PDA

View Full Version : Permanent Silence

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-10-10, 04:36 PM
Been looking, but can't seem to locate an item, spell or effect that produces Silence permanently if needed.

I'm working on an NPC who uses a shotgun, and though I could homebrew a Silenced weapon, I also want him immune to verbal effects.

Any actual things out there a character could buy?

Valameer
2010-10-10, 04:49 PM
It may not be exactly what you need, but you can have a silence spell last for a year combined with a hallow spell. Set it to silence everyone except for you within the radius.

It hampers your NPC's mobility, though... unless you set the hallow on a 'structure' like an airship.

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-10-10, 05:05 PM
It may not be exactly what you need, but you can have a silence spell last for a year combined with a hallow spell. Set it to silence everyone except for you within the radius.

It hampers your NPC's mobility, though... unless you set the hallow on a 'structure' like an airship.
Hmm, that's actually quite interesting. Hadn't thought about that. Have a use for it, though not like I was thinking.

Can still use a mobile item of silence however. Or a creature that can cast or use silence as a natural ability.

Eloel
2010-10-10, 05:34 PM
Or a creature that can cast or use silence as a natural ability.

That would be Whisper Gnome, a 0LA race from Races of Stone.

They can use it 1/day normally. 3+Cha Mod/day with a single feat.

Edit: And, obviously, he's a gnome, so 'tinkering' to create a Shotgun is right up their alley, even if they're a less 'inventive' sub-race.

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-10-10, 05:57 PM
That would be Whisper Gnome, a 0LA race from Races of Stone.

They can use it 1/day normally. 3+Cha Mod/day with a single feat.

Edit: And, obviously, he's a gnome, so 'tinkering' to create a Shotgun is right up their alley, even if they're a less 'inventive' sub-race.
Dang, that would be nice. Using a Warforged as the base creature, however. Is an undead hunter, and his immunities help him out a lot more than just silence, but that's something to remember.

He can gain spell-like abilities by vivisection, but he's lawful good so only unintelligent creatures will he actually vivisect.

Dubious Pie
2010-10-10, 05:59 PM
Permanency works on Silence, I think.

RS14
2010-10-10, 06:05 PM
Permanency works on Silence, I think.

No, it doesn't. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/permanency.htm)

The Glyphstone
2010-10-10, 06:08 PM
He can gain spell-like abilities by vivisection, but he's lawful good so only unintelligent creatures will he actually vivisect.

So where's the problem in vivisecting a whisper gnome again?:smallwink:

Darrin
2010-10-10, 06:42 PM
Any actual things out there a character could buy?

Yes. Buy a sharp metal object. Whatever is making noise, hit it repeatedly with the sharp metal object until it's at 0 HP or lower. It should now be permanently silent.

Kosjsjach
2010-10-10, 07:02 PM
Since no item seems to already exist, you're now in the realm of custom magic items. Using the guidelines (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/creatingMagicItems.htm), a single-use item of silence would cost 300gp. An unlimited-use command-word-activated item would cost 10'800gp (or 2'160gp per charge per day (if less than 5)), while a continuous ("permanent") item of silence would cost a whopping 24'000gp.

So yeah. It's a bit cost-prohibitive.

Nanoblack
2010-10-10, 07:31 PM
There are some fairly expensive shackles of silence in the BoED, it says the are surrounded by a 5ft field of silence so that might work toward your ends.

Ravens_cry
2010-10-10, 07:51 PM
Or 'just' make a continuous item of silence. That's 24,000 gp by the Item Creation guidelines, half that if you making it yourself, and even less if you're allowed to use user restrictions.

Jothki
2010-10-10, 08:40 PM
Hmm, Permanent Emanation requires that the spell's range be an emanation from you. Does Silence's enamation from any target count for that, as long as you're only casting it on yourself?

And it's probably also way too high for your NPC, and requires you to be able to cast the spell.

Private-Prinny
2010-10-10, 09:08 PM
No, it doesn't. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/permanency.htm)

I'm going to contest that. Since, by the look of it, Vorpal is the DM of this particular game, he can just say that Permanency does, in fact, work on Silence, should someone research that particular use. The little note about DM allowance is missing from the SRD, but it's in the PHB.

It might not fly if he was a player, but since he's (probably) DM, and it's written into the spell description, it's a far cry from DM Fiat.

Rhuadin
2010-10-10, 11:06 PM
What if you set up a magic trap that proximity triggered a Silence field? After all, if there's noise but no one around to hear it, does it make a sound? :)

PairO'Dice Lost
2010-10-11, 01:41 AM
Possibly dubious method:

Set up the hallow + silence effect under a tree from which you craft an acorn of far travel. Since you count as being "under the tree's canopy" or some such while carrying the acorn and the tree's canopy is subject to the silence effect....

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-10-11, 08:09 AM
Heh, I got what I needed. Forgot at the level my guy is that he can clone mindless copies of a creature to vivisect and gain ability. So he got a few whisper gnome hairs...

So where's the problem in vivisecting a whisper gnome again?
*snrk* :smallamused:

Whisper gnomes are people to. It's not like they're kender or anything.

I'm going to contest that. Since, by the look of it, Vorpal is the DM of this particular game, he can just say that Permanency does, in fact, work on Silence, should someone research that particular use. The little note about DM allowance is missing from the SRD, but it's in the PHB.
Actually, what's going on is in the homebrew forums there is a monthly PrC competition. This month is a horror-themed one for Halloween, and most have submitted undead controlling, aberration infect, etc entries, and I submitted a monster hunting and dissecting one.

For fun, and to help balance my and their PrC's, I'm designing a Monstrumologist build to be the one hunting each of their example NPCs.

I finished up the one I made this thread for last night:
Doc Buckshot (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=9525204&postcount=373)