and a character we can move on to part two.

unfortunately I never got around to making part two. that's a project for another day.

mobdrazhar
2010-10-10, 09:35 PM
i looked at thier schedule for this month and saw nothing about an update.

where did you see that

Dusk Eclipse
2010-10-10, 09:57 PM
i looked at thier schedule for this month and saw nothing about an update.

where did you see that

Here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=171004&highlight=Update) and here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=171004&highlight=Update) though upon further reading it only mentions the character builder and the compendium.

mobdrazhar
2010-10-10, 10:00 PM
Here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=171004&highlight=Update) and here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=171004&highlight=Update) though upon further reading it only mentions the character builder and the compendium.

Thanks for that.

I was getting close to rage point as i hadn't seen anything about it

Knaight
2010-10-10, 10:12 PM
I'm obligated to point out that D&D is one of many roleplaying game systems, and that there are quite a few free ones. I prefer Fudge (http://www.fudgerpg.com/), which works with any genre, is quite lightweight, is capable of being very realistic for how rules light it is, and is generally a polished and functional game, and among the free ones. Other games worth looking into include GURPS and Risus, if sticking to free form.

As for gaming, you can always game over the internet to some extent, the giantitp chatroom has people who can get you started, and there are others as well. Have fun!